ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals 

Post#1 » by Anklebreaker702 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:07 am

I hope everyone got a chance to see the replay of this classic, classic game. I was watching it & it brought back memories of how much of a machine this team was. For those of you who are too young to have seen or either remembered this game live got a treat. Magic single handedly kept us in the game. Worthy was having a terrible 1st half & came out emfuego in the second half. To come from behind like that against Boston in the garden was unheard of. The way the game ended was astounding. Everyone was looking for the Lakers to back inside to KAJ like they did to get within 1 the previous play (KAJ missed the 2nd FT & Boston knocked it out of bounds to give the ball back to the Lakers) They set him low in the post again & Magic came across with the baby hook! Wonderful, wonderful win for the franchise. If some of you younger guys are wondering why Michael & the Bulls weren't there, these were the teams they couldn't get past yet. Boston & Detroit were monsters in the East & the Bulls couldn't get past either team until they began to age & decline. Chime in & let me know what you guys thought about Game 4 or any other thoughts as well.
VETERAN LAKER FAN
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Re: Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals 

Post#2 » by El Hardee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:41 pm

I was in 7th grade and I remember running into my moms room jumping up and down and screaming to the point where it upset her. I think I even got a little teary eyed, great moment indeed.
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#3 » by El Hardee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:42 pm

I was in 7th grade and I remember running into my moms room jumping up and down and screaming to the point where it upset her. I think I even got a little teary eyed, great moment indeed.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#4 » by Anklebreaker702 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:38 am

El Hardee wrote:I was in 7th grade and I remember running into my moms room jumping up and down and screaming to the point where it upset her. I think I even got a little teary eyed, great moment indeed.
Lol that's what that team did for us, I was a senior & they took the title on graduation day, we were lining up to go in the auditorium for game 6 & they won it as we were all watching on our friends pocket TV (which was a really big deal then) lol
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Verbal
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Verbal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:19 am

anklebreaker702 wrote:I hope everyone got a chance to see the replay of this classic, classic game. I was watching it & it brought back memories of how much of a machine this team was. For those of you who are too young to have seen or either remembered this game live got a treat. Magic single handedly kept us in the game. Worthy was having a terrible 1st half & came out emfuego in the second half. To come from behind like that against Boston in the garden was unheard of. The way the game ended was astounding. Everyone was looking for the Lakers to back inside to KAJ like they did to get within 1 the previous play (KAJ missed the 2nd FT & Boston knocked it out of bounds to give the ball back to the Lakers) They set him low in the post again & Magic came across with the baby hook! Wonderful, wonderful win for the franchise. If some of you younger guys are wondering why Michael & the Bulls weren't there, these were the teams they couldn't get past yet. Boston & Detroit were monsters in the East & the Bulls couldn't get past either team until they began to age & decline. Chime in & let me know what you guys thought about Game 4 or any other thoughts as well.

Nope.

Is it in on ESPN Classic?

I'll see if it's on my available channels.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#6 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:09 am

The "Baby Hook" by Magic for the win ! Man that was the game that propelled the Lakers to go for the Back to Back.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Hunter103
Assistant Coach
And1: 93

Post#7 » by Hunter103 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:46 am

I watched it, and I couldn't help thinking how different the league was back then, how good both those teams were since talent wasn't diluted between 72 teams.

What struck me the most though was when A.C. Green(!) socked Kevin McHale in the face. The result? The refs assessed a double technical, no big deal :D
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#8 » by Anklebreaker702 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:34 am

Verbal wrote:
anklebreaker702 wrote:I hope everyone got a chance to see the replay of this classic, classic game. I was watching it & it brought back memories of how much of a machine this team was. For those of you who are too young to have seen or either remembered this game live got a treat. Magic single handedly kept us in the game. Worthy was having a terrible 1st half & came out emfuego in the second half. To come from behind like that against Boston in the garden was unheard of. The way the game ended was astounding. Everyone was looking for the Lakers to back inside to KAJ like they did to get within 1 the previous play (KAJ missed the 2nd FT & Boston knocked it out of bounds to give the ball back to the Lakers) They set him low in the post again & Magic came across with the baby hook! Wonderful, wonderful win for the franchise. If some of you younger guys are wondering why Michael & the Bulls weren't there, these were the teams they couldn't get past yet. Boston & Detroit were monsters in the East & the Bulls couldn't get past either team until they began to age & decline. Chime in & let me know what you guys thought about Game 4 or any other thoughts as well.

Nope.

Is it in on ESPN Classic?

I'll see if it's on my available channels.
Verb it came on an hour after the Rockets game on Fox Sports
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#9 » by Anklebreaker702 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:38 am

Hunter103 wrote:I watched it, and I couldn't help thinking how different the league was back then, how good both those teams were since talent wasn't diluted between 72 teams.

What struck me the most though was when A.C. Green(!) socked Kevin McHale in the face. The result? The refs assessed a double technical, no big deal :D
Lol, Hunter can you imagine the heat the ref would have caught for kicking 1 of those players out?! WOW! Again great game & that was the only decade we had the upper hand on the C's head to head in the finals
VETERAN LAKER FAN
salmahayek
Senior
And1: 5

Post#10 » by salmahayek » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:25 am

Unquestionably one of the greatest wins in Laker history. Absolutely astonishing.

I'd say the '87 team is probably my favorite all - time if I had to pick one.

It was special to me after losing to the Rockets in the Conference Finals in '86 to that fluke Sampson shot. The vision of Michael Cooper laying on the floor in disgust and disbelief...I still see it like yesterday.

It was perceived that the Lakers failed and would continue to fail against the "Twin Towers", Sampson and Olajuwon.

Jerry West had a deal on the table with the Mavericks in the offseason, essentially James Worthy for Mark Aguirre and Roy Tarpley. Pat Riley lobbied hard to keep the team together, West and Jerry Buss listened and said no the deal.

Riley tweaked the Lakers making Magic the focal point as he went on to win his first league MVP, as opposed to Kareem (who was still a huge force) and the Lakers ran their way all the way to the title. The "Twin Towers" became an afterthought, the Lakers defeated the '86 Celtics who many annoited as the best of all - time to that point, and then springboarded themselves to the first back - to - back titles in the NBA in 19 years in 1988.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#11 » by Anklebreaker702 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:04 am

salmahayek wrote:Unquestionably one of the greatest wins in Laker history. Absolutely astonishing.

I'd say the '87 team is probably my favorite all - time if I had to pick one.

It was special to me after losing to the Rockets in the Conference Finals in '86 to that fluke Sampson shot. The vision of Michael Cooper laying on the floor in disgust and disbelief...I still see it like yesterday.

It was perceived that the Lakers failed and would continue to fail against the "Twin Towers", Sampson and Olajuwon.

Jerry West had a deal on the table with the Mavericks in the offseason, essentially James Worthy for Mark Aguirre and Roy Tarpley. Pat Riley lobbied hard to keep the team together, West and Jerry Buss listened and said no the deal.

Riley tweaked the Lakers making Magic the focal point as he went on to win his first league MVP, as opposed to Kareem (who was still a huge force) and the Lakers ran their way all the way to the title. The "Twin Towers" became an afterthought, the Lakers defeated the '86 Celtics who many annoited as the best of all - time to that point, and then springboarded themselves to the first back - to - back titles in the NBA in 19 years in 1988.
Not only did Riley lobby, Jerry West told Dr. Buss if he made that trade he would quit. People don't realize how instrumental JW was to those championship teams. If he wasn't on the Lakers he would have been a top 3 scorer in the league at the very least. He averaged 40 ppg in the Finals against the Bad Boys even without Magic & Scott on the floor in '89. Someone started a thread about the favorite Laker team of all time & I voted the '87 team myself :D
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Verbal
Banned User

Post#12 » by Verbal » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:39 pm

I'll look for the game soon.. :P

Thanks for the reminders.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#13 » by Anklebreaker702 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:10 am

Verbal wrote:I'll look for the game soon.. :P

Thanks for the reminders.

It'll be fun verb. If I'm not mistaked I believe FSP anounced Sunday's will be classic Lakers games :D
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Verbal
Banned User

Post#14 » by Verbal » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 am

I don't watch Fox Sports as much as I should.

I'll have to cop the dvd or something.

That's the dynasty series, "yaomang?" :wave:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers