ImageImageImageImageImage

Speculation about 10 day contracts for PG spot...

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

lakeshow248
Senior
And1: 1

Speculation about 10 day contracts for PG spot... 

Post#1 » by lakeshow248 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:25 pm

I think it starts at Jan 4th or 5th, when ten days contracts can be used. Lakers' don't play till the 2nd so a couple of days after that expect someone like Coby Karl.

For what ever reason I think the money tied up in Luke and Vlad is really hindering their player movement. It appears they are sold on just keeping Odom so they can just use his money to pay Bynum next year.

I think they are so close right now and in the finals it will be 50-50 to beat the Cetlics. If they could add a Wallace or Jackson and not worry about next years cap number then they could increase their chances of winning to say 70-30.

I'm sure Boston will be adding a big man soon. However the Lakers' might not add anything and just sit and hope they have enough. I would love for Mitch to be pro-active and go get the starting SF that we need. Crazier things have happened and Kobe not being here next year is an outside chance but why not go for the gusto and get a title this year or at least add to our chances of getting one.
fareweatherfan
Senior

Re: Lakers PG will be filled by 10 day contracts... 

Post#2 » by fareweatherfan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Do you have a source for your statements or are you just speculating? Difficult to tell.

If you are speculating, I agree with many of thoughts. I support using 10 days while continuing to gauge the trade market. I also don't support moving LO for a high paid long term salary unless the player in return will absolutely put us over the top (and I'm not sure anyone fits this bill).

I don't, however, think the Lakers will "just sit and hope they have enough." I think we have been and will continue to be extremely proactive in trying to improve our roster. We have some extremely valuable pieces (e.g. LO and Jordan-in the right system) but also some pieces that will be very hard to move (e.g. Vlad and Luke). The key for us is to make a trade suitor take a bad piece to get a good piece.
lakeshow248
Senior

Post#3 » by lakeshow248 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:43 pm

No source just common sense, the start of 10 day contracts is the first week in January and they haven't added anybody yet so I assume that is what is going to happen.

As well Hinrich is expected to be back in 2 or 3 weeks but his health and length of contract might be too much to ask unless the Lakers' got Gooden's expiring contract and they took on Luke or Vlad. Just doesn't seem likely.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#4 » by dockingsched » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:45 pm

the idea they'd sign a player to a ten day contract goes against everything mitch has been saying about the need for a backup pg.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#5 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm

How do you know what the Lakers are going to do ? There will be no such thing, if the 1 spot is filled it'll be filled with a veteran player who has knowledge of the system none if which a 10 day player would have. So as much as you say it's common sense it really isn't. A 10 day player would be a waste of money for a guy who'll never get on the court.

I agree with dcash............Mitch has been railing for a point, a 10 day guy defies logic.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#6 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:24 pm

The title is false. You're assuming things and stating them as facts, misleading posters. I've pointed this out to you twice already. Why not try, "Could the Lakers PG spot be filled by 10 day contracts?"

I'm going to lock this because you've been asked nicely, twice. And if you open a new thread asking why I locked this one, you' get a warning. Again, read the rules up top — both the RGM regular rules and the Lakers board rules.

Furthermore, use the trade thread for this type of speculation, please. If you feel violated by my moding, just copy and paste into the trade thread.

EDIT: I edited the title for you.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers