ImageImageImageImageImage

Losing respect for LBJ...is it just me?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Re: Losing respect for LBJ...is it just me? 

Post#21 » by Dexmor » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:59 pm

MJ and Kobe are the best players in league history. Lebron is in the arguement and he is like 24 or something. Wouldn't u be cocky? If MJ was say 29 in the league right now and you did a pole who was the best it would be a 3 way split. Of course he is cocky. I get cocky when a girl hits on me.
The league is thinking about changing the traveling rule just for him.
The guy has the ability to lead the league in scoring rebounding assists steals and now even maybe blocks. Who do you not get cocky?
nonplayerzealot
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by nonplayerzealot » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:09 pm

freakazoid wrote:Does it really matter?

Stern wants a Kobe/LBJ matchup in the finals.

Watch it happen. Kobe gets his ring, just like Shaq got his against a FAR superior Dallas team.

You guys don't even need to be concerned with whether or not you're the best team. D-bag Stern has already had the Trophy engraved with the initials KB.

Congratulations on your championship.

Dude is crooked as AIG.

Lol. You should thank Stern. He's the one who wouldn't let Battistone move the Jazz to Vegas. He's evidently got at least SOME misguided love for the Jazz fans.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#23 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:19 pm

fareweatherfan wrote:I'm not sure 2) is accurate. I didn't see the whole interview (or the game for that matter), I distinctly remember him saying, "then I'm great" or some variation thereof. I understand what you're saying about the context of his comment, but a truely great player and a humble one would simply say something to the effect of "its an honor to be talked of that way," etc.

You're acting like Kobe, LeBron and Wade don't realize they're the best in the world.

They all come off as "cocky" if you take out various things from their interviews.
Kobe is always talking about how he can score whenever he wants but he tries to get teammates involved.

It's not cocky to act like your a great basketball player if you are a great basketball player. Denying that fact would be foolish. These guys are expected to lead their teams to titles. This isn't the YMCA kids league.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#24 » by The Laker Kid » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:21 pm

funny, you guys put LeBron James under a microscope and over-analyze his every word? lol He has EVERY right to be cocky for what he's accomplished (in my opinion). People who over analyze his every move are jealous, just like how people are jealous of Kobe.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#25 » by Kilroy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:29 pm

I've been fortunate as a Basketball fan to have seen many games played by some of the best ever...

MJ, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, Bird, Etc... I started being a rabid NBA fan in '79... And have seen a lot...

IMO, based on all that, LeBron is still pretty over-rated... He's got everything it takes to be one of the greatest... And he's up there with Kobe... But I think that has to do more with Kobe slowing down a bit rather than LBJ stepping up...

LBJ will be one of the greatest ever... But that's probably 2 years away... Right now, he's a close second to Kobe... But neither of them are playing like the best of the best right now...

Frankly the player I'm starting to lose respect for is Wade... D-Wade clearly isn't in the same league as Kobe... and probably isn't in the same league as LBJ right now... But he's sure talking a good game.
And the bandaid thing is just rediculous... He's the Kanye West of the NBA right now... Good, but not as good as his own hype....
That used to be Arenas...
fareweatherfan
Senior
And1: 1

Post#26 » by fareweatherfan » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:17 pm

I just want to make clear that I'm not losing respect for Lebron as a player. To the contrary, I respect him as a player more now than I ever have. I think he has the ABILITY to go down as the GOAT, even better than MJ.

My loss of respect is for him as a person on and off the court. I realize its hard not to be cocky when you are as great as these guys. Fine, I get that. Just be respectful enough not to talk about it on camera. Thats why the older guys (see e.g. Barkley) take exception to certain comments by a guy who hasn't won a title and is still a kid.

I guess I'm just old-school when it comes to this stuff. I'm of the mind that you have to make these guys earn it, not hand it to them. Clearly the NBA is a business so they'll just hand it to them if it means they can market it and make money (see e.g. the Witness and King James commercials).
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,974

Post#27 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:26 pm

Kilroy wrote:I've been fortunate as a Basketball fan to have seen many games played by some of the best ever...

MJ, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, Bird, Etc... I started being a rabid NBA fan in '79... And have seen a lot...

IMO, based on all that, LeBron is still pretty over-rated... He's got everything it takes to be one of the greatest... And he's up there with Kobe... But I think that has to do more with Kobe slowing down a bit rather than LBJ stepping up...

LBJ will be one of the greatest ever... But that's probably 2 years away... Right now, he's a close second to Kobe... But neither of them are playing like the best of the best right now...

Frankly the player I'm starting to lose respect for is Wade... D-Wade clearly isn't in the same league as Kobe... and probably isn't in the same league as LBJ right now... But he's sure talking a good game.
And the bandaid thing is just rediculous... He's the Kanye West of the NBA right now... Good, but not as good as his own hype....

???

Dude's averaging 29 points, 8.5 rebounds and 8.5 assists this month with four triple doubles in his last eight games.

As for Wade, all he's doing is averaging 35 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds in the same span and is on pace to win his first scoring title.

Both are having historically good seasons, and they're getting better as they go.
magic1fan
Starter

Post#28 » by magic1fan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:24 am

Kilroy wrote:I've been fortunate as a Basketball fan to have seen many games played by some of the best ever...

right now wade is balling. he is probably playing the best ball as of right now...lebron is a little overrated,only because some people say he is on his way to being the greatest ever. being the greatest ever imo means winning,not just great fantasy stats! he still has time,but winning in the nba is not guaranteed.
Only on realgm is 27,000 points, 5 rings, 1 rs mvp and 2 finals mvp considered overrated!
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#29 » by hermes » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:04 pm

Benedict_Boozer wrote:
The pregame stuff and all that, you gotta remember he is still VERY YOUNG. Just turned 24, he has been in the league awhile but he is barely older than alot of rookies. He's not gonna be mature like an MJ in his prime. Also based on the team chemistry on the Cavs this year, if his teammates like it who cares what he does in pregrame?

Just my 2 cents.

being young would be justifiable but i don't see any other young players doing it, kevin durant is lighting the place up every night and he isn't posing for fake photo shoots before the game

and even if others did, i would imagine it wouldn't be so well received
lakb8
Ballboy

Post#30 » by lakb8 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:15 am

he's genetically good.
magic1fan
Starter

Post#31 » by magic1fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:54 am

hermes wrote:
Benedict_Boozer wrote:
The pregame stuff and all that, you gotta remember he is still VERY YOUNG. Just turned 24, he has been in the league awhile but he is barely older than alot of rookies. He's not gonna be mature like an MJ in his prime. Also based on the team chemistry on the Cavs this year, if his teammates like it who cares what he does in pregrame?

Just my 2 cents.

being young would be justifiable but i don't see any other young players doing it, kevin durant is lighting the place up every night and he isn't posing for fake photo shoots before the game

and even if others did, i would imagine it wouldn't be so well received

great points hermes...let's face it lebrn i the poster child for the league.
Only on realgm is 27,000 points, 5 rings, 1 rs mvp and 2 finals mvp considered overrated!
kevin_405
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by kevin_405 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:55 am

If u watch Cavs u will see what this guy does to the team.. He is a monster on the court..
At 24 he is this good .. cant imagine what he will be like once he gets more mature on the court..

His antics are all marketing and showmanship there is nothing wrong with it as long as u can deliver on the court..

If u are losing respect u are blind because u have not seen this guy play.. he is the reincarnation of Magic..

fareweatherfan wrote:Disclaimer - this has nothing to do with his basketball abilities. He is absolutely amazing!

But lately he is coming off so damn cocky I find myself disliking him. Until recent months, I always loved the guy for his apparent humility, both on and off the court. Things have changed.

In recent interviews he has made some of the most cocky statements. I'm sure there were more, but the ones that come to mind are: after Phoenix game he described his play to block JRich on the dunk attempt as a great effort on his part to cover the whole floor and said he got all ball (get the F out, he didn't even touch the ball), and last night he basically called himself "great" during his post game interview.

I don't mind all the staged "photo-ops" the Cavs do before the game, its all fun and entertainment. But this guy is getting way too full of himself. Kobe may be one of the cockiest players on the court (even before he earned it), but he never made these types of comments about himself. Its just bad taste. Act like you've been there LBJ! As Mark Jax would say, "you're better than that."

Is it just me?
hermes
RealGM

Post#33 » by hermes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:17 pm

like i said before all of this is ok now, because he's a great player and can walk the walk

but when is it going to be too much? what if he starts pulling a NASCAR and wearing patches of his sponsors on his jersey? if he's still amazing at basketball but well it still be ok then?
fareweatherfan
Senior

Post#34 » by fareweatherfan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:25 pm

kevin_405 wrote:If u watch Cavs u will see what this guy does to the team.. He is a monster on the court..
At 24 he is this good .. cant imagine what he will be like once he gets more mature on the court..

His antics are all marketing and showmanship there is nothing wrong with it as long as u can deliver on the court..

If u are losing respect u are blind because u have not seen this guy play.. he is the reincarnation of Magic..

fareweatherfan wrote:Disclaimer - this has nothing to do with his basketball abilities. He is absolutely amazing!

But lately he is coming off so damn cocky I find myself disliking him. Until recent months, I always loved the guy for his apparent humility, both on and off the court. Things have changed.

In recent interviews he has made some of the most cocky statements. I'm sure there were more, but the ones that come to mind are: after Phoenix game he described his play to block JRich on the dunk attempt as a great effort on his part to cover the whole floor and said he got all ball (get the F out, he didn't even touch the ball), and last night he basically called himself "great" during his post game interview.

I don't mind all the staged "photo-ops" the Cavs do before the game, its all fun and entertainment. But this guy is getting way too full of himself. Kobe may be one of the cockiest players on the court (even before he earned it), but he never made these types of comments about himself. Its just bad taste. Act like you've been there LBJ! As Mark Jax would say, "you're better than that."

Is it just me?

Funny, you quoted me but must not have read the very first line of my post.

And don't compare Lebron to Magic unless you mean basketball-wise, only. Magic's humility put him in another class of Superstar then and now. Lebron (and every other "superstar" of this generation) can't touch Magic.
kevin_405
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by kevin_405 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:43 pm

I actually enjoy watching the Lebron theatrics..

It is like Shaq doing break dance or Rap.. u got to enjoy and appreciate the off court talent in the guy..

Magic's squeaky clean image is a facade as shown by his contracting hiv.. So that actually makes Lebron better than Magic.. Considering his father was a con man , raised by a welfare supported single mom.. This guys is blessed thats for sure
As i said if u are judging him for his off the field behaviour u are measuring him by the wrong yardstick considering he is only 24.. Do u remember Kobe last year screaming to Trade Bynums ass..
Compared to Kobe at the same age Lebron seems modest..

fareweatherfan wrote:
kevin_405 wrote:If u watch Cavs u will see what this guy does to the team.. He is a monster on the court..

Is it just me?

Funny, you quoted me but must not have read the very first line of my post.

And don't compare Lebron to Magic unless you mean basketball-wise, only. Magic's humility put him in another class of Superstar then and now. Lebron (and every other "superstar" of this generation) can't touch Magic.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#36 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Yeah, I find it kind of amusing that we as Lakers fans are knocking LeBron James for being cocky -- which he is, no question -- when our recent success has been driving by Shaq O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson, none of whom are paragons of humility.
magic1fan
Starter

Post#37 » by magic1fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Yeah, I find it kind of amusing that we as Lakers fans are knocking LeBron James for being cocky -- which he is, no question -- when our recent success has been driving by Shaq O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson, none of whom are paragons of humility.

in defense of kobe and phil,i have never heard neither of them talk about themselves in the third person.
hermes
RealGM

Post#38 » by hermes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 pm

kevin_405 wrote:I actually enjoy watching the Lebron theatrics..

It is like Shaq doing break dance or Rap.. u got to enjoy and appreciate the off court talent in the guy..

Magic's squeaky clean image is a facade as shown by his contracting hiv..
So that actually makes Lebron better than Magic.. Considering his father was a con man , raised by a welfare supported single mom.. This guys is blessed thats for sure
As i said if u are judging him for his off the field behaviour u are measuring him by the wrong yardstick considering he is only 24.. Do u remember Kobe last year screaming to Trade Bynums ass..

are you saying that Magic isn't a good person because he got hiv?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#39 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:15 pm

magic1fan wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Yeah, I find it kind of amusing that we as Lakers fans are knocking LeBron James for being cocky -- which he is, no question -- when our recent success has been driving by Shaq O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson, none of whom are paragons of humility.

in defense of kobe and phil,i have never heard neither of them talk about themselves in the third person.

This is true, but it can't be denied that both are blessed with very healthy egos.
magic1fan
Starter

Post#40 » by magic1fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:12 pm

hermes wrote:
kevin_405 wrote:I actually enjoy watching the Lebron theatrics..

Magic's squeaky clean image is a facade as shown by his contracting hiv..
So that actually makes Lebron better than Magic.. Considering his father was a con man , raised by a welfare supported single mom.. This guys is blessed thats for sure

are you saying that Magic isn't a good person because he got hiv?

if he is saying that then he has just won the award for the dumbest thing posted on a message board. what happened to magic could have happened to anyone who was young and kind of careless.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers