ImageImageImageImageImage

Fisher's Alpha Dog Statement Play

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Fisher's Alpha Dog Statement Play 

Post#1 » by Erik Eleven » Thu May 7, 2009 10:56 pm

He was going to let the world know that the Lakers will not be bullied around by anybody this year. The other way around — he let it be known that we will not go down without a fearsome fight. From that point on, there will be no question about who the aggressor is, in this series. Before that point, it was reversed roles. This is exactly the spark this gang needed. Some controversy and riled up emotions. I've been waiting for something like this to get the bench guys fired up, willing to go to war and lay it all on the line for the greater cause that is the team.

I think Fisher's takedown of Scola will prove to be a pivotal play. Not only did it send a message to the opponent, but even more so to the Lakers youngs. Fisher is a class act, young players follow his example. How can they not want to give it all on the frontline after that? He showed them what type of mindset it will take. There's too much at stake now, and Fisher's statement play made that very clear to all the young Lakers, and some "old" ones.

Additionally, his suspension serves as a terrific opportunity for Farmar to step up and become an unexpected underdog hero. He will thrive. It also gives Shannon Brown more minutes and he's hungry for more PT, so you know that he will give his all.

All in all, I don't like excessive rough-housing but in this case I support it. Because it was Fisher, and because it's now become about survival. I wouldn't be shocked if we take it in 5.

Thoughts?
biggamejames2
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Fisher's Alpha Dog Statement Play 

Post#2 » by biggamejames2 » Thu May 7, 2009 11:03 pm

agreed
Kirk Moon
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Kirk Moon » Thu May 7, 2009 11:06 pm

I wont be surprised if it was a part of a game plan.
All that was needed is one defying move, preferably by one of the veterans, and since Kobe, or Lamar are too valuable, and Luke is too fragile, Fish was the perfect candidate.

Hopefully, our younger guys will grow a pair watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CENZNnn0G1A

I say, let the graphix wizards on this board do their thing :-)
is Trixx still around?

go Lakers! go Swedish meatballs!
fareweatherfan
Senior
And1: 1

Post#4 » by fareweatherfan » Thu May 7, 2009 11:12 pm

Agreed, I made similar points on the other thread about this.
BigAaron909
Freshman

Post#5 » by BigAaron909 » Thu May 7, 2009 11:54 pm

Agree with op, I especially like how Fish was sorta waiting for the team after the game to congratulate them.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#6 » by TylersLakers » Fri May 8, 2009 12:10 am

When I first saw it happen, I thought that it was a stupid play - a chance for Houston to cut our lead to single digits and give Houston a comfort zone only down seven or eight. However, seeing the way our guys responded to it was really good. Immediately the game became more physical and you saw that not only with the Bryant and Artest situation, but also Bynum setting a hard screen to free up Vujacic for a shot. Also, the defense swarmed the paint and dived on the floor for loose balls.

At first glance, I thought it was a stupid move. The reaction of the rest of the Lakers was going to be key and we reacted the right way. I think Phil said it well afterward, "he was setting the tone for how tonight would be and how the rest of the series would go."

So if you would have posted this with 15 seconds left in the third quarter EE, I would have had a different reaction. But following the game, it was definitely a message sending move by Fish and a positive lift for us.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#7 » by Kilroy » Fri May 8, 2009 1:21 am

I absolutely think it was the right thing to do at the time and Fish was the perfect player to do it...

However, it's still a stupid play untill the Lakers back it up.

If the Lakers go to Houston and man-handle the Rockets for the next 2 games, it was 'setting the tone' and a brilliant move...

If the Lakers get jobbed... It was a stupid move by a wannabe tough guy...

It's only a spark if our team gets it through their thick heads...

Gasol needs 4 blocks tomorrow... Ariza needs 4 steals... And Ron-Ron needs to be held to single digits...

First our team needs to get the message, then we can worry about the Rockets and the rest of the league.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,343

Post#8 » by Dr Aki » Fri May 8, 2009 1:24 am

fish just made a statement

if you think the lakers are soft and can be pushed around?

think again.

you push us, we're gonna push back.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#9 » by Erik Eleven » Fri May 8, 2009 3:23 am

Plus, I love the fact that Scola flopped a bit. It only made Fisher's tackle so much more impressive looking and is going to bite Scola and the Rockets in the arse. I love it.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,455

Post#10 » by Slava » Fri May 8, 2009 3:25 am

I liked Kwame standing over Diaw more but this is going to be a more important play in the context of a playoff series.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,683

Post#11 » by dockingsched » Fri May 8, 2009 3:27 am

i think you're spot on with your comment about farmar stepping up. he came in and started fighting through screens and throwing himself on the floor. i think he's going seize the opportunity.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
aussie_laker
Sophomore

Post#12 » by aussie_laker » Fri May 8, 2009 3:58 am

he drew a line in the sand, and made a statement - he sacrificed himself for the good of the team as well!
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#13 » by TylersLakers » Fri May 8, 2009 4:13 am

Kwame standing over Diaw made me the most hype for a Laker game, I think ever. I was going crazy when that happened.
KObe Bryant
Analyst

Post#14 » by KObe Bryant » Fri May 8, 2009 4:49 am

Next time should be Mbenga giving a hard chop to Artest while taking off in the air.
aussie_laker
Sophomore

Post#15 » by aussie_laker » Fri May 8, 2009 4:53 am

TylersLakers wrote:Kwame standing over Diaw made me the most hype for a Laker game, I think ever. I was going crazy when that happened.

that was the best thing Kwame ever did in purple and gold. They were great times - even though we were junk
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#16 » by supaflash » Fri May 8, 2009 5:10 am

I dunno, I still don't think that play belongs. We are the better team we shouldn't HAVE to make a statement. We were already making a statment but blowing the game out at that point and out rebounding them. There are better ways imo. I understand it, I just don't like it.

If the team needed that after what happened in Boston last year its a little sad to be honest.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#17 » by DEEP3CL » Fri May 8, 2009 5:54 am

Great post Double E, simply put that was a play that had to be made. It was totally amazing how guys here reacted to the play...........in total fear that it might cost us the game which couldn't have been further from the truth. Artest and Scola were the only Rockets having a nice game at that point, from the time Scola started his garbage to Artest's melt down to Von's mental implosion the Rockets got completely out of rhythm. Here's what I said at the time.

That whole sequence flew over everybody's head, Scola started all that BS and broke the Rockets momentum. People question the Lakers toughness well that just prove the Lakers ain't backing down. Houston's bully tactic FAILED.
When I came to the board and saw the board basically split on how Fish's actions were questioned I laughed.

There are three elements to basketball that you can't jerk with

Tempo
Momentum
Mental awareness

Houston broke every one of these basketball commandments over a course of about 6 minutes and change. They were never the same again, and it's the very reason they won't win this series.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#18 » by milesfides » Fri May 8, 2009 10:23 am

Great post, EE.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
b shaw20
Bench Warmer
And1: 60

Post#19 » by b shaw20 » Fri May 8, 2009 10:44 am

supaflash wrote:I dunno, I still don't think that play belongs. We are the better team we shouldn't HAVE to make a statement. We were already making a statment but blowing the game out at that point and out rebounding them. There are better ways imo. I understand it, I just don't like it.

If the team needed that after what happened in Boston last year its a little sad to be honest.

+1...

It's only because we won that everyone likes the play. In a gm we had to win and considering we had a double digit lead, it was a dumb play that could have easily backfired. The momentum could have easily swung the other way and I think it was dumb risk at that time.

Why didn't Fish try that crap vs C's in gm 6 last year on Perk or KG when we were down 20? Don't pretend you are a tough guy when you aren't.

But at least I won't see fish bulldozing to the basket only to miss a layup or clanking for another 48 min.

And as mentioned, if we have to depend on a play like this to raise our intensity, ... Sad indeed. Might as well send in Mbenga and have him decapitate someone. We could very well reclaim homecourt.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,766

Post#20 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri May 8, 2009 12:34 pm

Artest said the Lakers want to prove they can handle physical play after losing to Boston in last year’s finals.

“They don’t want that to happen again,” Artest said. “Last year, that was the word on the street, that they got punked by the Celtics. This year, they came out tough, so I kind of respect them.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-rockets&prov=ap&type=lgns
Forum permissions