ImageImageImageImageImage

What's everyone thoughts on Kobe's leadership?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

magic1fan
Starter
And1: 0

Re: What's everyone thoughts on Kobe's leadership? 

Post#41 » by magic1fan » Sun May 17, 2009 4:22 am

semi-sentient wrote:
LL Cool Scott wrote:A leader (basketball-wise) is someone who makes the players around him better. Magic, Bird, Isiah, Duncan, Shaq, Jordan, Kidd, Nash, Lebron, etc.

Has Kobe ever made the players around him better? Food for thought...

Food for thought? For who? (Please Use More Appropriate Word) people?

Anyone with half a brain that has followed this team since Shaq left knows that almost every player has seen improvement playing next to Kobe.

That, and he can not do it alone. The true leader of this team should be Phil Jackson, yet he's apparently already planning his retirement. Kobe has done his job satisfactorily. No one else has. I'm not going to sit here and say that he's a great leader, but he's been pretty good considering the youth of this team. Guys like Pau shouldn't need to be potty trained at this stage of their careers. Same goes for Odom.

And what the hell is up with Pau sitting on the bench looking all depressed? Toughen up, moron.

Man we have some serious mental midgets on this squad. Great talent, but seriously lacking that winning attitude. Sedale is right -- only Kobe and Fisher have the right mentality. Everyone else needs to be coddled like little babies.

couldn't have said it better myself.....
Only on realgm is 27,000 points, 5 rings, 1 rs mvp and 2 finals mvp considered overrated!
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#42 » by Erik Eleven » Sun May 17, 2009 5:34 am

Two-edged sword. In a way, he's the best leader in the world because he's the hardest working and the most deadly basketball player in the world — both mentally and athletically.

On the other end, his ability to see and supply his team mates with what psychological push they need most is not his strongest suit, in my opinion. In the locker room, he should be taking on the role of one of the veteran guys, not that of the sole, self-proclaimed superstar prophet. I'm guessing, but I don't see great chemistry between Kobe and Pau, Kobe and Sasha, Kobe and Odom, Kobe and Bynum, Kobe and Powell. I don't see them playing for him, I see them playing in competition with him. I don't see him having the pulse on this team. This is where LBJ has a distinct advantage on Kobe — his likable personality and the natural loyalty it creates within his team.

But then again, if I had to put my money on one of their teams, going head to head in the finals, I'd put it on Kobe's team. Maybe we'll see for ourselves for a fact this year who's the best leader. If the Lakers win it all, there should be no doubt about who makes his team mates better. Since LBJ's individual numbers are greater than Kobe's, more is required of Kobe's team mates to compensate for the superstar deficit. If Kobe's team wins, Kobe will thus have proven that he is better than LBJ — specifically at making his team mates better. Right? I'm rambling...
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#43 » by LL Cool Scott » Sun May 17, 2009 3:00 pm

^ I'd take it a step further and say that most of his teammates secretly dislike him. The chemistry on the team seems so forced, so fake when compared to the Cavs (or the Nuggets, or the Rockets, or the Celtics, or....). I think Kobe's inability to relate to his teammates and get them to play hard is his only real weakness as a basketball player.
magic1fan
Starter

Post#44 » by magic1fan » Sun May 17, 2009 4:59 pm

LL Cool Scott wrote:^ I'd take it a step further and say that most of his teammates secretly dislike him. The chemistry on the team seems so forced, so fake when compared to the Cavs (or the Nuggets, or the Rockets, or the Celtics, or....). I think Kobe's inability to relate to his teammates and get them to play hard is his only real weakness as a basketball player.

lmao...talk about reaching... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only on realgm is 27,000 points, 5 rings, 1 rs mvp and 2 finals mvp considered overrated!
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#45 » by Sofa King » Sun May 17, 2009 5:39 pm

milesfides wrote:Kobe not a leader?

Anybody watch the Olympics?

You don't have to be a loud, rah-rah guy (Lebron) to be a self-proclaimed leader.

You can show leadership by letting your play/actions/demeanor speak for themselves, like Kobe and Wade and Kidd.

Kobe was always a player who led more by example.

He's not just a leader. HE'S THE KING!

Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#46 » by Gerald3Wallace » Sun May 17, 2009 6:29 pm

kobe Is a leader lol..

but from that gif, and the look/reaction of his teammates..doesnt look like that was a happy encouragement
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#47 » by Dexmor » Sun May 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Kobe is a great leader. Just watch doing work by Spike Lee.
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#48 » by LL Cool Scott » Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Dexmor wrote:Kobe is a great leader. Just watch doing work by Spike Lee.

You mean the "documentary" that Kobe demanded creative control over and narrated himself. LOL!!!
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Post#49 » by AmusingFiddle » Tue May 19, 2009 7:23 pm

His Leadership skills shouldn't be questioned. Look at his entire basketball career. If you can't be motivated by his toughness, his effort and his presence you are a knucklehead. He first and foremost leads by example. Shaq was the vocal leader (never put forth the effort) and Kobe was the quiet one. Since Shaq has left Kobe's been a Vocal leader.
AceFresh
Senior
And1: 3

Post#50 » by AceFresh » Wed May 20, 2009 4:38 am

Talk about leadership tonight,
not only did he set the tone offensively and made smart plays down the stretch..

but he also contained an over-sized Melo and nullified Billups tonight as well.

BEAUTIFUL play by the Kobester tonight
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#51 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 20, 2009 2:15 pm

contained melo? yikes. leadership yes. but melo is inches taller and pounds heavier. its a bad matchup. however, kobe is ballin hard down under. and we have another key matchup, a lengthy ariza on billups. we need to get him under wraps. hes their #2 man, and i thought we did good enough on him. but melo? dude was havin his way last nite.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#52 » by milesfides » Wed May 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Melo was actually having his way killing Ariza in the first quarter.

He didn't do close to as well against Kobe (even shooting an airball against him).

Also, against Kobe in the fourth, Melo didn't score in the last 3 minutes of the game.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#53 » by milesfides » Wed May 20, 2009 4:36 pm

When your leader is willing to sacrifice and guard the opponent's best player, or players, as Kobe did against Billups and Melo, while putting his team on his back offensively and scoring 18 in the fourth, that's pretty damn good leadership.

When your team is playing like a bunch of underachieving sissies, and your leader is playing like his life is on the line, that's pretty damn good leadership.

When your leader refuses to lose, WE ARE NOT GOING TO LOSE TONIGHT

that's a leader out there.

I just wish we had more followers.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
AceFresh
Senior
And1: 3

Post#54 » by AceFresh » Wed May 20, 2009 10:25 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:contained melo? yikes. leadership yes. but melo is inches taller and pounds heavier. its a bad matchup. however, kobe is ballin hard down under. and we have another key matchup, a lengthy ariza on billups. we need to get him under wraps. hes their #2 man, and i thought we did good enough on him. but melo? dude was havin his way last nite.

I guess contained was misinterpreted.
lol

He negated Melo to an extent (denying ball in certain situations)
esp. that Ariza steal play because "pundits, & others" say play was made for Melo
but was denied the ball.

If Kobe can do this consistently and we get help from Pau-Bynum-Odom trio.
We're very very difficult to beat

Return to Los Angeles Lakers