ImageImageImageImageImage

Breaking Down The WCF: Los Angeles Lakers vs Denver Nuggets

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Re: Breaking Down The WCF: Los Angeles Lakers vs Denver Nuggets 

Post#21 » by TylersLakers » Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 pm

geevesjr wrote:Yo Tyler, I think ESPN is trying to hire some NBA analysts - maybe you should give 'em a call.

Even though you're a Lakers fan, I think you gave a very accurate, non-biased interpretation of the WCF match up. Kobe is a Nugget killer...he loves to shush up all his haters (and he has a lot of them) when he comes to the Mile High City. We could throw Dahntay Jones and a whole block full of Ruben Pattersons (lol) at the Mamba, and he's still going to strike with lethal potency. Everyone knows that he's gonna get his.

What scares me more than anything, as a Nuggets fan, is whether or not we'll be able to contain Gasol and Bynum in the paint. If our BIGS don't play their A+ game, the Lakers will have second chance opportunities ALL DAY! Seriously, Nene's inconsistency on the road frightens me - Andrew Bynum is a million times better than Erick Dampier. And although the BirdMan is our energy catalyst, he's so anxious to stuff everyone's shot - this leads to him fouling out in the snap of a finger, and we just cannot afford this.

This series will be a blast. Let's just hope the refs don't get whistle-happy...

Thanks a lot man, I was hoping Nuggets fans would come on and read this. My brother is a huge Nuggets fans (we've been ribbing each other ever since Game 7 ended) and I've seen a lot of this team. It's not going to be easy, whoever wins. :rofl: I wish I could apply to ESPN. I just love basketball, and I follow teams more closely than the highlights.

Thanks guys for the comments. :D
CX44
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#22 » by CX44 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Maybe I'm an overzealous Lakers fan but I don't believe this series will be that tough and no disrespect to Denver but I think the Lakers win in 5. Denver is not physcial (outside of Martin and Nene) like Utah and Houston. They also don't play team D like either of those teams. Besides that they don't have one shut down player they can put on Kobe. Utah had AK and Hou had SB and RA. Without someone to stop Kobe from getting to the rim and a lack of overall team D by Den they are going to have a lot of problems stopping the Lakers O.
garcia3
Starter
And1: 9

Post#23 » by garcia3 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:30 pm

CX44 wrote:Maybe I'm an overzealous Lakers fan but I don't believe this series will be that tough and no disrespect to Denver but I think the Lakers win in 5. Denver is not physcial (outside of Martin and Nene) like Utah and Houston. They also don't play team D like either of those teams. Besides that they don't have one shut down player they can put on Kobe. Utah had AK and Hou had SB and RA. Without someone to stop Kobe from getting to the rim and a lack of overall team D by Den they are going to have a lot of problems stopping the Lakers O.

+1
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#24 » by The Rebel » Mon May 18, 2009 8:49 pm

CX44 wrote:Maybe I'm an overzealous Lakers fan but I don't believe this series will be that tough and no disrespect to Denver but I think the Lakers win in 5. Denver is not physcial (outside of Martin and Nene) like Utah and Houston. They also don't play team D like either of those teams. Besides that they don't have one shut down player they can put on Kobe. Utah had AK and Hou had SB and RA. Without someone to stop Kobe from getting to the rim and a lack of overall team D by Den they are going to have a lot of problems stopping the Lakers O.

You do realize that the Nuggets were rated higher then the Jazz in every single defensive category throughout the regular and post season. In fact they are rated 2nd in the west during the regular season, and also 2nd only to the Cavs for the post season. If anything the Nuggets defense is the actual reason that so many analysts are raving about them.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#25 » by DEEP3CL » Mon May 18, 2009 9:02 pm

TL does it again, nice post.....every breakdown was on point.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
basketballdario
Junior
And1: 26

Post#26 » by basketballdario » Mon May 18, 2009 9:35 pm

CX44 wrote: They also don't play team D like either of those teams.

Yeah they play much better D than Utah. Utah packs the lanes and lets teams kill them all day from the outside. Denver does not always put in the effort (which is where they are weaker than the Rockets), but they have size and they are much better at D than Utah
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#27 » by Erik Eleven » Mon May 18, 2009 10:12 pm

garcia3 wrote:
Erik Eleven wrote:Nice post, tyler.

I think this is going to be a great series to watch.

Our biggest disadvantage against Denver is gone with Ariza as a starter, in my opinion. Melo used to punk Odom in every game against them before. Won't happen with Ariza. I think this series will finally place Ariza in the top echelon of the best individual defenders in the NBA.

this is a joke right??

No. Trevor is extremely good at denying his man the ball, and he's a pest once you get the ball — quick, long, athletic, reads opponents' eyes/intentions very well, anticipates the game well overall. Ariza reading passing lanes well off his man and stealing balls, shouldn't negate the job he does preventing his man from getting the ball in the first place. I'd say he's an under rated man defender. We'll see, but I think Melo will have his hands full, facing Ariza.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#28 » by Erik Eleven » Mon May 18, 2009 10:17 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Erik Eleven wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Good job Ty. I think Billups is going to hurt us more than people expect, but otherwise I agree with just about everything else.

Yeah. Billups is a total alpha stud, Fisher is a good role player. Chauncey will have his way, draw fouls on Fish etc. Shannon Brown will have to do his share.

It's like nobody remembers the 04 Finals.

Exactly. Finals MVP on a team with Sheed, Rip, Prince and Ben Wallace in his prime easily trumps Fisher's middle-of-the-road role playing. I've harped about wanting him on the Lakers since I joined RGM.

Unless Fisher plays out of his mind, I think we'll need Brown to step it up a whole lot in this series. That's why I think it'll be a long series, our young players (Ariza included) don't play well enough on the road yet to win it all. I'd like to see that change once this series is started.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#29 » by TonyMontana » Mon May 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Ty good job mang and a good read.
CX44
Analyst

Post#30 » by CX44 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:16 pm

The Rebel wrote:

You do realize that the Nuggets were rated higher then the Jazz in every single defensive category throughout the regular and post season. In fact they are rated 2nd in the west during the regular season, and also 2nd only to the Cavs for the post season. If anything the Nuggets defense is the actual reason that so many analysts are raving about them.

Utah avg more steals and Off rebounds so it was not EVERY category as you put it.
CX44
Analyst

Post#31 » by CX44 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:18 pm

If Billlups starts eating up Fisher then Phil will find a way to slide Kobe or Ariza over on him maybe putting Fisher on D. Jones.
baller-brawler
Ballboy

Article "Key Match Ups Lakers vs Nuggets in the WCF" 

Post#32 » by baller-brawler » Tue May 19, 2009 3:47 am

I like the way this author thinks, on paper the two teams are a pretty good match up with each other, but the Lakers are mentally tougher having been through the last series with Houston.

Brian Bills 2009
http://mj12net.org/index.php/key-match-ups-lakers-vs-nuggets-in-the-wcf.html
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#33 » by realfung » Tue May 19, 2009 4:33 am

Nice article and everything sounds pretty logical.

I believe Lakers will win series in 4-2.

You are right about Denver blow teams away with their sudden attack.

But I think the Lakers are too strong/long for Nuggs to make inside presence.
Game 2 is the most important game.
Who wins game 2 win the series.
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#34 » by joe.linnen » Tue May 19, 2009 5:56 am

I'm going with the Lakers in 5

Defencive matchups

Kobe Vs. Billups
Fisher Vs. Jones
Ariza Vs. Anthony
Gasol Vs. Martin
Bynum Vs. Nene
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#35 » by Tommy Trojan » Tue May 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Our bigs are going to get raped by Martin and Nene. Billups will abuse Fisher all day long. Denever should get much more credit then what people are giving them.

Mark my words
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#36 » by DubaLakers » Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 am

Not much to breakdown here. LAL will win in 5 IMO, they have no answer for our bigs, there D can't all the sudden be good with a few bandaids. Kobe's going to be getting w/e the hell he damn' wants with no more 'Test & Battier to worry about. This series is a near waste of time, it feels like it should be time for the Finals instead of the WCF. Go Lakers!
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#37 » by DubaLakers » Wed May 20, 2009 2:31 am

Tommy Trojan wrote:Our bigs are going to get raped by Martin and Nene. Billups will abuse Fisher all day long. Denever should get much more credit then what people are giving them.

Mark my words

Words marked Tommy, I don't agree. Sure Billips will get his way, but stick with everyone else and don't help and they can't beat the LAL. They need their threes to beat the LAL. I say let Billips torch our PG's best he can, don't help off their man, and they have no answer.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers