Crosby signs extension with the Pens

The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Crosby signs extension with the Pens 

Post#1 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:55 pm

Well Crosby has re-upped with the Pens for a steep price, but worth it.

Crosby re-ups with Pens
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#2 » by Snayr » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:59 pm

Haha I just posted this in the recent signings thread too :) Definitely excellent for the Pens. He's making a heck of a pay increase.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:28 pm

For how good he is this is a fine deal
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#4 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:47 pm

This is a great deal for the Pens. They keep the most complete player in the NHL and a player who will save their franchise in town till 2012-2013.

It's alot of money but he is worth that in this new NHL. Waiting on how much Ovechkin gets.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by timd1218 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:26 pm

xbl_sucks wrote:This is a great deal for the Pens. They keep the most complete player in the NHL and a player who will save their franchise in town till 2012-2013.

It's alot of money but he is worth that in this new NHL. Waiting on how much Ovechkin gets.

He's already done that. Kept the team in Pittsburgh and got Mario and Burkle a nice new arena in 09-10.

Great signing for the Pens and Sid. I love how the cap hit is 8.7 million. And in 5 years, I hope him and Shero are discussing another contract extension. Next up, get Fleury signed.

Also, something else that is funny. I was on hockeybuzz looking at what everyone was saying about this and geez, some people will do anything to bring this kid down. Just pure jealousy. Someone actually compared his salary to Lebron, Manning, A-Rod and a few others. What a joke.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#6 » by UTMCretin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:52 pm

timd1218 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Also, something else that is funny. I was on hockeybuzz looking at what everyone was saying about this and geez, some people will do anything to bring this kid down. Just pure jealousy. Someone actually compared his salary to Lebron, Manning, A-Rod and a few others. What a joke.

Those comparisons are meant to bring him down?
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by timd1218 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:58 pm

UTMCretin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, because they were trying to say Crosby shouldn't be making 9 million a season because those players weren't making 9 million a year at his age, but they weren't even using the right facts.

Here it is:

Comparison of Crosby to how other top athletes are doing/were doing at a similar age:

LeBron James - $ 4,018,920

Wayne Gretzky - Don't know the exact number but he was never the highest paid in the NHL during his stay in Edmonton (needless to say he wasn't making a ton in the WHA).

Mario Lemieux - Not worth mentioning. He was making just over 2 million when he was 24 and he wasn't even close to the top paid player in the NHL.

Kobe Bryant - Is in/entering his prime and is still not even close to the highest paid player in the NBA let alone when he was 20.

Peyton Manning - 10 million bucks this year. He had a big signing bonus a couple years ago but he wasn't 20 and when he was 20 he sure as hell wasn't making 9 million a season.

Jordan - Made peanuts (in comparison to Crosby) for a long time because of the NBA cap.

A-Rod - $442,333 (I hate A-Rod but what Bonds is doing now won't matter in ten years)

Amazing how Crosby is worth more than all of these guys were at the same age or in comparison to respective league salaries. He must be the best athlete ever. In the history of everything.

Sounds to me this person is trying to bring the kid down.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#8 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:59 pm

UTMCretin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No they are more meant to say he is overpayed. Arod gets 25 million a year which is pretty ridicoulous.

Lebron got the max and I am sure Peyton gets alot as well. They mean although he is arguablie the best he got overpayed.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by timd1218 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 pm

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No they are more meant to say he is overpayed. Arod gets 25 million a year which is pretty ridicoulous.

Lebron got the max and I am sure Peyton gets alot as well. They mean although he is arguablie the best he got overpayed.

I don't think Crosby is overpayed compared to what other players are paid.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#10 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:08 pm

At almost 9 million a year Crosby may just be the most underpaid player in the NHL. ;)
Go Raps!!
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#11 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:50 pm

I don't think Crosby is overpayed compared to what other players are paid.

well hockey is an extremly small markey compared to those other sports, so almost 9 million a year out of a 50 mil cap(i think thats what it is) is almost 1/5th the cap space. So I dont know what the basketball cap is at the top of my head but I am sure that player would take a majority of that cap space.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#12 » by Crowned » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:54 pm

I thought he was supposed to take a significant paycut?
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#13 » by UTMCretin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:21 pm

Sounds to me this person is trying to bring the kid down.

:lol: That's terrible. No mention or even recognition of how salaries have skyrocketed over the past few years, or the rookie scale on which Lebron was paid. It's like a war on context

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:No they are more meant to say he is overpayed. Arod gets 25 million a year which is pretty ridicoulous.

Except none of those guys were really overpaid in reference to their deal. Peyton deserves the most money in the NFL, Lebron deserves the max, and, although definitely arguable, A-Rod was never really overpaid on the scale of what baseball players generally make (especially for the Yankees, his current employer).
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#14 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:32 pm

I am not trying to knock Sid the Kid I was just making a refrence to other contacts: All the other contracts I spoke of were not surpisingly top 3 players of there sports. Crosby is in elite company.

I would give Crosby that money if I was a GM....
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by timd1218 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:14 am

Crowned wrote:I thought he was supposed to take a significant paycut?

He never said significant. He said he would take a paycut and he did. He is making 1.36 million less than the max. And as of right now, it looks as if the cap will go up within the next 6 years Sid is under contract, so if this happens, he took more of a paycut. Him and his agent easily could have waited until next season so a team could have offered him the max.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#16 » by Crowned » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:52 am

He never said significant. He said he would take a paycut and he did. He is making 1.36 million less than the max. And as of right now, it looks as if the cap will go up within the next 6 years Sid is under contract, so if this happens, he took more of a paycut. Him and his agent easily could have waited until next season so a team could have offered him the max.

1.36 mil per season? That's the paycut he 'announced' to everyone, and had everyone praising him for his generous personality. Give me a break, if he wanted a real contender in Pittsburgh, he would've taken 7-8 mil per season. Yeah, I know he didn't have to take any type of paycut, but when he publically states that he's willing to take a sign a smaller contract as long as Pittsburgh can keep their young core, you're expecting him to take a little less than he did.

Return to The General NHL Board