Around the NHL

Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Around the NHL 

Post#541 » by Crowned » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:50 am

If I'm the Oilers, I'm keeping the pick and drafting Yakupov. They could easily trade a guy like Paajarvi or Gagner for depth on defense. Having Yakupov, Eberle, RNH and Hall upfront is silly.
Desmond61
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#542 » by Desmond61 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:54 am

ImageThe season finally starts tomorrow after a long summer.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#543 » by OldNo7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06 am

Crowned wrote:If I'm the Oilers, I'm keeping the pick and drafting Yakupov. They could easily trade a guy like Paajarvi or Gagner for depth on defense. Having Yakupov, Eberle, RNH and Hall upfront is silly.

If they just needed depth on defense I would agree, but they need high end talent on defense.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#544 » by Crowned » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm

OldNo7 wrote:
Crowned wrote:If I'm the Oilers, I'm keeping the pick and drafting Yakupov. They could easily trade a guy like Paajarvi or Gagner for depth on defense. Having Yakupov, Eberle, RNH and Hall upfront is silly.

If they just needed depth on defense I would agree, but they need high end talent on defense.

They lack that one cornerstone defenseman, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think they can strengthen their blueline by dangling players like Gagner and Paajarvi.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#545 » by OldNo7 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Crowned wrote:
OldNo7 wrote:

They lack that one cornerstone defenseman, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think they can strengthen their blueline by dangling players like Gagner and Paajarvi.

I just dont believe that Gagner and Paajarvi hold that high of value around the league.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#546 » by Crowned » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:27 am

I disagree. Both could net NHL ready defenseman. Edmonton has a few assets they could flip for that particular area of need.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#547 » by OldNo7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Crowned wrote:I disagree. Both could net NHL ready defenseman. Edmonton has a few assets they could flip for that particular area of need.

There is a big difference between NHL ready and a #1 defenseman though, and my point here is that they need elite prospects on the back end. Edmonton needs extremely high ceiling defensemen, much like they have up front. There is no real point in trading Paajarvi/Gagner for a #3/4-ceiling defenseman,
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#548 » by Crowned » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:13 am

OldNo7 wrote:
Crowned wrote:I disagree. Both could net NHL ready defenseman. Edmonton has a few assets they could flip for that particular area of need.

There is a big difference between NHL ready and a #1 defenseman though, and my point here is that they need elite prospects on the back end. Edmonton needs extremely high ceiling defensemen, much like they have up front. There is no real point in trading Paajarvi/Gagner for a #3/4-ceiling defenseman,

That's assuming Ryan Murray will be available with the pick they acquire ( and assuming they're swapping the #1 pick with someone). Otherwise, it's not really worth trading for a pick to get someone like Dumba, unless you're getting a significant player in addition in that package. Yakupov is at the moment, significantly better, and significantly more valuable than defenseman like Trouba and Dumba.

Unless Montreal or Columbus wants to work on a package to swap picks, it wouldn't make sense. They have 2 very good defensive prospects in Klefbom and Marincin, but I agree, they lack that cornerstone defenseman. But again, unless they're getting Ryan Murray, they're better off taking Yakupov and trading Gagner or Paajarvi for depth on the blueline.

The Oilers are a few years away, there's no rush to find that cornerstone blueliner within the next few months, especially at the expense of Yakupov.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#549 » by Nolan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 am

OldNo7 wrote:

As far as i'm concerned Paajarvi/Gagner have to go regardless of what we do with the pick. Paajarvi's been a huge disapointment this year and Gagner's way to inconsistent. I doubt we get what we need for them but they need to go.

I'm all for trading down to 2 or 3 and targeting Murray. Yakupov is great and all but Murray is exactly what we need, an amazing defensive d-man who can move the puck and he's a great leader the kids 17 and the captain of a WHL team.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#550 » by Nolan » Fri May 18, 2012 11:07 pm

So the Oilers ditched Tom Renney the other day. Not really happy about it either, the guy did such a good job of bringing along the youngs but I feel like he got canned because of Horcoff and Hemsky. Kevin Lowe has serious love affair with those two and refuses to believe that they're hot garbage.

And word is Brent Sutter the guy that's going to replace Renney. He's had some sucess as an NHL and he's rather familiar with Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#551 » by OldNo7 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:07 am

I am not really high on Brent Sutter, and don't see how he is the kind of coach to take a team to the playoffs. As you indicated, there are some bad forwards on the team that will get ice time they dont deserve which will keep the team out of the playoffs again.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#552 » by Nolan » Sat May 19, 2012 1:57 am

OldNo7 wrote:I am not really high on Brent Sutter, and don't see how he is the kind of coach to take a team to the playoffs. As you indicated, there are some bad forwards on the team that will get ice time they dont deserve which will keep the team out of the playoffs again.

Yep and those players are going to be there as long as Kevin Lowe is, which scares me because they could create serious cap issues for us down the road.

As for Sutter he had some sucess with the Devils and he's highly regarded for working with young players. He could be alright but there was nothing wrong with the way Renney was running this team.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,509
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#553 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jun 7, 2012 4:10 am

OT: Vladimir Krutov is dead. One of the greats. KLM is down to LM.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/ ... ead-at-52/

(played a season with the Canucks)
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#554 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 pm

https://twitter.com/DennisTFP/statuses/ ... tweetembed

Dunno who this guy is, but he says Nashville is expected to deal Suter's rights. Hopefully to Detroit!
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,426

Post#555 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm

TFP is basically a magazine version of Eklund.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#556 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 pm

trwi7 wrote:TFP is basically a magazine version of Eklund.

ah, splendid. Whats the feeling around Preds nation about Suter right now?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,426

Post#557 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Most think it's probably 70/30 that he's leaving but he's not going to go to a market where there's a lot of media attention.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#558 » by OldNo7 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

So despite the likelihood/possibility of losing Brodeur and Parise over the next two seasons, NJ chose to keep #29 this year and forfeit a first in either 2013 or 2014? Not sure that is a smart move Lou.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#559 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 am

Jordan Staal rejects a 10 year offer. Appears to either want out, or at least want to test the UFA market next year. Odds on a trade?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#560 » by Nolan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:53 am

OldNo7 wrote:Jordan Staal rejects a 10 year offer. Appears to either want out, or at least want to test the UFA market next year. Odds on a trade?

10 years 60 million is a damn good offer, so for him to not even consider it makes it pretty clear to me that he wants out. The Pens gotta deal him, because if they don't he's walking at the end of next year.

Return to The General NHL Board