Getzlaf AND Perry sign 8yr extension with Ducks

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,766

Getzlaf AND Perry sign 8yr extension with Ducks 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Sat Mar 9, 2013 3:25 pm

http://nhl.si.com/2013/03/08/ryan-getzl ... cts-perry/

Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray crossed one item off his to-do list today by signing team captain Ryan Getzlaf to an eight-year extension worth $66 million.

That’s a significant commitment from the Ducks. The eight-year term is the max allowable under the new CBA and the annual cap of $8.25 million ties him for the fourth highest in the league, trailing just Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby. That’s pretty thin air for a player that put up career-low numbers last season and ranked among the year’s biggest underachievers.

But Getzlaf has been among the most impactful players so far in 2013. His 27 points puts him among the league’s top-10 scorers and he’s been a consistent force for a Ducks team that has to be recognized among the few legitimate contenders for the Cup.

There’ll still be plenty of voices suggesting this is an overpayment, but this feels like a case of a team paying to hold onto one of the best players in franchise history, and fearing the alternatives if they don’t....

interesting to see what this means for corey perry, and like the article mentions, even bobby ryan.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: Getzlaf signs 8yr/66mil extension 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:26 pm

I was shocked when I seen this one. The 8 years doesn't surprise me (Getzlaf loves it there) but that's a ton of cash. This deal ties him with Eric Staal as the 4th highest paid player in the league.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:13 pm

I don't mind locking up your guy long term, but that's crazy money
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,766

Post#4 » by dockingsched » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:39 am

ducks and perry come to an agreement now too

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/stor ... -extension

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Anaheim Ducks have agreed to an eight-year contract extension with right wing Corey Perry, keeping the former NHL MVP with the club through the 2020-21 NHL season.

The deal is worth $69 million for an average of $8.63 million per year, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

The Ducks announced the deal Monday night after the first period of their game against the San Jose Sharks.

Perry's deal is the same length as the extension signed by captain Ryan Getzlaf earlier this month. Perry and Getzlaf have spent their entire careers together with Anaheim, winning the Stanley Cup in 2007 and earning Olympic gold medals for Canada together in 2010.

Perry was named league MVP in 2011, when he won the Richard Trophy as the NHL's top goal-scorer with his first 50-goal season. The physical forward has 453 points in 555 games with the Ducks.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Getzlaf AND Perry sign 8yr extension with Ducks 

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:30 am

Locking up almost 17 million for two players for 8 years....have fun
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#6 » by Nolan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:41 pm

ajaX82 wrote:Locking up almost 17 million for two players for 8 years....have fun

Agreed.

So I guess this means Ryan's on the market again?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#7 » by Ado05 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 pm

If I was Murray, I wouldve dealt Perry. I know theyre having a great season, but like ajax said, 17 million for two players? You gotta be kidding me. Plus they have Ryan, who is no Perry, but hes still a very good player. The assets they would get from a Perry deal would really help them out too.
Skip B
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Skip B » Thu May 23, 2013 12:13 am

Good foe them. Good Canadian boys living the dream in Cali plus on a contending team year after year. Lucky sobs.

El Heat

Return to The General NHL Board