Your Opinion of long contracts?

Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Your Opinion of long contracts? 

Post#1 » by Geddy » Sat Jul 7, 2007 3:18 am

I'd like to hear what you guys think of all these long contracts being handed out this off season (and a few last season). It seems that since the salary cap doesn't allow teams to lure players with big money per year, they offer good money for many years - usually 6 or 7 years.

Is this really a wise move for teams? They are setting aside money for a player that might not even do well, for a long time. If the team doesn't happen to do well, the long contracts might hurt in restructuring the team down the road.

Anyway, what do you guys think of them?
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Sat Jul 7, 2007 3:48 am

Alexei Yashin
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#3 » by timd1218 » Sat Jul 7, 2007 9:22 pm

Depends on age, who the player is and how good they are.

For Sidney Crosby, I'd lock him up for 10 years.

Alexei Yashin was a bad signing by the Islanders. He wasn't good enough for that contract.

Daniel Briere getting 7 years was a bit too much. He'll be 37 when his contract is up. Plus, he's only shown 1 year of his career where he is a 7 million dollar type player.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#4 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:17 pm

Penguins shoulda fought for a longer deal with Sid.
Go Raps!!
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#5 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Long contracts happen for two reasons. Teams in desperation mode needing to sign a good player because of pressure from the media, fans, and/or the owners, often times overpay on both the amount and the length of a salary (see, Alexei Yashin, New York Islanders). However, the current state of the NHL is no doubt growing and expanding, and as the salary cap continues to grow players individual salaries will grow in unison. Therefore, it is a quality financial move to sign a young, talented (durable) player to a long contract even if it seems like too much at this current time (see, Thomas Vanek, Buffalo Sabres) because 4 years from now, when you still have them under contract for another few seasons, it will cost you more to attain a player of the same caliber.

All that being said, that is why I still believe that the Islanders made a finacially smart, albiet risky, move signing DiPietro to a 15 year 67 millon dollar contract. Sure, he could get injured and never play again but that is an educated risk every team has to make when signing a good player to a big contract. DiPietro is 25 years old, has had a very steller and progressive young career, is American, loves playing in New York and is one of the best young goalies in the NHL. The Islanders now have a future top 10 goalie under contract for the next decade and a half and 5 years from now I have no doubt in my mind that DiPietro will be the most underpaid player in the NHL by only earning 4.5 million a year as a quality starting net minder.

Long contracts can hinder a teams future but if invested in the right player, especially during this current state of the NHL, I think it is a financially responsible action that will support the future of the franchise. Many teams have looked at what the Islanders have done and have minimiced this approach during this off season. Depending on the player signed, most teams should benefit from this down the road.

Long contract give stability to both the player and franchise.
Go Raps!!
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by timd1218 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:15 am

RoyceDa59 wrote:Penguins shoulda fought for a longer deal with Sid.

Sid doesn't want a long contract. He wants to win. This way, if the Pens aren't trying to win within the next 6 years, he will be able to leave rather than having to wait longer. Smart move by both teams.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#7 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:43 am

I think they're a terrible idea. In a sport like hockey, long term contracts can be absolutely devastating if an injury occurs, or even a drop in quality of play. They become untradeable.

The Islanders are the worst at this. First DiPietro, now Yashin. It's not like these two are superstars or anything. I mean, they are both good, but if either of them get injured or underperform (which is a distinct possibility now that they have huge contracts), then the Islanders are screwed.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
dbenton
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by dbenton » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:31 pm

Right now, I'm not a fan of them. In the NHL, the landscape of the sport is constantly changing still and to be locked into players for 6-7 years removes the flexibility you have as an organization to change with the game.

Now, players like Crosby, are another story because they are top notch talents and will thrive in any system.

Return to The General NHL Board