Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,299

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1081 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Does this affect the wolves' willingness/ability to pay tax to keep their core next year?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1082 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Does this affect the wolves' willingness/ability to pay tax to keep their core next year?

Who knows? Gotta see what the claims and legal merits are. In theory, Taylor just got a huge cash infusion, but I would assume there will be insane lawsuits that might lock up what the team can do temporarily in terms of spending and long term planning until all lawsuits are resolved.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,889

Post#1083 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

Well, glad we found out the incompetence of A-Rod/Lore before they bought the team. They would have been--without a doubt--the cheapest AND dumbest owners in the NBA. Imagine being in a contractual agreement to buy a franchise for ~half of its actual value and not being able to figure out how to get the money to purchase.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#1084 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

mademan wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
mademan wrote:Turning down Green+some of their 1sts for Bridges is gonna end up getting Marks fired.

I know Green is the flavor of the month right now, but I'm not yet sold he's all that.

That said it never made sense not to sell high on Bridges knowing you couldn't put a contender around him and you were just wasting these cheap years. Utah made the same mistake with Lauri. Ainge is ruthless enough I thought he might, but the governor may be overruling him.

If a guy can't ever realistically be the best player on a contender, you aren't very good, and teams want to badly overpay, you should generally let them.

Ya wild to me. The value in Bridges was the length and cheapness of his contract. He becomes worth considerably less the longer BRK waits and the closer he gets to his next contract which will likely be an overpay (max). For a team with a dearth of assets and no real direction atm, not selling high makes zero sense.

I'm gonna be in agreement with you guys on that Bridges non-trade, if they could have gotten Green and 3 #1's or whatever it was I'm sure if Houston offed 4 #1's they should have jumped on that. And like you said the shorter Bridges contract gets the less value there is in that.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#1085 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Uhhh

Read on Twitter
?t=H86OBcqHY_m_ppHecDAyZw&s=19

Dang!! I just got my tax refund! :banghead:
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#1086 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:So if I'm following this correctly, Lore and A-Rod already bought shares of the team, got the rest locked in at an sweet outdated evaluation that they could pay later (but before March 27th), acquired funding, then just... Let the clock run out????? Wtf

They don't have the money and couldn't get it right? Didn't we just see something last week about a lender dropping out? Whalers will have more details because he's been suggesting this result almost from the beginning.
I must have missed that I thought they had just gotten the money recently from a new source?

Regardless, hard to believe they couldn't get funding for something they're buying at a $1.5B eval that is now evaluated at over $3B unless they were really burning bridges
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,741

Post#1087 » by GIMME_DATT » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Hmm
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#1088 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

This is going to be interesting, but nothing that has been said is surprising.

A-Rod and Lore accusing Glen Taylor of sellers remorse.

All of the below are true, but it doesn't necessarily make Glen Taylor the bad guy here:
-The team was vastly undervalued at the point-of-sale, with the team clearly being worth double what the evaluation was set at
-Best Timberwolves team in 20 years [2004 Baby with Peak KG! 58 Wins!]
-Bright future with a front-runner for "American Face of the NBA" for the next decade

Why? Because at the end of the day, an agreement is an agreement. The details matter, the moving of money has deadlines and if they aren't met, the seller doesn't need to sell.

I am excited to see how this unfolds, even with my Timberwolves Fandom. This type of stuff is not only interesting but uncommon [How often are teams sold?].

I think it is important for everyone not to take sides as there is still so much we don't know, and both sides making statements as they express their frustration and to control the narrative of what is taking place.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,844

Post#1089 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

Colbinii wrote:I think it is important for everyone not to take sides as there is still so much we don't know, and both sides making statements as they express their frustration and to control the narrative of what is taking place.

This, sir, is the internet. :D

Regardless of which planted narrative is more accurate, its a bad look. One side is either broke or incompetent or both. Or Taylor wanted to dump a franchise that had struggled for 20 years but is like oh we are good again, let me break my word. But hopefully people will try and keep that separate from the on-court product--though speculating how how this impacts their ability to keep this team together seems unavoidable.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#1090 » by wolves_89 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:So if I'm following this correctly, Lore and A-Rod already bought shares of the team, got the rest locked in at an sweet outdated evaluation that they could pay later (but before March 27th), acquired funding, then just... Let the clock run out????? Wtf

They don't have the money and couldn't get it right? Didn't we just see something last week about a lender dropping out? Whalers will have more details because he's been suggesting this result almost from the beginning.

My understanding is that Lore and A-Rod currently have the financing in place and were waiting for the NBA board of governors to approve the deal (the board doesn't meet again until sometime in April). The issue seems to be that Glen Taylor is claiming that the NBA had to approve the deal by March 27, while Lore and A-Rod believe that submitting the paperwork and financial documentation to the league was what was required by the deadline.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#1091 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

My understanding is that Lore and A-Rod currently have the financing in place and were waiting for the NBA board of governors to approve the deal (the board doesn't meet again until sometime in April). The issue seems to be that Glen Taylor is claiming that the NBA had to approve the deal by March 27, while Lore and A-Rod believe that submitting the paperwork and financial documentation to the league was what was required by the deadline.

If this is all it is, litigations should be on the shorter side.

One of those moments were "Winning cures everything" isn't actually going to remedy the situation :lol:

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#1092 » by wolves_89 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

Colbinii wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

One of those moments were "Winning cures everything" isn't actually going to remedy the situation :lol:

I'm skeptical that the arbitration and/or litigation of the issue is going to be a quick process. This really sucks since there are critical decisions that need to be made over the next 3-4 months in terms of payroll, and having ownership status in limbo could have a major negative impact on the offseason.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#1093 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

I'm skeptical that the arbitration and/or litigation of the issue is going to be a quick process. This really sucks since there are critical decisions that need to be made over the next 3-4 months in terms of payroll, and having ownership status in limbo could have a major negative impact on the offseason.

I would say that fans should be VERY GLAD that Edwards/Conley were extended early. :nod:
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,691

Post#1094 » by shrink » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=agH1niztkujZdnBjj-2YZg

Update

“ Over the last three years, Rodriguez and Lore purchased 40 percent of the team in two 20 percent installments. They were supposed to acquire the final 40 percent in early 2024 and Taylor was to keep 20 percent.”

However Taylor says they missed the deadline yesterday and has canceled the sale and voided their agreement this morning.

Taylor says he’s gonna run the team as majority owner and that they can keep their 37% they paid for so far.

Arod and Lore are going to file an appeal to the NBA and their legal representation.

Arod and Lore gonna sue Glen Taylor and fight for ownership of the team now.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#1095 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

Being a Wolves fan is hilarious. Everyone should try it.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Texas Chuck

Post#1096 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:Being a Wolves fan is hilarious. Everyone should try it.

I did. It was called 90's Mavs. Except as bad as things have been for the Wolves, it cannot remotely approach that level of incompetence. Ross Perot Jr bought the team just to build the new arena and surrounding development. An actual competent roster was not the point. And when they hit on 3 straight picks after missing over and over they traded all 3 of Jackson, Mashburn, and Kidd in a 6 day span for a grand total of Michael Finley, Shawn Bradley, 6 games of Kurt Thomas and the AC Green consecutive games banner.

Sorry for incompetence nothing beats the Mavs the decade prior to Dirk and Cuban showing up.

And if you want to know just how bad the rosters got, Mike Iuzzolino was on the Mavs NBA Jam roster. And for you kids this was an arcade 2 on 2 NBA basketball game. This guy was seen as the Mavs 2nd best player. And any of you who aren't Mavs fans who have heard of him are either basketball sickos or are lying lol.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#1097 » by HornetJail » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I did. It was called 90's Mavs. Except as bad as things have been for the Wolves, it cannot remotely approach that level of incompetence. Ross Perot Jr bought the team just to build the new arena and surrounding development. An actual competent roster was not the point. And when they hit on 3 straight picks after missing over and over they traded all 3 of Jackson, Mashburn, and Kidd in a 6 day span for a grand total of Michael Finley, Shawn Bradley, 6 games of Kurt Thomas and the AC Green consecutive games banner.

Sorry for incompetence nothing beats the Mavs the decade prior to Dirk and Cuban showing up.

And if you want to know just how bad the rosters got, Mike Iuzzolino was on the Mavs NBA Jam roster. And for you kids this was an arcade 2 on 2 NBA basketball game. This guy was seen as the Mavs 2nd best player. And any of you who aren't Mavs fans who have heard of him are either basketball sickos or are lying lol.

The 1992-93 Mavs have an argument for worst team of all time... 11-71 and their -15.2 NET Rating (that ties the 2011-12 Bobcats for the worst ever and they are two full points worse than anyone else in league history). And yes, staring down that roster, I recognize at most 5 names.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#1098 » by HornetJail » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

trade you any day
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,751

Post#1099 » by SkyHook » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

Guilty. Also old.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
Texas Chuck

Post#1100 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 pm

HornetJail wrote:The 1992-93 Mavs have an argument for worst team of all time... 11-71 and their -15.2 NET Rating (that ties the 2011-12 Bobcats for the worst ever and they are two full points worse than anyone else in league history). And yes, staring down that roster, I recognize at most 5 names.

Yep nice to be last in offense, but making it up by being last in defense as well lol.

Return to Trades and Transactions