Nets Can’t Wait

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,503

Nets Can’t Wait 

Post#1 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

I know Nets are all-in on offseason of 2025. But it isn’t looking good. Markkanen looks like an easy re-negotiate and extend for Jazz (or a trade to team who can do the same). Mitchell extending in Cleveland. Ingram extending in New Orleans.

So, Nets go early…

Cavs Trade: Mitchell + Filler
FOR
Mikal Bridges + Cam Thomas + 27 76ers 1st/29 Mavs 1st (via Nets)
Why= enough of a “can’t say no offer” for the risk that is re-signing Mitchell?

Jazz Trade: Markkanen + Sexton
FOR
Simmons + Whitehead or Clowney + 25/27/29 Suns 1sts (via Nets)
Why= seems like an Ainge offer, getting aging Suns owed 1sts.

Nets Trade: Bridges + Simmons + Cam Thomas + Whitehead or Clowney + All Owed Picks
FOR
Mitchell + Markkanen + Sexton + Cavs Filler
Why= if they can retain Claxton, they have a top team in East. And as early as 2025 offseason, have 28/30/32 plus a few swaps to make next all-in trade.
Claxton | Sharpe
Johnson | DFS
Markkanen
Sexton
Mitchell | Schroeder
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Re: Nets Can’t Wait 

Post#2 » by Chinook » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 am

As far as I know, Markkanen isn't able to be traded and then renegotiated and extended. It MIGHT be possible for Utah to extend him then trade him on the deadline, but it's close.

I don't think the Nets should this. This is another thread with what I would say is a crazy evaluation for Mark. I don't see why the Nets would've gone through all this and not just keep Mikal to play with Mitchel. If they're smart, they wouldn't see the core after this trade as one who would win anything, and keeping some powder dry around Mitchell and Bridges makes more long-term sense.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 am

Chinook wrote:As far as I know, Markkanen isn't able to be traded and then renegotiated and extended. It MIGHT be possible for Utah to extend him then trade him on the deadline, but it's close.

I think fairly common around these parts Markkanen can be traded to a cap team and they too can renegotiate and extend - if they have the current cap space to pull it off. Not happening in OP.

I get Nets will be sitting on their hands until 25 offseason. Huge Nets HOPE players listed in OP aren’t off the table. I think they will be.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#4 » by drchaos » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 am

The Nets need to do everything the can to get under the cap to sign Mitchell and either sign Lauri outright as a free agent or work out a sign and trade.

If they can get those two guys while keeping all or most of their picks as well as Bridges, Thomas, Clowney, Whitehead, and either Claxton or Sharpe they will be dangerous.

All of the players over 30 including DFS need to go.

It doesn't look like they can keep both Claxton and Cam Johnson if they are serious about getting under the cap for both players.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 pm

drchaos wrote:The Nets need to do everything the can to get under the cap to sign Mitchell and either sign Lauri outright as a free agent or work out a sign and trade.

We all get this is Nets plan. The plan of hope. (Hope isn’t a plan, but I digress…)

Nets have to hope one of the major free agents is actually a free agent come 2025 offseason. Mitchell, Ingram, and Markkanen.

Markkanen is like 90% guaranteed to get renegotiate and re-sign this offseason. Mark him gone (pun intended).

Mitchell - the Nets best hope - will be full court pressed to extend with Cavs. As will Ingram in New Orleans.

So, now Nets have dwindling hope a prime free agent even exists. Then we have their next false hope. Will said free agent even say yes to Nets money. A free agent is just that - free to decide where they play. Other teams will have same hope, and same money to offer that free agent.

Nets sure hope the wait it out “hope plan” works.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#6 » by drchaos » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
drchaos wrote:The Nets need to do everything the can to get under the cap to sign Mitchell and either sign Lauri outright as a free agent or work out a sign and trade.

We all get this is Nets plan. The plan of hope. (Hope isn’t a plan, but I digress…)

Nets have to hope one of the major free agents is actually a free agent come 2025 offseason. Mitchell, Ingram, and Markkanen.

Markkanen is like 90% guaranteed to get renegotiate and re-sign this offseason. Mark him gone (pun intended).

Mitchell - the Nets best hope - will be full court pressed to extend with Cavs. As will Ingram in New Orleans.

So, now Nets have dwindling hope a prime free agent even exists. Then we have their next false hope. Will said free agent even say yes to Nets money. A free agent is just that - free to decide where they play. Other teams will have same hope, and same money to offer that free agent.

Not really about hope.

The Nets plan is to wait out the expiration of the Ben Simmons contract or to sell him as an expiring contract.

Time is on their side.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

drchaos wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Not really about hope.

The Nets plan is to wait out the expiration of the Ben Simmons contract or to sell him as an expiring contract.

Time is on their side.

The 2025 free agent plan is 100% about hope.

Time is opposite of being on their side. It is their enemy. More time for free agents to dry up and re-sign - be courted by incumbent team. Two offseasons in fact (because incumbent can re-sign before Nets get their chance during 2025 offseason).

More time to sit around and watch own 1st go #8 to Rockets in 2024…and since on pace to be just as bad next season (since no big 2024 offseason plans but WAIT as you say), watch their 2025 swap reward Rockets with another top 10 1st.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,256

Post#8 » by Catchall » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 pm

So Mitchell wants to extend in Cleveland? Or is he just putting that out there for leverage? The Lakers thought they had a shot at him this summer.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 pm

Catchall wrote:So Mitchell wants to extend in Cleveland? Or is he just putting that out there for leverage? The Lakers thought they had a shot at him this summer.

I think Lakers offer is interesting:

Reaves + Rui + Vincent + who they drafted #14 + 29/31 1sts

I think other teams who think they have high likely hood of re-signing Mitchell could beat that offer…would. Nets for example.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#10 » by JKiddy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 pm

drchaos wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Not really about hope.

Time is on their side.

Correct. This guy gets it!

If the rumors are true it seems like Mitchell wants to play in BK alongside Bridges and Claxton. I would not be surprised if many other players are traded. But, I think they likely build around:

Mitchell
Bridges
Cam Thomas
Claxton
Clowney
Wilson
LW3
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 pm

JKiddy wrote:
drchaos wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:We all get this is Nets plan. The plan of hope. (Hope isn’t a plan, but I digress…)

Not really about hope.

Time is on their side.

Correct. This guy gets it!

If the rumors are true it seems like Mitchell wants to play in BK alongside Bridges and Claxton. I would not be surprised if many other players are traded.

That is the Nets hope. Hope the rumors are true. Read right above in the news, Cavs owner talking positively about Mitchell extending. To the fact Mitchell wants to extend. That isn’t hope or rumors that “need to be true.” Both parties are having real dialogue that would kill all Mitchell hope for Nets.

Which BTW, even if Cavs and Mitchell can’t secure an extension, Mitchell still needs to say yes to Nets money. That is a ton of hope.

And let’s not forget if Mitchell is traded elsewhere, kills Nets hope of securing Mitchell as 25 free agent. Say Lakers. Or other locations who have shown interest and believe trading for Mitchell would get him to re-sign there.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,184

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 pm

If Mitchell agrees to extend in Cleveland, the Cavs are just going to hold onto him. The organization will find it very easy to say no regardless of the offer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Catchall wrote:So Mitchell wants to extend in Cleveland? Or is he just putting that out there for leverage? The Lakers thought they had a shot at him this summer.

I think Lakers offer is interesting:

Reaves + Rui + Vincent + who they drafted #14 + 29/31 1sts

I think other teams who think they have high likely hood of re-signing Mitchell could beat that offer…would. Nets for example.

I don't have Vincent or Rui as positive value contracts. That type offer really tests the idea of you can't let a guy walk for nothing.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#14 » by Mike lorenzo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 pm

jbk1234 wrote:If Mitchell agrees to extend in Cleveland, the Cavs are just going to hold onto him. The organization will find it very easy to say no regardless of the offer.

Personally, you think Mitchell will spread in Cleveland (sorry for the intrusion, but I'm interested in your opinion). As the good conspiracy theorist that I admit to being (getting it right with Brunson) I believe that there is something behind the scenes between Nets and Donovan (without any basis of course) The NETS movements have seemed strange to me, to say the least... as if I were totally sure of get some big prize in FA...not changing to DFS, or rejecting the offers for Bridges (especially the one reported from Houston that is incomprehensible) would be very irresponsible, without an established plan...
1+1=11
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#15 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If Mitchell agrees to extend in Cleveland, the Cavs are just going to hold onto him. The organization will find it very easy to say no regardless of the offer.

Personally, you think Mitchell will spread in Cleveland (sorry for the intrusion, but I'm interested in your opinion). As the good conspiracy theorist that I admit to being (getting it right with Brunson) I believe that there is something behind the scenes between Nets and Donovan (without any basis of course) The NETS movements have seemed strange to me, to say the least... as if I were totally sure of get some big prize in FA...not changing to DFS, or rejecting the offers for Bridges (especially the one reported from Houston that is incomprehensible) would be very irresponsible, without an established plan...

This is what I was going to respond to WolvesWin with, that it isn’t 100% hope and you have to be naive to believe that.

They have 100% heard concrete things behind the scenes that lead them to believe he, or others will come to the Nets, by hook or crook.

Wouldn’t doubt it’s by trade, but that trade will not involve Bridges, and it will probably be for enough lesser value than what many will expect, to leave Brooklyn with wiggle room for another big trade, imho.

Now there’s definitely a factor of hope, a lot can change in a year, but if I’m a betting man, Mitchell will publicly decree his desire to become a free agent in ‘25, this summer, expediting the process.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#16 » by JKiddy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:

This is what I was going to respond to WolvesWin with, that it isn’t 100% hope and you have to be naive to believe that.

They have 100% heard concrete things behind the scenes that lead them to believe he, or others will come to the Nets, by hook or crook.

Wouldn’t doubt it’s by trade, but that trade will not involve Bridges, and it will probably be for enough lesser value than what many will expect, to leave Brooklyn with wiggle room for another big trade, imho.

Now there’s definitely a factor of hope, a lot can change in a year, but if I’m a betting man, Mitchell will publicly decree his desire to become a free agent in ‘25, this summer, expediting the process.

Do you have any sports industry experience? This is spot on what an agent would work on with a client like Mitchell during the summer. I am impressed with these thoughts as they might be spot on.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:

I mean the Mavs didn't extend Brunson when they had the chance and then the Knicks hired his father, so there were concrete factors you could look at and conclude there was something there.

I don't know for sure that Mitchell is going to extend in Cleveland, I'm skeptical that Mitchell knows that, but I know that half the players in the NBA have been rumored to be signing with, or getting traded to, the Lakers or NY teams, and if you're marketing eyeballs to advertisers, you have all the incentive in the world to push those rumors. The phrase Knicks for Clicks exists for a reason.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,112

Post#18 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:44 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Chinook wrote:As far as I know, Markkanen isn't able to be traded and then renegotiated and extended. It MIGHT be possible for Utah to extend him then trade him on the deadline, but it's close.

I think fairly common around these parts Markkanen can be traded to a cap team and they too can renegotiate and extend - if they have the current cap space to pull it off. Not happening in OP.

I get Nets will be sitting on their hands until 25 offseason. Huge Nets HOPE players listed in OP aren’t off the table. I think they will be.

You have to wait 6 months after the trade for the renegotiate and extend. Pretty sure it’s six months at least. So you’d have to hold that space open.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:12 pm

For the record, not convinced Mitchell will want out, he very well may re-sign in Cleveland.

Usually where there’s smoke there’s fire, but this doesn’t feel like Durant, LeBron, Harden, Kyrie, Dame, etc. level where there was no question and only fans emotionally clinging and contrarians thought else-wise.

But it still feels like he prefers to be somewhere else, just like when Ainge started this whole thing when he initially traded him to Cleveland, getting way ahead of it, for better or worse.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#20 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:19 pm

JKiddy wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:Personally, you think Mitchell will spread in Cleveland (sorry for the intrusion, but I'm interested in your opinion). As the good conspiracy theorist that I admit to being (getting it right with Brunson) I believe that there is something behind the scenes between Nets and Donovan (without any basis of course) The NETS movements have seemed strange to me, to say the least... as if I were totally sure of get some big prize in FA...not changing to DFS, or rejecting the offers for Bridges (especially the one reported from Houston that is incomprehensible) would be very irresponsible, without an established plan...

Do you have any sports industry experience? This is spot on what an agent would work on with a client like Mitchell during the summer. I am impressed with these thoughts as they might be spot on.

Lol I do not, but thanks.

Personally think Mitchell is feeling some sort of way about leaving Cleveland, even though he’s always had his sights set on his home turf, or one of the classic big market/nice climate draws like Miami, LA, or even outside shot at Orlando, or a Texas team.

I don’t think he’s a guy who looks through the present, he cares about winning right now and plays his ass off, but I also think he simultaneously keeps an ear to the streets for his future.

Being that he was traded for and discarded by the team that drafted him after showing how good he is, I don’t believe he has a sense of hometown loyalty to anyone at this point, but is a loyal dude just in general.

It will be an interesting summer for the whole league, he’s an enormous domino no matter what path he chooses.

Return to Trades and Transactions