ATL/POR/ORL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,697

ATL/POR/ORL 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:52 pm

ORL sends: WCJ to POR, Jett to ATL
ORL gets: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin, Robert Williams

ATL sends: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin to ORL
ATL gets: Jerami Grant, Jett Howard

POR sends: Jerami Grant to ATL, Robert Williams to ORL
POR gets: WCJ, tremendous cap relief

ATL rebalances roster without taking a step back.
POR continues rebuild with young versatile complement to Ayton and saves salary penalties that a rebuilding team shouldn't be paying
ORL adds backcourt punch at tremendous position of need, swaps shooters for Paolo's buddy, weaponizes salary to absorb Time-Lord

I'm wondering if ORL needs to add a pick (DEN 25 to ATL) if there are other serious suitors for DJM?
tester551
Analyst
And1: 828

Re: ATL/POR/ORL 

Post#2 » by tester551 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:10 pm

Skybox wrote:ORL sends: WCJ to POR, Jett to ATL

POR continues rebuild with young versatile complement to Ayton and saves salary penalties that a rebuilding team shouldn't be paying
ORL adds backcourt punch at tremendous position of need, swaps shooters for Paolo's buddy, weaponizes salary to absorb Time-Lord

I'm wondering if ORL needs to add a pick (DEN 25 to ATL) if there are other serious suitors for DJM?

This is not even close for Portland... and WAY too good for Orlando.

I have RW3 & WCJ as about equal value.

Jett does not get Murray + Griffin. Nor does Portland donate Grant for free.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,749

Post#3 » by Clav » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:15 pm

POR wants more back for Grant than just WCJ, for sure. At least another pick.

Regarding Murray, yes, I would imagine teams will inquire, including the Lakers in some sort of Hachimura or DLO trade [3 team possible]

However I do like the targets here, could be worked more with some of the folks here who support ATL / POR to chime in!
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Skybox
RealGM

Post#4 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 pm

tester551 wrote:

This is not even close for Portland... and WAY too good for Orlando.

I have RW3 & WCJ as about equal value.

Jett does not get Murray + Griffin. Nor does Portland donate Grant for free.

seems like a reasonable take...

If I thought Jett got Murray and Griffin. I would have posted that :crazy: I figured Jett gets Griffin

I'm a little baffled by your valuation of RW3...I figured it was about the value of Lonzo

Tough for a fan to accept, ask your GM about Grant and Williams' deals and their resultant tax penalties. ORL has extensive cap space - that has value, especially to a team at the bottom of a rebuild with a couple of highly-paid veterans on a completely different timeline...one of which is in the intensive care ward. I assume TAKING Time Lord's corpse's salary off of POR's payroll, considering where POR is today and next year, was an important factor...if you're telling me he's ready to dominate this fall - bad on me. I had it as a bet for ORL and a benefit either way he goes for POR.

POR's situation is a little bit different than other tax apron teams...that shouldn't be happening for a rebuilding team in a small market.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,071

Post#5 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 pm

I think its light for the Hawks. Blazers I dont have Williams worth much right now, but they should probably keep them and see if he can get healthy. Grant and WCJ probably equal value given Grant's contract. Probably too good for the Magic. I do like Grant to the Hawks though.

I think it would be a better idea for the Magic to keep WCJ, Blazers to keep Williams. Magic send out picks instead.
wemby
Senior
And1: 321

Post#6 » by wemby » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 pm

WCJ & Jett don't get you Dejounte Murray, Magic is stealing value here
I'd pass for the Hawks, I like Dejounte better than Jerami Grant at their current contracts
For the Blazers it depends on how they value Grant's contract, if they want to unload him it doesn't seem too bad, if they value production then I guess they can get better players in return (with worse contracts). RWIII value is either neutral or slightly negative given his ridiculously low availability
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,345

Post#7 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 pm

I have jett and griffin/williams worth about the same. Orlando owes pick(s) for wcj murray swap
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,071

Post#8 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:30 pm

Magic: Murray
Hawks: Grant+ Thybulle
Blazers: Hunter + 3 1st round picks from Magic

or the Blazers get two 1sts and the extra 1st goes to the Hawks, not sure
Skybox
RealGM

Post#9 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:37 pm

Here's the math for POR ... presently $55 million over the cap and into severe apron penalties (correct me if I'm wrong)

finished 15th out of 15 in the West...just saying-not rubbing it in, I like some of their young guys and ORL was also just there

Incoming Salary...Wendell Carter Jr (age 25) 3 more years totaling $35million on a DESCENDING deal that gets better every year

Outgoing Salary...Jerami Grant (30) 3 more years totaling $96 million PLUS a player option for $36m...good player, not for long
and, the body of Robert Williams (26) 2 more years totaling $25 million, not including medical care

*I love Time-Lord, I wouldn't risk a lot for the likelihood that he'll play much or soon, but he's a great personality and good player

My point is just that ORL is in a strong position to weaponize their cap space and POR is in a good position to focus on the rebuild, not pay obscene money to vets that won't make a lot of difference, if they even play. I can't speak for POR ownership, but that's a lot of money to J. Grant to either weaken draft position or sit out and age out of any perceivable trade value. Scoot/Sharpe/Ayton is the future...the rest are obstacles. Simons should be moved too, but that's another thread.

BTW, Wendell Carter is actually really good...his versatility is kind of compromised and overshadowed by Paolo & Franz or we wouldn't be talking.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#10 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:45 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:I have jett and griffin/williams worth about the same. Orlando owes pick(s) for wcj murray swap

Maybe if Williams plays...I figure Griffin can't even break into the ATL rotation in his second year. Jett is a similar prospect, who also hasn't been given the chance, although I suspect ORL FO intended to park him in G League regardless...I like the idea of reuniting Paolo and his Duke wingman and basically considered that ATL wasn't using him...Jett at least holds mysterious upside.

I absolutely had Williams as a negative value, due to his unfortunately consistent injury history.

Grant, I consider a negative for a bottom team...but a pretty good player...I figured DJM/Trae didn't work, so just kind of a rebalance for ATL...somewhat equivalent on-court value as Murray but older and stupid deal in a few years. If anything, ATL needs more sweetening, imo, not POR.

I'm not locked in on any of this...I would have ORL adding pick(s) as needed - just not many and not because POR doesn't factor in cap issues. I just figured ATL would value win-now guys like Grant over picks...otherwise, POR not here at all.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#11 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 pm

Skybox wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:I have jett and griffin/williams worth about the same. Orlando owes pick(s) for wcj murray swap

Maybe if Williams plays...I figure Griffin can't even break into the ATL rotation in his second year. Jett is a similar prospect, who also hasn't been given the chance, although I suspect ORL FO intended to park him in G League regardless...I like the idea of reuniting Paolo and his Duke wingman and basically considered that ATL wasn't using him...Jett at least holds mysterious upside.

I absolutely had Williams as a negative value, due to his unfortunately consistent injury history.

Grant, I consider a negative for a bottom team...but a pretty good player...I figured DJM/Trae didn't work, so just kind of a rebalance for ATL...somewhat equivalent on-court value as Murray but older and stupid deal in a few years. If anything, ATL needs more sweetening, imo, not POR.

I'm not locked in on any of this...I would have ORL adding pick(s) as needed - just not many and not because POR doesn't factor in cap issues. I just figured ATL would value win-now guys like Grant over picks...otherwise, POR not here at all.

If williams is negstive he shouldn't be in the trade at all. Portland have no reason to pay to dump him
Skybox
RealGM

Post#12 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:06 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Skybox wrote:

If williams is negstive he shouldn't be in the trade at all. Portland have no reason to pay to dump him

I guess it's not your money (or mine)...but the penalties and player movement restrictions that are applied to tax apron teams make it harder to dig out of a hole than ever before. From ORL side, I'd rather add a pick than absorb that salary, just what I thought POR would prefer at this juncture.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,822

Post#13 » by Fitz303 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:17 pm

Skybox wrote:Here's the math for POR ... presently $55 million over the cap and into severe apron penalties (correct me if I'm wrong)

finished 15th out of 15 in the West...just saying-not rubbing it in, I like some of their young guys and ORL was also just there

Incoming Salary...Wendell Carter Jr (age 25) 3 more years totaling $35million on a DESCENDING deal that gets better every year

Outgoing Salary...Jerami Grant (30) 3 more years totaling $96 million PLUS a player option for $36m...good player, not for long
and, the body of Robert Williams (26) 2 more years totaling $25 million, not including medical care

*I love Time-Lord, I wouldn't risk a lot for the likelihood that he'll play much or soon, but he's a great personality and good player

My point is just that ORL is in a strong position to weaponize their cap space and POR is in a good position to focus on the rebuild, not pay obscene money to vets that won't make a lot of difference, if they even play. I can't speak for POR ownership, but that's a lot of money to J. Grant to either weaken draft position or sit out and age out of any perceivable trade value. Scoot/Sharpe/Ayton is the future...the rest are obstacles. Simons should be moved too, but that's another thread.

BTW, Wendell Carter is actually really good...his versatility is kind of compromised and overshadowed by Paolo & Franz or we wouldn't be talking.

The math for Portland is that, depending on their draft pick usage this June, they're likely 6-10 million over the luxury tax. They're not concerned about cutting back to being a cap space team, just getting under the luxury tax. The team likes Jerami Grant and values him substantially more than a salary dump. He also plays a position of significant need for Portland. It's far more likely that they deal a guard, with Brogdon, Thybulle, or even Simons being more likely in a deal, or combo of deals, where they take in that 10 million or so less salary in return to dodge the tax. No need to give away good players for no return. Maybe they move RWill for space and dodge the tax that way, but personally, I'd rather roll with him as the backup C going into next season.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 828

Post#14 » by tester551 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:45 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
Skybox wrote:Here's the math for POR ... presently $55 million over the cap and into severe apron penalties (correct me if I'm wrong)

The math for Portland is that, depending on their draft pick usage this June, they're likely 6-10 million over the luxury tax. They're not concerned about cutting back to being a cap space team, just getting under the luxury tax. The team likes Jerami Grant and values him substantially more than a salary dump. He also plays a position of significant need for Portland. It's far more likely that they deal a guard, with Brogdon, Thybulle, or even Simons being more likely in a deal, or combo of deals, where they take in that 10 million or so less salary in return to dodge the tax. No need to give away good players for no return. Maybe they move RWill for space and dodge the tax that way, but personally, I'd rather roll with him as the backup C going into next season.

100% correct.

Yes, Portland will need to dump ~$6-10M in salary to get out of the tax. With the dearth of FA this summer, and how much cap space is available -> I really doubt Portland will have to 'pay' to get out of the tax.

Something as simple as Thybulle into the Kings, Cavs, Rockets, or other teams' MLE for a second is doable.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#15 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 pm

Skybox wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I guess it's not your money (or mine)...but the penalties and player movement restrictions that are applied to tax apron teams make it harder to dig out of a hole than ever before. From ORL side, I'd rather add a pick than absorb that salary, just what I thought POR would prefer at this juncture.

They are already dumping enough salary by trading grant though.
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,476

Post#16 » by Ball4life32 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:01 pm

Not interested in Grant at all for ATL.

Return to Trades and Transactions