Instant Reaction: What Do The Kings Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,616

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Kings Do This Off-Season? 

Post#181 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:20 am

Sac looks to me like a team that is too good to reset and too low ceiling to get anywhere.
Honestly I think they can shuffle the chairs a little but the move is probably to take the rawest most upside player they can in the draft and hope that the upside hits. It is a low probability play but in the mean time you aren’t Detroit bad and maybe everyone pays attention to a GS collapse and it buys you some room.

As far as I can tell, the team is exactly where the critics of their moves have said it would leave them.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,680

Post#182 » by Jkam31 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 am

SNPA wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Been seeing a lot of stuff in discord and different sites linking Sacramento to Capela or Okongwu depending on if Atlanta moves one

Okongwu could make sense for Sac.

How? We need athletic wing defenders or a number two scorer we do not need okongwu just resign len
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,783

Post#183 » by BoogieTime » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:Sac looks to me like a team that is too good to reset and too low ceiling to get anywhere.
Honestly I think they can shuffle the chairs a little but the move is probably to take the rawest most upside player they can in the draft and hope that the upside hits. It is a low probability play but in the mean time you aren’t Detroit bad and maybe everyone pays attention to a GS collapse and it buys you some room.

As far as I can tell, the team is exactly where the critics of their moves have said it would leave them.

They can "shuffle the chairs" a lot. Huerter/Barnes will be replaced, which was 2/5 the starting lineup, one other member of the starting lineup can solidly improve (Murray), the bench could be better, and the team still has their draft pile (outside of the outstanding Hawks pick) to acquire solid help like some of the other teams in the conference have already done.

I'm not what your referring to being a critic of, but its probably keeping a player who hasn't had Domas impact or fit in Hali, to date. We'll see how it plays out.

The West was abnormally brutal this year, which is unfortunately where its "left them" after being third seed last year. That may or may not continue
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,244

Post#184 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Sac looks to me like a team that is too good to reset and too low ceiling to get anywhere.

They can "shuffle the chairs" a lot. Huerter/Barnes will be replaced, which was 2/5 the starting lineup, one other member of the starting lineup can solidly improve (Murray), the bench could be better, and the team still has their draft pile (outside of the outstanding Hawks pick) to acquire solid help like some of the other teams in the conference have already done.

I'm not what your referring to being a critic of, but its probably keeping a player who hasn't had Domas impact or fit in Hali, to date. We'll see how it plays out.

The West was abnormally brutal this year, which is unfortunately where its "left them" after being third seed last year. That may or may not continue

They can definitely do a lot, but ultimately the question is if Sabonis/Fox are good enough to lead a contender or does Murray have a star rise in him that it doesn't appear he has. Barring that, are they willing to go all-in to get a new best player?

Now I think from where the Kings were for nearly 2 decades, this isn't that bad. And just upgrading the players you mention and being a consistent playoff team isn't the worst result.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,553

Post#185 » by jayjaysee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm

This is a realgm idea, not a very real one.. But

KD for Barnes, Huerter, Murray, Sasha, 13th, +?.
HartfordWhalers

Post#186 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm

BoogieTime wrote:

I think Huerter and Barnes are better than they are getting viewed as. Upgrading from them will almost definitely be a marginal upgrade. To actually take another real step, they will need not better role players but better top end players.

Maybe there big 3 has that organically, but I would be a bit skeptical. So, if I'm right, it means they are currently set up to top at as a lucky 2nd rounder team or first and out without a big move. But first and out is still a good team, and one that usually isn't torn apart unless it needs to be for some reason.

Or put another way, I have them roughly where they will be even after their Barnes and/or Huerter upgrades without even doing those upgrades. And that is all before they might lose Monk.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,878

Post#187 » by giberish » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

It's not just a GS collapse that could make Sacramento look good by comparison, it's the entire Pacific division. This year GS won 46 games and were last in the division. I could easily see the Kings winning 46 games 3 years from now and win the division by 10+ games. The entire rest of the division is built to win right now and not for much longer.

Of course OKC, SA and others would outclass them in the playoffs but being a solid playoff team may not be that difficult.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,783

Post#188 » by BoogieTime » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

I think Huerter and Barnes are better than they are getting viewed as. Upgrading from them will almost definitely be a marginal upgrade. To actually take another real step, they will need not better role players but better top end players.

Maybe there big 3 has that organically, but I would be a bit skeptical. So, if I'm right, it means they are currently set up to top at as a lucky 2nd rounder team or first and out without a big move. But first and out is still a good team, and one that usually isn't torn apart unless it needs to be for some reason.

Or put another way, I have them roughly where they will be even after their Barnes and/or Huerter upgrades without even doing those upgrades. And that is all before they might lose Monk.

I can see why you would have that impression, as they actually were solid the first year this new core was together. Last year not sure how they could be painted anything but bad starters. Harrison aged rapidly, really can't move, but can still shoot. Huerter had some psychological issues and other teams were taking away his DHO with Domas.

Replacing Barnes with someone like Kuzma/Grant (which could cost one pick) or something could go a loooong way IMO. I'd first look to secure Monk though
HartfordWhalers

Post#189 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 pm

giberish wrote:

It's not just a GS collapse that could make Sacramento look good by comparison, it's the entire Pacific division. This year GS won 46 games and were last in the division. I could easily see the Kings winning 46 games 3 years from now and win the division by 10+ games. The entire rest of the division is built to win right now and not for much longer.

Of course OKC, SA and others would outclass them in the playoffs but being a solid playoff team may not be that difficult.

Yeah, I think that puts it better than I did and is much more positive sounding. But I don't see any conference finals popping out of that, just maybe a 2nd rounder? I come back, draft raw, and hope that you go from a 48 win team to a team with suddenly a Giannis or a SGA popping out of a mid pick. Because reaching that next gear probably requires just a lucky pick or a full restart that is more painful than beneficial for now.

I would feel around Wiggins if there was a deal that had a good risk reward, same with John Collins type buy low.

But what about ...
Barnes Huerter Lyles (#13) for Beal (and ?) waiving his no trade clause?

Phx gets all the role players they need at once, and Beal was a bad fit.
Sac goes Fox/Beal/ Murray / Sabonis ... hopefully Monk, and idk, bargain bin fishes on someone like Saric or etc ?

I know it does 0 for the defense. But there always has been outscoring teams.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#190 » by OxAndFox » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:46 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

I agree with this as an overall perspective. I believe this season would have been a good opportunity to make a semi run. OKC is in the first year there and will definitely be a top seed for the forseeable future. Getting past them wouldn't have surprised, as with the following round.

What I see many doing is trying to rely on GSW/LAL/LAC/PHX getting old. But there is still SAS/Hou that will be knocking on hte door as early as next season and then you have the teams that have a lot of talent and a HAUL of picks in OKC/NOP and the teams that are going to be at the top for a few more years yet in Den/TWolves.
The Kings need a #1, but with the salary structure it's going to be difficult to fit that in unless one of the top 2 guys are going out.
Jkam31
Head Coach

Post#191 » by Jkam31 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 pm

jayjaysee wrote:This is a realgm idea, not a very real one.. But

I know that’s not Keegan when you say Murray
HartfordWhalers

Post#192 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 am

Jkam31 wrote:

You think Keegan would be untouchable for KD? or just that 13 is a fair offer? Trying to decide how bad this take is.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,350

Post#193 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:31 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
But what about ...

Sac goes Fox/Beal/ Murray / Sabonis ... hopefully Monk, and idk, bargain bin fishes on someone like Saric or etc ?

That trade is closer without #13.
HartfordWhalers

Post#194 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
But what about ...

That trade is closer without #13.

Well offering less is easy !
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,635

Post#195 » by NYG » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 am

Portland Trail Blazers get:
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte
19th Overall Draft Pick

Sacramento Kings get:
Jerami Grant
Kris Murray
Duop Reath
34th Overall Draft Pick

Toronto Raptors get:
Kevin Huerter
13th Overall Draft Pick
HartfordWhalers

Post#196 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 am

NYG wrote:Portland Trail Blazers get:
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte
19th Overall Draft Pick

Sacramento Kings get:
Jerami Grant
Kris Murray
Duop Reath
34th Overall Draft Pick

Toronto Raptors get:
Kevin Huerter
13th Overall Draft Pick

If I'm Portland I'm looking for 13 not 19 and change.
Jkam31
Head Coach

Post#197 » by Jkam31 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

You think Keegan would be untouchable for KD? or just that 13 is a fair offer? Trying to decide how bad this take is.

Zero chance Keegan is traded for KD maybe 3 years ago you don’t give a promising two way player for an aging vet
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#198 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:12 am

Jkam31 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

Zero chance Keegan is traded for KD maybe 3 years ago you don’t give a promising two way player for an aging vet

I think think he's on the table for KD. Depends on how much Monte wants to progress instantly. I think it would be better for both if it were Sabonis/Lyles/Davion for KD/Nurkic as the premise. I know Kings fans would probably hate it, but just spitballing here and that can be changed quite a bit.
That way Phoenix can run majority of the offense through Sabonis and not just rely on Booker for playmaking with Booker, Beal, Allen working off DHO and etc.

Sacramento goes in with KD as a true #1, Fox as #2, Monk as #3A, Keegan as #3B with Ellis/Monk/Barnes/Huerter
HartfordWhalers

Post#199 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:22 am

Jkam31 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

Aging vet as a the description of KD makes it seem like you aren't really serious as a poster.

But taking you serious, then shouldn't Sac trade Sabonis and Fox asap while they have any value now? I mean if the team isn't even a KD away, best not to wait until those two have less value than KD.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 829

Post#200 » by tester551 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:29 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
NYG wrote:Portland Trail Blazers get:
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte
19th Overall Draft Pick

Sacramento Kings get:
Jerami Grant
Kris Murray
Duop Reath
34th Overall Draft Pick

Toronto Raptors get:
Kevin Huerter
13th Overall Draft Pick

If I'm Portland I'm looking for 13 not 19 and change.

Yeah... not close IMO.

I'm not sure why Toronto is even involved here

Return to Trades and Transactions