Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value.

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,613

Re: Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value. 

Post#81 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:02 pm

louc1970 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
DowJones wrote:Mobley's value is about what I see around here. Some trades are too extreme one way or the other but the value itself seems right.

I just don't see a Mobley trade anywhere that makes sense for the Cavs and the other team. Mobley for Bridges is not a deal I would do if I am Cleveland and I am unsure if the Nets would even be interested. Mobley for Ingram isn't right for Cleveland and I don't think the Pelicans would do Mobley/filler for Ingram and Murphy. OKC is not going to put Williams into a trade offer for Mobley and that is what the Cavs would ask for. The Cavs aren't going to want draft picks for Mobley.

On paper I think a larger trade of Mobley/Garland for Booker might make sense. Phoenix has a more well-rounded roster and Mitchell extends in Cleveland with Booker as his running mate. There is a 0% chance Gilbert and Ishbia work together on something this big.

I suspect even the idea of trading Mobley ended last night as far as the Cavs F.O. is concerned.

I don't think the Cleveland FO ever has considered it. That is what us fans do.
That being said, how do the Cavs improve moving forward? The move is either resign Mitchell and trade Garland or trade Mitchell.
This playoff is showing the difference in their games. Both need the ball to be effective - either as scorers or distributors.

Teams that could use either as starting guard:
Magic - Garland for M. Wagner (heck for both of them). Is having a SF better for the Magic or to have a PG who can set everyone up and play through Banchero?
Heat - Garland for Herro/filler and picks. garland can run the offense, allowing Rozier to come off the bench, Herro gives Cleveland better shooting from 3.
Nets - Garland for Bridges/Sharpe but that really means Nets are in full rebuild. Garland being young gives them more time.
Raptors - but they have nothing to trade.
Wizards - Garland for Kuzma/Bagely. Cleveland gets back ups at both big positions which seems a need since Allen/Mobley play/sit hurt often. Value not the same but solves a problem for each team.
Pistons - Garland for Duren/Fournier. Pistons move Cunningham to the 2 and they have a backcourt for the future.
Nuggets - Garland for KPJ. Cavs get the SF they have been trying to get while the Nuggets move Murray to the 2 and reduce the injury risks for Porter.
Pelicans - Garland for Ingram, same result as with F. Wagner. Gets the Cavs the SF and returns the Pelicans a PG.
Spurs - Garland for role players and picks.
The other teams really have nothing else to offer that would be valuable.

Well one way for the Cavs to improve moving forward is to allow Mobley (22) and Garland (24l to continue to develop and not downgrade in talent due to perceived fit issues.

We'll see what happens whether and when Porzingis and Allen get back, but part of bet the Cavs made when deciding on this core, is that the matchup problems those 4 would present to the opponents would outweigh the matchup problems the opponent would give them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 185

Post#82 » by louc1970 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I suspect even the idea of trading Mobley ended last night as far as the Cavs F.O. is concerned.

I don't think the Cleveland FO ever has considered it. That is what us fans do.
That being said, how do the Cavs improve moving forward? The move is either resign Mitchell and trade Garland or trade Mitchell.
This playoff is showing the difference in their games. Both need the ball to be effective - either as scorers or distributors.

Magic - Garland for M. Wagner (heck for both of them). Is having a SF better for the Magic or to have a PG who can set everyone up and play through Banchero?
Heat - Garland for Herro/filler and picks. garland can run the offense, allowing Rozier to come off the bench, Herro gives Cleveland better shooting from 3.
Nets - Garland for Bridges/Sharpe but that really means Nets are in full rebuild. Garland being young gives them more time.
Wizards - Garland for Kuzma/Bagely. Cleveland gets back ups at both big positions which seems a need since Allen/Mobley play/sit hurt often. Value not the same but solves a problem for each team.
Pistons - Garland for Duren/Fournier. Pistons move Cunningham to the 2 and they have a backcourt for the future.
Nuggets - Garland for KPJ. Cavs get the SF they have been trying to get while the Nuggets move Murray to the 2 and reduce the injury risks for Porter.
Pelicans - Garland for Ingram, same result as with F. Wagner. Gets the Cavs the SF and returns the Pelicans a PG.

Well one way for the Cavs to improve moving forward is to allow Mobley (22) and Garland (24l to continue to develop and not downgrade in talent due to perceived fit issues.

We'll see what happens whether and when Porzingis and Allen get back, but part of bet the Cavs made when deciding on this core, is that the matchup problems those 4 would present to the opponents would outweigh the matchup problems the opponent would give them.

Yet with Allen being the only 1 of the 4 out, you cannot say you are happy with the way 2 of the 4 have played to date in the playoffs. Mitchell is the only player that has turned the level up to 11. garland appears to be complacent with watching Mitchell work.
They can keep these 4 together and in 3 - 5 years hope it worked out. Or they can take a realistic look at what can improve the team and shoot for the stars. I am impatient and want to win today.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:14 pm

louc1970 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
louc1970 wrote:I don't think the Cleveland FO ever has considered it. That is what us fans do.

Yet with Allen being the only 1 of the 4 out, you cannot say you are happy with the way 2 of the 4 have played to date in the playoffs. Mitchell is the only player that has turned the level up to 11. garland appears to be complacent with watching Mitchell work.
They can keep these 4 together and in 3 - 5 years hope it worked out. Or they can take a realistic look at what can improve the team and shoot for the stars. I am impatient and want to win today.

I'm quite happy actually.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,860

Post#84 » by DowJones » Fri May 10, 2024 5:58 pm

louc1970 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
louc1970 wrote:I don't think the Cleveland FO ever has considered it. That is what us fans do.

I have been severely disappointed in Garland and a little disappointed in Mobley. Garland has been a jag in these playoffs. I don't think the trade value will be there for Garland this summer, so you have to hold on to him, even if Mitchell sticks around. I think Darius has tons of offensive talent, but he might need a new voice to come in and demand more from him. I think Mobley has too much upside to trade.

I have never been a fan of the Mobley/Allen pairing, but at this point I expect the Cavs to run it back for a 4th year and hope it works. I just want to have a proper 4 out offense with Mobley running around, setting screens, rolling to the hoop, catching lobs, and operating with maximum space. I think this would also unlock his passing ability, which is really good for a 5. This would require the Cavs to see what they can get for Allen. If they can't get a good fit at the 3/4 then ok, but they should look to make a move.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:22 pm

DowJones wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I have been severely disappointed in Garland and a little disappointed in Mobley. Garland has been a jag in these playoffs. I don't think the trade value will be there for Garland this summer, so you have to hold on to him, even if Mitchell sticks around. I think Darius has tons of offensive talent, but he might need a new voice to come in and demand more from him. I think Mobley has too much upside to trade.

I have never been a fan of the Mobley/Allen pairing, but at this point I expect the Cavs to run it back for a 4th year and hope it works. I just want to have a proper 4 out offense with Mobley running around, setting screens, rolling to the hoop, catching lobs, and operating with maximum space. I think this would also unlock his passing ability, which is really good for a 5. This would require the Cavs to see what they can get for Allen. If they can't get a good fit at the 3/4 then ok, but they should look to make a move.

We don't win those first 2 games without Allen. There's a lot I like about how Garland has responded to Mitchell's usage in the playoffs and a lot I like about how Garland's presence impacts how Mitchell is defended when Garland is on the floor with him. There's a lot I hate about who JB puts on the floor with Garland when Mitchell rests.

If the Pelicans make Murphy available, I'll re-evaluate trading Allen or Garland. If not, I'm running it back even if we lose this series (with a new coach).
cbosh4mvp wrote:
louc1970
Senior
And1: 185

Post#86 » by louc1970 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:09 pm

DowJones wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Garland’s issue is he knows this team will only go as far as Mitchell can take them. Garland is deferring which takes away his aggressiveness.
He needs to take a page from LeVert and just go play hard.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:11 pm

louc1970 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
louc1970 wrote:Yet with Allen being the only 1 of the 4 out, you cannot say you are happy with the way 2 of the 4 have played to date in the playoffs. Mitchell is the only player that has turned the level up to 11. garland appears to be complacent with watching Mitchell work.

Garland’s issue is he knows this team will only go as far as Mitchell can take them. Garland is deferring which takes away his aggressiveness.
He needs to take a page from LeVert and just go play hard.

Garland had 7 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, and went 4/5 from 3 last game. Levert got 7 more points than Garland on 9 more shots. Garland is playing plenty hard, he's just not demanding the ball, and if JB stops putting him in those point-shaving Niang/Morris lineups, he'll get his when Mitchell rests or the Celtics trap Mitchell.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#88 » by Euphonetiks » Sat May 11, 2024 4:48 pm

jbk1234 wrote:If the Pelicans make Murphy available, I'll re-evaluate trading Allen or Garland. If not, I'm running it back even if we lose this series (with a new coach).

That’s not going to happen. Pels value Murphy over Allen and Garland. Trey is a perfect fit with Zion and has upside left to hit. I think if Mitchell re-ups in Cleveland, y’all run it back. If not, I think Allen is on the move, but not for Trey.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:57 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If the Pelicans make Murphy available, I'll re-evaluate trading Allen or Garland. If not, I'm running it back even if we lose this series (with a new coach).

That’s not going to happen. Pels value Murphy over Allen and Garland. Trey is a perfect fit with Zion and has upside left to hit. I think if Mitchell re-ups in Cleveland, y’all run it back. If not, I think Allen is on the move, but not for Trey.

Assuming, for the sake of discussion, that Allen is on the move it will likely be to OKC if Murphy isn't available.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,148

Post#90 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:37 pm

"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#91 » by mcfly1204 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:31 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/blockbuster_trade_proposal_sends_jazzs_lauri_markkanen_back_to_cavs/s1_17038_40344496

That is the silliest trade I've seen in awhile, Mobley, Okoro, and Cleveland's 2024 1st for Lauri. Nice plant, Danny...
Well at least we're not Detroit!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,584

Post#92 » by eyriq » Sat May 11, 2024 6:43 pm

A lot. Don't trade him.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,432

Post#93 » by Mr Loggins » Sat May 11, 2024 7:04 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/blockbuster_trade_proposal_sends_jazzs_lauri_markkanen_back_to_cavs/s1_17038_40344496

That is the silliest trade I've seen in awhile, Mobley, Okoro, and Cleveland's 2024 1st for Lauri. Nice plant, Danny...

exactly. Have fun paying Lauri 40 million a year
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,149

Post#94 » by axeman23 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:14 am

Pick/s would be going the OTHER way in that Utah proposal...

Return to Trades and Transactions