Dallas - Portland - Brooklyn

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,595

Re: Dallas - Portland - Brooklyn 

Post#21 » by mademan » Fri May 10, 2024 4:03 pm

eh. I think Dallas could probably get a DFS level player at the deadline for THJ's expiring and Toronto's early 2nd. Throwing another 1st into the mix for an aging vet with their lack of assets doesnt seem smart
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,505

Post#22 » by Godaddycurse » Fri May 10, 2024 4:36 pm

mademan wrote:eh. I think Dallas could probably get a DFS level player at the deadline for THJ's expiring and Toronto's early 2nd. Throwing another 1st into the mix for an aging vet with their lack of assets doesnt seem smart

i think having DFS at the start of the year gives them another 1-2 wins over THJ and those 1-2 wins means a big difference in seeding. Toronto might be around play in position come deadline too so that 2nd might not be worth as much
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#23 » by JKiddy » Fri May 10, 2024 4:55 pm

DFS likely will be traded this off-season. A few teams that can contend would use him as he is tailor made for them and that is why he is likely going to fetch and 1st and a 2nd / throw in player.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,312

Post#24 » by realEAST » Fri May 10, 2024 10:43 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'm cool with the OP for all involved. I get people always want top value for their players, but not sure one year of an injury-prone Brogdon is worth more - -again very much just my opinion, not telling you how to value him. And I really have always doubted the crazy rumored valuations of DFS even though I very much stan him.

Brooklyn balances and gets a pick. Portland combines stuff to get the best asset possible which is where they should be and Dallas adds a friend of Luka who fits everything they want to do. Even if Jones comes back, there are plenty of minutes for DFS.

If Dallas could get Brogdon or DFS for Hardaway and those three 2nds, I would think about trying for Caruso with 2025 1st + Prosper (Powell and for salary purposes)
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,628

Post#25 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri May 10, 2024 11:57 pm

No interest in this for Brooklyn.

It doesn’t bring us closer to our goals. It only brings us closer to the repeater tax and limits flexibility.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#26 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 12:11 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:No interest in this for Brooklyn.

It doesn’t bring us closer to our goals. It only brings us closer to the repeater tax and limits flexibility.

You are really far from the tax, what do you mean?
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#27 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat May 11, 2024 12:32 am

Godaddycurse wrote:

I was factoring in Claxton at about $25 mill per, bringing Brooklyn to $158 mill committed to 11 roster spots.

This trade bumps them up to $163 mill committed to 10 roster spots.

Repeater tax is $172 mill.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,617

Post#28 » by Myth » Sat May 11, 2024 12:32 am

Godaddycurse wrote:

But it would be technically closer ;)
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#29 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 11, 2024 12:49 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

I was factoring in Claxton at about $25 mill per, bringing Brooklyn to $158 mill committed to 11 roster spots.

Right, you would still be below the tax w/ 4 vet min contracts
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#30 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat May 11, 2024 12:50 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Right, you would still be below the tax w/ 4 vet min contracts

5 open roster spots. $9 mill below the repeater tax.

It just isn’t realistic. No team is putting themselves in that situation for Malcolm Brogdan.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,595

Post#31 » by mademan » Sat May 11, 2024 6:40 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
mademan wrote:eh. I think Dallas could probably get a DFS level player at the deadline for THJ's expiring and Toronto's early 2nd. Throwing another 1st into the mix for an aging vet with their lack of assets doesnt seem smart

i think having DFS at the start of the year gives them another 1-2 wins over THJ and those 1-2 wins means a big difference in seeding. Toronto might be around play in position come deadline too so that 2nd might not be worth as much

I know there exist some DFS truthers here (looking at you Chuck), but man, the dudes numbers across the board indicate he's a negative player, and you cant get value based off of his rep from 2 years ago as he was a negative player last year too. He fits better with Dallas and there's history with Luka, but i just dont see how he's worth more than THJ/2nd rounder.

Doesnt mean BRK has to trade him, but if they dont, he's probably gonna continue to play just as poorly without a grade A playmaker coming off the bench behind Bridges/Cam. If they could get a 1st for him at this deadline, even a bad one, they would have, imo. His value is far closer to Royce than the fans here would like to admit.
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#32 » by JKiddy » Sat May 11, 2024 10:30 pm

The Nets likely deal him to a team like DAL which has the need for a player of his exact archetype to win a few more playoff games when it matters. That means it would likely be a 1st round pick at the end. It is much closer to a 2nd rounder than we thought. So a 1st round pick that is 16-25 is likely where it will fall. Is that good? Eh. It is okay. DFS is a great role player who brings positive value like you said in his insane motor, great D, key rebounds, and great 3 PT% when it counts. He is a level above Royce for sure.

Return to Trades and Transactions