ATL/Utah/OKC

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,553

ATL/Utah/OKC 

Post#1 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun May 12, 2024 8:59 pm

Atlanta sends Murray and Capela to Utah.

Utah sends Sexton, #10 and 2027 1st to Atlanta.
Utah sends Clarkson, 2027 LAL pick to OKC and removes their protections on their 2025 FRP and makes it the most favorable of their three picks, CLE/Utah/MIN.

OKC does OKC things and sells cap space for picks.

Why for Atlanta? They draft Clingan at #1 to replace Capela. They add a potential quality role player at #10. They solve their Trae/Murray problem and get a big exception to potentially add a player later. Sexton can play on or off the ball which allows him to play with Trae without conflict.

Why for Utah? They get two almost star players to add to Lauri. Giving them the impression of being a playoff team. They still have enough assets, and John Collins' salary, to add another almost star player if one becomes available.

Why for OKC? They love selling cap space for picks and Clarkson is an expiring so they don't add long-term salary. They add to their war chest if a move presents itself for a star player they want to acquire. Spoiler alert: OKC has no interest in any significant FA or star player that could be traded because they just want to keep adding youth and talking about internal development. They will never make a big win now move while Presti is running the show.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,756

Re: ATL/Utah/OKC 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 12, 2024 9:01 pm

Really bad for Utah. We are sending multiple firsts for Murray, dumping Clarkson, and to eat Capelas contract? We hang up the phone and block Atlanta long term.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#3 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 12, 2024 9:02 pm

Also, we send Sexton who has been a solid player?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,685

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 9:04 pm

I’m confused what OKC and Utah get or why OKC is here? But I’m guessing OKC gets cut out.

Atlanta wouldn’t give up any value to avoid getting Clakrson though. He’s on a two year MLE level deal at this point, he’s not as good as some thought but he’s fine value for his money.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#5 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 12, 2024 9:07 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I’m confused what OKC and Utah get or why OKC is here? But I’m guessing OKC gets cut out.

Atlanta wouldn’t give up any value to avoid getting Clakrson though. He’s on a two year MLE level deal at this point, he’s not as good as some thought but he’s fine value for his money.

It’s a steal picks trade. Utah is not going to contract dump Clarkson.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#6 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 9:10 pm

AingesBurner wrote:Really bad for Utah. We are sending multiple firsts for Murray, dumping Clarkson, and to eat Capelas contract? We hang up the phone and block Atlanta long term.

Atlanta’s part of the deal is fine value? Two firsts and a good player. Maybe you could push for it to be Clarkson instead of Sexton, but then NOP or someone might top it. Add another first to make it Clarkson? Utah can still create 16-20 mil in cap space for Lauri, which should be plenty.

OKC is what makes it terrible for Utah..
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#7 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 12, 2024 9:12 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:Really bad for Utah. We are sending multiple firsts for Murray, dumping Clarkson, and to eat Capelas contract? We hang up the phone and block Atlanta long term.

Atlanta’s part of the deal is fine value? Two firsts and a good player. Maybe you could push for it to be Clarkson instead of Sexton, but then NOP or someone might top it. Add another first to make it Clarkson? Utah can still create 16-20 mil in cap space for Lauri, which should be plenty.

OKC is what makes it terrible for Utah..

You are correct but eating Capelas contract should only constitute sending out two picks and a player such as Sexton. Send value to get value. The OKC part is armed robbery. We could probably get a 2nd for Clarkson while getting a less valuable player on an expiring.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,628

Post#8 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun May 12, 2024 9:14 pm

It’s too early for Utah to be making a move like this.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 9:17 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:It’s too early for Utah to be making a move like this.

Only if they are ever going to rebuild.

There’s no reason to just finish 8th-10th for years in a row and hope to pick the right prospect.

Murray/George/Lauri/Hendricks/Kessler

Is probably a play-in team. But it’s also one star away from a contender. And Ainge has the quantity offer to get a star when one comes up.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 12, 2024 9:19 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

There’s no reason to just finish 8th-10th for years in a row and hope to pick the right prospect.

Is probably a play-in team. But it’s also one star away from a contender. And Ainge has the quantity offer to get a star when one comes up.

We would probably offer Kessler/Hendricks or both in a star trade. If did get Murray then you really have to pursue Giannis because a Murray/Markkanen/Giannis with insert here players is similar to the Bucks championship team.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,628

Post#11 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun May 12, 2024 9:20 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

That’s fair but if I were them I would wait out my obligation to OKC.

Save their assets for when a real star becomes available.

They definitely should tear it down a little this off season and ship off any contributor not named Lauri.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 9:30 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

We would probably offer Kessler/Hendricks or both in a star trade. If did get Murray then you really have to pursue Giannis because a Murray/Markkanen/Giannis with insert here players is similar to the Bucks championship team.

Yeah, I just meant that should be the starting lineup until a star is available… Whichever prospect is needed at that point, go ahead obviously. No more starting Collins just because he makes so much. Kessler/Hendricks should be starting next season..
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#13 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 9:33 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

That’s fair but if I were them I would wait out my obligation to OKC.

Save their assets for when a real star becomes available.

They definitely should tear it down a little this off season and ship off any contributor not named Lauri.

Yeah, it’s probably hard to lock up Lauri and tank. But that would be a great 2024-2025 for them. The renegotiation will probably be enough to buy them a year, so maybe we see Lauri only play 35-40 games next year.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#14 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 12, 2024 9:37 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Yeah, I just meant that should be the starting lineup until a star is available… Whichever prospect is needed at that point, go ahead obviously. No more starting Collins just because he makes so much. Kessler/Hendricks should be starting next season..

100%
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,454

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:15 am

jayjaysee wrote:

I doubt it is a play-in team. Murray is fine but he isn't turning a 31 win team into a 46 win team.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions