Dejounte Revisited

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Re: Dejounte Revisited 

Post#21 » by tcheco » Mon May 13, 2024 4:09 am

Wolveswin wrote:Murray + #1

FOR

Johnson + #8

How many Hawks owed picks can Atlanta get in that deal?

This would be amazing for Spurs. Murray to lead the win-now team, and picks #1 and #4 to build long-long term juggernaut around Wemby.

Wemby
Sarr (#1)
Sochan
Vassell
Murray | (Topic? #4)

Don't see the Hawks landing the 1st pick to just trade away along their second best player to get their own picks back
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,303

Post#22 » by Dan Z » Mon May 13, 2024 6:22 am

NYG wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
NYG wrote:
I like the template... who are some guys available like Caruso besides Caruso himself?

Not sure why it wouldn’t be Caruso, I’d pay a big asking price to put him in between Trae and Ingram..

But if he is not available.. I’ll go Thybulle is very available.

Probably lets Atlanta get 21 and Portland clears their tax issues and settles for seconds..but I’ll go;

Thybulle, Ingram, 34 to Atlanta
Capela, Murray to NOP
Liddell and 21 to Portland

Portland tax problems go away and upgrade a draft prospect.

I just have the Bulls likely running it back (incorrectly so) in real life.

The Thybulle version is threadworthy... is there a future 1st NOP could trade instead? The Blazers have a lot of picks in this draft

I think you're right about the Bulls running it back and could see them keeping Caruso until his contract expires (either re-signing him or letting him walk). However, I think they should move in a new direction and trading Caruso makes sense.

He also makes sense on Atlanta, but if I'm the Bulls GM I'd ask for something else. Maybe the Sacramento pick and AJ Griffin? I'm not sure what would be needed to make the salaries work out.
Donkedave
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#23 » by Donkedave » Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 am

jayjaysee wrote:
NYG wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Top 14 protected for 3 years more likely IMO.

I don’t have the gap between Ingram and Murray very wide at all.

Hawks get:
Brandon Ingram
Matisse Thybulle

Pelicans get:
Dejounte Murray
Clint Capela

Trail Blazers get:
E.J. Liddell
2025 Top 20 Protected New Orleans Pelicans First Round Draft Pick (2026 - Lottery Protected / 2027 - Lottery Protected or becomes 2030 and 2031 2nds)

???

Something like that. I’d rather it with Caruso. And think Portland owes 34 to Atlanta. Thybulle isn’t worth a first.

Atlanta should only do it if Ingram is resigning. Someone else pointed out the CBA allows 20% jumps in extend-and-trades now. Ingram could take a 4yr170ish contract. But even if he just agrees to add 2 years.

Can’t trade a good contract for an expiring one when the talent is so comparable IMO.

Wonder where they seen that?

This is from the new CBA

4) The following rules apply to Extensions entered into in
connection with a trade pursuant to Section 8(e)(2) below:
(i) For each Salary Cap Year covered by an Extension after the
first Salary Cap Year covered by the extended term, the
player’s: (A) Salary, excluding Incentive Compensation, may
increase or decrease in relation to the previous Salary Cap
Year’s Salary, excluding Incentive Compensation, by no
more than five percent (5%) of the Salary for the first Salary
Cap Year covered by the extended term of the Contract; and
(B) Regular Salary may increase or decrease in relation to the
previous Salary Cap Year’s Regular Salary by no more than
five percent (5%) of the Regular Salary for the first Salary
Cap Year covered by the Contract.
(ii) In the event that the first Salary Cap Year covered by the
extended term of a Contract provides for Incentive
Compensation, the amount of each bonus included in the
first Salary Cap Year of the extended term may increase or
decrease in each subsequent Salary Cap Year by up to five
percent (5%) of the amount of such bonus in the first Salary
Cap Year of the extended term.
2024 draft Bulls select who?
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,616

Post#24 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 8:44 am

tcheco wrote:

FOR

Johnson + #8

This would be amazing for Spurs. Murray to lead the win-now team, and picks #1 and #4 to build long-long term juggernaut around Wemby.

Wemby
Sarr (#1)
Sochan
Vassell
Murray | (Topic? #4)

Don't see the Hawks landing the 1st pick to just trade away along their second best player to get their own picks back

Why? Perfect draft and lotto outcome to do just that. No Wemby to be had at #1. Playing with house money after moving up from #10 to #1.

Franchise changer landing #1 doesn’t mean drafting #1 for Hawks.

In my scenario they still win now trading Murray for Johnson - who is nice age and fit next to Trae using a Murray trade to accomplish. Still drafting #8 (better spot than when they went into lotto night) AND get more draft capital.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#25 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 9:32 am

Trae for Towns swap should be put on the table. Wolves don’t ideally want Trae next to Edwards (fit and money) so enter Spurs…

To Spurs: Trae + Moore Jr

To Hawks: Towns + Johnson (or Vassell works too) + Spurs Draft Capital

To Wolves: #1 + Capela + Jones

Wolves solve money crunch and exciting outcome getting #1 overall for Towns (yes even in this draft). Being Sarr or Risacher to backfill and be longterm fit with McDaniels.

Hawks move one of their guards (Trae) and improve their draft capital. Draft capital from Spurs could be #4 or #8, all own picks back, really in combination they prefer in such a trade.

Okongwu | Towns
Towns | JJ or Hunter
JJ | Hunter (could be dumped on Spurs if priority)
Johnson or Vassell | BB
Murray | #4 or #8
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,683

Post#26 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 10:05 am

Donkedave wrote:, the amount of each bonus included in the
first Salary Cap Year of the extended term may increase or.

Edit: I didn’t read…

But that almost reads as it’s the first year of the extension. Not the first year of the contract?

So 120% raise and then 5% raises.

But maybe I’m reading that wrong. We’ve had varying opinions here
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 534

Post#27 » by raleigh » Mon May 13, 2024 11:14 am

This thread is bizarre and, more importantly, WAY overthinking things.

The Hawks will trade Murray and Capela for players that can help them on the wing and maybe a future pick.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,888

Post#28 » by mcfly1204 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:25 am

FOR

Johnson + #8

Wemby
Sarr (#1)
Sochan
Vassell
Murray | (Topic? #4)

Wait, what? The Hawks are giving up the better player and the #1 overall pick?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#29 » by Euphonetiks » Mon May 13, 2024 12:33 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Donkedave wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Something like that. I’d rather it with Caruso. And think Portland owes 34 to Atlanta. Thybulle isn’t worth a first.

Atlanta should only do it if Ingram is resigning. Someone else pointed out the CBA allows 20% jumps in extend-and-trades now. Ingram could take a 4yr170ish contract. But even if he just agrees to add 2 years.

Can’t trade a good contract for an expiring one when the talent is so comparable IMO.

This is from the new CBA

Sort of a weird way of responding to someone giving credit to you. But yeah

I think they were saying that is not the case. Anyhow, I am the one who pointed out in other threads that under the new CBA rules for extensions that go into effect this offseason, Ingram can get a full max salary in an extend-and-trade for those concerned about the expiring contract. not to say he will absolutely only take that, but just mentioning that there is an easy way for whatever team trades for him to not take on the risk of an expiring.

Art. VIII, Sec. 8(e)(2):
(2) A player and his Team may amend a Player Contract (including by entering into an Extension but not by entering into a Renegotiation) pursuant to an agreement between such Team and another Team concerning the signing of the amendment and subsequent trade of the amended Contract; provided, however, that: (i) no such agreement may be made during the period from the last day of the last Regular Season covered by the Contract (or the last day of any Regular Season that could be the last Regular Season covered by the Contract based upon the exercise or non-exercise of an Option or ETO) through the following June 30; (ii) no such Extension entered into pursuant to this Section 8(e)(2) prior to the first day of the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year may cover more than three (3) Seasons from the date the Extension is signed; and (iii) no such Extension entered into pursuant to this Section 8(e)(2) on or after the first day of the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year may cover more than four (4) Seasons from the date the Extension is signed. The Salary and Unlikely Bonuses that may be provided in the first year of the extended term and annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 7(a)(3)(iii) and Section 5(a)(4) above.

Art. VIII, Sec. 7(a)(3)(iii)(B):
If such Extension is signed on or after the first day of the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year, then the Extension may, in the first Salary Cap Year covered by the extended term, provide for a Salary, excluding Incentive Compensation, of up to the greater of: (A) one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the Regular Salary in the last Salary Cap Year covered by the original term of the Contract; or (B) one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the Estimated Average Player Salary for the Salary Cap Year in which the Extension is signed (or, if the Extension provides for any Incentive Compensation in the first Salary Cap Article VII 253 Year covered by the extended term, then one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the Estimated Average Player Salary for such Salary Cap Year less the amount of such Incentive Compensation). In the event that the last Salary Cap Year covered by the original term of the Contract provides for Incentive Compensation, the first Salary Cap Year covered by the extended term may provide for Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses of up to one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses, respectively, in the last Salary Cap Year covered by the original term. Annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 5(a)(4) above.
tcheco
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by tcheco » Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
tcheco wrote:

FOR

Johnson + #8

Wemby
Sarr (#1)
Sochan
Vassell
Murray | (Topic? #4)

Why? Perfect draft and lotto outcome to do just that. No Wemby to be had at #1. Playing with house money after moving up from #10 to #1.

In my scenario they still win now trading Murray for Johnson - who is nice age and fit next to Trae using a Murray trade to accomplish. Still drafting #8 (better spot than when they went into lotto night) AND get more draft capital.

I disagree. Sure this draft is not viewed as one of a time, but the difference from pick 1 and 8 exists.

Johnson is a terrible fit for the Hawks too, zero defense, terrible at everything except scoring(which is also average).

Seems like there's better trades for Murray to land a much better player for the Hawks that alows them to compete. I don't think they can tank even if they get Johnson for Murray either way.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#31 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 1:18 pm

tcheco wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
tcheco wrote:

I disagree. Sure this draft is not viewed as one of a time, but the difference from pick 1 and 8 exists.

Johnson is a terrible fit for the Hawks too, zero defense, terrible at everything except scoring(which is also average).

Seems like there's better trades for Murray to land a much better player for the Hawks that alows them to compete. I don't think they can tank even if they get Johnson for Murray either way.

Then we will disagree. I like Johnson more than you, and I like Hawks getting control of their future again.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#32 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 1:20 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:

FOR

Johnson + #8

Wemby
Sarr (#1)
Sochan
Vassell
Murray | (Topic? #4)

You may want to read it again. I bolded so you don’t miss it again.
tcheco
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by tcheco » Mon May 13, 2024 1:30 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
tcheco wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Why? Perfect draft and lotto outcome to do just that. No Wemby to be had at #1. Playing with house money after moving up from #10 to #1.

Then we will disagree. I like Johnson more than you, and I like Hawks getting control of their future again.

And that's fine.

I hope Johnson proves me wrong, but I was so disappointed in him. I get that controlling it's future is important, but if Hawks will keep Trae, they should not trade Murray for picks. IF they decide to trade Young, then I'm all for it getting those picks back
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Post#34 » by BoogieTime » Mon May 13, 2024 1:36 pm

tcheco wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
tcheco wrote:

And that's fine.

I hope Johnson proves me wrong, but I was so disappointed in him. I get that controlling it's future is important, but if Hawks will keep Trae, they should not trade Murray for picks. IF they decide to trade Young, then I'm all for it getting those picks back

Wolveswin original trade made no sense to me. Murray has more value than Johnson in the first place
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#35 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 1:39 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
tcheco wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Then we will disagree. I like Johnson more than you, and I like Hawks getting control of their future again.

And that's fine.

Wolveswin original trade made no sense to me. Murray has more value than Johnson in the first place

Read the original post again. Main question is right below the trade itself.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,888

Post#36 » by mcfly1204 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:37 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:

FOR

Johnson + #8

Wemby
Sarr (#1)
Sochan
Vassell
Murray | (Topic? #4)

No, I got that, it's just such a bizarre premise. Johnson + #8 for Murray feels like it's in the ballpark, but then you're effectively asking what it would take for Atlanta to move the 1st overall pick, with a specific focus on reacquiring their own picks from SA? So to answer that question, all of them?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
lpbman
Starter
And1: 10

Post#37 » by lpbman » Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Pels:
Ingram and Nance for Ayton and Brogdon

Blazers: Thybulle, Brogdon, and Ayton for Ingram and Landale

Rockets: Brooks and Landale for Murray

Hawks: Murray for Thybulle and Brooks

Move 2024 picks around until everyone is happy.
For the Pels, Ingram went out on a down note, they're losing Valanciunas and they get a big man that won't clog Zion driving lanes. PG improvement. No long term commitments to anything. Can prob package three mid first rounders and move up if they want. Or they could try and hit with 3 role players and shed salary in future years
For Hou, they get someone better than Brooks and the back court always has two of FVV, Jalen Green, or Murray. Opens time at the 3 for Amen/Cam/Eason. Likely get 7th back from Portland.
For Atl: They build defense around Trae and likely another pick... prob 14 from the Blazers. Maybe 14 to Pels
For Blazers: Get out of cap hell and get the no 3 pick for 7 and 14

Not married to the pick movement, just an outline.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#38 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:Wait, what? The Hawks are giving up the better player and the #1 overall pick?

No, I got that, it's just such a bizarre premise. Johnson + #8 for Murray feels like it's in the ballpark, but then you're effectively asking what it would take for Atlanta to move the 1st overall pick, with a specific focus on reacquiring their own picks from SA? So to answer that question, all of them?

Correct. When Hawks are dealing with Spurs, they have unique opportunity because Spurs own Hawks future.

Imagine Hawks organization, going into lotto, if you said to them: “Instead of picking 10th, how is 8th, which will cost you Murray for Johnson swap - BUT - you get ALL your draft capital back from Spurs too?”
epfou1
Sophomore
And1: 193

Post#39 » by epfou1 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 pm

I see Hawks having zero interest in Spurs Keldon Johnson. The team desparately needs better defenders and would easily choose local boy Devin Vassell over Johnson in any negotiations with San Antonio. He can both score and defend.

I actually think it is starting be more likely that they keep Dejounte Murray and trade Trae Young instead. While Young is a better scorer, Murray is a much more complete player AND Hawks were far better defensively when Murray ran the team instead of Young.

If Spurs want to deal for Young as well as potential number 1 pick Alex Sarr, then Hawks could get a haul that includes all their picks back, #4 and #8 in the upcoming draft, as well as Devin Vassell. It will allow the team to properly rebuild.
Donkedave
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#40 » by Donkedave » Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Donkedave wrote:

This is from the new CBA

Sort of a weird way of responding to someone giving credit to you. But yeah

I think they were saying that is not the case. Anyhow, I am the one who pointed out in other threads that under the new CBA rules for extensions that go into effect this offseason, Ingram can get a full max salary in an extend-and-trade for those concerned about the expiring contract. not to say he will absolutely only take that, but just mentioning that there is an easy way for whatever team trades for him to not take on the risk of an expiring.

Art. VIII, Sec. 8(e)(2):
(2) A player and his Team may amend a Player Contract (including by entering into an Extension but not by entering into a Renegotiation) pursuant to an agreement between such Team and another Team concerning the signing of the amendment and subsequent trade of the amended Contract; provided, however, that: (i) no such agreement may be made during the period from the last day of the last Regular Season covered by the Contract (or the last day of any Regular Season that could be the last Regular Season covered by the Contract based upon the exercise or non-exercise of an Option or ETO) through the following June 30; (ii) no such Extension entered into pursuant to this Section 8(e)(2) prior to the first day of the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year may cover more than three (3) Seasons from the date the Extension is signed; and (iii) no such Extension entered into pursuant to this Section 8(e)(2) on or after the first day of the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year may cover more than four (4) Seasons from the date the Extension is signed. The Salary and Unlikely Bonuses that may be provided in the first year of the extended term and annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 7(a)(3)(iii) and Section 5(a)(4) above.

Art. VIII, Sec. 7(a)(3)(iii)(B):
If such Extension is signed on or after the first day of the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year, then the Extension may, in the first Salary Cap Year covered by the extended term, provide for a Salary, excluding Incentive Compensation, of up to the greater of: (A) one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the Regular Salary in the last Salary Cap Year covered by the original term of the Contract; or (B) one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the Estimated Average Player Salary for the Salary Cap Year in which the Extension is signed (or, if the Extension provides for any Incentive Compensation in the first Salary Cap Article VII 253 Year covered by the extended term, then one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the Estimated Average Player Salary for such Salary Cap Year less the amount of such Incentive Compensation). In the event that the last Salary Cap Year covered by the original term of the Contract provides for Incentive Compensation, the first Salary Cap Year covered by the extended term may provide for Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses of up to one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses, respectively, in the last Salary Cap Year covered by the original term. Annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 5(a)(4) above.

Cheers!
They make these so hard to follow

*EDIT
ok now I've read the full CBA regarding these rules!

Extensions for trade
If they sign extension prior to July 1st, they can only get 5% (105%)

After July 1st, they can extend at 20% (120%)
Not confusing at all right!!!!!!
Yes, quiet day at work, LOL

Notwithstanding Section 7(a)(3)(i) or (ii) above, for an
Extension entered into in connection with a trade pursuant
to Section 8(e)(2) below:
(A) If such Extension is signed prior to the first day of
the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year, then the Extension
may, in the first Salary Cap Year covered by the
extended term, provide for a Salary, excluding
Incentive Compensation, of up to one hundred five
percent (105%) of the Regular Salary in the last
Salary Cap Year covered by the original term of the
Contract. In the event that the last Salary Cap Year
covered by the original term of the Contract
provides for Incentive Compensation, the first
Salary Cap Year covered by the extended term may
provide for Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses of
up to one hundred five percent (105%) of the Likely
Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses, respectively, in the
last Salary Cap Year covered by the original term.
Annual increases and decreases in Salary and
Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by
Section 5(a)(4) above.

(B) If such Extension is signed on or after the first day
of the 2024-25 Salary Cap Year, then the Extension
may, in the first Salary Cap Year covered by the
extended term, provide for a Salary, excluding
Incentive Compensation, of up to the greater of:
(A) one hundred twenty percent (120%) of the
Regular Salary in the last Salary Cap Year covered by
the original term of the Contract; or (B) one hundred
twenty percent (120%) of the Estimated Average