Jaden Ivey for #8

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Does #8 for Jaden Ivey make sense?

Yes
14%
No
69%
Maybe
16%

Total votes: 49

R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,046

Re: Jaden Ivey for #8 

Post#21 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 13, 2024 1:22 pm

How about Jaden Ivey and #5 for #3 and a future, protected 1st

Detroit moves up in the draft to grab Reed Sheppard, who fits better with Cade and Thompson than Ivey. Plus adds a future 1st to the kitty.

Houston moves down 2 spots and trades a future, protected 1st to roll the dice on Ivey

I assume the protections would be something like top-10 in 2025 and 2026 turning into multiple 2nds - a pick that likely conveys in the mid teens
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,968

Post#22 » by MotownMadness » Mon May 13, 2024 1:24 pm

R-DAWG wrote:How about Jaden Ivey and #5 for #3 and a future, protected 1st

Detroit moves up in the draft to grab Reed Sheppard, who fits better with Cade and Thompson than Ivey. Plus adds a future 1st to the kitty.

Houston moves down 2 spots and trades a future, protected 1st to roll the dice on Ivey

I assume the protections would be something like top-10 in 2025 and 2026 turning into multiple 2nds - a pick that likely conveys in the mid teens

Moving 5 to 3 really holds no value to me so it would be if we're willing to move Ivey for a mid.

Probably not
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#23 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 13, 2024 1:27 pm

MotownMadness wrote:

Moving 5 to 3 really holds no value to me so it would be if we're willing to move Ivey for a mid.

Probably not

I think in some ways the Pistons falling out of the top slots is a blessings as it gives them the ability to draft for fit not upside. And I think Reed Sheppard fits this Pistons roster like a glove. He's undersized for a 2, but playing next to Cade offsets that. I also think breaking up Cade/Ivey/Thompson can have a similar effect to SAC breaking up Fox/Haliburton.

I see this is the kind of glue piece that elevates the entire team with solid not spectacular play. Note that this is coming from the point of view that Detroit has a lot more talent than their record indicates.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,968

Post#24 » by MotownMadness » Mon May 13, 2024 1:29 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Probably not

I think in some ways the Pistons falling out of the top slots is a blessings as it gives them the ability to draft for fit not upside. And I think Reed Sheppard fits this Pistons roster like a glove. He's undersized for a 2, but playing next to Cade offsets that. I also think breaking up Cade/Ivey/Thompson can have a similar effect to SAC breaking up Fox/Haliburton.

I see this is the kind of glue piece that elevates the entire team with solid not spectacular play. Note that this is coming from the point of view that Detroit has a lot more talent than their record indicates.

Yeah i like Reed as well but doubt we take a guard for the 4th straight year.

Probably one of Risacher or Buzelis
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#25 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 13, 2024 1:31 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Moving 5 to 3 really holds no value to me so it would be if we're willing to move Ivey for a mid.

Probably not

This is mid 2010's Orlando Magic 2.0. Draft a bunch of high ceiling, raw athletic guys and hope for the best.

In a normal draft, a guy would Sheppard would be a late lotto pick and you could likely flip Ivey for him.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,730

Post#26 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:40 pm

Spurs probably roll the dice and hope to draft a good player rather than trade their pick for a bust.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,903

Post#27 » by gswhoops » Mon May 13, 2024 2:35 pm

babyjax13 wrote:More interesting question may be which pick Ivey is worth.

Toronto at 19 is the highest pick I could see a team swapping for Ivey 1:1. Then maybe Bucks at 23 or NY at 24/25.
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Post#28 » by tcheco » Mon May 13, 2024 2:38 pm

I think ivey can be good one day, but he has not shown enough for the Spurs to be giving the 8th pick. Drafting BPA and having 4 years of rookie contract is much better for the Spurs considering they will be doing their best to setup a complete roster before having to pay Wemby.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#29 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 13, 2024 3:00 pm

gswhoops wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:More interesting question may be which pick Ivey is worth.

Toronto at 19 is the highest pick I could see a team swapping for Ivey 1:1. Then maybe Bucks at 23 or NY at 24/25.

As a Knick fan I'd swap one of our picks for Ivey. Ivey has more upside than anyone we are going to draft at this point in the draft, and his 2 years of NBA experience make him more ready to contribute.

Expanding on this- the Knicks need a guy who can put the ball on the floor and create offensive off the bench. The best version of Ivey fits that role and Duce McBride compliments him nicely.

I also think Ivey would benefit from a more defined limited role on a veteran team. The Knicks are starting to build a reputation as a place where players reach their full potential.

I'm not sure if Detroit will sell this low on Ivey, but if they do, he's a great buy low candidate IMO.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,455

Post#30 » by Billl » Mon May 13, 2024 3:02 pm

As a pistons fan, I would do it. Don't think the spurs would though.

Ivey is a tough player to value. He's got elite speed and gets to the lane with ease, so when his outside shot is falling, he can drop a bunch of points on you in a hurry. He's a good passer, but more in that combo guard mold vs true pg. It's pretty easy to see those things and say "well, if he just raising that 3% a bit, he'll be good". But defensively, I don't know. He's got the speed and athleticism , but he's just out of position and trailing his man so much of the time. Does that change with better coaching and team culture? Or is he just really bad at making reads? I don't think anyone is gambling the #8 pick on that even in a weak draft.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,903

Post#31 » by gswhoops » Mon May 13, 2024 3:28 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Moving 5 to 3 really holds no value to me so it would be if we're willing to move Ivey for a mid.

Probably not

I know it’s a reach at 5 but Knecht is such a good fit for what y’all need
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#32 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 13, 2024 4:35 pm

gswhoops wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

I know it’s a reach at 5 but Knecht is such a good fit for what y’all need

I agree re: Knecht and I wouldn't hesitate the use the 5th pick on him. The last thing the Pistons need, IMO, is another raw athlete who can't shoot.

In this draft where there is no sure fire franchise player, combined with the young talent on the Pistons roster, high floor/right fit makes sense. It could be a blessing in disguise that DET feel to #5
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,499

Post#33 » by Chinook » Tue May 14, 2024 2:01 am

If the Spurs go wing at 4 and their PG targets are gone at 8, a trade like this could make sense. I like Ivey still. But it question is how could the Pistons balance out the trade. They could take back Collins and Graham, opening up a pathway for the Spurs to get max cap space this summer. I don't know how either team would value that.

Return to Trades and Transactions