CJ's value?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

CJ's Value?

1-Clearly positive (gets buckets and a vet leader)
4%
2-A bit positive (solid player still, but declining)
22%
3-Neutral, good player but overpaid
30%
4-slightly negative (overall ok player but overpaid)
36%
5-Clearly negative (declining pay and big salary)
8%

Total votes: 50

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,409

CJ's value? 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Sat May 11, 2024 8:35 pm

Just wondering if it's positive or negative? Two years left, 33 million, then 30

Please vote
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,623

Re: CJ's value? 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:38 pm

I like him for Orlando if the Pels agree to take Anthony back. I suspect that, or a straight salary dump with a team like the Pistons is about as much as the Pelicans can hope for.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,611

Post#3 » by JRoy » Sat May 11, 2024 10:01 pm

Tobias Harris!
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,807

Post#4 » by jredsaz » Sun May 12, 2024 1:47 am

Always liked CJ. Depending on the team he has neutral to slightly positive value.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,913

Post#5 » by giberish » Sun May 12, 2024 2:07 am

I consider neutral value as someone who you'd trade for cap space straight up. (IMO it's really the only standard that makes sense as anything else involves the value on the other side).

By that standard CJ's slightly negative. I think it would be a (not that big) value win to trade him for cap space. More of a $20M guy than a $30M guy.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,588

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Sun May 12, 2024 2:18 am

they'll probably receive offers on the plus side of neutral, but probably not high enough for NOLA to consider them
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,409

Post#7 » by pipfan » Sun May 12, 2024 8:21 am

jbk1234 wrote:I like him for Orlando if the Pels agree to take Anthony back. I suspect that, or a straight salary dump with a team like the Pistons is about as much as the Pelicans can hope for.

That's why I'm asking-to see if anyone would swallow him to make a bigger deal work
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,838

Post#8 » by the_process » Sun May 12, 2024 12:33 pm

The Bulls might do LaVine, a 1st, and a swap for McCollum and Ingram? Maybe you could press them for another 1st instead of the swap?
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,627

Post#9 » by Mrakar » Sun May 12, 2024 2:52 pm

the_process wrote:The Bulls might do LaVine, a 1st, and a swap for McCollum and Ingram? Maybe you could press them for another 1st instead of the swap?

No1 is taking Lavine for free, let alone paying for him.

I think CJ has neutral to slightly negative value depending on the team. I'm really his hater. He played really good for Pelicans this season but deep down i always knew he will not show up when it matters, and ofc he didnt.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#10 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 3:05 pm

ORL could make a lot of sense, but that's a lot of salary to swallow...maybe:

ORL sends: Wendell Carter, Cole Anthony, ORL 26 frp, DEN 25 frp
NOLA sends: McCollum, Trey Murphy

Before you shell me, maybe Trey and Herb are more of the same thing than you need. WCJ is a very solid young C, on one of the best team-friendly deals, can spread the floor, switch on defense and, imo, complement Zion very well. CJ's great, but the gap between him and Cole is no longer $20m year, so the finances are nothing to sneeze at...2 picks acknowledge the value of Trey.

ORL really doesn't have any bad salary to unload, so I tried to sweeten it a different way. NOLA is very deep in some ways and mismatched in others...maybe this helps. ORL could add Caleb Houstan, a 6'8 kid that only shoots 3's but makes an effort defensively, if that was an interest.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#11 » by Euphonetiks » Sun May 12, 2024 3:14 pm

Skybox wrote:ORL could make a lot of sense, but that's a lot of salary to swallow...maybe:

Before you shell me, maybe Trey and Herb are more of the same thing than you need. WCJ is a very solid young C, on one of the best team-friendly deals, can spread the floor, switch on defense and, imo, complement Zion very well. CJ's great, but the gap between him and Cole is no longer $20m year, so the finances are nothing to sneeze at...2 picks acknowledge the value of Trey.

ORL really doesn't have any bad salary to unload, so I tried to sweeten it a different way. NOLA is very deep in some ways and mismatched in others...maybe this helps. ORL could add Caleb Houstan, a 6'8 kid that only shoots 3's but makes an effort defensively, if that was an interest.

Trey fits perfectly with Zion. Not sure why folks think they can steal a 6’10” deadeye shooter who can defend. Trey and Herb are wildly different players. Herb being an all world defender with an improving perimeter shot and Trey with an all world perimeter shot with improving defense.

The only way the Pelicans trade Trey is in a package for an all-nba talent. This trade moves 40% of the Pelicans made 3’s last season for a jack of all trades center, a mediocre guard, and 2 mid-late 1sts. That’s not happening.
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#12 » by aguiar95 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:23 pm

If hes willing to accept a 6th man role, hed fit nice in DAL/OKC
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#13 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
Skybox wrote:ORL could make a lot of sense, but that's a lot of salary to swallow...maybe:

Trey fits perfectly with Zion. Not sure why folks think they can steal a 6’10” deadeye shooter who can defend. Trey and Herb are wildly different players. Herb being an all world defender with an improving perimeter shot and Trey with an all world perimeter shot with improving defense.

The only way the Pelicans trade Trey is in a package for an all-nba talent. This trade moves 40% of the Pelicans made 3’s last season for a jack of all trades center, a mediocre guard, and 2 mid-late 1sts. That’s not happening.

OK make it Herb...same to me
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,838

Post#14 » by the_process » Sun May 12, 2024 6:19 pm

Mrakar wrote:
the_process wrote:The Bulls might do LaVine, a 1st, and a swap for McCollum and Ingram? Maybe you could press them for another 1st instead of the swap?

No1 is taking Lavine for free, let alone paying for him.

I think CJ has neutral to slightly negative value depending on the team. I'm really his hater. He played really good for Pelicans this season but deep down i always knew he will not show up when it matters, and ofc he didnt.

The Bulls would be paying to turn LaVine into Ingram and taking CJ as part of the deal.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 322

Post#15 » by TimeisIllmatic » Sun May 12, 2024 8:57 pm

I have him as neutral value. He only has one more year after next season on his contract and shot the 3 really well this season.

The Pelicans probably won't move him until 2025/26.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,216

Post#16 » by Laimbeer » Sun May 12, 2024 11:22 pm

pipfan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I like him for Orlando if the Pels agree to take Anthony back. I suspect that, or a straight salary dump with a team like the Pistons is about as much as the Pelicans can hope for.

That's why I'm asking-to see if anyone would swallow him to make a bigger deal work

For me, I wouldn't take him on a salary dump. Overpaid and doesn't make a lot of sense with a pretty crowded backcourt. But all things are possible with Weaver.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,874

Post#17 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 am

Negative value for most teams.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,046

Post#18 » by R-DAWG » Mon May 13, 2024 3:12 pm

I feel like a CJ trade would play out similar to how the Jrue Holiday trade played out. CJ will be needed to outgoing salary on a larger trade and he would eventually be flipped to a 3rd team for rebuilding pieces.

He would be an excellent fit on the Lakers in place of D'Angelo Russell.

Return to Trades and Transactions