CHA/OKC

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,087

Re: CHA/OKC 

Post#21 » by Trey24 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:39 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Charlotte might value him that highly, but I can't imagine any other team would see his value higher than the 6th pick. And it can't possibly be insane for me to say that.

You just don't understand how good Mark Williams is going to be thats all. There's a reason they wouldn't include him. He is part of the core 3 young guys and his value is higher than the 6th pick in this draft
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,120

Post#22 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 12:44 pm

Trey24 wrote:You just don't understand how good Mark Williams is going to be thats all. There's a reason they wouldn't include him. He is part of the core 3 young guys and his value is higher than the 6th pick in this draft

How good is he going to be?

Because I don't have him a better prospect than the Mavs' own Derrick Lively and Lively comes with an additional rookie year and evidence that he can play major minutes in the playoffs and I wouldn't claim Lively had top 5 value.

I really liked Williams. I was hoping he or Kessler could get to Dallas in his draft. But he hasn't progressed defensively like I expected and even if we assume the injury risk is minimal, I'm still struggling to see a path to stardom here.

But I'm open to hear why.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#23 » by Devilanche » Mon May 13, 2024 2:47 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Why would OKC trade a 20 year old with crazy physical tools for a 2nd round value when they don’t have any need to generate marginal assets?

Even if the offer was for a 1st in the 20s, there’s zero reason for OKC because they don’t need marginal assets. I’d rather take the long shot that Dieng develops and lose out on a “late 1st” so at a non-1st value he’s just going to be hanging out.

So I have no idea how OKC values Dieng.
And I agree with you they have no need for marginal future assets so if they value him highly as a prospect, I agree continue to give him a roster spot.
But they also have more young players and draft picks coming than they can possibly roster, so its definitely logical to pick the guys you most believe in to keep and develop and open up roster spots for veteran upgrades and/or prospects you like better.

So the idea of Dieng in a deal even at a low valuation to me doesn't feel outrageous. I just can't speak at all to the specifcs of how he is valued.

But I know I don't have Mark Williams valued as a top 5 pick in this draft nor Dieng as a pick in the teens in this draft nor Jabari Walker now being valued as a first so I need to be careful here with other poster's players. :D

Dieng is in that sweet spot of 20-30 for this upcoming season. If he doesn’t establish any sort of role that goes to a second the season after.

Would OKC bite if the value of 20 is met ? Probably not unless we desperately need his spot. We have moved off enough first that roster spot won’t be an issue this upcoming season but he’s running out of time to establish something .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,538

Post#24 » by GoBobs » Mon May 13, 2024 2:58 pm

Not a terrible concept for Okc to move up and CHA to move back, if OKC has a guy they like who is there at 6 and CHA has a guy they like who they think will be there at 12.

Just simplify it a bit and make it 6 for 12 plus best of 2025 picks or 2 worst of 2025 picks.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,087

Post#25 » by Trey24 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:44 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Trey24 wrote:You just don't understand how good Mark Williams is going to be thats all. There's a reason they wouldn't include him. He is part of the core 3 young guys and his value is higher than the 6th pick in this draft

Because I don't have him a better prospect than the Mavs' own Derrick Lively and Lively comes with an additional rookie year and evidence that he can play major minutes in the playoffs and I wouldn't claim Lively had top 5 value.

I really liked Williams. I was hoping he or Kessler could get to Dallas in his draft. But he hasn't progressed defensively like I expected and even if we assume the injury risk is minimal, I'm still struggling to see a path to stardom here.

He defensive on/offs are pretty great and averages a double double in under 30 mins. Not sure if you are aware but he was out for the season since end of November so I'm not sure what you are talking about by his progression.

The Mavs wish Lively had the upside offensively and defensively of Williams IMO.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,588

Post#26 » by HornetJail » Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 pm

Trey24 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

He defensive on/offs are pretty great and averages a double double in under 30 mins. Not sure if you are aware but he was out for the season since end of November so I'm not sure what you are talking about by his progression.

The Mavs wish Lively had the upside offensively and defensively of Williams IMO.

i'll throw one more out there.

16-20 over the last two seasons with Mark as a starter (includes long stretches without multiple starters, winning games we had zero business being in). 32-96 with all other centers starting (mostly Nick Richards/Mason Plumlee).

That's not a coincidence.

I would love to know how TC doesn't believe he "hasn't progressed defensively" and whether that analysis has anything more behind it than Charlotte's season totals or his BPG number.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Texas Chuck

Post#27 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 5:27 pm

Trey24 wrote:He defensive on/offs are pretty great and averages a double double in under 30 mins.

Thanks

HornetJail wrote:
16-20 over the last two seasons with Mark as a starter (includes long stretches without multiple starters, winning games we had zero business being in). 32-96 with all other centers starting (mostly Nick Richards/Mason Plumlee).

Thanks

I'm going to ignore your reductive views on how I arrived at value. But appreciate you guys telling me why you value him so highly.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Post#28 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue May 14, 2024 3:32 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
HornetJail wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I like the concept here. Just fine tune the value. And part of how I would do that is replace Richards with Williams.

i assume you mean Grant

You know I do not. I mean Mark

Yeah no way known we are valuing Mark as a throwin. If his back prognosis is bad then fair enough but otherwise he's the third most valued player on our roster
Texas Chuck

Post#29 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 12:36 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
HornetJail wrote:i assume you mean Grant

You know I do not. I mean Mark

Yeah no way known we are valuing Mark as a throwin. If his back prognosis is bad then fair enough but otherwise he's the third most valued player on our roster

I am so confused. How in the world did you get throw in from me saying Charlotte needs to add value and I'd start by replacing Richards with Williams?

He was not being valued as a throw in. It was meant to add value. Now its clear Charlotte fans value him much higher than I do so it was a bad idea by me. But at no point was I just tossing him away.

Return to Trades and Transactions