ATL/SAS - Trae to Spurs

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

lpbman
Starter
And1: 10

Re: ATL/SAS - Trae to Spurs 

Post#21 » by lpbman » Mon May 13, 2024 8:02 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
lpbman wrote:Along the same lines, I was going to do a Murray to Houston for #3, Brooks, and Cam Whitmore.

I think Houston already has a PG better than Murray

I think I remember San Antonio all star Murray more than Atl version who I never watch play. I have seen the error of my ways.

Also, I had Green/Fred/Murray splitting the backcourt minutes evenly.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,873

Post#22 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 13, 2024 8:47 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Spurs trade:
Keldon Johnson
DeVonte Graham

Atlanta trades:
Trae Young

Why for San Antonio? They decide not to waste time with an already elite player in Wemby and try to build a contender already next year with them and Vassell. They also keep their other top 10 pick.

Why for Atlanta? They rebuild with the 1st and 4th picks. DeJounte can put up great stats without Trae and then be dealt for more assets.

This is the first reasonable Trae trade I've seen from the Spurs end. I don't think there's any chance Atlanta does it, but there is also zero chance the Spurs are giving the Hawks their picks back. The only reason the Spurs might do this is because this is a weak draft, and doing this assures them better Hawks picks from 25 to 27.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#23 » by dms269 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:43 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Spurs trade:
Keldon Johnson
DeVonte Graham

Atlanta trades:
Trae Young

Why for San Antonio? They decide not to waste time with an already elite player in Wemby and try to build a contender already next year with them and Vassell. They also keep their other top 10 pick.

Why for Atlanta? They rebuild with the 1st and 4th picks. DeJounte can put up great stats without Trae and then be dealt for more assets.
So essentially Atlanta tanks and gives the Spurs top 5 picks for the next 3 seasons?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,275

Post#24 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:26 pm

This is a weak draft, we are talking about pick 4. Not the #1 pick.

#4, both Atlanta picks back for Trae Young is probably the right value. Then just match salaries.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 534

Post#25 » by raleigh » Mon May 13, 2024 2:08 pm

This is the first reasonable Trae trade I've seen from the Spurs end. I don't think there's any chance Atlanta does it

This site, I swear. I'm gonna have to take a break from it for a while.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,069

Post#26 » by mg » Mon May 13, 2024 3:01 pm

JMAC3 wrote:This is a weak draft, we are talking about pick 4. Not the #1 pick.

#4, both Atlanta picks back for Trae Young is probably the right value. Then just match salaries.

This.

Wemby is ready to win now.

Why go with another small guard in Dillingham at 4 who will need years of development when Trae is entering his prime right now? FWIW I doubt Topic gets past the Wizards at 2 and I'm not even sold on him tbh.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#27 » by Bentley1225 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:21 pm

Graham, #4, 2025 Atlanta 1st, 2026 Spurs 1st(some form of protection), 2027 Atlanta 1st.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,903

Post#28 » by gswhoops » Mon May 13, 2024 4:29 pm

JMAC3 wrote:This is a weak draft, we are talking about pick 4. Not the #1 pick.

This seems like the move to me.

Wemby + Trae + a solid stable of role playing wings (Vassell, Sochan, Keldon, whoever you draft at #8) could push for a play-in spot as soon as next year.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,628

Post#29 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 4:33 pm

In the other thread they were kicking around idea of #1 for ingram or bridges. I imagine Traes value is much higher than these guys. This isn't enough.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,547

Post#30 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon May 13, 2024 6:02 pm

I really don’t think Trey’s going to SA. I don’t think Pop will want him, and I think Wemby despite being intrigued will trust Pop on this.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,069

Post#31 » by mg » Mon May 13, 2024 6:42 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:I really don’t think Trey’s going to SA. I don’t think Pop will want him, and I think Wemby despite being intrigued will trust Pop on this.

We'll see..

My gut feeling is either Trae or Garland end up in San Antonio to shoot 3's, run pick n roll and throw lobs to Wemby. Trae makes Wemby's life easier offensively while Wemby can help cover for Trae defensively.
eric365
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#32 » by eric365 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:51 pm

Spurs are the only team to have that much leverage on the hawk

They just have to ignore Trae Young and the hawks will have to choose between a rebuild gifting high picks to the spurs or meaningless seasons around the play-in

The hawks picks have way more value than during the murray trade. Giving back 2025 and 2027 atlanta picks back and keldon is already a lot
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 534

Post#33 » by raleigh » Mon May 13, 2024 6:58 pm

eric365 wrote:meaningless seasons around the play-in

There's zero reason to think that bothers Atlanta's ownership, so I wouldn't necessarily conclude that gives San Antonio leverage in the short-term.

The real leverage is the 2027 pick.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,547

Post#34 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon May 13, 2024 7:13 pm

mg wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:I really don’t think Trey’s going to SA. I don’t think Pop will want him, and I think Wemby despite being intrigued will trust Pop on this.

We'll see..

My gut feeling is either Trae or Garland end up in San Antonio to shoot 3's, run pick n roll and throw lobs to Wemby. Trae makes Wemby's life easier offensively while Wemby can help cover for Trae defensively.

If I’m SA, I’d rather be patient and get a PG that plays some defense. While Wemby’s defensive potential for sure exceeds Gobert’s, we saw what happened in Utah defensively when perimeter players were sieves.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,685

Post#35 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm

Leverage.

Atlanta can have meaningless seasons and trade Trae to Houston, Utah, Brooklyn, etc
wemby
Senior
And1: 339

Post#36 » by wemby » Mon May 13, 2024 8:04 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Leverage.

Atlanta can have meaningless seasons and trade Trae to Houston, Utah, Brooklyn, etc

Hope they do just that.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,114

Post#37 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 8:08 pm

eric365 wrote:They just have to ignore Trae Young and the hawks will have to choose between a rebuild gifting high picks to the spurs or meaningless seasons around the play-in

I mean that would be amazing for the Spurs of course. But pretty sure those aren't really the only options and insisting they are to fictionally get a better deal on a message board is just a waste of everyone's time.

But lEvErAge....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,607

Post#38 » by mademan » Mon May 13, 2024 8:17 pm

Ya i too think a Trae trade is less likely now. The Hawks get the best of both worlds here...they get to keep competing for the playoffs while having a cheap high potential talent on the roster.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,685

Post#39 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 pm

wemby wrote:

Hope they do just that.

I mean Atlanta isn’t Brooklyn though… I know it would be nice if they were.

But Trae, Murray, Jalen, OO are under team control through the pick debt…

Atlanta can do absolutely nothing and likely bottom out as a play-in team, even if Jalen doesn’t continue his development and Sarr is as bad as everyone thinks..
wemby
Senior
And1: 339

Post#40 » by wemby » Mon May 13, 2024 8:24 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
wemby wrote:

Hope they do just that.

I mean Atlanta isn’t Brooklyn though… I know it would be nice if they were.

But Trae, Murray, Jalen, OO are under team control through the pick debt…

Atlanta can do absolutely nothing and likely bottom out as a play-in team, even if Jalen doesn’t continue his development and Sarr is as bad as everyone thinks..

That's exactly what they did last year and they just landed no. 1 pick. Whatever it is they're doing, it's going great for the Spurs.

Return to Trades and Transactions