ATL/SAS - Trae to Spurs

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

eric365
Freshman
And1: 44

Re: ATL/SAS - Trae to Spurs 

Post#41 » by eric365 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:25 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
eric365 wrote:They just have to ignore Trae Young and the hawks will have to choose between a rebuild gifting high picks to the spurs or meaningless seasons around the play-in

I mean that would be amazing for the Spurs of course. But pretty sure those aren't really the only options and insisting they are to fictionally get a better deal on a message board is just a waste of everyone's time.

But lEvErAge....

Quite an aggressive post for no reason
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#42 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 13, 2024 8:31 pm

this is a really bad trade for the Hawks. They're better off keeping Trae and retooling around him. They have some good trade assets now between Murray and the #1 pick. That should be able to get them Trae's co-star.

Hawks shouldnt consider trading Trae to the Spurs without getting all there picks back+
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,685

Post#43 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 8:36 pm

wemby wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
wemby wrote:Hope they do just that.

I mean Atlanta isn’t Brooklyn though… I know it would be nice if they were.

But Trae, Murray, Jalen, OO are under team control through the pick debt…

Atlanta can do absolutely nothing and likely bottom out as a play-in team, even if Jalen doesn’t continue his development and Sarr is as bad as everyone thinks..

That's exactly what they did last year and they just landed no. 1 pick. Whatever it is they're doing, it's going great for the Spurs.

I should move on, but how has it been great for San Antonio?

Charlotte has stayed terrible... And Atlanta just won the lottery despite locking up Murray on a great contract.

Seems like this would be bad news for SA, but somehow everyone on both sides are happy. That’s great though
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,441

Post#44 » by CP War Hawks » Mon May 13, 2024 9:01 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
wemby wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Atlanta can do absolutely nothing and likely bottom out as a play-in team, even if Jalen doesn’t continue his development and Sarr is as bad as everyone thinks..

That's exactly what they did last year and they just landed no. 1 pick. Whatever it is they're doing, it's going great for the Spurs.

Charlotte has stayed terrible... And Atlanta just won the lottery despite locking up Murray on a great contract.

Seems like this would be bad news for SA, but somehow everyone on both sides are happy. That’s great though

Not sure why this Spurs bunch is so sassy nowadays...

However I like how the roster is shaping up.

Trae - Bufkin
DJM - Bogi
Hunter - Bey
Johnson - Gueye
OO - Sarr

DJM and CC are firmly on the market and the Hawks will receive value to varying degrees. We need to wait a couple more months to see how this plays out before declaring "how great this is for the Spurs".

OO, Bogi, Hunter, and Griffin are also in the trade mill. All those guys mentioned would be traded before Trae. Should be another exciting NBA Offseason.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,874

Post#45 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 13, 2024 9:43 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
wemby wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Hawks are about to give a bunch of entitlement minutes to a rookie, in a year they don't own their pick. Hard to see how the Spurs aren't thrilled. Even when rookies help you long term, they almost always kill you short term. Plus the Hawks are going to trade one of their 2 best players away. Definitely a good time for the Spurs.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,559

Post#46 » by Saints14 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:50 pm

I know it's not a great draft but with the 4th and 8th picks it feels like a great opportunity for the Spurs to try and find a young running mate for Wemby. They likely won't be bad and picking near the top of the draft for a long time, and we've seen time and time again teams rush it to surround their young star with veteran talent and end up capping their upside because the star they trade for isn't a true needle mover
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,685

Post#47 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 9:56 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
wemby wrote:That's exactly what they did last year and they just landed no. 1 pick. Whatever it is they're doing, it's going great for the Spurs.

Hawks are about to give a bunch of entitlement minutes to a rookie, in a year they don't own their pick. Hard to see how the Spurs aren't thrilled. Even when rookies help you long term, they almost always kill you short term. Plus the Hawks are going to trade one of their 2 best players away. Definitely a good time for the Spurs.

Atlanta likely drafting a big that will be playing behind one of Capela or OO though? I don’t expect them to bench someone better just because of the draft slot? And that’s if they even keep Sarr.

It’s just weird to have so many strong opinions this early is all. Not sure if you share those strong opinions or not.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#48 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 9:57 pm

OP looks WAAAAAY light for Trae, IMO.

I'd say that you're beginning with Vassell and going from there.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 13, 2024 10:26 pm

Skybox wrote:OP looks WAAAAAY light for Trae, IMO.

Spurs are never doing that.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#50 » by Skybox » Tue May 14, 2024 12:14 am

One_and_Done wrote:

Spurs only want to trade picks for Trae Young? That indicates a tear down in ATL…I think they’ll want young contributors too.
….Vassell’s the only player that makes sense
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,499

Post#51 » by Chinook » Tue May 14, 2024 12:23 am

I don't think the Spurs have the interest in trading Young that people want them to. I don't like idea of that Young's short-comings are okay because Wemby can hide him. Wemby could help bolster a better defender at the position too. It's not just horrible defenders having a DPOY candidate helps. Just draft Dillingham and a defensive forward, and keep it pushing. Add a vet wing to give the forward time to develop, and have the team grow together rather than trying to win now.

As I've said before, the Spurs make sense as partner to a Young trade given their salary flexibility, them having the Hawks picks and the other team likely being a competitive team with good players it has to trade for Young. Three-team deals where the Spurs give the Hawks back some of their draft capital in exchange for acquiring some of the talent from the other team make a lot more sense than one where they acquire Young themselves.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 1:44 am

Skybox wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

Spurs only want to trade picks for Trae Young? That indicates a tear down in ATL…I think they’ll want young contributors too.

Spurs are not likely to give up Vassell OR the Hawks picks.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#53 » by Skybox » Tue May 14, 2024 10:42 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Skybox wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Spurs are never doing that.

Are they likely to get Trae or are you opposed to that?
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 11:02 am

Skybox wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I mean, Trae's a good player to have, but he's also flawed and doesn't match Victor's timeline that well. I think he's also a low key injury risk given his body type and recent injury history.

If the Spurs didn't have the Hawks picks almost nobody would be suggesting Trae was the right pairing with Wemby. It's mostly fuelled by this idea that the Hawks can get their picks back; but why should the Spurs do that? Atlanta looks poised to be a lottery team the next 3 years, and are likely to move Trae regardless for a number of reasons including tax concerns.

With the Hawks about to move Trae, and force feed minutes to a rookie who will kill them short term, the smart move is to sit back and reap the benefits. The Spurs have #4, #8, max space, a likely Bulls lotto pick next year, 3 likely Hawks lotto picks, and unprotected swaps with Boston and Dallas in 28 and 30. Between that, their own picks, and their existing core of Wemby, Vassell and Sochan, I think they'll fill out their remaining needs without needing to blow their load on Trae.

The Spurs were better than their record indicated. Playing proper line-ups (no more Sochan or Branham at the 1, and Wemby at the 4) will see them in play-in territory even if they make modest moves.
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#55 » by Ball4life32 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:13 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Skybox wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Spurs are not likely to give up Vassell OR the Hawks picks.

I mean, Trae's a good player to have, but he's also flawed and doesn't match Victor's timeline that well. I think he's also a low key injury risk given his body type and recent injury history.

If the Spurs didn't have the Hawks picks almost nobody would be suggesting Trae was the right pairing with Wemby. It's mostly fuelled by this idea that the Hawks can get their picks back; but why should the Spurs do that? Atlanta looks poised to be a lottery team the next 3 years, and are likely to move Trae regardless for a number of reasons including tax concerns.

With the Hawks about to move Trae, and force feed minutes to a rookie who will kill them short term, the smart move is to sit back and reap the benefits. The Spurs have #4, #8, max space, a likely Bulls lotto pick next year, 3 likely Hawks lotto picks, and unprotected swaps with Boston and Dallas in 28 and 30. Between that, their own picks, and their existing core of Wemby, Vassell and Sochan, I think they'll fill out their remaining needs without needing to blow their load on Trae.

The Spurs were better than their record indicated. Playing proper line-ups (no more Sochan or Branham at the 1, and Wemby at the 4) will see them in play-in territory even if they make modest moves.

Trae has one injury and now he’s an injury risk? Also no way hawks would ever move Trae based on tax concerns and if they didn’t get their picks back why would they trade him? I would be shocked if Hawks gave them 3 lottery picks.

Hawks are in non stop rumors every year, Collins for 3 years, Murray…now Trae…..hawks were supposed to by the most active deadline team and didn’t make one move…..I wouldn’t listen to clickbait rumors about the hawks.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#56 » by dms269 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:15 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Skybox wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Spurs are not likely to give up Vassell OR the Hawks picks.

So the Spurs are better than their record, but he Hawks who had major injury issues throughout the season and questionable line-up choices as well are going to be significantly worse?
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 am

It seemed very clear Murray and Trae didn't fit.
wemby
Senior
And1: 339

Post#58 » by wemby » Wed May 15, 2024 10:51 am

dms269 wrote:So the Spurs are better than their record, but he Hawks who had major injury issues throughout the season and questionable line-up choices as well are going to be significantly worse?

Spurs are a team full of rookies, coming off an experimenting / tanking season where they even tried to pass a PF as a PG, and had Wemby chucking up 1 legged long threes half the season.
Hawks have been in the same place for 3 years, injuries or no injuries, Trae or no Trae. They are who they are (play in team), unless they make serious changes. Sarr in this draft changes nothing, but maybe if you move that pick for a good 3&D + package Trae/Dejounte for better fitting pieces that could make a real difference.
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,499

Post#59 » by Ball4life32 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:15 am

wemby wrote:
dms269 wrote:So the Spurs are better than their record, but he Hawks who had major injury issues throughout the season and questionable line-up choices as well are going to be significantly worse?

Spurs are a team full of rookies, coming off an experimenting / tanking season where they even tried to pass a PF as a PG, and had Wemby chucking up 1 legged long threes half the season.
Hawks have been in the same place for 3 years, injuries or no injuries, Trae or no Trae. They are who they are (play in team), unless they make serious changes. Sarr in this draft changes nothing, but maybe if you move that pick for a good 3&D + package Trae/Dejounte for better fitting pieces that could make a real difference.

Hawks have 4 top 8 offenses in a row with Trae and have gotten better offensively every year since their CF run yet their record has gotten worse. All because of defense….when Trae went down 7th ranked offense 29th ranked defense. (At this point hawks were the only below .500 team with a top 16 offense) If Sarr is as good defensively as they say (not saying he is or isn’t) than that 100% can change the hawks trajectory. Last time hawks even had medicore defense is when they made their run. Hawks getting better defensively is how they improve.
wemby
Senior
And1: 339

Post#60 » by wemby » Wed May 15, 2024 11:22 am

Ball4life32 wrote:
wemby wrote:

Hawks have 4 top 8 offenses in a row with Trae and have gotten better offensively every year since their CF run yet their record has gotten worse. All because of defense….when Trae went down 7th ranked offense 29th ranked defense. (At this point hawks were the only below .500 team with a top 16 offense) If Sarr is as good defensively as they say (not saying he is or isn’t) than that 100% can change the hawks trajectory. Last time hawks even had medicore defense is when they made their run. Hawks getting better defensively is how they improve.

Sarr would be a rookie and is a non shooter and a bad rebounder, who plays the same position where you already have 2 good players in Capela and Okongwu. If you were to tell me the Hawks' big plan for improving in '24 is drafting Sarr and playing him ahead of Capela/Okongwu, I'd be ECSTATIC as a Spurs fan in anticipation of another lottery pick. Only reason to worry is if the Hawks package the pick for good veteran help, say no. 1 for Herb Jones plus spare parts or something like that.

Return to Trades and Transactions