Who will sign Valanciunas ?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,454

Re: Who will sign Valanciunas ? 

Post#21 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:55 pm

Mrakar wrote:Sadly all the good teams will not want to spend money on him. I really think he is quality basketball player, but he ofc has his limitations. Noone wants to pay a backup 15 mils a season that is why he will probably end up on team like Wizards because they have money and no real option at center, and they are not going anywhere.

I actually really like the idea of the Wizards. He will generate some possessions with offensive rebounds and can also step out to three now and then. I think that will help their young guys who aren't going to be as physical as other teams. Obviously you are giving something up on defense, but that seems alright - losing while being more competitive is what they need right now.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,588

Post#22 » by HornetJail » Sun May 12, 2024 5:58 pm

Astaluego wrote:
HornetJail wrote:I'd be pretty happy if Charlotte got him, assuming we don't draft another center. We need someone good for all the minutes Mark doesn't play

I like that..thinking about a ST, where Hornets send Richards?..NOP gets a backup shot blocker on a good contract and Hornets save a few million on Jonas contract

i would happily ship Richards anywhere in the league so sure
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,063

Post#23 » by vxmike » Sun May 12, 2024 7:21 pm

I like the fit for OKC.
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Post#24 » by esvl » Sun May 12, 2024 7:22 pm

tcheco wrote:
Astaluego wrote:
esvl wrote:
I know you guys in Toronto love big centres who are useless in playoff, like Poeltl and JV. There is a chance for you to create another Twin Tower. Just keep Memphis out of these guys. We prefer the bigs who have both basic skills: finishing and defending.

I wouldn't have guessed, I'd swear they even gave Adams an extension while they were competitive

You are correct. Also had Dieng as a backup for some reason. I guess they are also alergic to centers that can rebound. But al least their fans are amazing at being obnoxious

Guys, you are free to bring JV to your team and enjoy threesome. Just keep Memphis out of
him and your remarkable basketball expertise.
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Post#25 » by esvl » Sun May 12, 2024 7:24 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
esvl wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:Memphis makes a lot of sense, actually.

They just need a big C for 22-24 mins. JJJ will play the other mins.

He already has connections to the franchise. This has to be the leading odds IMO.

I know you guys in Toronto love big centres who are useless in playoff, like Poeltl and JV. There is a chance for you to create another Twin Tower. Just keep Memphis out of these guys. We prefer the bigs who have both basic skills: finishing and defending.

If I were Memphis I would simply trade for a center who can hit the 3 and anchor a D and win the title, like the Raptors did in 2019 with Marc Gasol.

Aligned. Hoping for Claxton.
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Post#26 » by tcheco » Sun May 12, 2024 7:36 pm

esvl wrote:
tcheco wrote:
Astaluego wrote:I wouldn't have guessed, I'd swear they even gave Adams an extension while they were competitive

You are correct. Also had Dieng as a backup for some reason. I guess they are also alergic to centers that can rebound. But al least their fans are amazing at being obnoxious

Guys, you are free to bring JV to your team and enjoy threesome. Just keep Memphis out of
him and your remarkable basketball expertise.

You fantasize sexually with players? Ew, get some help, and some brain
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#27 » by Bentley1225 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:57 pm

OKC for the MLE for 2+1 I think will happen
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,965

Post#28 » by psman2 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:40 pm

Put me down with I don't think Val can get the full MLE anymore. He is entering his Kanter years, a good offensive regular season center that likely falls out a team's playoff rotation. My guess is on the high end it is something like a 2/20 with 2nd year only gtd for a few million.

I agree that Memphis would very likely never look at him again, he is not what we want out of a center. Maybe if we sign another center but want another body there and are only left with the TMLE we would offer it to him.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,579

Post#29 » by BarbaGrizz » Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 pm

Wouldn´t mind seeing JV back in Memphis for a reasonable contract if we whif on other Centers
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
louc1970
Senior
And1: 186

Post#30 » by louc1970 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:06 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Every cap space team should give him the room exception w/o hesitation (OKC, DET, SAS), but he'll be angling for the MLE IMO, I'm not sure which MLE team will give it to him.

I would say OKC is the best option. He can come in and body up on the opposing center instead of having Holmgren try.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,124

Post#31 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 5:20 pm

tcheco wrote:You fantasize sexually with players? Ew, get some help, and some brain

Yeah none of this is actually contributing anything to discussion and its just personal attacks. Don't do this.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Monky15
Starter
And1: 696

Post#32 » by Monky15 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:25 pm

If he doesn't get the offers he wants (MLE) then either Denver to ring chase or back to Europe where he can make similar money to the minor exceptions and play less games while being closer to home.
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 975

Post#33 » by BuddyBuckets » Mon May 13, 2024 10:23 pm

Undervalued player. If he played on the Wiz he'd put up 22/13 averages. Sure he gets cooked in P&R but as far as offensively talented bigs go he's still up there.
Texas Chuck

Post#34 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 pm

BuddyBuckets wrote:Undervalued player. If he played on the Wiz he'd put up 22/13 averages. Sure he gets cooked in P&R but as far as offensively talented bigs go he's still up there.

What an oddly specific and completely unprovable statistical assumption. Also who cares? Someone has to score and rebound even on bad teams. Boban could do that if you played him 30 minutes. But nobody is planning on paying Boban big this summer. Heck Al Jefferson probably still gives you 15/10 if you don't care at all about defense.

He is what he is. Big physical center with some offensive skill and rebounding. These guys tend to be nominal starters who don't close games. Nobody is paying big money for this guy any longer, nor should they. He's a fine rotation center. He's Zubac essentially.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 975

Post#35 » by BuddyBuckets » Mon May 13, 2024 10:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
BuddyBuckets wrote:Undervalued player. If he played on the Wiz he'd put up 22/13 averages. Sure he gets cooked in P&R but as far as offensively talented bigs go he's still up there.

What an oddly specific and completely unprovable statistical assumption. Also who cares? Someone has to score and rebound even on bad teams. Boban could do that if you played him 30 minutes. But nobody is planning on paying Boban big this summer. Heck Al Jefferson probably still gives you 15/10 if you don't care at all about defense.

He is what he is. Big physical center with some offensive skill and rebounding. These guys tend to be nominal starters who don't close games. Nobody is paying big money for this guy any longer, nor should they. He's a fine rotation center. He's Zubac essentially.

Sorry mate, but it's laughable you lump him in with Boban/Zubac. He's vastly more talented offensively. Albeit Zubac is probably the better defender. But lets not go into fantasy land while degrading a quality player. Maybe there isn't a strong market for traditional bigs anymore, that doesn't mean he isn't a 20/10 level player.
Texas Chuck

Post#36 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 10:49 pm

He's literally never been a 20/10 player but I'm laughable for saying a guy who has played part-time and not closed games the past two years is a part-time player who doesn't close games.

One of is talking about literally what's happened and one of us is just making up stats and assigning them to him.

If that makes me the funny one, cool cool cool.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,965

Post#37 » by psman2 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:07 pm

BuddyBuckets wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Sorry mate, but it's laughable you lump him in with Boban/Zubac. He's vastly more talented offensively. Albeit Zubac is probably the better defender. But lets not go into fantasy land while degrading a quality player. Maybe there isn't a strong market for traditional bigs anymore, that doesn't mean he isn't a 20/10 level player.

I think Val could be close to 20/10 guy for Washington still, like he did when he first came to Memphis when we were shorthanded for 19 games to end the season. But to what end? His defense is even worse now and not getting any better with age. Why would a rebuilding team want to play though him to the detriment of development and still lose by 20 a night playing that way. He might be able to get a 20 minute role for a playoff team during the regular season but is likely phased out in the playoffs.

Zubac is vastly superior on D these days.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,590

Post#38 » by nate33 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:11 am

Mrakar wrote:Sadly all the good teams will not want to spend money on him. I really think he is quality basketball player, but he ofc has his limitations. Noone wants to pay a backup 15 mils a season that is why he will probably end up on team like Wizards because they have money and no real option at center, and they are not going anywhere.

The Wizards have absolutely no need or desire to add veterans at a high salary. They're only going to take on veterans that teams are trying to dump and who are willing to attach picks to them (like Bagley).

The Wizards already have Bagley and Holmes at center. They are adequate enough. They're not going to pay the MLE for a veteran that makes them 3 games better over the course of the regular season. Why would they want to improve from 24 wins to 27 wins with vetaren help? What does that accomplish?

The Wizards will live and die with their young guys (Vukcevic, Bagley, their draft pick) at center. If that means more losses, that's a feature, not a bug. It gets them a higher 2025 pick.
Johnston
Junior
And1: 198

Post#39 » by Johnston » Tue May 14, 2024 1:57 am

Texas Chuck wrote:He's literally never been a 20/10 player but I'm laughable for saying a guy who has played part-time and not closed games the past two years is a part-time player who doesn't close games.

One of is talking about literally what's happened and one of us is just making up stats and assigning them to him.

If that makes me the funny one, cool cool cool.

I've watched a lot of Jonas, lots of raps fans thought he should have been given a shot at #1 offensive option on the raps at times during the DeRozan/Lowry era. Before he was traded, he avged 13/7 in 19mins then and 20/11 in 27mins on the Grizz for the remainder of the season.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,742

Post#40 » by Ell Curry » Tue May 14, 2024 2:03 am

nate33 wrote:

The Wizards have absolutely no need or desire to add veterans at a high salary. They're only going to take on veterans that teams are trying to dump and who are willing to attach picks to them (like Bagley).

The Wizards already have Bagley and Holmes at center. They are adequate enough. They're not going to pay the MLE for a veteran that makes them 3 games better over the course of the regular season. Why would they want to improve from 24 wins to 27 wins with vetaren help? What does that accomplish?

The Wizards will live and die with their young guys (Vukcevic, Bagley, their draft pick) at center. If that means more losses, that's a feature, not a bug. It gets them a higher 2025 pick.

We do see tanking teams sometimes sign a veteran on say a 1+1 with the idea of trading him at the deadline when someone needs a center, but yeah, I don't see it either. If Jones stays you're over the cap anyways and if he goes I think you'll sign (or trade for) a PG unless you draft one just to keep the young guys in a normal playing environment and not kill Kuzma's value.

Charlotte I could see, if they trade Nick Richards.
Where's the D?

Return to Trades and Transactions