MEM/WAS Kuzma for 9

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

MEM/WAS Kuzma for 9 

Post#1 » by Malapropism » Tue May 14, 2024 5:17 pm

Clarke/Ziaire/Konchar/9 for Kuzma

Apparently the Grizzlies are are shopping 9 for a win now player and I find it hard to find one that is better than Kuzma. Washington is also looking for another first. Kuzma's contract is declining, which is great since the rest of that team is getting more expensive. He's also a pretty decent fit next to Ja/Bane/Jaren.

The salary filler can be adjusted. It really doesn't matter.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,176

Re: MEM/WAS Kuzma for 9 

Post#2 » by Residual-Heat » Tue May 14, 2024 5:19 pm

They need to target a center.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,282

Post#3 » by CraftylikeaFox » Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 pm

Malapropism wrote:Clarke/Ziaire/Konchar/9 for Kuzma

Apparently the Grizzlies are are shopping 9 for a win now player and I find it hard to find one that is better than Kuzma. Washington is also looking for another first. Kuzma's contract is declining, which is great since the rest of that team is getting more expensive. He's also a pretty decent fit next to Ja/Bane/Jaren.

The salary filler can be adjusted. It really doesn't matter.

Crazy that this draft is so (supposedly) bad that 9 for Kuzma seems like fair value
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,945

Post#4 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:22 pm

This is a guy who was traded together with a 22nd pick for Westbrook. Giving up the 9th overall seems a bit rich.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,486

Post#5 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 14, 2024 5:40 pm

Poeltl is their guy.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 883

Post#6 » by tester551 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:00 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Poeltl is their guy.

Kennard + #9 for Poeltl

Memphis gets the C they need.
Raptors get a pick back to "undo" the Spurs trade.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#7 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 6:02 pm

Memphis is already loaded. This seems like overkill.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 197

Post#8 » by louc1970 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 pm

I was thinking Poeltl as well. If not John Collins and Utah.
Singe will certainly deal.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 5,010

Post#9 » by psman2 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:11 pm

I think we would have very marginal interest in Kuzma, like close to none with our team needs and cap. Much rather continue to develop GG than give any minutes to Kuz. I also don't think he sniffs a pick this high from any team.

Not much interest in Poeltl either really at anything near this cost. His D as been sliding down for years now... just don't think we want a 20m non elite def drop center and give up real assets for it. He is likely benched in the 4th with JJJ sliding up. Just not worth the salary in my eyes with our team's salary structure. Now I could see us look at Poeltl if we exhaust all our other options later during FA, and might consider a LP 1st/filler at that point.
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 396

Post#10 » by esvl » Tue May 14, 2024 7:15 pm

Memphis is interested in neither of Kuzma, Collins, Poeltl. Neither for #9 nor cheaper.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 257

Post#11 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 12:40 am

I always get a kick out of non Grizz fans telling us what we should target. Grizz would not be interested in any of Kuzma, Poeltl, or Collins. None of them are worth a lottery pick on their current contracts. Grizz will get another big but hopefully we target a big who is able to play center (defend on a high level) and spread the floor on offense.
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 262

Post#12 » by Consequence » Wed May 15, 2024 12:47 am

QMemphis wrote:I always get a kick out of non Grizz fans telling us what we should target. Grizz would not be interested in any of Kuzma, Poeltl, or Collins. None of them are worth a lottery pick on their current contracts. Grizz will get another big but hopefully we target a big who is able to play center (defend on a high level) and spread the floor on offense.

…Like who? Brook Lopez? WCJ? High level defensive centers are rare enough and being able to shoot as well makes them even more rare. I threw out those two names as guys you could maybe get and sort of fit the description.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#13 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 12:51 am

Consequence wrote:
QMemphis wrote:I always get a kick out of non Grizz fans telling us what we should target. Grizz would not be interested in any of Kuzma, Poeltl, or Collins. None of them are worth a lottery pick on their current contracts. Grizz will get another big but hopefully we target a big who is able to play center (defend on a high level) and spread the floor on offense.

…Like who? Brook Lopez? WCJ? High level defensive centers are rare enough and being able to shoot as well makes them even more rare. I threw out those two names as guys you could maybe get and sort of fit the description.

I’m on the front row of the WCJ train and looking really hard at the OO stop. Prefer WCJ due to multiple reasons but have no interest in 36 year old Brook.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,076

Post#14 » by One_and_Done » Wed May 15, 2024 2:45 am

I doubt Kuzma is worth the 9.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,833

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 15, 2024 2:48 am

QMemphis wrote:I always get a kick out of non Grizz fans telling us what we should target.

Serious question. If you don't value what non-Grizzlies fans think, why are you visiting this board?

And why would other fans not be capable of evaluating the Grizzlies? Are you only capable of evaluating the Grizzlies and no other teams? And do you think you could possibly put the Grizzlies into any kind of worthwhile context without leaguewide awareness?

Really don't understand this line of thinking, but I'm hoping you can explain why only Memphis fans should comment on Memphis.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#16 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 3:05 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
QMemphis wrote:I always get a kick out of non Grizz fans telling us what we should target.

Serious question. If you don't value what non-Grizzlies fans think, why are you visiting this board?

And why would other fans not be capable of evaluating the Grizzlies? Are you only capable of evaluating the Grizzlies and no other teams? And do you think you could possibly put the Grizzlies into any kind of worthwhile context without leaguewide awareness?

Really don't understand this line of thinking, but I'm hoping you can explain why only Memphis fans should comment on Memphis.

I never said I didn’t want other’s opinions, I don’t like other fans suggesting they know more than Grizz fans telling us who we should be targeting. I come in this board fit fan opinions and player evaluations, I don’t expect any of them to be as knowledgeable of the Grizz than the 11 fans we have here but to respect we know our team needs and direction a bit more.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,833

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 15, 2024 3:09 am

QMemphis wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I never said I didn’t want other’s opinions, I don’t like other fans suggesting they know more than Grizz fans telling us who we should be targeting. I come in this board fit fan opinions and player evaluations, I don’t expect any of them to be as knowledgeable of the Grizz than the 11 fans we have here but to respect we know our team needs and direction a bit more.

They likely aren't as knowedgeable about some specifics. But that doesn't mean they can't see obvious needs or have good ideas about how to address them. In fact the smartest posters on this board tend to be those who are in threads about every team and not just their own team. Because they aren't myopically focused where they don't actually know how well their own players stack up against others in the league.

And just because they have an idea you don't like doesn't mean they don't respect your views on teams needs and direction. I mean I would assume just among the fanbase there are varied opinions, no?

IDK, I just think you do yourself a disservice if you are this quickly dismissive of some other posters. And it definitely makes conversation with you difficult. Why would another poster want to engage with a guy who laughs them off from the jump?

Food for thought (I hope)
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 376

Post#18 » by Xman » Wed May 15, 2024 3:15 am

9 & 2026 Memphis first (with swap rights but top four protected), couple of 2nds
For
3. Then take Clingan
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,510

Post#19 » by Chinook » Wed May 15, 2024 3:22 am

Xman wrote:9 & 2026 Memphis first (with swap rights but top four protected), couple of 2nds
For
3. Then take Clingan

Had a similar thought but with SA and the fourth pick. If the Spurs believe the top-10 is flat, they may be willing to drop. Issue is Memphis is out of easy-to-trade firsts and may not want to actually go into their seed corn to make this deal.

Poeltl seems like a better target though I would say that 9 might be too steep for the Grizz to pay.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#20 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 3:23 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

They likely aren't as knowedgeable about some specifics. But that doesn't mean they can't see obvious needs or have good ideas about how to address them. In fact the smartest posters on this board tend to be those who are in threads about every team and not just their own team. Because they aren't myopically focused where they don't actually know how well their own players stack up against others in the league.

And just because they have an idea you don't like doesn't mean they don't respect your views on teams needs and direction. I mean I would assume just among the fanbase there are varied opinions, no?

IDK, I just think you do yourself a disservice if you are this quickly dismissive of some other posters. And it definitely makes conversation with you difficult. Why would another poster want to engage with a guy who laughs them off from the jump?

Food for thought (I hope)

My mans I read through this board daily and value other posters view. For some reason you took my statement to mean that I don’t value other people’s opinion. He** I go off on Grizz posters too when they undervalue or overvalue our players and assets. My thoughts of frustration are not limited to this post for several months during a lost season I chose to educate posters on why we aren’t trading away Ja/Des/ and especially Jaren. But thanks for the warm words I do appreciate it.

Return to Trades and Transactions