Very Simple Trade - Jarrett Allen for Wendell Carter Jr

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,995

Re: Very Simple Trade - Jarrett Allen for Wendell Carter Jr 

Post#121 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 12:23 am

jbk1234 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
Skybox wrote:Pretty common national consensus that Allen OR Mobley at C is the way. That's a dilemma, but a good one. I still contend that WCJ would be a better complement to either of them, because he can shoot and switch defensively very well (really well for a guy built to bang with big guys). I understand Allen is more valuable than WCJ straight up. I also assume CLE, if choosing, sticks with Mobley over Allen. IF you accept that direction for CLE...what is the add from ORL to get Allen?

If you don't-no real need to jump in. I understand it's not a universal belief that they're (Allen & Mobley) not optimized together.

If WCJ and a late first rounder (for example) is the best offer we get for Jarrett Allen, I would rather keep Jarett Allen. The Cavs desperately need a SF. That is what I would be looking to move Allen for.

This. Altman isn't going to just gift good players away because of misplaced concerns over fit. Also, every fan posting here is acting like their their team will be the only team calling.

Not necessarily a true assumption. Some of us may just be saying what we think our team should offer for Garland. I, for one, understand that ORL doesn't necessarily have the "win-now" pieces another playoff team might prefer. Doesn't mean we wouldn't want Garland...just means ORL isn't going to enter a bidding war with core pieces.

For ORL, Paolo, Franz, and Suggs would not be in consideration (maybe Isaac too-he's a key to their defensive identity) for a supremely skilled 6'1 one-way guy who seemed pretty overwhelmed in the playoff series - by the ORL defense and, mostly, by his own teammate's enormous shadow. I think Garland is really really good and may be great, but he took a step backward, imo, in this series. His contract is enormous too...it's definitely detracting from his value for a team like ORL, that will be going from riches to a very tight budget when all 3 of their core guys get their extensions. Isaac will be due for a new deal too and he went from "maybe forced retirement/waiver" to "ready for a raise even though I'm playing 15 mpg".

A guy like Monk could be had for roughly half the salary and none of the assets. Monk is not Garland but ORL may not really need a "true" PG or 25ppg from that spot, as their offense needs a lot of goosing, but it's unlikely that Paolo & Franz will (or should) be pushed back in the hierarchy. Their unconventional size and skillsets are the most promising things ORL has to work with.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#122 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 12:25 am

Skybox wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
If WCJ and a late first rounder (for example) is the best offer we get for Jarrett Allen, I would rather keep Jarett Allen. The Cavs desperately need a SF. That is what I would be looking to move Allen for.

This. Altman isn't going to just gift good players away because of misplaced concerns over fit. Also, every fan posting here is acting like their their team will be the only team calling.

Not necessarily a true assumption. Some of us may just be saying what we think our team should offer for Garland. I, for one, understand that ORL doesn't necessarily have the "win-now" pieces another playoff team might prefer. Doesn't mean we wouldn't want Garland...just means ORL isn't going to enter a bidding war with core pieces.

For ORL, Paolo, Franz, and Suggs would not be in consideration (maybe Isaac too-he's a key to their defensive identity) for a supremely skilled 6'1 one-way guy who seemed pretty overwhelmed in the playoff series - by the ORL defense and, mostly, by his own teammate's enormous shadow. I think Garland is really really good and may be great, but he took a step backward, imo, in this series. His contract is enormous too...it's definitely detracting from his value for a team like ORL, that will be going from riches to a very tight budget when all 3 of their core guys get their extensions. Isaac will be due for a new deal too and he went from "maybe forced retirement/waiver" to "ready for a raise even though I'm playing 15 mpg".

A guy like Monk could be had for roughly half the salary and none of the assets. Monk is not Garland but ORL may not really need a "true" PG or 25ppg from that spot, as their offense needs a lot of goosing, but it's unlikely that Paolo & Franz will (or should) be pushed back in the hierarchy. Their unconventional size and skillsets are the most promising things ORL has to work with.

S#@T! Wrong thread :banghead: nevermind.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,695

Post#123 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 17, 2024 12:37 am

How far off is:

WCJ + Franz Wagner + Suggs

FOR

Allen + Garland + Strus
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,689

Post#124 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 17, 2024 1:39 am

Wolveswin wrote:How far off is:

FOR

Allen + Garland + Strus

magic would never do that ..not close..no fixing..out of the question...bad ...
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,695

Post#125 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 17, 2024 2:41 am

orlando_joe wrote:

FOR

Allen + Garland + Strus

Explain.

Allen > WCJ. Thread has Allen > by at least a 1st.

Wagner > Garland…by more than a 1st?

I like Suggs more than Strus. But in the realm.

And as I asked, how far off. You say bad. I see close. Value wise.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 645

Post#126 » by AaronB » Fri May 17, 2024 3:38 am

Wolveswin wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

FOR

Allen + Garland + Strus

Explain.

Wrong thread.

Let's keep this one simple.

You can create your own with more complex trades.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,086

Post#127 » by Ducklett » Fri May 17, 2024 5:28 am

Wolveswin wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

FOR

Allen + Garland + Strus

Explain.

I would guess Wagner > Garland by 1 3/4 1sts, Allen > WCJ by a 1st and a 2nd, and Suggs > Strus by 1 1/2 1sts.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#128 » by AaronB » Fri May 17, 2024 6:13 am

Ducklett wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:magic would never do that ..not close..no fixing..out of the question...bad ...

Explain.

I would guess Wagner > Garland by 1 3/4 1sts, Allen > WCJ by a 1st and a 2nd, and Suggs > Strus by 1 1/2 1sts.

Let's not derail this thread with things not simple.

I would rather it die than degrade into a debate of complex trades.

The concept was always: if a team could improve by trading for a less valuable player but a better fit for their team, would they?

I would because the only thing I would care about is winning.

There are lots of "flip this guy and get back multiple assets" type of ideas, but those so rarely work out in any fashion.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 214

Post#129 » by Astaluego » Fri May 17, 2024 10:40 am

Vucevic+#11 to WIZARDS..

Kuzma to CAVS

Allen to BULLS
Old Mike Lorenzo
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,908

Post#130 » by mcfly1204 » Fri May 17, 2024 11:28 am

Astaluego wrote:Vucevic+#11 to WIZARDS..

Kuzma to CAVS

Allen to BULLS

I don't see Kuzma doing a great deal for the Cavs, he's the opposite of a 3 and D player. If they could acquire him on the cheap, I'd consider taking a shot, but not for the price of Allen.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,799

Post#131 » by toooskies » Fri May 17, 2024 11:36 am

AaronB wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Explain.

The concept was always: if a team could improve by trading for a less valuable player but a better fit for their team, would they?

There are lots of "flip this guy and get back multiple assets" type of ideas, but those so rarely work out in any fashion.

I don't think the Cavs would think they're better with just WCJ. Possibly better as a starting group but worse in the 15 minutes a game where WCJ would be out there without Mobley.

So Orlando has to add value, whether that's #18 or Isaac or Black or somebody else.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,895

Post#132 » by DowJones » Fri May 17, 2024 12:08 pm

AaronB wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Explain.

I don’t think WCJ makes the Cavs better. He is a career 33% shooter from 3 and 72% shooter from the FT line. He can’t put the ball on the floor and I don’t trust him on the perimeter defending 2’s and 3’s on a switch. I would much rather the Cavs get a 3 and D 6-7 to 6-9 SF/PF that can shoot better than Carter and switch out on the perimeter.

I don’t want Carter starting with Mobley. I would rather start Dean Wade at the 4. He is a better shooter and more versatile defender. I view Carter as a high end backup big or a mid-low end starting big. I view Allen as a very good starting center. I don’t think a reasonable amount of draft capital can bridge that gap.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#133 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 17, 2024 12:52 pm

toooskies wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

I don't think the Cavs would think they're better with just WCJ. Possibly better as a starting group but worse in the 15 minutes a game where WCJ would be out there without Mobley.

So Orlando has to add value, whether that's #18 or Isaac or Black or somebody else.

i dont see magic adding more then a 2nd or 2...magic need a spread the floor 5..allen is not ..wcj floor spacing and contract fit well enough
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#134 » by AaronB » Fri May 17, 2024 1:58 pm

toooskies wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

The Magic are not going to add Isaac or Black, who both are much more valuable than either player.

I don't see #18 making sense for the Cavs as they are in win now. If WCJ does not make them better, which I would propose WCJ's 3 point shooting (he is a 37% shooter from 3) makes their guards much better, then it it does not make much sense for the Cavs.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#135 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 17, 2024 2:13 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

FOR

Allen + Garland + Strus

Explain.

well i see this as close to a blow up of team...magic i dont think interested in this direction at all i do not see allen as big upgrade at all small maybe but i like wcj contract and floor space on offense closer to wash...
franz and his position a 6'10 wing 2-way more team control just everything is not close to me for garland
really suggs is so much more value then strus its almost a insult

and the 45 mill tpe cavs would get...and use all magic space up..i think magic find different way to use that 45 mill cap space
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,801

Post#136 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:25 pm

AaronB wrote:
toooskies wrote:
AaronB wrote:

The Magic are not going to add Isaac or Black, who both are much more valuable than either player.

I don't see #18 making sense for the Cavs as they are in win now. If WCJ does not make them better, which I would propose WCJ's 3 point shooting (he is a 37% shooter from 3) makes their guards much better, then it it does not make much sense for the Cavs.

Why did this thread get bumped after Allen went beast mode against the Magic in the first two games of that series and all the damage the Magic did at home was with Allen on the bench?

I'm just really struggling with how anyone thinks that sequence of events changed the dynamic from last offseason when Allen didn't have the best series against the Knicks. It's not a rational thought. WCJ taking three 3 point attempts a game and converting 1.2 of them doesn't change that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#137 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 17, 2024 2:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
AaronB wrote:
toooskies wrote:I don't think the Cavs would think they're better with just WCJ. Possibly better as a starting group but worse in the 15 minutes a game where WCJ would be out there without Mobley.

Why did this thread get bumped after Allen went beast mode against the Magic in the first two games of that series and all the damage the Magic did at home was with Allen on the bench?

I'm just really struggling with how anyone thinks that sequence of events changed the dynamic from last offseason when Allen didn't have the best series against the Knicks. It's not a rational thought. WCJ taking three 3 point attempts a game and converting 1.2 of them doesn't change that.

to be fair allen played in game 3 blowout by more then both first 2 games combined and first experience in playoffs for most all magic players that play real min...but you are correct a couple games does not change things
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,801

Post#138 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:55 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
AaronB wrote:

to be fair allen played in game 3 blowout by more then both first 2 games combined and first experience in playoffs for most all magic players that play real min...but you are correct a couple games does not change things

Allen played 24 minutes in Game 3. He played a combined 73 minutes in Games 1 & 2.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#139 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 2:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
AaronB wrote:
toooskies wrote:I don't think the Cavs would think they're better with just WCJ. Possibly better as a starting group but worse in the 15 minutes a game where WCJ would be out there without Mobley.

Allen being really good is not a hidden secret. He was an All-Star. Allen's a 9. Mobley's a 9. Together, they are a 15...I'm assuming Mobley is the one they'd keep if they break up the pair. Either one would bring back a lot. Allen is probably better than Mobley today, but Mobley is probably the higher ceiling long-term bet. I'd happily sub Mobley into the discussion rather than Allen, if you prefer.

Let's say WCJ is a 7...what's the add that makes it a fair deal?
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#140 » by orlando_joe » Fri May 17, 2024 3:01 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Allen played 24 minutes in Game 3. He played a combined 73 minutes in Games 1 & 2.

yea because no starters played in 4th from both teams due to blowout...and wcj did not start first 2 games and no min in 4th quarter of games 3 and 4 due to blowouts..and wcj needed surgery on hand that was broke in game 5 of reg season right after playoffs that he played thru...i can spin also...or just state facts

magic were 1 bucket from winning 4 straight after those first 2 loses in cleveland

Return to Trades and Transactions