George for Oladipo

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,262

Re: George for Oladipo 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Fine, but I also covered how that comparison you were making was irrelevant on its own merits. All players don't develop the same. Just because George wasn't a star from day one means nothing in terms of Gordon. George had some things going for him already that Gordon hasn't shown to date. Again not trying to disparage Gordon who hasn't gotten an opportunity yet the way George started to by the end of that rookie year, just saying we have to look at him based solely on him.

Also, Paul George had a healthy Danny Granger in front of him. Who is the still young, all-star caliber talent that is blocking Aaron Gordon from producing in his first 2 years?
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#22 » by GANGSTERDOG » Thu Nov 5, 2015 7:07 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Fine, but I also covered how that comparison you were making was irrelevant on its own merits. All players don't develop the same. Just because George wasn't a star from day one means nothing in terms of Gordon. George had some things going for him already that Gordon hasn't shown to date. Again not trying to disparage Gordon who hasn't gotten an opportunity yet the way George started to by the end of that rookie year, just saying we have to look at him based solely on him.

Also, Paul George had a healthy Danny Granger in front of him. Who is the still young, all-star caliber talent that is blocking Aaron Gordon from producing in his first 2 years?

Injury
Second Injury
Scott Skiles
Our highest paid player Tobias Harris
and Our Leading Scorer Evan Fournier

Look I love Paul George he was my favorite player in the league for 3 years. But Not trading for AG you can have anyone else tho lol. Gordon is the only person on our team that has balls in the 4th Quarter, his 4th quarter % is like in the 70%,potential 2 Way player,elite athleticism and draws fouls consistently. I fully expect (once LeBron retires) Giannis, Gordon, George, Johnson to be the next Wave of Elite two way Tweeners in the East. Probably Ben Simmons too
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 9:15 pm

RebelWithACause wrote:PG

for

Oladipo, Nicholson, First Round Pick
(Maybe Harris as well)

Who says no?

Why for Orlando?
They seem to be stuck right now. I fail to see really high end talent, their accumulation of talent doesn't fit.
Oladipo will turn 24 soon, so he basically is what he is.
A lack of spacing is something else that is hurting them.
They don't have a real SF and George solves their problem of having a high end star.
Would also further help to shore up their defense.

A lineup of:

PG: Payton / Watson / Napier
SG: Fournier / Hezonja
SF: George
PF: Gordon (Harris)
C: Vuc / Dedmon

Looks a lot better fit wise and better structured.

Why for Indiana?
Honestly it's time to rebuild for the Pacers, try to send away Hill, Ellis, George for picks and young players.
Retool.

OK the premise here is a bit off, do you realize that PG is only 25? Indiana is rebuilding now trading a star like PG at age 25 for a guy who is what 23 makes no since if you want to get younger. Also George Hill is only 28, and on a great contract. Ellis was just signed, and his deal is reasonable too. It's not good form to sign a guy and trade him as soon as the traded restriction expires.

I like Oladipo he played at IU so that's in his favor and he's a very good 2 way player. But to net PG you're gonna have to ad some value. Nicholson is not enough.

If a deal like this was in the works I'd have to have Vic, Harris and the Lakers pick plus 2016 Magic pick top 3 protected. Harris has to be in the deal to make it work financially. I'm not sure I'd bite on that even. If Vic was acquired by Indiana they'd have to move Ellis and or Stuckey in a second deal.

I can't see the pacers making a move like this in the 2015-16 season.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#24 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 9:23 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I actually think Orlando would pass as well. It will cost a minimum of picks, and 2 out of 3 of Gordon, Harris and Oladipo. That is an awful lot. I love Paul George, but that is a pretty big package. Orlando would still have enough holes, that this doesn't make them a contender just yet.

When you're trying to get a player of his caliber you have to offer a lot. This is not like getting a 33 yr old Allen Iverson. Look what NYK gave to denver to get Carmello. I don't remember how old Carmello was when that trade went down, and Melo was a little better offensively than PG, but he's never been the defender PG is. In the last 2 games PG just drove Detroit and Boston crazy with his Defense. The Pacers love defense so don't expect PG to get dealt off they'll build around him.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,497

Post#25 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 9:50 pm

If George "demands" a trade, Orlando would certainly have enough assets to acquire him but don't think Henny would be interested in selling the farm for another wing player where that's Orlando's most stacked position. If Orlando is consolidating assets it will be for a player that would immediately put us in playoff/championship contention (for ex. Cousins/Davis) and I simply don't think PG will do that.

Any trade scenario involving Dipo for PG I would respectfully decline. Maybe a trade based around Harris + Hezonja + top 3 protected 1st and LA's pick and Monta being shipped to a third team and Indiana getting more assets.

Orlando needs and will strike when a great opportunity presents itself and will never overpay, Otis Smith days are long gone. On top of all of that we are one of the deepest youngest teams in the league and that was strategically done, we do have a losing record but whoever watched those games knows Orlando is literally a key role player away from seriously competing.

I say hold on to our assets and prove to the league this year we can hang with the best (as we have shown already) and go after Al Hortford hard this summer and hope Milsap only told him good things :)
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#26 » by tiderulz » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:15 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:If George "demands" a trade, Orlando would certainly have enough assets to acquire him but don't think Henny would be interested in selling the farm for another wing player where that's Orlando's most stacked position. If Orlando is consolidating assets it will be for a player that would immediately put us in playoff/championship contention (for ex. Cousins/Davis) and I simply don't think PG will do that.

Any trade scenario involving Dipo for PG I would respectfully decline. Maybe a trade based around Harris + Hezonja + top 3 protected 1st and LA's pick and Monta being shipped to a third team and Indiana getting more assets.

Orlando needs and will strike when a great opportunity presents itself and will never overpay, Otis Smith days are long gone. On top of all of that we are one of the deepest youngest teams in the league and that was strategically done, we do have a losing record but whoever watched those games knows Orlando is literally a key role player away from seriously competing.

I say hold on to our assets and prove to the league this year we can hang with the best (as we have shown already) and go after Al Hortford hard this summer and hope Milsap only told him good things :)

Dipo for PG based trade, sign me up.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:46 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:If George "demands" a trade, Orlando would certainly have enough assets to acquire him but don't think Henny would be interested in selling the farm for another wing player where that's Orlando's most stacked position. If Orlando is consolidating assets it will be for a player that would immediately put us in playoff/championship contention (for ex. Cousins/Davis) and I simply don't think PG will do that.

A team with Vic and PG on the floor together would be very disruptive defensively, that said I don't think you're gonna get PG from Indiana without sending Vic. This is a moot point really because PG is not for sale and he's not requesting a trade or likely to request a trade.

Orlando is a good looking young team if they can continue to grow and consolidate their assets, should they trade for PG if he was available, sure. If they can draft well and sign a guy like Al Horford they'll be on the right path.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#28 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 1:18 am

One example of a star traded for a package was when Philly traded Iverson, who was 31 at the time, to the Nuggets they got 2 #1 picks in 2007 with Joe Smith and Andre Miller. 2 yrs later Iverson was gone. The two #1 picks turned into Jason Smith and Derrick Byars who was picked 42nd, the 76ers moved the 30th pick to portland for the 42nd pick and cash. Byars was released before the 2007 season started. Joe Smith played 54 games for Philly and was gone the next year. Only Andre Miller was of value he gave the 76ers 3 good yrs before leaving via free agency to sign with Portland.

Many times these packages don't turn out to be much, in the case of Iverson neither team got much out of it.

The best example of a deal like PG getting traded would be the Feb 22, 2011 trade that sent Carmello to the Knicks. Denver ended up getting Wilson Chandler, Ray Felton, Gallinari, Mozgov, a 2014 #1 and a pick swap in 2016 plus 2 2nd round picks, and Kosta Koufos from Minn, For Carmello and Chauncey Billups and some filler. The Knicks also sent Anthony Randolph and Eddie Curry to Minn.

Carmello was about 25 when that trade wen down.

February 22, 2011: New York Knicks to Denver Nuggets (three-team trade)
Denver acquired Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, a 2014 first-round pick, 2012 and 2013 second-round picks, the option to swap 2016 first-round picks, and cash considerations from New York
Denver acquired Kosta Koufos from Minnesota
New York acquired Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Anthony Carter, Renaldo Balkman and Shelden Williams from Denver
New York acquired Corey Brewer from Minnesota
Minnesota acquired a 2015 second-round pick from Denver
Minnesota acquired Anthony Randolph, Eddy Curry and cash considerations from New York
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#29 » by tiderulz » Fri Nov 6, 2015 2:08 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:One example of a star traded for a package was when Philly traded Iverson, who was 31 at the time, to the Nuggets they got 2 #1 picks in 2007 with Joe Smith and Andre Miller. 2 yrs later Iverson was gone. The two #1 picks turned into Jason Smith and Derrick Byars who was picked 42nd, the 76ers moved the 30th pick to portland for the 42nd pick and cash. Byars was released before the 2007 season started. Joe Smith played 54 games for Philly and was gone the next year. Only Andre Miller was of value he gave the 76ers 3 good yrs before leaving via free agency to sign with Portland.

Many times these packages don't turn out to be much, in the case of Iverson neither team got much out of it.

The best example of a deal like PG getting traded would be the Feb 22, 2011 trade that sent Carmello to the Knicks. Denver ended up getting Wilson Chandler, Ray Felton, Gallinari, Mozgov, a 2014 #1 and a pick swap in 2016 plus 2 2nd round picks, and Kosta Koufos from Minn, For Carmello and Chauncey Billups and some filler. The Knicks also sent Anthony Randolph and Eddie Curry to Minn.

Carmello was about 25 when that trade wen down.

February 22, 2011: New York Knicks to Denver Nuggets (three-team trade)
Denver acquired Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, a 2014 first-round pick, 2012 and 2013 second-round picks, the option to swap 2016 first-round picks, and cash considerations from New York
Denver acquired Kosta Koufos from Minnesota
New York acquired Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Anthony Carter, Renaldo Balkman and Shelden Williams from Denver
New York acquired Corey Brewer from Minnesota
Minnesota acquired a 2015 second-round pick from Denver
Minnesota acquired Anthony Randolph, Eddy Curry and cash considerations from New York

trades for HArden and Howard? not so great returns
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#30 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 2:58 am

tiderulz wrote:

trades for HArden and Howard? not so great returns[/quote]

Well as I recall the Dwight Howard deal was a 4 team trade that seems to have come back to bite the lakers in the butt. I don't remember what OKC got for Harden other than Kevin Martin and some picks. They were different deals, Howard wanted out of Orlando and OKC knew they couldn't sign Harden without going deep into the Tax. The Pacer have no tax issues and PG has not requested a trade. I don't think the Pacers are gonna be so bad this year that he will want out, he's young and his head is in the right place.

Really all these threads about PG getting traded are laughable. The Pacer gave Toronto and Memphis a good fight in the first two games then had a let down with the game against Utah, but came back to beat the Pistons at Detroit and beat Boston last night in Indianapolis.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,262

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 6, 2015 4:24 am

tiderulz wrote:

Both were expiring, were they not? Paul George is safely signed.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#32 » by tiderulz » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

HArden was on last year of rookie deal, so was a RFA at worse. Howard was an expiring, but a player that had just taken a team to the finals, something that no other FA except Lebron had done
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#33 » by j_n » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:42 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I actually think Orlando would pass as well. It will cost a minimum of picks, and 2 out of 3 of Gordon, Harris and Oladipo. That is an awful lot. I love Paul George, but that is a pretty big package. Orlando would still have enough holes, that this doesn't make them a contender just yet.

As a Magic fan I would do: 2 1st round picks, Oladipo and Harris for PG and run with

Payton
Fournier/Hezona
PG
Gordon
Vucevic

to me that team could be a contender in a few years I dont see many holes either.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#34 » by hcsilla » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:50 pm

If the Pacers want to rebuild, it will be around Paul George not without him.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#35 » by spearsy23 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 1:33 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

HArden was on last year of rookie deal, so was a RFA at worse. Howard was an expiring, but a player that had just taken a team to the finals, something that no other FA except Lebron had done

OKC was in a position where they could not pay Harden, so he effectively had 1 year left. And even then got an elite shooter, high upside prospect and two picks. Basically the equivalent of Hezonja, Harris and two firsts. And That was for a sixth man who there were doubts about being able to lead a team, so it would take quite a bit more than that for Indy.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#36 » by tiderulz » Fri Nov 6, 2015 1:46 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

OKC was in a position where they could not pay Harden, so he effectively had 1 year left. And even then got an elite shooter, high upside prospect and two picks. Basically the equivalent of Hezonja, Harris and two firsts. And That was for a sixth man who there were doubts about being able to lead a team, so it would take quite a bit more than that for Indy.

i understand that that, just saying that OKC wasnt trading away a clear free agent, but someone still somewhat "locked in" to whatever team had his contract and rights.

Return to Trades and Transactions