Where will Markieff Morris land?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Where will Markieff Morris land? 

Post#21 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:56 am

VIA Cowology

Detroit Out: Jennings
Detroit In: Markieff and Langston Galloway

NY Out: Calderon & Galloway
NY In: Jennings

Phx Out: Markieff
Phx In: Calderon
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,577

Post#22 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:10 am

I think the Celtics would deal Amir Johnson for Markieff and the Cavs 1st round pick.

The same goes for Raps and Patrick Patterson.

However, I think Houston makes the most sense. Lawson and Jones for Morris and Teletovic seems ideal for both sides.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,030

Post#23 » by Rockazoids » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am

sportscrazy wrote:At this point with the Bledsoe injury, the coaching situation up in the air and the top of the Western Conference being so elite, I think Phoenix would look at dealing Morris as an addition by subtraction type of move.

Detroit gets:
Markieff Morris

New York gets:
Steve Blake
Anthony Tolliver

Phoenix gets:
Derrick Williams
Darrun Hilliard

How does this help NY?
Because someone know how to play in the triangle it doesn't mean that they are any good at it.(see Sasha Vujacic)
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,944

Post#24 » by LarsV8 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:01 am

oyoyer wrote:TJones and Lawson for Kieff and Teletovic.

Lawson fills in for the rest of the season for Bledsoe plus they get Jones who could be their long term 4. HOU gets two 4's with range like they want. Plus both teams lose headaches.

Bentley1225 wrote:
However, I think Houston makes the most sense. Lawson and Jones for Morris and Teletovic seems ideal for both sides.

The Rockets already have two fours with range.

Houston's offer would probably be Brewer for Morris straight up.

A bad contract for a slightly less bad contract with a better attitude.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#25 » by Troubadour » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:VIA Cowology

I think this works out pretty well for everyone.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,667

Post#26 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:49 pm

Troubadour wrote:

Phoenix gets Calderon for Markieff? I'm not seeing it for them.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,216

Post#27 » by bondom34 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:57 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Troubadour wrote:

Yeah, Galloway for Kieff sounds closer, if they're eating Calderon it should probably be Galloway and a small incentive.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,855

Post#28 » by the_process » Sat Jan 2, 2016 2:15 am

LarsV8 wrote:

Lawson fills in for the rest of the season for Bledsoe plus they get Jones who could be their long term 4. HOU gets two 4's with range like they want. Plus both teams lose headaches.

Bentley1225 wrote:

You guys are not going to pay Jones anyway. And Lawson has been a problem. So you get Kieff locked in at a decent number, and who should straighten up once he gets what he wants and leaves PHX. Teletovic is expiring.
Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Post#29 » by Fattz » Sat Jan 2, 2016 2:48 am

LarsV8 wrote:

Bentley1225 wrote:

So true but think..

Brewer & Jones ( PLUS a 2nd if needed)
For
Morris and Goodwin

The Suns will need a big back and Rockets bet a combo gaurd that looks like a good fit with Harden.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#30 » by LarsV8 » Sat Jan 2, 2016 6:41 am

oyoyer wrote:You guys are not going to pay Jones anyway.

So? Frankly I would rather keep him for a rental than give him away for nothing.

oyoyer wrote: And Lawson has been a problem.

He has been nothing of the sort.

He has struggled at the begining, but has been quite good lately.

oyoyer wrote: So you get Kieff locked in at a decent number, and who should straighten up once he gets what he wants and leaves PHX. Teletovic is expiring.

Yea, sorry Kieff is a terrible contract with multiple red flags

Even "straightened" out Kieff is not all that great.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 665

Post#31 » by SideSwipe » Sat Jan 2, 2016 6:49 am

LarsV8 wrote:
oyoyer wrote:You guys are not going to pay Jones anyway.

So? Frankly I would rather keep him for a rental than give him away for nothing.

oyoyer wrote: And Lawson has been a problem.

He has been nothing of the sort.

He has struggled at the begining, but has been quite good lately.

oyoyer wrote: So you get Kieff locked in at a decent number, and who should straighten up once he gets what he wants and leaves PHX. Teletovic is expiring.

Yea, sorry Kieff is a terrible contract with multiple red flags

Even "straightened" out Kieff is not all that great.

A straightened out Kieff would be the best 4 on your team. He has red flags, but despite his issues this season, he has proven well he can play. Something none of your 4's have proven at the same level. Not Jones, DMO, Capela or Harrell. Also unlike 2 out of the 4 guys there, he has stayed on the court and been very durable for his career. He has already said he would like HOU as a destination, and HOU has expressed interest. There is no indication that he wouldn't be motivated if he ever got there. Kieff just feels betrayed because he though he and Marcus were going to be calling PHX home for a long time.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#32 » by LarsV8 » Sat Jan 2, 2016 6:55 am

SideSwipe wrote:A straightened out Kieff would be the best 4 on your team.

Debatable. Dmo and Jones have been good. Capella blows him out of the water.

SideSwipe wrote:He has red flags, but despite his issues this season, he has proven well he can play.

He doesn't have red flags. Red flags indicate he might have problems. We are well past the red flags. We know he has problems, and big ones.

He has also proven how well he can be awful and a cancer.

SideSwipe wrote:Something none of your 4's have proven at the same level. Not Jones, DMO, Capela or Harrell. Also unlike 2 out of the 4 guys there, he has stayed on the court and been very durable for his career.

All of our fours, save Harrell, have shown they can be every bit as good, if not better than Morris. The only reason this is even discussed is because of contracts.

SideSwipe wrote:He has already said he would like HOU as a destination, and HOU has expressed interest. There is no indication that he wouldn't be motivated if he ever got there. Kieff just feels betrayed because he though he and Marcus were going to be calling PHX home for a long time.

Sure, we would love to take Morris off your hands, but it will cost you.

He simply has negative value.

Brewer for Morris is a gift.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 757

Where will Markieff Morris land? 

Post#33 » by A_dub06 » Sun Jan 3, 2016 12:42 pm

Without even discussing pieces and looking at the situation objectively, two issues immediately become apparent.

1) Markieff's production for his career is almost completely offset at this point by the red flags that have been displayed over the last few seasons. Any team trading for him is taking a risk as it is simply impossible to predict how he will respond playing for another team.

2) The argument that Phoenix can simply "pay him to stay home" as many Suns fans suggest is complete BS as the damage done to the reputation and perception of Phoenix's front office is far greater than the discrepancy in talent they would receive for Kieff. If Phoenix did that every free agent would choose not to sign there as it sends a very wrong message which is only magnified by the fact Goran Dragic even said he didn't want to resign there as he "didn't trust" the front office.

Markieff has shown he has value and can be a productive player, not many aside from the ignorant will deny this. But anyone actually believing teams will trade valued assets for him are either delusional or in denial because these issues are real despite who's at fault. Unless Phoenix are willing to get a new coach, make Kieff happy and play significant minutes where he's producing again there's zero chance Phoenix gets equal value. I doubt they need to throw in picks or other nice assets like Booker to trade him but the situation has soured o the point that teams are scarred to trade for him.

Now with everything discussed, my question to any Suns fans reading this would be the point illustrated in the second issue. Is the discrepancy between talent received from the player traded for Kieff REALLY worse than damaging the reputation of your team where players would be scared to sign there?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#34 » by hcsilla » Sun Jan 3, 2016 1:03 pm

I don't get this whole point.

So players would be scared to sign to Phoenix because if they are making multiple stupid mistakes then they have to take its consequences?

Doesn't like something that alienates anyone except headcases.
tradejunkie101
Junior
And1: 47

Post#35 » by tradejunkie101 » Sun Jan 3, 2016 1:19 pm

bondom34 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Troubadour wrote:

Yeah, Galloway for Kieff sounds closer, if they're eating Calderon it should probably be Galloway and a small incentive.

Markieff is on a longer deal than Calderon. Being able to get out of his contract 2 years earlier should be incentive enough.
2016 Trade Deadline Predictions

CHI-TOR: Gibson/Bairstow for Scola/Johnson/Bennett/2016 Raps 1st
NOP-TOR: Anderson/Perkins for Scola/Johnson/Bennett/2016 Raps 1st
PHX-DET: Keef for Meeks, 2016 Det 1st
PHX-LAC: Tucker for Lance/Wilcox/2016 Nets 2nd
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,118

Post#36 » by Kilo » Sun Jan 3, 2016 1:58 pm

Markieff might be heading to Josh Smith Stretch release territory. Nobody is going to give anything for him other than an equally bad contract of the same length OR they'll want a good young player or first rounder to take him with a lesser bad contract still heading to PHX as well. If they stretch released him it would be a 4.8M cap hit over the next five seasons.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#37 » by Higgs Boston » Sun Jan 3, 2016 2:23 pm

Markieff x jerebko + mickey + second round
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 656

Post#38 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sun Jan 3, 2016 2:53 pm

The Kings would make a perfect fit. Cousins, rondo and Morris all in the same locker room. This needs to happen with Karl as coach.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 757

Post#39 » by A_dub06 » Sun Jan 3, 2016 3:11 pm

hcsilla wrote:I don't get this whole point.

So players would be scared to sign to Phoenix because if they are making multiple stupid mistakes then they have to take its consequences?

Doesn't like something that alienates anyone except headcases.

Look at the facts...

The Morris twins signed well below market value deals at the time to stay on the same team. Said team then trades one twin without even consulting which even by itself shows a lack of care and respect towards a player. Remember, most fans only demand the players show loyalty to the team and not w other way around (see Kobe Bryan's extension). Goran Dragic also accused the Suns of being untrustworthy.

If your a star player, that may not deter you because you will be in demand everywhere. But if your simply a starter or role player this would impact you're perception of the front office and not many want to play for a team lacking stability and respect. furthermore, it's the agents that deal with contracts and as an agent they would not only want the most money for the player they represent but to also put them in the best situation to succeed. Why would an agent want to send a player to a team if they didn't trust the front office which has shown they will pay a player to simply stay home which would only drive down the prospective value of their next contract?

I'm a Pistons fan and this isn't he same as Josh smith, Smith is a complete boneheaded that has quite possibly the worst shots selection given his talents ever!

You can't honestly believe that this whole situation won't affect and if allowed to continue further damage the image of the Suns in agents eyes?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,951

Post#40 » by Fo-Real » Sun Jan 3, 2016 3:34 pm

People keep saying the same WRONG INFO. THEY did not sign below market deals, KIEF was underpaid. At the time Marcus was worth maybe 2-3 mil a year because he was a non factor bench SF playing behind PJ Tucker, and Kief per the market at the time was worth between maybe 10-11 mil. What the Suns did is factor the two deals (since the twins actually have the same bank accont), and come up with a single number, propose it to them and let them decide who made what as far as contract. The Twins decided to call it at 8 for Kief and 5 for Marcus. Now Marcus is paying much better and Kief is playing much worse, but at the time the split for how they were playing should have maybe been Kief making 10 and Marcus making 3 mil per year. Salaries were not what they are now when they signed. Get it straight, what they got paid was thier doing, the Suns let them set the value of each. Kief should be making 10 mil per year, Marcus should be making 3 and THATS IT!

Return to Trades and Transactions