Donovan Mitchell to the Nets, Lakers, Heat or Rockets?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Re: Donovan Mitchell to the Nets, Lakers, Heat or Rockets? 

Post#61 » by Mr Loggins » Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm

tidho wrote:
spree8 wrote:How is NY not included? What’s changed on the team since 2022 when he wanted to come here?

They acquired a guy that's better than Mitchell to fill the role Mitchell would have filled.

Mr Loggins wrote:mitchell’s best basketball fit is resigning with cleveland.

This is only true if he can push Garland out the door. No idea if he's got that kind of power or not.

listening to the podcasrs this am, the leak to Shams is being interpreted that CAA, Klutch and cavs are all on the same page: Mitchell resigns and Garland gets traded
Kiss of Death
Pro Prospect
And1: 845

Post#62 » by Kiss of Death » Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 pm

Rockets won’t give up much for a rental. I could see a picks based deal with the same type of offer they made for Bridges:
Landale, Jeff Green, Tate and the Brooklyn picks.

Some other teams would probably give up better players, so I doubt he ends up in Houston.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Post#63 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 2:14 pm

spree8 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
spree8 wrote:How is NY not included? What’s changed on the team since 2022 when he wanted to come here?

BK makes no sense if they trade Mikal for him. Donovan doesn’t just want to be in New York, he wants to compete for a title.

Bad fit plus the offers from NY won’t have much appeal in Cleveland.

Third team, and many believe he’d fit well including me. He’d also be a massive help in the event of another major injury… 2 years in a row we’ve been crushed by Randle being hurt.

Smooth32 wrote:

BK makes no sense if they trade Mikal for him. Donovan doesn’t just want to be in New York, he wants to compete for a title.

Because the Knicks have passed on him twice now and are about to head to the ECF without him.

I wouldn’t say we passed on him. Ainge’s price was too high two years ago, and it didn’t look like Cleveland was shopping him last summer. The goal is a title tho, not the ECF.

Ok, if you can find a 3rd team then go for it. I am not sure what NY is really comfortable giving up. I am not interested in their first round picks as they are all protected. NY's best chance is at the trade deadline when OG becomes trade eligible.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#64 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 2:16 pm

Kiss of Death wrote:Rockets won’t give up much for a rental. I could see a picks based deal with the same type of offer they made for Bridges:
Landale, Jeff Green, Tate and the Brooklyn picks.

Some other teams would probably give up better players, so I doubt he ends up in Houston.

This is true. If Houston, or any other team, views Mitchell as a rental then they won't be involved unless the offers from the non-rental teams are incredibly low.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,472

Post#65 » by spree8 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:40 pm

tidho wrote:

They acquired a guy that's better than Mitchell to fill the role Mitchell would have filled.

Donte or OG (whoever you’re referring to) aren't better than Mitchell cmon.
spree8
RealGM

Post#66 » by spree8 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:42 pm

DowJones wrote:
spree8 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
Bad fit plus the offers from NY won’t have much appeal in Cleveland.

Third team, and many believe he’d fit well including me. He’d also be a massive help in the event of another major injury… 2 years in a row we’ve been crushed by Randle being hurt.

Smooth32 wrote:

Because the Knicks have passed on him twice now and are about to head to the ECF without him.

I wouldn’t say we passed on him. Ainge’s price was too high two years ago, and it didn’t look like Cleveland was shopping him last summer. The goal is a title tho, not the ECF.

Ok, if you can find a 3rd team then go for it. I am not sure what NY is really comfortable giving up. I am not interested in their first round picks as they are all protected. NY's best chance is at the trade deadline when OG becomes trade eligible.

Their best chance is just finding a third team this summer that wants their assets (and no not all their picks are protected)
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 330

Post#67 » by JKiddy » Thu May 16, 2024 2:53 pm

Netaman wrote:
NYG wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Brooklyn has the ability to make the best offer. Whether they will remains another matter.

Also... I asked other Cavs fans but under the premise of Mitchell being traded, would you just rebuild?

I could see the Nets giving you all of their picks in the following deal...

Ingram (extended) and Mitchell to Nets

Claxton/Cam/Ingram/Bridges/Mitchell

Simmons, DFS, Cam Thomas, Schroder and all the Nets picks to Cavs

Mobley/DFS/Okoro/Thomas/Garland

Trae and Griffin to Pelicans

Center via McCollum Trade/Zion/Murphy/Jones/Trae

Jarrett Allen, LeVert, Nance Jr. and 3 unprotected 1sts via NOP to Hawks

Allen/Sarr/Jalen/Bogdan/Dejounte

Seems overly complex. Not sure Nets will want to sell the farm for Ingram either.

I think the Nets are going to be very in on Mitchell, but with 7 (or more?) tradeable FRPs will hold some for a next move more down the road.

One Net fan on the board had an interesting idea that if the Nets add Mitchell I think will come true because it's too funny not to.

1. Nets get Mitchell this summer without giving up all of the PHO picks (they have 4 left, 25, 27, 28 swap, 29).
2. Phoenix is still struggling at the deadline, Nets offer PHO their remaining picks back for KD.

In the NBA nowadays it seems like we can just imagine whatever the most absurd outcomes are and those are the ones that end up happening.

The Nets are not trading those picks back now. They are worth way more than an aging KD. If it was KD at 30 years old, maybe.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#68 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 2:58 pm

spree8 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Their best chance is just finding a third team this summer that wants their assets (and no not all their picks are protected)

What picks are unprotected?
What players will NY be willing to give up?

I don't see many appealing picks at NY's disposal and I don't think they would put any players of value on the table. It just makes it really tough to land someone like Mitchell.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,716

Post#69 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:22 pm

I think the Knicks ultimately end up with same problem Cleveland has which is that it's hard to realize all the added value when you pair him with Brunson. Instead of synergy, you get the whole being less than the sum of its parts.

From the Cavs perspective, I'd like to see a coaching change before I arrive at a final conclusion, but if I'm the team being asked to surrender real value to put myself into that position, I'm looking at the Cavs and passing.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
spree8
RealGM

Post#70 » by spree8 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:38 pm

DowJones wrote:
spree8 wrote:
DowJones wrote:

I don't see many appealing picks at NY's disposal and I don't think they would put any players of value on the table. It just makes it really tough to land someone like Mitchell.

For starters the #24 & #25 picks this year. Then our own future picks can be unprotected. Bucks pick is only protected 1-4.

The Pistons pick finishes at top 9 protected in 2027 and Wizards is top 8 in 2026. Pistons with 3 more season could be out of the lottery altogether and the Wizards in 2 more seasons have a good chance to be out of the top 8 imo. When you actually think about it, those picks have a good chance to convey (especially if you consider expansion teams being thrown into the lottery in the upcoming years) and possibly land a valuable player in a future draft.

As far as players, I think the FO would make Deuce, Mitch, and Boj all available along with those picks in a Donovan deal.

Dunno what 3rd team would be involved, but I can’t imagine it being impossible to put something together for Cleveland to seriously consider.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#71 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 3:46 pm

spree8 wrote:
DowJones wrote:
spree8 wrote:

For starters the #24 & #25 picks this year. Then our own future picks can be unprotected. Bucks pick is only protected 1-4.

The Pistons pick finishes at top 9 protected in 2027 and Wizards is top 8 in 2026. Pistons with 3 more season could be out of the lottery altogether and the Wizards in 2 more seasons have a good chance to be out of the top 8 imo. When you actually think about it, those picks have a good chance to convey (especially if you consider expansion teams being thrown into the lottery in the upcoming years) and possibly land a valuable player in a future draft.

As far as players, I think the FO would make Deuce, Mitch, and Boj all available along with those picks in a Donovan deal.

Dunno what 3rd team would be involved, but I can’t imagine it being impossible to put something together for Cleveland to seriously consider.

I don't have those Pistons and Wizards picks as having a ton of value. There is a chance they could be 2nd rounders when it is all said and done.

NY's own picks are the only thing they have that is unprotected and the Knicks will be loaded in 2025 and 2026 if they have Mitchell. So, for me the only valuable draft picks the Knicks have would be a 2029 and 2031 unprotected 1st. The players you mentioned also don't have much positive value. I sort of like Deuce but he is a backup guard.

NY's problem is they don't have any high upside first rounders to put on the table. That is why I think their only real shot is waiting until the trade deadline when they can offer OG.
spree8
RealGM

Post#72 » by spree8 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:49 pm

DowJones wrote:
spree8 wrote:
DowJones wrote:

I don't have those Pistons and Wizards picks as having a ton of value. There is a chance they could be 2nd rounders when it is all said and done.

NY's own picks are the only thing they have that is unprotected and the Knicks will be loaded in 2025 and 2026 if they have Mitchell. So, for me the only valuable draft picks the Knicks have would be a 2029 and 2031 unprotected 1st. The players you mentioned also don't have much positive value. I sort of like Deuce but he is a backup guard.

NY's problem is they don't have any high upside first rounders to put on the table. That is why I think their only real shot is waiting until the trade deadline when they can offer OG.

I couldn’t disagree any more (and explained why). Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. But NY isn’t trading OG for anyone (within reason).
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,085

Post#73 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 4:16 pm

JKiddy wrote:
Netaman wrote:
NYG wrote:
Also... I asked other Cavs fans but under the premise of Mitchell being traded, would you just rebuild?

I could see the Nets giving you all of their picks in the following deal...

Ingram (extended) and Mitchell to Nets

Claxton/Cam/Ingram/Bridges/Mitchell

Simmons, DFS, Cam Thomas, Schroder and all the Nets picks to Cavs

Mobley/DFS/Okoro/Thomas/Garland

Trae and Griffin to Pelicans

Center via McCollum Trade/Zion/Murphy/Jones/Trae

Jarrett Allen, LeVert, Nance Jr. and 3 unprotected 1sts via NOP to Hawks

Allen/Sarr/Jalen/Bogdan/Dejounte

Seems overly complex. Not sure Nets will want to sell the farm for Ingram either.

I think the Nets are going to be very in on Mitchell, but with 7 (or more?) tradeable FRPs will hold some for a next move more down the road.

One Net fan on the board had an interesting idea that if the Nets add Mitchell I think will come true because it's too funny not to.

1. Nets get Mitchell this summer without giving up all of the PHO picks (they have 4 left, 25, 27, 28 swap, 29).
2. Phoenix is still struggling at the deadline, Nets offer PHO their remaining picks back for KD.

In the NBA nowadays it seems like we can just imagine whatever the most absurd outcomes are and those are the ones that end up happening.

The Nets are not trading those picks back now. They are worth way more than an aging KD. If it was KD at 30 years old, maybe.

Probably true but would be hilarious if after everything he ended up back on nets against Boston/Milwaukee/Knicks just with Mitchell instead of Kyrie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JKiddy
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by JKiddy » Thu May 16, 2024 4:24 pm

If this happened it would be on 2K.

The Nets would have Mitchell, Cam Thomas, Bridges, Clowney, Claxton with Wilson, LW3, D Sharpe, on the bench and would win a title with that stacked squad.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,640

Post#75 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu May 16, 2024 8:49 pm

_GH0ST_ wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:Ownership was very bad during the Big 3 run. This is a bad situation for other stars to choose there.

Heat and Lakers are 1 star away from being the contenders and Heat has the best coaching staff in the league. Nets? There are a lot of question marks and Donovan has spent his career in such teams so far. I'd be surprised if he chooses the Nets because it's his hometown. Also, Miami and LA are dream cities and only 3 hours from Miami to NYC lol

How was ownership bad? You must know something I don’t. Please be specific.

Let’s be clear about what’s going to happen. Mitchell will not be choosing a team, he will be leaking a list of acceptable teams to Woj/Shams.

Will his list include Miami and LA exclusively, or it will it be the same as his previous one?

You can say whatever you want about the Nets, but if they’re on his list they will pursue him aggressively and can make the best offer.

I think I've been clear enough. The big 3 of KD, Kyrie and Harden were a huge flop. Ownership probably played a part in this failure lol

As I said in my first message, I think the Heat and Lakers have a better chance. If the Nets are on the list, they will definitely be aggressive. I just don't believe the Nets will be on the list. The Nets were one of the teams on his list a few years ago, but that team also included KD and Kyrie. He'll be 28 next season and I don't think he'll want any more risky adventures.

The flop was due to injuries and vaccination laws. Any blame on the owner is dishonest. He can’t change mayoral policy or ligament integrity.

We’ll see. The Mitchell to NY smoke has been too strong for there not to be a fire.

If he puts the Nets on his list then they basically get to decide if they want him or not by virtue of having the best offer.
JKiddy
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by JKiddy » Thu May 16, 2024 9:00 pm

I really like Mitchell.

But, we are not giving up Claxton. We are not giving up two of the Suns picks in 27/28/29. I would not give up Cam Thomas.

Bridges will obviously be paired with him.

If all of this occurs and we don't overpay then I am fine with it.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,717

Post#77 » by mademan » Thu May 16, 2024 9:01 pm

JKiddy wrote:I really like Mitchell.

But, we are not giving up Claxton. We are not giving up two of the Suns picks in 27/28/29. I would not give up Cam Thomas.

You want him for a dollar and a song? What are you giving up if all of this is off the table?
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,497

Post#78 » by Karmaloop » Thu May 16, 2024 9:04 pm

JKiddy wrote:I really like Mitchell.

What exactly are you offering if those are off the table for him?
JKiddy
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by JKiddy » Thu May 16, 2024 9:07 pm

I think the Nets pass on him if its too expensive.

I can see them giving up the massive expiring of Simmons or CamJo + DFS where they also attach 3 first rounders to it.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#80 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 9:18 pm

JKiddy wrote:I think the Nets pass on him if its too expensive.

I can see them giving up the massive expiring of Simmons or CamJo + DFS where they also attach 3 first rounders to it.

What 3 first rounders?

Return to Trades and Transactions