Miami / OKC - Beasley + Durant becomes 1-2 punch

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

dookieguy
Veteran
And1: 2

Miami / OKC - Beasley + Durant becomes 1-2 punch 

Post#1 » by dookieguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:31 pm

My 2nd Beasley trade. I realize Harris ain't a good fit for Miami, and PG is less of a concern.

Miami Sends:
Michael Beasley
James Jones
Daequan Cook

OKC Sends:
Jeff Green
Thabo Sefolosha
Eric Maynor

Why for MIAMI?
Jeff Green is very versatile and can do a lot of things. He can rebound, pass, score, all at a decent rate. IMO he's the perfect kind of unselfish and role-knowing 3rd option fit next to Wade and Bosh/Amare/Boozer. Thabo's a decent defender swingman and Eric Maynor's a good prospect PG; both would be a decent addition to Miami's depth.

They also shave a bit of salary.

Arroyo / Maynor / Chalmers
Wade / Thabo / Wright
Green / QRich / Wright
Max FA / Haslem
JO / Anthony / Magloire

Considering all the resigns, Miami would probably have to fill out the rest of the roster with vet mins (Raja Bell maybe?) and the 2 1st rounders. Draft Whiteside/Alabi and a decent PG and Miami's good to go.

Why for OKC?
Beasley and Durant have been best friends since they were 11. They've played alongside each other for a long time. The two would create a great 1-2 punch, each probably knows the other's game as well as their own. OKC also solves its PF problem, and just need to concentrate on getting a good C and they're on their way. They also get a vet backup in James Jones and a prospect in Cook.

They also allow Harden into the starting lineup with Thabo gone.

(sorry I don't really know OKC's roster yet)
Westbrook / Draft or FA?
Harden / Cook / Weaver
Durant / Jones
Beasley / Collison / White
Ibaka / Collison

With picks and lots of cap space to fill whatever holes.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Re: Miami / OKC - Beasley + Durant becomes 1-2 punch 

Post#2 » by Relentless88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 pm

OKC probably rejects, they give up a similar player in Green, but also 2 good young guys in Maynor/Thabo? Easy pass. One is a very good young PG, and the other is arguably the best perimeter defender in the league.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#3 » by Relentless88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Also Jones and Cook are not very good and Jones is on a bad salary.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#4 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:44 pm

Beasley wouldn't solve anything. He's a less efficient scorer than Jeff Green and a worse defender. All he does better is rebound.

No thanks.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#5 » by LApwnd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:44 pm

IMO Green is better fit, while both are playing out of position, Green seems to actually have advantages over slower PF, while I see Beasly having none.
dookieguy
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#6 » by dookieguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Relentless88 wrote:OKC probably rejects, they give up a similar player in Green, but also 2 good young guys in Maynor/Thabo? Easy pass. One is a very good young PG, and the other is arguably the best perimeter defender in the league.

wtf, really? I thought Thabo was neutral at best, he has like no offensive game whatsoever. Also considering he makes 3m. Any decent swingman who makes less would do, as long as Miami dumps Cook.

Or take out Maynor instead. He's not a great fit anyway.

slick_watts wrote:Beasley wouldn't solve anything. He's a less efficient scorer than Jeff Green and a worse defender. All he does better is rebound.

No thanks.

He's a better scorer and has more PF moves than Green. Could become a LOT better rebounder.

Beasley's not as bad a defender as his rep says. And, from what I know of Jeff Green, he's not really a good post defender anyway. And do you really want 6rpg from your PF?

LApwnd wrote:IMO Green is better fit, while both are playing out of position, Green seems to actually have advantages over slower PF, while I see Beasly having none.

Beasley has a good first step and is very good driving to the rim. I don't see why he wouldn't.

Basically, Beasley and Green are quite similar players, except that Beasley is more PF-inclined and Green is more SF-inclined (ironically, the 6-8 is naturally PF over the 6-9 guy lol).

Judging by how OKC needs a PF and Miami needs an SF, I don't see why the "fit" thing is an issue. I mean come on, Green will never be a longterm PF for OKC (6rpg from your PF is bad no matter what) and Beasley will never be a longterm SF for Miami.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#7 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:07 pm

The 'fit' is an issue because, despite what you're saying, Beasley is not a better scorer than Jeff Green. Beasley's TS% is barely over 50%, he's not that much more efficient than Russ Westbrook much less Jeff Green. Green is a tremendous hustle defender, he might get beat in the post sometimes, but is Beasley really going to help there?

The only area Beasley would help is rebounding, and it's marginal. He'd negatively affect our scoring and defensive gameplan; not to say anything about team chemistry. Green might be available for a front court upgrade, but Beasley does not fit the bill.

Return to Trades and Transactions