Sixers / Kings / Wolves

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Sixers / Kings / Wolves 

Post#1 » by sixerswillrule » Fri May 20, 2011 4:56 am

This is a revision of some ideas that have been floating around:

Philly
Iguodala, Speights, Brackins
for
#7 (Biyombo), Webster, Pekovic

Obtain a potential defensive stud and a couple solid young role players.

Sacramento
#7 (Biyombo), Casspi
for
Wes Johnson, Flynn, Brackins

Get their SF to provide defense and shooting and a young PG.

Minnesota
Wes Johnson, Webster, Pekovic, Flynn
for
Iguodala, Casspi, Speights

Trade for an elite defensive and playmaking wing and a couple talented young backups.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Re: Sixers / Kings / Wolves 

Post#2 » by OGSactownballer » Fri May 20, 2011 5:00 am

We need to drop the ideas that include Wes Johnson to Sac. It a non-starter. Look at the Sac roster. We have Garcia/Greene/Casspi at the SF apot already and at least two other guys who can and will take up minutes there. I can't see where Johnson cracks the rotation to get minutes right now so his value is very low here.
LPKingsFan
Starter
And1: 0

Post#3 » by LPKingsFan » Fri May 20, 2011 5:27 am

OGSactownballer wrote:We need to drop the ideas that include Wes Johnson to Sac. It a non-starter. Look at the Sac roster. We have Garcia/Greene/Casspi at the SF apot already and at least two other guys who can and will take up minutes there. I can't see where Johnson cracks the rotation to get minutes right now so his value is very low here.

While I agree that the Kings shouldn't be trading for depth, are you content with that SF rotation? I certainly am not.
LPKingsFan
Starter
And1: 0

Post#4 » by LPKingsFan » Fri May 20, 2011 5:29 am

OP: the value's fine for Sacramento, but in the end I'd probably just rather use our assets for Iggy himself.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#5 » by KF10 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:33 am

LPKingsFan wrote:OP: the value's fine for Sacramento, but in the end I'd probably just rather use our assets for Iggy himself.

I rather go this route myself.

To me, you go from offering this type of package for Iggy to Wesley Johnson, something is not right. :lol:
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#6 » by sixerswillrule » Fri May 20, 2011 5:35 am

I suppose the Wolves could be cut out, but it sounded like more Wolves fans were in favor of trading for Iguodala than Kings fans.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#7 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri May 20, 2011 6:12 am

Kings say hell to the yeah.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#8 » by Foshan » Fri May 20, 2011 6:14 am

LPKingsFan wrote:OP: the value's fine for Sacramento, but in the end I'd probably just rather use our assets for Iggy himself.

I think this is a significantly better move for Sac. My 3yr old can steal the ball from Johnson or at least make him dribble it off his foot, and Flynn isn't much of a good play-maker if I remember correctly. Iguodala significantly helps Sac's turnover problems.

Again, Philly only does it if the big they want is available at that spot.

Iggy + (50?)--> #7 + Casspi
jakej26
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#9 » by jakej26 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:15 am

I say cut SAC out of that deal. Rather bring Wes and Flynn to Philly. Wesley Johnson would be an ideal young small forward to develop alongside Jrue and Turner due to his great shooting ability and athleticism.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#10 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri May 20, 2011 6:17 am

OGSactownballer wrote:We need to drop the ideas that include Wes Johnson to Sac. It a non-starter. Look at the Sac roster. We have Garcia/Greene/Casspi at the SF apot already and at least two other guys who can and will take up minutes there. I can't see where Johnson cracks the rotation to get minutes right now so his value is very low here.

And Wes Johnson has more potential than all of them combined, plus Casspi is going out in the deal anyway. He has the chance to be an excellent defender, a deep range shooter, and would be a great fit next to Tyreke and Thornton. You add in Flynn to that and I'm taking that over #7 and Casspi. It's tough to pass up on who might be available at 7 for sure, but Johnson could be the answer to a lot of needs at the SF spot for the next 10 years.

Cut Minny out of the deal and it's probably a must take deal for Sac too, but I still think Johnson has some major fit potential with the Kings.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#11 » by KF10 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:21 am

Johnson has been a disappointment this year. He couldn't even fill in his role correctly for the worst team in the L! Minny fans would agree here.

Johnson is a bonafide career role player. LOL @ his potential. Give me Iggy over Johnson 10/10 times.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#12 » by Foshan » Fri May 20, 2011 7:35 am

jakej26 wrote:I say cut SAC out of that deal. Rather bring Wes and Flynn to Philly. Wesley Johnson would be an ideal young small forward to develop alongside Jrue and Turner due to his great shooting ability and athleticism.

I had that same idea before the last draft, but having seen Johnson play a few times, I don't think he'd be that good of a fit. While he is athletic, he doesn't seem to be aggressive enough to make it that much of a benefit... It's not the take it down the lane and dunk over you athleticism, its the 'look i jump real high on my spot up and run real fast' Add that to the fact that he's got an awful handle and I think your looking at a guy who's ceiling is T.Young... who we obviously already have, and not someone I'd trade Iggy for.

Flynn would have absolutely no role in Philly being buried on the depth chart behind Jrue/Lou/Turner when it comes to ball handling responsibilities.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#13 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 am

KF10 wrote:Johnson has been a disappointment this year. He couldn't even fill in his role correctly for the worst team in the L! Minny fans would agree here.

Johnson is a bonafide career role player. LOL @ his potential. Give me Iggy over Johnson 10/10 times.

Maybe so, but he has the potential to provide all the things needed at the SF spot for the Kings, which as it happens to be are...uh...role player things?

And what role was that? I watched many games where he was playing out of position at SG and didn't really have much of a shot in the offense regardless. It was pretty well known that he probably didn't have the individual scoring ability needed to play SG. In Sac he would be surrounded by more than enough scoring options and could be free to use his energy defensively individually or as weakside help, and on offense stand at the 3 point line waiting to catch and shoot and/or crash the boards. Igoudala is more of a sure thing now, but it comes with a price tag, not to mention that Johnson is going to fill that role of floor spreader better than Igoudala will. Either is a good choice, but to simply write of Johnson, who probably isn't in the right situation for him is premature and shortsighted IMO.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by KF10 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:23 am

A lot of Minny fans expected him to do better than posting 9/3/2 as a starter. He was known to be, before the draft, one of the most NBA-ready players of his class. He sure didn't act like it.

Sure, I can give you that Johnson did a decent job @ shooting the 3 and defended ok but I don't think he will be that good of a player anyways. Dude is going to be 24 years old in the summer. He doesn't have a lot of upside to begin with.

The Kings need a competent ball handler/creator @ the SF position. Johnson does not provide that.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#15 » by shangrila » Fri May 20, 2011 11:56 am

KF10 wrote:A lot of Minny fans expected him to do better than posting 9/3/2 as a starter. He was known to be, before the draft, one of the most NBA-ready players of his class. He sure didn't act like it.

Well, it might have had something to do with being thrown into a new position and basically a role player's role.

When you think about it, getting moved to SG took away almost EVERYTHING that draft sites put as NBA ready. He couldn't rebound because he was chasing around the perimeter. Ditto with his blocks. His offence went from cuts, transition baskets and post ups to spotting up and...well, spotting up. His defence went from smothering forwards to sprinting after smaller guys. He was mis-managed from the start, really.

I'm not commenting on the trade, just on this issue in general. While I'm not trying to deny he had a disappointing season I think it's insane for people to assume this is as good as he's ever going to be after everything is taken into consideration.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#16 » by doctor him » Fri May 20, 2011 11:42 pm

IMHO...I think the evaluation of rookies is weighted too heavily. People think that if someone has a good rookie year they're going to Springfield and if they have a disappointing one they'll be out of the league in 3 years.

Usually all players end up somewhere in the middle.

All I want to see from a rookie is some semblance of NBA level skills in some areas, the ability to adjust to how they are attacked and a decent level of improvement in the offseasons for the first couple years. System, adjusting to an 82 game schedule, living as a pro, the level of athleticism and competition and a bunch of other factors are against these 19-22 year old kids.

People seem to think that every high pick is supposed to be Blake Griffin and anything less than domination on a nightly basis is some portion of a disaster.

Truthfully, I don't think you can really tell what a player is going to be until he starts his 3rd season with the exception of the extreme cases on either end.
lewdog
Rookie
And1: 88

Post#17 » by lewdog » Sat May 21, 2011 2:15 am

doctor him wrote:Truthfully, I don't think you can really tell what a player is going to be until he starts his 3rd season with the exception of the extreme cases on either end.

Or unless you've been drafted by David Kahn.
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,145

Post#18 » by GopherIt! » Sun May 22, 2011 12:59 am

KF10 wrote:Johnson has been a disappointment this year. He couldn't even fill in his role correctly for the worst team in the L! Minny fans would agree here.

I would totally disagree with this. Johnson was asked to play SG this year when he was practically a PF in college. That's a big transition. It takes time to learn a new position. He's a good shooter, showed promise on defense and is very athletic. Plus his biggest issue (creating his own shot) will be fixed once Minny gets a real PG.

The real LOL is how rarely Johnson haters offer any insight into his rookie season.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun May 22, 2011 3:55 am

KF10 wrote:A lot of Minny fans expected him to do better than posting 9/3/2 as a starter. He was known to be, before the draft, one of the most NBA-ready players of his class. He sure didn't act like it.

Sure, I can give you that Johnson did a decent job @ shooting the 3 and defended ok but I don't think he will be that good of a player anyways. Dude is going to be 24 years old in the summer. He doesn't have a lot of upside to begin with.

The Kings need a competent ball handler/creator @ the SF position. Johnson does not provide that.

While it would be a nice skill to add the roster as a whole that's not true at all. How many "ball handlers" can one team have on the floor at one time? Evans, Thornton, and Cousins alone is pushing it.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#20 » by Cruel_Ruin » Sun May 22, 2011 4:17 am

As a Kings fan, I would rather have Wes Johnson than Iggy. The Kings don't need another ball handler at the 3 spot, they have Tyreke at PG and Thornton at SG who both need ther touches, plus Cousins who needs his touches at the C postion. The SF is going to be a spot up shooter, cutter, and defender, which I think Wes would be ideal at.

I liked Wes before the draft as a Shawn Marion type, he's not going to show his potential at the SG spot. His rookie year was basically a wash in my opinion; there are no real creators on the Wolves for him to play off of, plus playing out of position must have messed with his rhythem.

Essentially, I would trade #7 for Wes in a heartbeat.

Return to Trades and Transactions