Lakers/Cavs

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

hoops_32
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Lakers/Cavs 

Post#1 » by hoops_32 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Lakers Trade:Metta World Peace
Lakers Get:Pick #31

Why for the Lakers?
Lakers currently only have pick #48 in this years draft having traded their 1st round pick last offseason to get Nash. The #31 pick is the first pick of the second round and is basically like a 1st round pick.

Cavs Trade:Pick #31
Cavs Get:Metta World Peace

Why for the Cavs?
Cavs need a SF and have 4 of the top 33 picks in this years draft and could use one of them to get a SF. They are interested in Pierce but MWP is cheaper and would give them more money to spend in free agency. Also MWP is familiar with Mike Brown having played for him in Indiana and LA.
CLEbland
Sophomore
And1: 82

Re: Lakers/Cavs 

Post#2 » by CLEbland » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Cavs say no.

31 is more valuable as a trade asset - maybe as a pick itself, rather than having to pay MWP to make a minimal difference.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,195

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:09 pm

hoops_32 wrote:Lakers Trade:Metta World Peace
Lakers Get:Pick #31

Why for the Lakers?
Lakers currently only have pick #48 in this years draft having traded their 1st round pick last offseason to get Nash. The #31 pick is the first pick of the second round and is basically like a 1st round pick.

Cavs Trade:Pick #31
Cavs Get:Metta World Peace

Why for the Cavs?
Cavs need a SF and have 4 of the top 33 picks in this years draft and could use one of them to get a SF. They are interested in Pierce but MWP is cheaper and would give them more money to spend in free agency. Also MWP is familiar with Mike Brown having played for him in Indiana and LA.

How many years are on MWP's I might get amnestyed anyway's contract?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
hoops_32
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#4 » by hoops_32 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:15 pm

MWP is an expiring contract
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#5 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Cavs say no
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#6 » by BossHoggin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:27 pm

:rofl2:
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,195

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 pm

hoops_32 wrote:MWP is an expiring contract

Would the Laker's agree to pay for his meds?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jpsteven
Junior
And1: 13

Post#8 » by jpsteven » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:37 pm

I needed a laugh today. I just hope to God that wasn't a serious proposal though because that would just be sad
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,069

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:55 pm

The Cavs are looking for a veteran SF to be a leader by example to their young guys. I don't think they want a crazy guy to come in and taint and poison their young guys, while also likely causing friction with management.

There's no Kobe in Cleveland to keep him in check.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#10 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 pm

MWP probably is only tradeable to like 4 teams in the league . Cavs wouldn't be one of them.
BlackFalconGSW
Banned User
And1: 346

Post#11 » by BlackFalconGSW » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:42 pm

jpsteven wrote:I needed a laugh today.

+1 :lol:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:MWP probably is only tradeable to like 4 teams in the league . Cavs wouldn't be one of them.

Boston, Brooklyn, Miami, and NY.

Boston is only possible if the Celtics keep Pierce and KG and make a last run, though with Doc gone, that is a likely no, and one team off the list.

Brooklyn seems to be ok with accumulating expensive guys, though at a certain point, it would be cheaper for LA to simply amnesty MWP. However, maybe a Nash/MWP for Hump/filler deal?

Miami may want some bulk that Artest could provide. There's really nothing that LA would want, though, that would keep their 2014 cap space alive.

Knicks, it's hard making a deal work. If Kidd hadn't yet retired, I could see a Kidd/Camby for Artest, with Kidd then retiring. Hard to convince the NBA to approve it now since Kidd has already been named a head coach elsewhere.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager

Post#13 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:MWP probably is only tradeable to like 4 teams in the league . Cavs wouldn't be one of them.

Boston, Brooklyn, Miami, and NY.

Boston is only possible if the Celtics keep Pierce and KG and make a last run, though with Doc gone, that is a likely no, and one team off the list.

Brooklyn seems to be ok with accumulating expensive guys, though at a certain point, it would be cheaper for LA to simply amnesty MWP. However, maybe a Nash/MWP for Hump/filler deal?

Miami may want some bulk that Artest could provide. There's really nothing that LA would want, though, that would keep their 2014 cap space alive.

Knicks, it's hard making a deal work. If Kidd hadn't yet retired, I could see a Kidd/Camby for Artest, with Kidd then retiring. Hard to convince the NBA to approve it now since Kidd has already been named a head coach elsewhere.

I feel that MWP is a better stretch 4 and post defender at this point in his career than he is a 3. He isn't the idea 3 point shooter to be a stretch 4 but makes enough to keep a defense honest. Playing in the east he could any 4 that is likely to make the playoffs. My list is pretty similar minus Miami.

If the Pierce market dries up, I could see MWP + Blake + incentive for Pierce. Boston gets back up point needed and smaller expirings that would be easier to ship if they want. Lakers get a rental of Pierce. Doesn't really help the Lakers youth and perimeter defense though. Not the perfect trade for either team.

Could see Chicago using him as a stretch 4 / back up 3 if they can unload Boozer to a 3rd team. Would give them an additional body to throw at LeBron in the playoffs while keeping up their defense identity .
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#14 » by NashtyNas » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 pm

[quote="Wasabi_JohnsonI feel that MWP is a better stretch 4 and post defender at this point in his career than he is a 3. He isn't the idea 3 point shooter to be a stretch 4 but makes enough to keep a defense honest. Playing in the east he could any 4 that is likely to make the playoffs. My list is pretty similar minus Miami.

If the Pierce market dries up, I could see MWP + Blake + incentive for Pierce. Boston gets back up point needed and smaller expirings that would be easier to ship if they want. Lakers get a rental of Pierce. Doesn't really help the Lakers youth and perimeter defense though. Not the perfect trade for either team.

Could see Chicago using him as a stretch 4 / back up 3 if they can unload Boozer to a 3rd team. Would give them an additional body to throw at LeBron in the playoffs while keeping up their defense identity .[/quote]

No way Boston trades Pierce for Artest + Blake - they'd rather buy him out for $5m than be stuck paying $10m to Artest and Blake (common sense...).

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager

Post#15 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:31 pm

I_Socrates wrote:
No way Boston trades Pierce for Artest + Blake - they'd rather buy him out for $5m than be stuck paying $10m to Artest and Blake (common sense...).

Sure, if Boston 100% sold on buying out Pierce no reason to make the deal. But nothing has showed that they are 100% certain to buy him out. Not like they have all season to buy him out. They have 5 days to make a choice. If Celtics do they want to contend this year, buying out pierce doesn't make much sense. Still will be over the cap over the cap or right at it. Will have a hole in their starting lineup which conservatively would probably cost 3 million to fix and still would need a backup PG.

Artest+Blake allows to sneak under the tax line. Gives them them a back up PG and a trade exception if they want to go back to the tax. If they don't want Blake, he probably could be moved to a team with extra cap space in need of a back up PG for little incentive.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#16 » by Jase » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Cavs don't do this, but if they were interested, then LA should scoop this up as soon as humanly possible.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,072

Post#17 » by tidho » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:43 am

You'd have to compensate the Cavalier for taking on MWP's contract.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#18 » by tviper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:59 am

No reason for CLE to trade for MWP now. He is the most likely candidate for amnesty, and even if by some miracle he isn't waived via amnesty provision, CLE can trade for him in mid-July.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 am

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:

Sure, if Boston 100% sold on buying out Pierce no reason to make the deal. But nothing has showed that they are 100% certain to buy him out. Not like they have all season to buy him out. They have 5 days to make a choice. If Celtics do they want to contend this year, buying out pierce doesn't make much sense. Still will be over the cap over the cap or right at it. Will have a hole in their starting lineup which conservatively would probably cost 3 million to fix and still would need a backup PG.

Artest+Blake allows to sneak under the tax line. Gives them them a back up PG and a trade exception if they want to go back to the tax. If they don't want Blake, he probably could be moved to a team with extra cap space in need of a back up PG for little incentive.

Or... Boston could just waive Pierce, and draft an Artest substitute at 16 while saving $7m, rather than swapping Pierce for Artest and Blake.

Seriously, the Celts would either keep Pierce or waive him. They're not going to downgrade to Artest and swallow Blake just to still toe the tax line.

Return to Trades and Transactions