Lance Stephenson's trade value

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,456

Lance Stephenson's trade value 

Post#1 » by Lost Angel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:48 pm

i'm really curious. i've seen some people rate him highly while others dont think he's any good at all.

just to start discussion, is Lance Stephenson worth Ramon Sessions + future pic?

more or less?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,908

Re: Lance Stephenson's trade value 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:03 pm

If that future pick is a first, no.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,069

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1257580

Discussed up until about 2 days ago on this forum...
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#4 » by 8305 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:If that future pick is a first, no.

So take out Sessions and continue with this in Cleveland terms.
A. Pick 19
B. Pick 31 and 33
C. Pick 33
D. None of the above

Fwiw I think Stephenson is more a player than Waiters. Bigger, stronger, better rebounder and defender. Not saying he's better in every way but, on the same contract I doubt if most Pacer fans would do a straight Stephenson/ Waiters trade
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 am

8305 wrote:

A. Pick 19
B. Pick 31 and 33
C. Pick 33
D. None of the above

Fwiw I think Stephenson is more a player than Waiters. Bigger, stronger, better rebounder and defender. Not saying he's better in every way but, on the same contract I doubt if most Pacer fans would do a straight Stephenson/ Waiters trade

We'd be silly not to. Waiters is going to be a VERY good offensive talent. Obviously, Lance is a much better defender and rebounder, but Waiters could be special on offense.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#6 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 am

8305 wrote:

A. Pick 19
B. Pick 31 and 33
C. Pick 33
D. None of the above

Probably B, but I don't think thats worth a whole lot less then 19. As for the whole Waiters thing, I don't like Waiters at all, but I think you're wrong. Not sure, but I'm guessing you have to be a Pacers fan. I'm a big Cincy fan so I have a higher opinion of Stephenson then a lot of people, especially coming out of college, but his potential is a role player. On top of that he's 1 year away from getting a new contract. I think you overrate his value as a player and as a "value" player.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by 8305 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 am

I get that his value has to be discounted because of changing contract conditions. You also have the knucklehead factor that has gotten a lot of run on the Pacer board recently.

He could implode some day and I wouldn't be shocked. But, if he keeps himself together he could be an Andre Iguadala type role player

Am I missing something on Waiters? I thought he was a reach in last year's draft. He was able to score before the year was over but, as a two isn't he a little undersized? Is there a position he can defend?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#8 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:18 am

8305 wrote:He could implode some day and I wouldn't be shocked. But, if he keeps himself together he could be an Andre Iguadala type role player

And to that I'd say you're nuts.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:24 am

8305 wrote:I get that his value has to be discounted because of changing contract conditions. You also have the knucklehead factor that has gotten a lot of run on the Pacer board recently.

He could implode some day and I wouldn't be shocked. But, if he keeps himself together he could be an Andre Iguadala type role player

Am I missing something on Waiters? I thought he was a reach in last year's draft. He was able to score before the year was over but, as a two isn't he a little undersized? Is there a position he can defend?

He's an undersized, ball dominant 2 guard that is best with the ball in his hands. However, he's a dynamite scorer. His defense is iffy, at best, right now, but has the potential to be better. Mostly, he'd be best guarding PG's. I don't think he's a great match long-term with Kyrie. He'd be GREAT with a taller PG, like a Vasquez.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,017

Post#10 » by ejftw » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:48 am

Lance + G. Green for Hill's expirer + W. Green + 2nd?
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by 8305 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:48 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
8305 wrote:He could implode some day and I wouldn't be shocked. But, if he keeps himself together he could be an Andre Iguadala type role player

And to that I'd say you're nuts.

Ok, maybe a little strong but which skill set have I misidentified.

Excellent handle
Ability to get to the basket
Lockdown defender
Creative passer
Suspect shooter

Lance hasn't put all those skills together on a consistent yet but, in the playoffs you began to see the possibility.
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by 8305 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:52 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:I get that his value has to be discounted because of changing contract conditions. You also have the knucklehead factor that has gotten a lot of run on the Pacer board recently.

He's an undersized, ball dominant 2 guard that is best with the ball in his hands. However, he's a dynamite scorer. His defense is iffy, at best, right now, but has the potential to be better. Mostly, he'd be best guarding PG's. I don't think he's a great match long-term with Kyrie. He'd be GREAT with a taller PG, like a Vasquez.

Trying to think of a comparable, Ben Gordon?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:05 am

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Trying to think of a comparable, Ben Gordon?

Possibly, but with a chance to be a better ball handler/combo guard and he's on a rookie contract for 3 more years.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 am

ejftw wrote:Lance + G. Green for Hill's expirer + W. Green + 2nd?

So, Lance to dump GGreen for nothing? Big pass.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,017

Post#15 » by ejftw » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 am

Didn't think so...just thought it was worth a shot.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#16 » by NashtyNas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 am

Let's get 2 things straight:
A) Just because Iggy doesn't score like LeBron or Durant does not mean he's a "role player" (quotations because everyone fills a role and can therefore be considered a "role player")
B) Stephenson will never be as good as Iggy. He doesn't have the mental capacity to be the type of smart, calculated player that Iggy is.

Stephenson is extremely valuable to Indy because he excels at all the little things and is on a cheap contract - much like all the other 3&D wings on all the other teams - no one is giving up the sort of value Indy would be looking for in a trade.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas

Return to Trades and Transactions