Teague to HOU

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Teague to HOU 

Post#1 » by parson » Sun Jan 5, 2014 11:54 pm

Desperation deal here. ATL sends Jeff Teague, Elton Brand and Gustavo Ayon to HOU for Asik and Lin.

ATL does it to fill a major need without creating a new hole. The Hawks may be the darlings of the 6ft and under league but they're not suited for the NBA. They need size.

HOU does it because Teague is better all around, on offense, as a true PG, and slightly better on defense. Plus, with a legitimate shotblocker behind him, Teague's great stealing ability will be magnified.

ATL takes on major salary but gains a chance to remain 3rd in the East. Next year, when Horford comes back, they'll have the talent to make real noise. Many folks think the Hawks have been planning to trade Teague, anyway, to make room for Shröder. When Lin's contract expires, the Hawks can just let him go.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,337

Re: Teague to HOU 

Post#2 » by DK-All Day » Sun Jan 5, 2014 11:57 pm

Terrible for ATL.
Handsome.
parson
RealGM

Post#3 » by parson » Sun Jan 5, 2014 11:59 pm

DK-All Day wrote:Terrible for ATL.

Yep. Maybe I should ask for picks but I didn't want to seem like the homer.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,887

Post#4 » by LarsV8 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:01 am

Terrible for Atlanta? LOL

Teague is slightly better than Lin at best, but has a contract way to long. I wouldn't swap Lin for Teague as a stand alone.

And then on top of that its Asik for Ayon/Brand, which is just silly.

This is an easy no. Nothing here for the Rockets.
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Post#5 » by Big Jaffa » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:01 am

Atlanta says no, deal kills their flexibility going forward and I don't think they sacrifice that for the privilege of getting knocked out in the second by Ind or Miami.

Right now, Atlanta feels like Houston pre Harden trade, they're not going to make these marginal moves to no man's land, they'll hold on to their assets (Milsap/Teague/Brooklyn pick) and see if they can swing a trade for a star.
Rip City
parson
RealGM

Post#6 » by parson » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:09 am

LarsV8 wrote:Teague is slightly better than Lin at best, but has a contract way to long. I wouldn't swap Lin for Teague as a stand alone.

I just wanted to quote this before you wake up and realize what you've said (On the other hand, that's not likely, is it?).

Listen, I understand your reticence. Morey's a genius whose Jedi mind control powers have the other GMs in the NBA in fast retreat. You should hold out for Asik for Millsap and the BKN pick.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,337

Post#7 » by DK-All Day » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:09 am

LarsV8 wrote:Terrible for Atlanta? LOL

Teague is slightly better than Lin at best, but has a contract way to long. I wouldn't swap Lin for Teague as a stand alone.

And then on top of that its Asik for Ayon/Brand, which is just silly.

This is an easy no. Nothing here for the Rockets.

What team is willing to pay Lin and Asik 30 million dollars next year? Not the Hawks.

Jeff Teague should be a All-Star in the East. No need to downgrade from Lin to Teague. Asik for Ayon/Brand is one-sided but the Hawks need depth with Horford out for the year.
Handsome.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#8 » by dms269 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:21 am

I'm confused as to what the major hole that Atlanta fills with this trade is?

I mean it can't be center with Asik still out and reports not being that positive about his return.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using RealGM Forums mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
parson
RealGM

Post#9 » by parson » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:28 am

There you go, finding the hole in my logic. I guess I'm believing the rumors that Asik's knee problems will vanish if he's traded.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#10 » by red96 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:30 am

What makes Teague a class above Lin? Really, what does he do much better than Lin this year? Absolutely nothing. I've never been a Lin fan but he's past hype has made him under rated. Lin and Teague numbers are nearly identical besides Lin being the better scorer while being much more efficient. And Lin isn't bad defensively either.

Lin TS%.608 efg%.544 3pfg%.373 fg% .479
JT TS%.521 efg%.451 3pfg%.275 fg%.425

Lin Offensive rtg.111 Defensive rtg.109
JT Offensive rtg. 104 Defensive rtg. 107

Why does Houston need Teague again?Houston doesn't consider this trade.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Br0ken_Sp0ke
Rookie
And1: 745

Post#11 » by Br0ken_Sp0ke » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:35 am

Lin is so much more efficient than Teague and I reckon the assist numbers would be a lot closer if Lin was the primary playmaker at all times like Teague is.

Yeah, there is really no way the Rockets would consider taking on Teague's two extra years for a marginal (if that) upgrade.
baki wrote:Robinson and Olajuwon are about equal, but I'd give Robinson the edge for being far more critical to the team's success than Olajuwon was.

baki wrote:I'm not sure if Harden is really that much better than Lin.

baki wrote:I call everything as I see it and I'm always right
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#12 » by LarsV8 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:36 am

parson wrote:I just wanted to quote this before you wake up and realize what you've said (On the other hand, that's not likely, is it?).

Listen, I understand your reticence. Morey's a genius whose Jedi mind control powers have the other GMs in the NBA in fast retreat. You should hold out for Asik for Millsap and the BKN pick.

Let me clarify - I wouldn't do it because of the contracts. We need our cap space for 2015. Although it bears mention that statistically Lin has outperformed Teague this year, but that is not important.

We are holding out for Milsap and the pick! Give it too us!

DK-All Day wrote:
What team is willing to pay Lin and Asik 30 million dollars next year? Not the Hawks.

Jeff Teague should be a All-Star in the East. No need to downgrade from Lin to Teague. Asik for Ayon/Brand is one-sided but the Hawks need depth with Horford out for the year.

Great, keep him!
red96
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by red96 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:47 am

LarsV8 wrote:
parson wrote:I just wanted to quote this before you wake up and realize what you've said (On the other hand, that's not likely, is it?).

Let me clarify - I wouldn't do it because of the contracts. We need our cap space for 2015. Although it bears mention that statistically Lin has outperformed Teague this year, but that is not important.

We are holding out for Milsap and the pick! Give it too us!

DK-All Day wrote:

Great, keep him!
Let the Hawks keep them all. And if Teague is a worthy all-star this year, so is Lin.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#14 » by Mr. E » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:48 am

parson wrote:There you go, finding the hole in my logic. I guess I'm believing the rumors that Asik's knee problems will vanish if he's traded.

Despite popular opinion, I think that it is becoming more and more clear that Asik's injury is legitimate. He knows that Morey has a very high opinion of his value, and that if he wants his request to be traded honored then he needs to play to better his value. Morey is not going to let him go for anything less than what he believes (note: he believes) is fair value.

As for this deal - I do not think that Houston does it. The primary reason is Teague's contract. The cap hit for him and Lin (very important to Houston) is virtually identical for this season and next season; but then it goes on for an additional two seasons. That right there is the killer on the deal. Comparing the skill of Lin & Teague is not too big a consideration because of that.

It's a nice attempt, but I think that if you reconsider with contracts and injuries that neither team would go for it.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
parson
RealGM

Post#15 » by parson » Mon Jan 6, 2014 2:33 am

LarsV8 wrote:Let me clarify - I wouldn't do it because of the contracts. We need our cap space for 2015. Although it bears mention that statistically Lin has outperformed Teague this year, but that is not important

You got me on the contract issue. I'd forgotten about that. Having Teague would mean giving up your dreams of a major FA, in 2015.

But to compare a true PG who's the first option and carries his team to a backup who's - at best - the 4th option on his team is a bit homerish. Teague runs the Hawks; Lin profits from his surroundings.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#16 » by LarsV8 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:12 am

I am really not interested in debating the merits of two average/below average starting PG's. They are in the same tier, top 13-20. Needless to say I am not in love with either one.

Any deal with Atlanta/Houston, has Milsap coming here. If Atlanta is not interested in Asik for Milsap straight up, that's fine, but thats really all there is.

You want to send Milsap here, take Asik/Lin, and then ship Teague (or Lin) to a third for a different piece, maybe that works, I don't know, but if you seriously thought asking for Lin/Asik/picks as a cost for Teague...well I am not sure you are going to ever find something that makes you happy.
parson
RealGM

Post#17 » by parson » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:37 am

If you think Teague's "below average" , wow.

As for Millsap, he's become way too valuable. Despite y'all's protestations, it's becoming more and more clear that the $30 million is a very big deal. The Hawks and the Celtics may be the only teams willing to pay Asik. And, if the rumors are true, the Bulls may be the only team willing to pay Lin.
red96
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by red96 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:42 am

Wasn't Teague the 3rd option for the Hawks before Horford got injured? And yes, Lin plays for a better team but he's also had many of his best games when our best players (Harden) are out. Either way, Lin is a far more efficient player offensively and slightly worse on defense in comparison to Teague. I disliked the overhype that was "LINSANITY" but his highs have been better than Teague's. With all that said Im not saying Lin's better than Teague, just that they're both in the same tier and have different strenghts.
-baki "the Rockets fan"
parson
RealGM

Post#19 » by parson » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:45 am

red96 wrote:Wasn't Teague the 3rd option for the Hawks before Horford got injured?

Huh?
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#20 » by LarsV8 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 4:28 am

parson wrote:If you think Teague's "below average" , wow.

As far as starting PGs go, here are 16 starting point guards who are no brainers for me over Teague:

Paul, Curry, MCW, Wall, Lawson, Parker, Westbrook, Rondo, Rose, Irving, Lowry, Dragic, Bledsoe, Lillard, Walker, and Holiday.

As there are 32 teams in the NBA and the 16th. best is by definition an average NBA starting PG, then I stand by my statement that Teague is a below average starting PG. I put 13-20th as a range, which is more than fair. If you disagree, well whatever, as I said, I am not particularly interested in debating where he ranks because I really don't care.

parson wrote:As for Millsap, he's become way too valuable.

Cool, keep him. Not real sure what Atlanta's plan is, but if Milsap is key, then I think you should hang on to him.

parson wrote: Despite y'all's protestations, it's becoming more and more clear that the $30 million is a very big deal. The Hawks and the Celtics may be the only teams willing to pay Asik. And, if the rumors are true, the Bulls may be the only team willing to pay Lin.

Could be, but we never asked you to pay that. You asked us for them. You aren't doing us some favor by taking them off our hands. Both are good players and Houston has no problem paying the money, or they wouldn't have given the contracts in the first place.

Return to Trades and Transactions