Where does Josh Smith fit?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Where does Josh Smith fit? 

Post#1 » by DCintheD » Tue Apr 1, 2014 12:33 pm

being completely objective, what team do you see Josh Smith fit with?
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,552

Re: Where does Josh Smith fit? 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 1, 2014 12:54 pm

At the 4 spot.

Don't see why that cannot be Detroit. But if Detroit is deadset on it not being him, I still think Charlotte could be an option (does block some youth), Washington depending on how Gortat talks go (and fitting with Nene) , Minn (only if Love leaves/ gets traded). Phx has a run of the mill defense and a good offense, could make an argument for there, although I have a lot of doubts.

Really the question isn't where he fits on the court though. Its who has management willing to take a swing on him (possibly regardless of fit).

I would say Denver is always up in the air with a plan so maybe, Charlotte just took a big stab at Al Jeff and had it pay off, they might go that way again; Washington depends who the gm is, but could. Knicks if Dolan is still in charge. Not sure who else? NOP has thrown big money at Tyreke, traded big assets for Jrue, they could be in the mix.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#3 » by BeesWax » Tue Apr 1, 2014 12:58 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:At the 4 spot.

Don't see why that cannot be Detroit. But if Detroit is deadset on it not being him, I still think Charlotte could be an option (does block some youth), Washington depending on how Gortat talks go (and fitting with Nene) , Minn (only if Love leaves/ gets traded). Phx has a run of the mill defense and a good offense, could make an argument for there, although I have a lot of doubts.

Really the question isn't where he fits on the court though. Its who has management willing to take a swing on him (possibly regardless of fit).

I would say Denver is always up in the air with a plan so maybe, Charlotte just took a big stab at Al Jeff and had it pay off, they might go that way again; Washington depends who the gm is, but could. Knicks if Dolan is still in charge. Not sure who else? NOP has thrown big money at Tyreke, traded big assets for Jrue, they could be in the mix.

Charlotte is not helping Detroit solve their problems for free. They sure are not going to do it while they hold the rights to Detroit's pick only top 1 protected. I think NOP will eventually leave Davis at the 4 so Smith is not a good fit there. The others could be destinations but the real question is what does Detroit have to give up to get out from under than contract.
Spoiler:
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer
And1: 387

Post#4 » by Hedda Gambler » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:01 pm

jdm3 wrote:The others could be destinations but the real question is what does Detroit have to give up to get out from under than contract.

Offer Drummond for Curry and roll with Curry - Smith - Monroe and the 8th pick in this year`s draft. Drummond would obviously have to be flipped to a 3rd team. Maybe Boston would offer Rondo + Sullinger + 2015 Clippers 1st and build for the future with Exum/Smart and Drummond?
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#5 » by BeesWax » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:04 pm

Hedda Gambler wrote:
jdm3 wrote:The others could be destinations but the real question is what does Detroit have to give up to get out from under than contract.

Offer Drummond for Curry and roll with Curry - Smith - Monroe and the 8th pick in this year`s draft. Drummond would obviously have to be flipped to a 3rd team. Maybe Boston would offer Rondo + Sullinger + 2015 Clippers 1st and build for the future with Exum/Smart and Drummond?

Not 100% sure Drummond gets you Curry. Curry is performing very well on a reasonable contract. Drummond while loaded with potential is still very much a gamble.
Spoiler:
HartfordWhalers

Post#6 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:06 pm

jdm3 wrote:

Charlotte is not helping Detroit solve their problems for free. They sure are not going to do it while they hold the rights to Detroit's pick only top 1 protected. I think NOP will eventually leave Davis at the 4 so Smith is not a good fit there. The others could be destinations but the real question is what does Detroit have to give up to get out from under than contract.

I think Charlotte could be making Detroit worse by taking Smith. A sf / Smith / Drummond lineup can be very good if its a quality floor stretching sf and the coach keeps the players where they should be. A cap space / Monroe / Drummond lineup I think is much more likely to fail.

That said, if the teams have the pick still pending, it would be hard to have a trade that made both happy.

In terms of NOP, they traded their center away under the impression that Davis would be a 5, and Anderson the 4. I'm not sure the 4 doesn't suit him better for a long career ala Tim DUncan, but the NOP management seems to be at the very least open minded about Davis at the 5, where he has played half his minutes.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#7 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:11 pm

jdm3 wrote:
Hedda Gambler wrote:

Not 100% sure Drummond gets you Curry. Curry is performing very well on a reasonable contract. Drummond while loaded with potential is still very much a gamble.

Can say pretty confidently that GS would not to a Drummond for Curry swap. Drummond is a nice young guy with tons of potential (sure wish we'd taken him over Barnes :banghead: ) but Curry is already a top 15 player in the league, still young, and on an extremely reasonable contract.
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by Hedda Gambler » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:21 pm

gswhoops wrote:Can say pretty confidently that GS would not to a Drummond for Curry swap. Drummond is a nice young guy with tons of potential (sure wish we'd taken him over Barnes :banghead: ) but Curry is already a top 15 player in the league, still young, and on an extremely reasonable contract.

What if you could get something like Rondo and Hayward or Rondo and Kanter for him, with Drummond going to Boston? Rondo - Thompson - Igoudala - Lee - Bogut with Barnes and Hayward or Kanter off the bench would be pretty darn good.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:33 pm

Hedda Gambler wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Can say pretty confidently that GS would not to a Drummond for Curry swap. Drummond is a nice young guy with tons of potential (sure wish we'd taken him over Barnes :banghead: ) but Curry is already a top 15 player in the league, still young, and on an extremely reasonable contract.

What if you could get something like Rondo and Hayward or Rondo and Kanter for him, with Drummond going to Boston? Rondo - Thompson - Igoudala - Lee - Bogut with Barnes and Hayward or Kanter off the bench would be pretty darn good.

Still not interested. No way we could downgrade from Curry to Rondo for a bench player. Hayward is good but we already have Barnes and Green off the bench who can play SF, and Kanter hasn't shown nearly enough to be worth that drop off.
HartfordWhalers

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:39 pm

Yeah, GS doesn't touch that at all. Add Dallas to my list of management that just might go for Smith.

Also, for everyone wondering exactly how much Detroit will pay to dump Smith, it hasn't been 6 months since:

DetroitPistons wrote:I wouldn't trade Smith OR Monroe alone for Blake Griffin.
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by Hedda Gambler » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:39 pm

gswhoops wrote:Still not interested. No way we could downgrade from Curry to Rondo for a bench player. Hayward is good but we already have Barnes and Green off the bench who can play SF, and Kanter hasn't shown nearly enough to be worth that drop off.

Yeah. I`m just trying to find a scenario where GSW get a very small downgrade from Curry while adding a very solid piece that is now missing off their bench. Curry would be great in Detroit and you guys have no use for Drummond, so Rondo + another piece would be the most logical offer.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:43 pm

Hedda Gambler wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Still not interested. No way we could downgrade from Curry to Rondo for a bench player. Hayward is good but we already have Barnes and Green off the bench who can play SF, and Kanter hasn't shown nearly enough to be worth that drop off.

Yeah. I`m just trying to find a scenario where GSW get a very small downgrade from Curry while adding a very solid piece that is now missing off their bench. Curry would be great in Detroit and you guys have no use for Drummond, so Rondo + another piece would be the most logical offer.

In general, I think it's extremely unlikely GS would trade Curry for lesser pieces under pretty much any circumstance.

You build around your franchise guys, you don't trade down on them for depth.
Hedda Gambler
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Hedda Gambler » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:44 pm

gswhoops wrote:You build around your franchise guys, you don't trade down on them for depth.

True. I withdraw my case, your honor.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#14 » by BeesWax » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:50 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
jdm3 wrote:

I think Charlotte could be making Detroit worse by taking Smith. A sf / Smith / Drummond lineup can be very good if its a quality floor stretching sf and the coach keeps the players where they should be. A cap space / Monroe / Drummond lineup I think is much more likely to fail.

That said, if the teams have the pick still pending, it would be hard to have a trade that made both happy.

In terms of NOP, they traded their center away under the impression that Davis would be a 5, and Anderson the 4. I'm not sure the 4 doesn't suit him better for a long career ala Tim DUncan, but the NOP management seems to be at the very least open minded about Davis at the 5, where he has played half his minutes.

It is a huge hit to Charlotte cap wise and not worth it. Plus it gives Detroit money to spend to improve. They are going to have to give an asset to move a 9 mill a year player getting 14 mill a year. Now if they wanted to trade us this years pick for the rights to next years pick I would consider taking on Smith for that. Then they could blow it all up and rebuild it around Drummond.
Spoiler:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,830

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:13 pm

He would be fine in DET if he played the 4 next to Drummond. I think Detroit should do something swapping Monroe and Hayward.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#16 » by BeesWax » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:19 pm

Colbinii wrote:He would be fine in DET if he played the 4 next to Drummond. I think Detroit should do something swapping Monroe and Hayward.

Monroe does not fit with Kanter and Favors though.
Spoiler:
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,717

Post#17 » by slicedbread2 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:22 pm

I think Sacramento could be an ok fit but it could be a disaster due to Smith's history of poor discipline and not getting along with the coaching staff at times. I think he could do well especially considering he learned a lot of bad habits from Al Harrington and Antoine Walker not to mention Mike Woodson was the coach in Atlanta. If he had Shaq and C-Webb in his ear to guide him in the right direction like the way Cousins has so far, there's hope. I'd do this deal if it were to be done:

Sacramento: Josh Smith
LA Clippers: Jason Thompson
Detroit: Travis Outlaw, Jared Dudley, Derrick Williams, Jason Terry, Willie Green, LAC first rounder.

I think that would be a solid trade for all parties involved. Kings get a guy who can go back to where he was best utilized plus they got new ownership that knows what they are doing and has pieces in Thomas, Gay and Cousins. Plus they get a solid defender who can help with team defense and Malone is a pretty competent coach who could extract the most out of him while clearing a huge glut at the 4 and getting rid of expiring salaries and a long term commitment in Thompson.

Clippers get that third big who could be an upgrade over big baby and or Hollins depending on where they slide him.

Detroit eats a bunch of expiring contracts to get out of Smith's deal. Dudley has an ETO for 2015-16 and may stay, but other than that, they effectively hit the reboot button on the Smith experiment. Doubt they will find a suitor for Jennings so I'd look to stretch provision him then re-sign Monroe. If Monroe and Drummond ends up a bust, you can trade Monroe for assets knowing you aren't in an as bad position as before and D-Will can be given a trial run to see if he has a future in Motown.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,830

Post#18 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:32 pm

jdm3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:He would be fine in DET if he played the 4 next to Drummond. I think Detroit should do something swapping Monroe and Hayward.

I think he fits with Favors and Kanter has been "meh" at best.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#19 » by MotownMadness » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:32 pm

Theres not much I wouldnt trade Smith for but I wouldn't want to give up a asset to do it. We already wasted a pick on signing him.
HartfordWhalers

Post#20 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:40 pm

Colbinii wrote:
jdm3 wrote:

I think he fits with Favors and Kanter has been "meh" at best.

Agreed. But I don't see Utah doing it.

So, how about some fun....
Gay/Smith/Cousins.

Return to Trades and Transactions