Challenge: Cash in the Celtics Assets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Challenge: Cash in the Celtics Assets 

Post#1 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:42 am

To make the best win now team.

Ainge has decided one year out of the playoffs was enough.

PICKS
2014 #1 (#4)
All future Boston #1
2014, 16 , 18 Brooklyn #1
2014 Protected Philly #1
2015 LAC #1

EXPIRING
Anthony
Bogans (non guaranteed)
Bass

YOUTH
Sullinger
Olynyk

FA
Bradley
Bayless
Humphries

BAD CONTRACT
G. Wallace

FRANCHISE PLAYER
Rondo

NON GUARANTEED
P.Pressy
C.Babb
C.Johnson

OTHER
Jeff Green
Vito Faverani

MISC
$10m TE
MLE
$3m Cash
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Re: Challenge: Cash in the Celtics Assets 

Post#2 » by avon barksdale » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:17 am

Only asset I see is rondo beyond that I really doubt they trade their first and the others are late tern picks I suppose they can cash in those with a tpe but any player they get as a result of that wont make them more than a lotto team
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#3 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:30 am

avon barksdale wrote:Only asset I see is rondo beyond that I really doubt they trade their first and the others are late tern picks I suppose they can cash in those with a tpe but any player they get as a result of that wont make them more than a lotto team

Usually players are traded for expiring contracts / financial relief and picks. Boston has more picks than any team. Picks are viewed by some to be more valuable than ever. No 1st round picks have been sold for straight cash for a couple years.

And whether you think they will or will not trade them isn't the topic here. Its a specific challenge to make the best win now team you could if you were Ainge. Its an excellent way to practice your trade skills and we get to judge you as a poster.
:D
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#4 » by skflives » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:40 am

JR Smith and Raymond Felton for Gerald Wallace. Boston is going to need depth if they want to start winning now.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:51 am

I don't know if I have ever disagreed with anyone more than I do with that guy....

Draft night..3 trades
Asik for Pierce TPE, 17th, and the Phil first. If you want to send cap space + the protected Phil pick to a third team for piece/pieces Houston would want - go ahead. I'm here for the Celtics.

Trade 2 - my new favorite Love to Boston template..

DET - Smith
Det - Wallace, 2016+2018 brooklyn firsts
Minn - Love
Minn - Smith, 4th, and LAC first
Boston - Wallace, 2016+2018 brooklyn first, 4th, LAC first
Boston - Love

2 firsts for Smith doesn't even look right when Wallace is coming back though.. I would have Det add value, I just don't see what it is really... Maybe jsut their 2nd going to Minn..

Trade 3 - Afflalo

Bogans (UNG) and Sullinger for Afflalo

Boston fans will call it an overpay.. But that's the deal. I like Olynyk more than Sullinger long term....

Now the draft is done.. I've used up all my other team future picks .. I bring Bradley back, and Hump if ownership writes me a blank check for the Lux Tax bill.. Is that a stipulation?

Asik, Love, Afflalo, Green, Sullinger, Bradley, Olynyk, Rondo are my real pieces.. I have all my future picks

Trade 4 - Deng S&T

Offer Cleveland Jeff Green+an unprotected 2015 pick+2 seconds for Deng. If Deng is demanding 12+ mill Cleveland might not want to commit to that. And if Lebron doesn't opt out - Jeff Green might be one of their best options as a starting SF(ish).. If Boston has to add salary - they will find a third team to take on Pressey or the such

Asik/Olynyk/Faverani
Love/Bass
Deng/Afflalo
Afflalo/Bradley
Rondo/Bayless/Bradley

I wanted to combine all the assets to get Boston Melo and Love to go with Rondo.. But figured the defense of this line up was better than the offense Melo would add.. Thought about adding Marc Gasol instead of Love - but figured Asik is the best "cheap" asset in the league considering his situation...
If Love sits and the team runs Asik/Deng/Afflalo/Bradley/Rondo.. It might be small but damn defense.

Hold on to Olynyk in case he develops well.. Still have all my draft picks after 2015 so could loo kfor other moves if I wanted to spend more time (Bass, Olynyk, Afflalo combine for enough to add another max player at the trade deadline.. Just don't see who I would add.. Add an unprotected 2017 first and maybe pick swasp 2016/2018 and you have a good "get" for some teams.. Maybe make a Melo trade after all using Deng (thrid team) and Olynyk, 2017 and 2019 firsts and pick swaps whereever NYK has a pick swap in 2018.. Deng would have to pull an expiring and a decent quality asset though..
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#6 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:27 am

Trade #1: Rudy Gay
Green + Wallace + picks needed (outside Celtics '14) to get it done traded to Kings for Gay + Outlaw
Celtics Why= use collection of picks to unload the extra year of Green and bad contract of Wallace
Kings Why= not a team that has cap space freedom anytime soon any ways, and owing their pick to Bulls, Kings can use some additional picks/assets

Trade #2: Asik (finally)
Bass + Fav traded to Rockets for Asik
Celtics Why: Trade is not really needed, but Celtics could use a true C

Trade #3: Bradley
Bradley (S&T) + Bogans traded to Raptors for Fields + Salmons + Future 1st (Knicks owed?)
Celtics Why: trading Bradley is more of a get something for him since not in teams plans (according to me), they get a future 1st and an expiring contract in Fields (plus swap NG contracts in Salmons)
Raptors Why: Bradley becomes PG of future and choose to let Lowry walk, plus Bradley next to DD and Ross is a pretty good long term fit in Toronto

Summary
This plan for Boston is not really a win-now move, but a strategic plan. Resulting in the Celtics having no contracts on the books, outside rookie contracts, past next season. These trades set them up for a possible Heat-lite offseason in '15: re-signing Rondo, possibly Gay, and attracting 1-2 other superstars (depending on how they conspire i.e. James-Wade-Bosh did). Names that come to mind: Love, Melo, LMA.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:29 am

Darn, I was gonna do something around Love, Asik, and a 3 point shooter, but jayjaysee beat me to it. Well done sir!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#8 » by NashtyNas » Tue Apr 8, 2014 6:05 am

skflives wrote:JR Smith and Raymond Felton for Gerald Wallace. Boston is going to need depth if they want to start winning now.

They need depth, not lunatics on ridiculous deals to be held as bench fodder. :lol: :banghead:

Here goes my attempt...

Trade 1:

Boston moves Gerald Wallace, Brooklyn 2014 First, Boston 2015 First for Larry Saders

Trade 2:
Brandon Bass, Keith Bogans, Joel Anthony, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk, Brooklyn 2018 1st, LAC 1st, PHI 1st for Kevin Love
2a. Absorb Corey Brewer in the PP TPE.

Trade 3:
Jeff Green for Eric Gordon

Re-sign Bradley, Bayless. Sign Blair, Blatche or Ed Davis as PF's off the bench and Brandon Rush, MWP or Garcia as backup 3's via FA.

Rondo/Bayless
Gordon/Bradley
Green/Garcia
Love/Davis
Sanders/Faverani

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
GhostofJizzbird
Junior
And1: 79

Post#9 » by GhostofJizzbird » Tue Apr 8, 2014 7:01 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:Trade #1: Rudy Gay
Green + Wallace + picks needed (outside Celtics '14) to get it done traded to Kings for Gay + Outlaw
Celtics Why= use collection of picks to unload the extra year of Green and bad contract of Wallace
Kings Why= not a team that has cap space freedom anytime soon any ways, and owing their pick to Bulls, Kings can use some additional picks/assets

Trade #2: Asik (finally)
Bass + Fav traded to Rockets for Asik
Celtics Why: Trade is not really needed, but Celtics could use a true C

Trade #3: Bradley
Bradley (S&T) + Bogans traded to Raptors for Fields + Salmons + Future 1st (Knicks owed?)
Celtics Why: trading Bradley is more of a get something for him since not in teams plans (according to me), they get a future 1st and an expiring contract in Fields (plus swap NG contracts in Salmons)
Raptors Why: Bradley becomes PG of future and choose to let Lowry walk, plus Bradley next to DD and Ross is a pretty good long term fit in Toronto

Summary
This plan for Boston is not really a win-now move, but a strategic plan. Resulting in the Celtics having no contracts on the books, outside rookie contracts, past next season. These trades set them up for a possible Heat-lite offseason in '15: re-signing Rondo, possibly Gay, and attracting 1-2 other superstars (depending on how they conspire i.e. James-Wade-Bosh did). Names that come to mind: Love, Melo, LMA.

Avery Bradley is not a point guard. Trading a first for the privilege of replacing Kyle Lowry with a shooting guard who can't dribble or pass the ball is some Joe Dumars level wackness :banghead:
Ian Kognitow
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#10 » by Ian Kognitow » Tue Apr 8, 2014 11:03 am

Ok, I'll play.

1)Huge 4-way trade w/MIN,UTA, & POR
BOS IN: Nikola Pekovic, Gordon Hayward (S/T, ~$12m/yr), Nicolas Batum, Chase Budinger [~$41m]
BOS OUT: Avery Bradley (S/T, ~$7m/yr), Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, Kelly Olynyk, Gerald Wallace, BOS #1 2014, ATL/BRK #1 2014, [~$35m]

--See below for BOS summary, following projected roster after all transactions.

MIN IN: BOS #1 2014, Kelly Olynyk, Gerald Wallace, Victor Claver, Meyers Leonard, Will Barton [~$17m]
MIN OUT: Nikola Pekovic, Shabazz Muhammad, Chase Budinger, MIN #1 2014, MIN #2 2014 [~$19m]

--MIN would have a chance to land Exum or Smart at #4 to join Rubio (and move Martin to his better 6th-man role). Such a combo could be good enough to provide the team a stable foundation even if Love leaves or has to be dealt.
--Olynyk would be a useful backup at both C & PF. He could also develop into a worthwhile starter next to Dieng if Love eventually leaves.
--They would have to eat Gerald Wallace's deal but still save cap overall.Claver/Leonard would be low-commitment filler but could maybe still become competent role players if they develop in a new situation.
--Projected Roster:
Starters: Rubio, BOS #1 2014, Brewer, Love, Dieng | Bench: K. Martin, Barea, Olynyk, Turiaf, Wallace, Shved

POR IN: Avery Bradley (S/T, ~$7m/yr?), Jeff Green, BRK/ATL #1 2014, MIN #2 2014 [~$20m]
POR OUT: Nicolas Batum, CJ McCollom, Dorell Wright, Meyers Leonard, Victor Claver, Will Barton [~$23m]

--POR needs to improve their defense and depth. Bradley could work well w/Lillard (while moving Matthews to a 6th-man role) and would be significantly cheaper than Batum.
--Green would also project as a starter. Meanwhile POR ships out much of their bench dross while gaining a mid-round 1st and 2nd this year (a draft in which they currently have no picks).
--Projected Roster:
Starters: Lillard, Bradley, Green, Aldridge, Lopez | Bench: Matthews, Mo Williams, T. Robinson, Freeland, BRK/ATL pick

UTA IN: CJ McCollom, Shabazz Muhammad, Brandon Bass, Dorell Wright, MIN #1 2014 (assuming #13). [~$11m]
UTA OUT: Gordon Hayward (S/T, ~$12m/yr) [~$12m]

--Hayward could command a near-max deal, while UTA could be in position to draft someone like J. Parker at SF (and assuming Burks can take over the starting SG in any case). UTA needs a lot of help so dealing Hayward for multiple prospects/picks (and preserving cap space) would benefit them.
--McCollom and Muhammad each still have high potential and could get a lot more opportunity in UTA.
--The MIN pick could be used for another high-level prospect. It conceivably could also be packaged with their own pick to move up a couple draft slots if they really want to land Parker [for instance, say ORL gets #3 and UTA #6. UTA could deal 6(Exum)+13 for 3(Parker)]
--Projected Roster:
Starters: Burke, Burks, UTA #1 2014, Favors, Kanter | Bench: MIN #1 2014, McCollom, Muhammad, Bass,Wright, Gobert

2) Trade with PHI:
Thaddeus Young
for
Jerryd Bayless (S/T, ~$3m/yr), TPE, LAC #1 2015, BRK #1 2016 (top-8 prot)

--Young would give BOS a 6th-man of the year candidate and give them the kind of athletic slasher they don't really have.
--For PHI, they move Young's contract while getting multiple 1sts, even more cap space, and Bayless, who is decent enough to be an inexpensive, but worthwhile, rotation-player for them over their next couple years of rebuilding.

3) Sign Patty Mills (up to MLE).
--Mills has shown the ability to be a dynamic scorer/shooter off the bench. He'd offer a nice change of style when backing up Rondo. He would also have the experience of coming from the Spurs' deep playoff runs.

4) Trade with LAC:
Kris Humphries (S/T, ~$2.5m/yr), PHI conditional #1
for
Jared Dudley,

--Dudley could be a first-rate backup wing behind either Batum or Hayward and worthwhile starter in case of injury to the starters.
--For LAC, Dudley has fallen in their rotation and they still need decent backup bigs. Humphries is still a solid rebounder. He can also hit free throws above 80% -- which is important for a guy that would mainly be subbing for D. Jordan. They would save $1.5m off the cap and get the PHI conditional pick.

2) Re-sign Vitor Faverani
--He would be a worthwhile backup and may continue to develop into an importantl role player.

Boston's Projected Roster:

SF: Gordon Hayward / Chase Budinger / FA
PF: Jared Sullinger / Thaddeus Young
C: Nikola Pekovic / Vitor Faverani
PG: Rajon Rondo / Patty Mills
SG: Nicolas Batum / Jared Dudley / 2nd rd pick 2014 or FA

BOS Summary:
--BOS gets a top-10 C in Pekovic, who could be a consistent scorer/presence inside . Rondo should be able to set him up just as well as Rubio and Pek could complement Sullinger in much the same way he has K. Love.
--They get a trio of excellent (2 being near all-star level players), 2-way wings in Hayward, Batum, and Dudley. Obviously Stevens already has familiarity with Hayward and could utilize him well.
--Young and Mills are both dynamic scorers they could have as key reserves, and each would be able to bring different skill-sets to the projected starters at their positions (Sullinger and Rondo)
--All incoming players are in, or about to enter, their prime..They are all between 24 and 29 years old.
--The projected team goes a very solid 10-deep, with excellent versatility and complementary skill-sets.
--The team would still have their own future #1s (except this year, of course) and the BRK '18 pick.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#11 » by jowglenn » Tue Apr 8, 2014 11:45 am

^^^^ please edit to include the picks in the BOS OUT - I read it and immediately laughed my ass off before realizing they were sending out picks.
Ian Kognitow
Rookie

Post#12 » by Ian Kognitow » Tue Apr 8, 2014 1:14 pm

jowglenn wrote:^^^^ please edit to include the picks in the BOS OUT - I read it and immediately laughed my ass off before realizing they were sending out picks.

Oops. Got it
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#13 » by jowglenn » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:18 pm

Ian Kognitow wrote:
jowglenn wrote:^^^^ please edit to include the picks in the BOS OUT - I read it and immediately laughed my ass off before realizing they were sending out picks.

Oops. Got it

All in all, it's a nice bold effort.

I like it for Minnesota; it's a calculated risk. If they land the right guy and he's able to contribute immediately, it could lead them into contention and get Love to stay; if it's, say, Exum and he needs time to develop, well, they've started the post-Love rebuild and can look to move him. Dieng is clearly ready to be the starter, and getting Olynyk back as a backup is important.

Portland is a bit iffy, but not so bad since the BKN pick is getting included. I think Batum is probably the best player in thier part of the deal, but it does consolidate some of that mccollum/leonard questionable young talent into bradley.

If Utah got offered that deal, it's gotta be mighty tempting. I like Hayward, but he'll never be a real star. Getting multiple pieces and an extra lotto pick might be a way to go rather than paying him a ton of money to be the best guy on a still-bad team for a few more years.

I think you might be paying too much for Thad Young, actually...I can't imagine Philly turning that deal down.

Patty Mills, ok, I dig it.

Jared Dudley... has gotten horribly exposed this year, forget him.

The end result for Boston is, ultimately, questionable. Your frontline offers no rim protection, and you lack a go-to scorer (I suppose Hayward could theoretically step it up). I think if you're going to go big like this where you move all the assets, you gotta come out of it with THE GUY. You've compiled a great collection of semi-stars, and this is certainly a solid team that will make the playoffs easily, but... I feel like they're going to shoot a bit higher. Rather than get Batum/Pek/Hayward/Young, I imagine they'd rather get one real true star (Love, whoever, etc)
Ian Kognitow
Rookie

Post#14 » by Ian Kognitow » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:04 pm

jowglenn wrote:.
The end result for Boston is, ultimately, questionable. Your frontline offers no rim protection, and you lack a go-to scorer (I suppose Hayward could theoretically step it up). I think if you're going to go big like this where you move all the assets, you gotta come out of it with THE GUY. You've compiled a great collection of semi-stars, and this is certainly a solid team that will make the playoffs easily, but... I feel like they're going to shoot a bit higher. Rather than get Batum/Pek/Hayward/Young, I imagine they'd rather get one real true star (Love, whoever, etc)

Those are fair objections but I think some of those problems are inherent to the challenge.
1) Really no superstar who could certainly be 'THE GUY' would be available for any number of BOS assets, before even thinking about what might be left to use for finding players to complement that guy. So unless the thread is just 'Get K. Love to BOS' (though, for that matter, he hasn't yet proven he can even be a guy to lead a team to the playoffs), the objective would seem to be how to assemble the most talent and complementary skill-sets around Rondo into a ready-made contender.

2) But that's not such a bad proposition. Whilst Rondo is not a 'go-to scorer', he has been a guy that has proven on several occasions that he can control big games and be the best player in playoff series. Moreover, he's actually the only star still in his prime--outside of T. Parker, L. James, and C. Bosh--who has won a championship. And that kind of experience is very useful to this kind of scenario of trying to build an immediate contender.

3) If you do want to designate a go-to scorer though, I definitely do not think it would be Hayward here, as he has shown pretty clearly this year he should not be a #1 option. I'd actually think it would be Batum, who has had that kind of role for the French national team (where he also plays alongside a dominant, more senior PG in T. Parker). If offered the freedom of being a primary option with BOS, I think Batum could do very well -- maybe even find a whole new level to his game, in a way similar to Dragic in PHO. And with such reliable supporting scoring options as Pek inside, a freed-up Hayward outside, Young slashing, and Rondo dishing, I wouldn't be very concerned about being able to get key baskets.

4) The rim protection issue would be a danger, but I think that would be there for any scenario putting Pekovic in BOS. He's so big and bound to the low-post, you would pretty much need to find a starting-quality PF that can both block shots and shoot well away from the basket. But since that practically narrows it down to S. Ibaka and A. Horford--and there's no chance at all they could get one of those guys in as part of this--they'd just have to rely on their perimeter defense (which should be outstanding here) to do most of the work and run a defensive system that would offer as much help inside as possible.
--I had tried to think of a backup vet they might get as a defensive specialist inside but couldn't really come up with anyone particular. Maybe I. Mahinmi if IND has to dump him to keep Stephenson? Alternatively, if BOS really wants someone, and since there wouldn't be too many minutes available, they could just go with a developing player in that role (despite the main premise of cashing in everything for immediate gains). In that case, it seems possible they could find a way to sneak in someone like B. Biyombo or F. Ezeli?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#15 » by Laimbeer » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:36 pm

skflives wrote:JR Smith and Raymond Felton for Gerald Wallace. Boston is going to need depth if they want to start winning now.

Felton is one of the worst point guards in the league. Smith is playing better, but it's not like you can count on getting the old JR.
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#16 » by jowglenn » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:40 pm

Ian Kognitow wrote:1) Really no superstar who could certainly be 'THE GUY' would be available for any number of BOS assets, before even thinking about what might be left to use for finding players to complement that guy. So unless the thread is just 'Get K. Love to BOS' (though, for that matter, he hasn't yet proven he can even be a guy to lead a team to the playoffs), the objective would seem to be how to assemble the most talent and complementary skill-sets around Rondo into a ready-made contender.

This is where I somewhat disagree; I believe there are probably a fair number of guys available, and we just don't realize it. the 2014 pick (top 7ish), plus the BKN pick, future LAC pick, future BKN picks, future BOS picks, Sullinger, Olynyk, Bass, Green - you can pretty much put together a package to rival any other one out there. Boatload of picks, a couple young players on rookie contracts, some expirings, etc. Top notch, really.

Yes, Kevin Love is the obvious target - disgruntled top-10 player who expires in a year, whose team is deathly afraid of him leaving for nothing. Well those assets can get Kevin Love, quite frankly, if he's really being shopped. If those can't, what can?

I really do like your combination of players; fantastic depth top to bottom, possibly the best bench in the league... but it's tricky to make such a massive massive overhaul, completely changing the makeup of the team, and come away with it lacking a single guy who you're sure will average more than 17 ppg.
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#17 » by jowglenn » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:52 pm

Here are my general thoughts.

I think the Celtics need to go after Kevin Love BIG TIME. Throw the bag at em - Bass/Sullinger/Bogans/2014 BOS 1st/2014 BKN 1st/2015 LAC 1st/2016 BOS 1st. (that's expirings, Sullinger, & FOUR 1sts) Minnesota will have a hard time finding a package that good from anyone else. After that, try to swing the Pierce TPE + spare change (future BKN 1st?) for a Sanders/Asik rim defender type to put next to Love. (Milwaukee would get to move on and get out of the contract while getting a pick, HOU would open up cap space for FAs)

Re-sign Bradley, sign one or two good bench guys (mills and james johnson?), roll w/ Rondo/Bradley/Green/Love/DefensiveCenter w/ mills/johnson/olynyk bench, plus whatever other vets and 10th men you can add.

That would be my general strategy for them.

I've posted this somewhere else, I believe it's essentially what I had come up with before. I like the Mills addition, I think he'd work well next to Rondo as well as backing him up.

ALTERNATIVE:

Another option is to go somewhat low-key and focus on value pickups, and keep your own pick. Josh Smith can probably be had pretty cheap, even dumping the Wallace Contract on them.

Wallace, BKN 2014 1st, LAC 2015 1st for Smith
TPE+minor concession(future BKN pick, or future pick swap) for Asik
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#18 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:56 pm

Ian Kognitow wrote:
jowglenn wrote:.

Those are fair objections but I think some of those problems are inherent to the challenge.
1) Really no superstar who could certainly be 'THE GUY' would be available for any number of BOS assets, before even thinking about what might be left to use for finding players to complement that guy. So unless the thread is just 'Get K. Love to BOS' (though, for that matter, he hasn't yet proven he can even be a guy to lead a team to the playoffs), the objective would seem to be how to assemble the most talent and complementary skill-sets around Rondo into a ready-made contender.

2) But that's not such a bad proposition. Whilst Rondo is not a 'go-to scorer', he has been a guy that has proven on several occasions that he can control big games and be the best player in playoff series. Moreover, he's actually the only star still in his prime--outside of T. Parker, L. James, and C. Bosh--who has won a championship. And that kind of experience is very useful to this kind of scenario of trying to build an immediate contender.

3) If you do want to designate a go-to scorer though, I definitely do not think it would be Hayward here, as he has shown pretty clearly this year he should not be a #1 option. I'd actually think it would be Batum, who has had that kind of role for the French national team (where he also plays alongside a dominant, more senior PG in T. Parker). If offered the freedom of being a primary option with BOS, I think Batum could do very well -- maybe even find a whole new level to his game, in a way similar to Dragic in PHO. And with such reliable supporting scoring options as Pek inside, a freed-up Hayward outside, Young slashing, and Rondo dishing, I wouldn't be very concerned about being able to get key baskets.

4) The rim protection issue would be a danger, but I think that would be there for any scenario putting Pekovic in BOS. He's so big and bound to the low-post, you would pretty much need to find a starting-quality PF that can both block shots and shoot well away from the basket. But since that practically narrows it down to S. Ibaka and A. Horford--and there's no chance at all they could get one of those guys in as part of this--they'd just have to rely on their perimeter defense (which should be outstanding here) to do most of the work and run a defensive system that would offer as much help inside as possible.
--I had tried to think of a backup vet they might get as a defensive specialist inside but couldn't really come up with anyone particular. Maybe I. Mahinmi if IND has to dump him to keep Stephenson? Alternatively, if BOS really wants someone, and since there wouldn't be too many minutes available, they could just go with a developing player in that role (despite the main premise of cashing in everything for immediate gains). In that case, it seems possible they could find a way to sneak in someone like B. Biyombo or F. Ezeli?

I don't want to hijack your idea but -

Why not make the 4 teamer with the Pistons instead of the Sixers.

Bring Josh Smith to play with Pek instead of Thad.

Smith's price would be a great deal cheaper

Some filler contracts Bogans and a couple 2nd probably

But I don't see Portland considering turning CJ and Batum into Green and Bradley just for the 18th pick.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#19 » by Xman » Tue Apr 8, 2014 6:13 pm

I agree it would be great to get KLove - just doubt it comes together (and why he chooses Boston over LA).

I think Asik is an easy target to acquire - and probably the cheapest value available. The TE along with a couple of non lottery firsts seems fair for all. Rox could then package those 2 picks along with their first to attempt to move up.
That would give them 3 solid starters: Rondo, Green, Asik. The rest of the roster could provide depth - whichever they keep. Pick #4 or thereabout - obviously Wiggins would be the best fit. Randle would be next choice to fill the PF slot.

If Boston ends up with Randle and Asik: still need a sg. Two options stand out - EGordon(14.3) and Waiters(3.9). Third option is two draft options - - Gary Harris around 10 or Hood a little later.
- I would offer CLE a couple of Brooklyn 1sts or some combo of Sully/Olynck.
- Gordon is second option due to price and history - I think NO would insist on Green which would open a hole at sf. Maybe sign Deng to replace him at that point.

If Boston ends up with Wiggins and Asik: Then they need a better pf. The obvious play is to throw everything left to Minny for KLove. If that does not work, would offer up a lot to try to move up and get Randle to go with Wiggins. Again, probably not happening. So, then look at smaller deals: Bass and a pick for Milsap; pick for TajGibson/ThaddeusYoung/CLandry/etc.; lastly look at JSmith deal (if they take Wallace then several picks).
I will say that a Rondo/Wiggins/Green/JSmith/Asik team would be hard to score against.
Ian Kognitow
Rookie

Post#20 » by Ian Kognitow » Tue Apr 8, 2014 6:18 pm

jowglenn wrote:
Ian Kognitow wrote:1) Really no superstar who could certainly be 'THE GUY' would be available for any number of BOS assets, before even thinking about what might be left to use for finding players to complement that guy. So unless the thread is just 'Get K. Love to BOS' (though, for that matter, he hasn't yet proven he can even be a guy to lead a team to the playoffs), the objective would seem to be how to assemble the most talent and complementary skill-sets around Rondo into a ready-made contender.

This is where I somewhat disagree; I believe there are probably a fair number of guys available, and we just don't realize it. the 2014 pick (top 7ish), plus the BKN pick, future LAC pick, future BKN picks, future BOS picks, Sullinger, Olynyk, Bass, Green - you can pretty much put together a package to rival any other one out there. Boatload of picks, a couple young players on rookie contracts, some expirings, etc. Top notch, really.

Sure, the theoretical value is there but no team would trade their in-prime superstar even for all of that.

Take, for instance, the top-15 list of trade value from this board:
[James, Durant, A. Davis, George, Paul, Curry, Love, Harden, Aldridge, Westbrook, Howard, Drummond, Lillard, Griffin, Cousins.]

How many of those guys would ever be traded by their teams--along with the big long-term hopes and plans already invested in them--for a package of picks and role players?
--Love is only possible because of his contract status and discontent..
--Can't imagine James, Durant, Davis, Paul, Griffin, Curry, Harden, or Howard would be on the table for anything.
--George? Only if IND crashes out in the playoffs and decided to free their cap by dealing him for the BOS #1 and a couple of the BRK 1sts (and probably would also think they could turn around and land a FA like Hayward too with the fresh cap space.
--Westbrook? No chance if OKC makes the finals. Could be interesting though if they dealt him for something like the '14 #1, Bradley, Olynyk, and a future pick; and, then, were to target, say, M. Gasol as a FA next summer. A frontline of Durant/Ibaka/Gasol would be scary.
--Aldridge and Lillard? They got ranked too high on the value list anyway. I don't think either would be particularly better than Rondo at being 'the guy' (even if they're more valuable overall), and BOS would still be left trying to acquire a bunch of secondary stars and quality role players to complement them.
--Drummond? Maybe. But he's too inexperienced and undeveloped for the purpose of fast contention. And having to rely on the FT shooting of *both* Rondo and Drummond to close out games doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Return to Trades and Transactions