Kings offer pick unless it is top 3, Dump JT or Landry

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Re: Kings offer pick unless it is top 3, Dump JT or Landry 

Post#21 » by slicedbread2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:50 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
slicedbread2 wrote:
Foshan wrote:Wait... so philly eats almost 20M in Landry's crap deal to move from #9/10 to #7 ?? That is a pretty expensive difference for a couple draft slots... especially for a team that just picked (arguably) the best guy in last year's draft at #11. I don't see that happening.

I think it's the fact for this year that the difference could be very huge. I mean last year's draft was weak, not 2000 weak, but still very weak. I mean outside of say Carter-Williams, Oladipo and a couple of others who could be something like Antetokounmpo, Burke and a few others, it was pretty unpredictable. This year, I could see the picks in each tier being something like this:

Tier 1: Parker, Wiggins, Embiid
Tier 2: Exum, Randle, Smart
Tier 3: Gordon, Vonleh
Tier 4: everybody else.

I will admit, Landry's deal is pretty tough to swallow since it has 19.5 million left over 3 years, but the positive for Philadelphia is that outside of Richardson who is expiring, all of their contracts are entry level salaries and the 76ers seem like they will build through the draft for now and maybe make their push in 2016 for instance since the next few years will be about player development. Plus his deal expires when Noel and MCW's deals are up for renewal so this would be a plus. And to get an opportunity to draft a guy like Vonleh boy him and Noel with their length would be quite bothersome especially if he's still on the board at 7. With upside like his if they could add say Wiggins or Parker, this would be a nuisance for many teams to handle and with boatloads of second rounders from Memphis, Brooklyn, Cleveland, and Houston, Hinkie would love to roll the dice here on high upside. Maybe Philly can send 1 low second rounder I guess, but this would get any rebuilding GM a moment of pause to think about.

Then again, there are plenty of other teams out there say Orlando, Utah or many rebuilding teams in this draft who could drive a bidding war here so if I'm Sacramento I'm willing to shop the pick around and see what I can get for it.

2 variations to bridge the gap:
-- Richardson + 10 for Thompson + 7. Drops off 2 years of the deal, but Philly is only eating 13m not 20m (I switched because Thompson is local, but either way him or Landry).

{Clears future money but no money now.}

-- Terry + Derrick Williams + 7 for 10 and BJ Mullens. Philly eats ~10m in salary to get 3 spots higher. However, I never see BJ Mullens on the Sixers again. And then its kinda like a Derrick Williams for Evan Turner trade happened, right?

{Clears money now, but no future money.}

I guess I could do the deal I proposed but with J-Rich heading back and say Philadelphia just sends 1-2 of the late second rounders they have from Houston, Brooklyn or Memphis. This one would actually be better I guess since if they were to ship the lotto pick, they'd send Thompson or preferably Landry with it.

Yea I won't lie that deal with D-Will would be Evan Turner part 2. I'd try to use the expiring deals say to try to pry a Josh Smith for cheap or let the expiring salaries expire and then open up a lot of cap space to maybe go after a good 4 although it may be hard to find one. I'd do a modified deal like this instead:

Sacramento: J-Rich, Byron Mullens, NOP #10-11, Houston second rounder or Memphis second rounder or maybe both although most likely you may just see one.
Philadelphia: Carl Landry, #7 or #7, Jason Thompson, a combination of 1-2 expiring contracts in Outlaw(3 million), Terry(5.8 million), or D-Will or the last variation of D-Will, Terry, Outlaw, Dudley(4.25 million), #7
LA Clippers: Jason Thompson

Yea I think the Kings are stuck with Landry's deal which I never understood why they did that deal to begin with. The modified deal I came up with would actually do pretty well since all you get is expiring deals for 7 and Dudley's deal which he will most likely opt out of to test FA.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#22 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Not sure what Portland could offer, but the idea intrigues me.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#23 » by Krapinsky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:22 pm

MN could offer #13 + Barea (exp) for Thompson or Landry and the Kings Pick.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#24 » by blind prophet » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Krapinsky wrote:MN could offer #13 + Barea (exp) for Thompson or Landry and the Kings Pick.

While this helps offload a contract, we also need to move expiring salary. The expiring nets us options with IT, the contract loss of Landry or JT lets us reinvest a season later with more room.

So this is not going to work, 13+ JT+ expiring like Terry is probably not going to work for you, and if the Kings can't off load that expiring, then would keep the 7th pick, almost certainly let IT walk, then try other moves in the future.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#25 » by blind prophet » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:14 pm

LApwnd wrote:I'd take JT/Jet for 7th pick/tpe and future pick swap in favor of Sac., for lakers.

Option to pick swap would work after your debt to Phoenix is repaid and ours to Chicago, only will give you top 3 protected though.
chuckdevlin
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,187

Post#26 » by chuckdevlin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 pm

I originally had Salmons in the deal because of his 7m, 1m guaranteed contract, but I forgot we just got him from you.Was gonna scrap but oh well

Fields + #20 + #37 or #59+ (maybe) 2016 NYK/DEN 1st + Hansbro (3m, 1m guaranteed)
for
Jt+Derrick Williams + ~#7

Makes sense for toronto if they can switch Derrick Williams expiring with another team and dont draft a pf.
Retire Joey Graham's Number in the ACC #letsgooo #whatnumber?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#27 » by blind prophet » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:36 pm

chuckdevlin wrote:I originally had Salmons in the deal because of his 7m, 1m guaranteed contract, but I forgot we just got him from you.Was gonna scrap but oh well

Fields + #20 + #37 or #59+ (maybe) 2016 NYK/DEN 1st + Hansbro (3m, 1m guaranteed)
for
Jt+Derrick Williams + ~#7

Makes sense for toronto if they can switch Derrick Williams expiring with another team and dont draft a pf.

Fields makes too much money, we still have trouble with IT possibly, the extra picks are nice but we really would like to keep IT, then reinvest next season.

Is there any restrictions on trading Johnny back to Sacramento? I know his contract situation is unique, so may be a prohibited * in there, or dates may mess things up.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#28 » by becorz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:44 am

This thread assumes that Isaiah gets resigned by the Kings. I am not 100% certain that will happen. If someone throws $7 million at him, I think that Kings might pass. He played well for the team, but the front office doesn't seem convinced on him being the long term solution.

Either way, I don't think the team will (and I don't see any reason to) make a cap clearing trade until after free agency gets settled....which would be after the draft. There is simply too many scenarios that can put the team under the tax, be it in free agency or trade, so there is no reason to make a move now.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#29 » by blind prophet » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:49 am

becorz wrote:This thread assumes that Isaiah gets resigned by the Kings. I am not 100% certain that will happen. If someone throws $7 million at him, I think that Kings might pass. He played well for the team, but the front office doesn't seem convinced on him being the long term solution.

Either way, I don't think the team will (and I don't see any reason to) make a cap clearing trade until after free agency gets settled....which would be after the draft. There is simply too many scenarios that can put the team under the tax, be it in free agency or trade, so there is no reason to make a move now.

So never be aggressive. sit back and wait till you have to do something, never look to improve your cap situation until you have to.

Don't see past this off season, do not try for long term planning.

Keep a gamble of a pick, and Carl and JT because we do not have to do something.

I'd rather try to control my own destiny some and be proactive about our contract clutter.

You are correct about IT there is no certainty we keep him, but all part of the negotiation process.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#30 » by slicedbread2 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:01 am

The only way I'd consider keeping the pick is if Noah Vonleh is still available. If he is, you take him since I see him in the mold of Chris Bosh/Jamal Mashburn/Wayne Tisdale. That dude could be the ideal fit to Cousins since he's 6'10 240 and can be a great defender plus he has a good midrange game with a developing 3 point shot.

As for Landry, sadly you may be more likely to be stuck with him since it would take a miracle to send him off.
Thompson for Dudley works well since he could be an expiring this year if he opts out. Then you'd have a case like this:

Dudley: 4.25
Terry: 5.8
D-Will: 6.3
Outlaw: 3.0

You'd have around 15-21 million in expiring contracts you could use to move with a second rounder or wait for it to expire and go after certain players. Either way you keep the pick if Vonleh is around plus I think Smith would be a good addition but I'm not sure he'd be willing to play point forward and be a 4th option.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#31 » by rpa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 am

This thread is laughably ignorant. The Kings should give up a mid lottery pick in what's rated as one of the best drafts in the last decade so they can .... resign an above average PG.

Really? Seriously?

Even when the Kings were fully healthy this year--after the Gay trade--they still wouldn't have been good enough to make the playoffs in the west. Not win the division. Not win the conference. Make the playoffs. This team needs an infusion of talent. The mere thought that this team should give up their only viable source of talent injection to resign, again, an above average PG is just flat out stupid. It's moves like this that the Kings went from good team to laughing stock.
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#32 » by GANGSTERDOG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:44 am

Aaron Afflalo and # 12 Future 2nd Round Pick

for

Landry, and whatever else You want to throw.

Jameer is an expiring if u need to add that.

DONE DEAL?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#33 » by blind prophet » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 pm

rpa wrote:This thread is laughably ignorant. The Kings should give up a mid lottery pick in what's rated as one of the best drafts in the last decade so they can .... resign an above average PG.

Really? Seriously?

Even when the Kings were fully healthy this year--after the Gay trade--they still wouldn't have been good enough to make the playoffs in the west. Not win the division. Not win the conference. Make the playoffs. This team needs an infusion of talent. The mere thought that this team should give up their only viable source of talent injection to resign, again, an above average PG is just flat out stupid. It's moves like this that the Kings went from good team to laughing stock.

Have you seen our contract clutter disaster?

How would you get rid of it?

We are handcuffed with JT and Landry.

And this is more than IT, a season later by dumping one of them you can easily invest in 10+ million talent through free agency, RFA, or take back salary in a trade.

This is about restructuring our entire roster, being able to have Rudy, Cuz, and a future player as the 3 big contracts, and keeping IT as a mid level 6th man or potential starter role. After that its all cheaper role players.

I'm looking to compete seriously 1 season from now.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#34 » by blind prophet » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:29 pm

GANGSTERDOG wrote:Aaron Afflalo and # 12 Future 2nd Round Pick

for

Landry, and whatever else You want to throw.

Jameer is an expiring if u need to add that.

DONE DEAL?

If you can take back Terry you can keep the second rounder, Yeah I'd make that trade.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#35 » by reignfire » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:58 pm

It would actually be very smart for SAC to use that 7th pick to rid themselves of Landry's contract. What's going to keep SAC down in their cap situation.
OhioKingsFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#36 » by OhioKingsFan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Sac will not be repeat tax offenders. There is no threat of being in the tax after next season, so I would not give up ANY assets to avoid the tax.

I'm all for trading the pick, but only if it is for talent.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#37 » by blind prophet » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm

OhioKingsFan wrote:Sac will not be repeat tax offenders. There is no threat of being in the tax after next season, so I would not give up ANY assets to avoid the tax.

I'm all for trading the pick, but only if it is for talent.

What if that talent comes after salary is dumped then spent in a useful manner?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#38 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 am

Update to OP.
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#39 » by GANGSTERDOG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:10 am

ok

SO

LANDRY, TERRY #7 Total of - $12,125,313

for

Aaron Afflalo, Fillers are Maxiell, Moore , Lamb, #12.

FINAL DEAL?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#40 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:31 am

GANGSTERDOG wrote:ok

SO

LANDRY, TERRY #7 Total of - $12,125,313

for

Aaron Afflalo, Fillers are Maxiell, Moore , Lamb, #12.

FINAL DEAL?

Absolutely, but Moore looks like he is expiring, and the others team option.

:D

Return to Trades and Transactions