SAC's ridiculous offseason w/ OKC, BOS, maybe ORL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

SAC's ridiculous offseason w/ OKC, BOS, maybe ORL 

Post#1 » by teerfour+40LG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:32 am

All transactions in bold.

Step 1) Trade with OKC before draft.
Jason Thompson + Jason Terry <--> Kendrik Perkins
Why for OKC? Upgrade C/PF and save $3 mil after dumping Jason Terry.

Step 2) Trade with BOS before draft.
#7 Pick + Ben McLemore + Derrick Williams <--> Rajon Rondo

Step 3) Sign-and-trade Isaiah Thomas
Isaiah Thomas <--> Arron Afflalo
Why for ORL? Free up SG space for Oladipo. Big upgrade from Jameer Nelson.

Result)
Rajon Rondo / Ray McCallum
Afflalo / D-Leaguer (I suggest Trent Lockett from SAC's own D-League team.)
Rudy Gay / Travis Outlaw
Reggie Evans / Carl Landry
DeMarcus Cousins / Kendrik Perkins

Payroll won't be above the first luxury tax tier for the first year and will be below it by the next year.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Re: SAC Kings offseason w/ OKC, BOS, maybe ORL 

Post#2 » by teerfour+40LG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:58 am

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,839

Re: SAC Kings offseason w/ OKC, BOS, and PHI or ORL 

Post#3 » by giberish » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:02 am

Those Thomas trades are big reaches.

For one thing, teams can't even start negotiating with him to make a contract offer before July, so they won't trade June draft picks for him. Those deals are just out.

Afflalo isn't horribly off in value, but I don't see Orlando really having interest. If Sacramento's lucky they might get a solid rotation/low end starting SG for Thomas.

At this point, look at the roster you've created. You're starting Reggie Evans at PF and a (likely mediocre) SG to be named later. Outside of Landry the bench is horrible. This is a 30-win team (paying a luxury tax bill in a small market). Then Rondo leaves for a vaguely competitive team and the Kings are left with Cousins and Gay on big contracts, with no youth or recent picks.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,109

Post#4 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:38 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:Step 3) Sign-and-trade Isaiah Thomas
Why for ORL? Free up SG space for Oladipo. Upgrade from Jameer Nelson.

where do all these Thomas trades to Orlando get their idea from? Orlando has shown zero interest in Thomas. Orlando has an upgrade from Nelson in Oladipo, who i dont believe is their future PG. and after 10 years with a shorty at PG in Nelson, we dont want another one in Thomas.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,548

Re: SAC's ridiculous offseason w/ OKC, BOS, maybe ORL 

Post#5 » by Devilanche » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:
Jason Thompson + Aaron Gray <--> Kendrik Perkins
Why for OKC? Upgrade C/PF and save $3 mil.

Would rather keep perkins now. he's an expiring.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#6 » by loserX » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 pm

I still question whether Rondo would want to stick around, and in any case neither IT nor Aaron Gray can be traded before the draft.
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#7 » by bpcox05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:37 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:ALTERNATIVE

You are welcome for the trade ideas :P

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1315867
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1315904
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#8 » by bpcox05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:04 pm

tiderulz wrote:
and after 10 years with a shorty at PG in Nelson, we dont want another one in Thomas.

He doesn't have to be your starting PG. Personally, I think Thomas' best fit is as a sixth man due to his size, defense, and mentality, but if there was one team he could find success starting on it would be Orlando. Oladipo's complimentary skillset makes that possible.

But back to Thomas as a sixth man...

I've mentioned, in another thread, that it's likely Thomas will not be offered starter's money due to there being virtually no market for him as a starting guard this offseason. I don't expect Thomas to be offered more than $6 mil a year. I think his contract will end up being close to the MLE ($5-5.5 mil). At that price, Thomas has very good value as an elite sixth man.

The Kings started the season with Thomas coming off the bench (before the Vazquez trade). His stats were...
27:40 MPG, 45.8% FG, 40.3% 3PT, 86% FT, 17.8 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 4.9 APG, 1.4 SPG, 0.0 BPG, 2.6 TOPG

If you have a solid starting lineup and you're getting production like that off your bench every night, your team is going to be very difficult to compete with.

You could either sign Lowry or draft a rookie PG to be your starting PG and have Thomas come off the bench. When coming off the bench, his height isn't as much of an issue because he will more often than not be going up against weaker offensive players that can't take advantage of his height or poor defense as much as the opposing team's starting guards.

If height and length is everything, would you rather have Livingston over Thomas? I sure wouldn't...
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#9 » by bpcox05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:14 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:All transactions in bold.

Jason Thompson + Aaron Gray <--> Kendrik Perkins
Why for OKC? Upgrade C/PF and save $3 mil.

#7 Pick + Isaiah Thomas + Ben McLemore + Derrick Williams <--> Rajon Rondo + Pick #18
Why for BOS? Draft Exum. Expect low demand for Isaiah Thomas (~$7 mil). Future backcourt is set with
Isaiah Thomas /
Dante Exum / Ben McLemore

These two trades are not possible.

We cannot trade Gray because he will be a free agent.

We also can't trade Thomas on draft night because he will not be under contract with us.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#10 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:59 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
and after 10 years with a shorty at PG in Nelson, we dont want another one in Thomas.

He doesn't have to be your starting PG. Personally, I think Thomas' best fit is as a sixth man due to his size, defense, and mentality, but if there was one team he could find success starting on it would be Orlando. Oladipo's complimentary skillset makes that possible.

I've mentioned, in another thread, that it's likely Thomas will not be offered starter's money due to there being virtually no market for him as a starting guard this offseason. I don't expect Thomas to be offered more than $6 mil a year. I think his contract will end up being close to the MLE ($5-5.5 mil). At that price, Thomas has very good value as an elite sixth man.

The Kings started the season with Thomas coming off the bench (before the Vazquez trade). His stats were...
27:40 MPG, 45.8% FG, 40.3% 3PT, 86% FT, 17.8 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 4.9 APG, 1.4 SPG, 0.0 BPG, 2.6 TOPG

If you have a solid starting lineup and you're getting production like that off your bench every night, your team is going to be very difficult to compete with.

You could either sign Lowry or draft a rookie PG to be your starting PG and have Thomas come off the bench. When coming off the bench, his height isn't as much of an issue because he will more often than not be going up against weaker offensive players that can't take advantage of his height or poor defense as much as the opposing team's starting guards.

If height and length is everything, would you rather have Livingston over Thomas? I sure wouldn't...

or Orlando just drafts a PG and keeps Nelson as a retiring 6th man and uses Oladipo in spot minutes there. Then we can spend money elsewhere
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#11 » by bpcox05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:49 pm

tiderulz wrote:
bpcox05 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:and after 10 years with a shorty at PG in Nelson, we dont want another one in Thomas.

or Orlando just drafts a PG and keeps Nelson as a retiring 6th man and uses Oladipo in spot minutes there. Then we can spend money elsewhere

Nelson is no where near the scorer Thomas is. You would be much better off with Thomas in regards to improving the team and creating cap space (Thomas would be $5-6 mil, and by trading away Afflalo and releasing Nelson, you would save approximately $10 mil in cap space).
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm

^^again, not sure where this is coming from, but Orlando has never shown an interest in Thomas. Hennigan seems to prefer bigger, taller players.
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#13 » by bpcox05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 pm

tiderulz wrote:^^again, not sure where this is coming from, but Orlando has never shown an interest in Thomas. Hennigan seems to prefer bigger, taller players.

Whoever said it had to come from somewhere? I didn't realize the prerequisite to post a trade on this board was a rumor that a team is interested in a certain player. Sometimes people post a trade on this board because they think it would be a good fit for both teams. Imagine that!

Besides, those rumors won't pop up until the offseason when teams are able to trade again.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#14 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:19 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:^^again, not sure where this is coming from, but Orlando has never shown an interest in Thomas. Hennigan seems to prefer bigger, taller players.

Whoever said it had to come from somewhere? I didn't realize the prerequisite to post a trade on this board was a rumor that a team is interested in a certain player. Sometimes people post a trade on this board because they think it would be a good fit for both teams. Imagine that!

Besides, those rumors won't pop up until the offseason when teams are able to trade again.

no, i had just seen 2 other Thomas to Orlando trades pop up very recently.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#15 » by campybatman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote: Step 2) Trade with BOS before draft.

I can't see Sacramento trading McLemore with no depth behind him. And the offer for Rondo wouldn't be appealing to Ainge.

What if Boston is selecting outside of the top three? I suspect that Ainge would likely trade the pick for a veteran player. Not to mention, I doubt that you can convince a team that's selecting in the top three to trade down in favor of you trading up to their spot in exchange for a package of two first round picks, your own and Sacramento's, that could be outside of the top three or five.

The non-playoff general managers are likely thinking... Parker, Embiid and Wiggins > #4-#7
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,718

Post#16 » by slicedbread2 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:56 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:All transactions in bold.

Jason Thompson + Jason Terry <--> Kendrik Perkins
Why for OKC? Upgrade C/PF and save $3 mil after dumping Jason Terry.

Why for ORL? Free up SG space for Oladipo. Big upgrade from Jameer Nelson.

Result)
Rajon Rondo / Ray McCallum
Afflalo / D-Leaguer (I suggest Trent Lockett from SAC's own D-League team.)
Rudy Gay / Travis Outlaw
Reggie Evans / Carl Landry
DeMarcus Cousins / Kendrik Perkins

Payroll won't be above the first luxury tax tier for the first year and will be below it by the next year.

#1. Oklahoma City has no incentive to take on dead weight in Terry not to mention a longer deal in Thompson when Perkins is expiring and they could use him with picks in a S&T to pursue a big like Pau Gasol for instance, keep him or amnesty him if the need comes. Thompson can be easily moved in a simple deal like this:

Sacramento: Jared Dudley, Willie Green, LAC first rounder
LA Clippers: Jason Thompson, SAC second rounder

Kings get a shorter deal and move up in the draft. Green's deal isn't guaranteed so you can waive him and open up a roster spot.

Jason Thompson can be that third big for depth that the Clippers are looking for and sure they slide down in the draft, but getting a decent second in this year's draft helps a bit. Plus big baby hasn't exactly shined in his new role in LA and Thompson may need a change of scenery to help it out.

Truth be told, the picks would not be necessary since you'd be getting a shorter deal in Dudley.

#2. Rondo pretty much exclaimed "I'm not resigning in Sacramento".

The original deal was IT+McLemore+first rounder this year for Rondo which would have been a huge overpay and complete disaster. Thankfully Rondo bailed D'Alessandro from utter stupidity since it's yet to be proven that Rondo can play without 3 hall of famers making the job easier for him.

#3. Not a great idea. I can't see Orlando going for it to be honest when they have Exum on their sights who has Penny Hardaway potential. Plus IT may be a liability on defense due to his small stature, but it'd be a mistake to do that deal. To me, Afflalo is benefiting a lot from playing on a bad team and other teams may have a mid to late first rounder to offer for him plus an expiring in this year's draft that would entice Orlando.

Overall as to what the Kings should do, well I'd hope that Vonleh would be around at 7 and if he's around at 6, I'd try to move up for him. Otherwise if he falls to the Kings, grab him since to me, he reminds me a bit of Bosh and he has a great character and work-ethic that would mesh well with what the Kings are trying to do. If there is nobody left who'd entice Sacramento, I'd consider trading down in the draft to try and get some good value out of it. Let's say Philadelphia since they have a crapola of picks:

Philadelphia: #7, #37(Sacramento) Jason Terry, Travis Outlaw, maybe even Derrick Williams
Sacramento: NOLA pick #10, Byron Mullens, #39(Cleveland), #47(Brooklyn), #52(Memphis), #55(Houston)

I don't think this would be an overwhelming offer, but to be real here I think Hinkie would have a collective pause and think about it. Wouldn't happen but it'd be interesting to think about. I'd try to throw in Landry with the pick, but his salary would all but kill the deal since nobody is touching his deal with a 10 foot pole.

That's really all I got.

Return to Trades and Transactions