Dallas Mavericks Cap Space

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Re: Dallas Mavericks "Real" Cap Space 

Post#41 » by Darren » Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 pm

I wonder if OKC does it. Dalembert + Larkin + 34 pick for Collison + Adams. It looks like we trade up in draft. Adams is promising. I like what I see in him during playoffs. If they promote Reggie Jackson (in place of Thabo) into starting lineup, I can see them want Larkin (given that Fish will go to coach NYK). For all his faults, Dalembert can start over Perkins. He's better than Adams for now, not for a mile though. I love Collison's professionalism and glue defense. We can care less about Blair then.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#42 » by HotrodBeaubois » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Hook_Em wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
Hook_Em wrote:Their outlook is pretty bleak. Hayward might be a nice fit.

Bleak ?

49 Win team and $21 Million in cap space ( $29.5 Million if Wright / Ellington / Mekel moved ) after re-signing Dirk ( $10 Million ) to replace Marion and Dalembert in the starting lineup . $29.5 Million and they could easily overpay and steal both Gortat / Ariza while still having the money to bring back Marion / Carter / Harris

PG-Calderon / Harris / Larkin
SG-Ellis / Carter / Ledo
SF-Ariza / Marion / Crowder
PF-Dirk / Marion / Vet Min / Dallas 2nd
C-Gortat / Dalembert / Boston 2nd

If this years Roster wins 49 Games the roster above wins 55-60 easily

36 year old Dirk surrounded by journeyman will result in another 7-8 seed at best. Not hating, i like the Mavs.

I'm sorry but adding Gortat and Ariza will not result in another 7-8 seed ... Come on now .. Just like this team was suppose to win no more than 38 Wins like most suggested .. Right ?
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#43 » by HotrodBeaubois » Tue May 27, 2014 11:40 pm

oyoyer wrote:What he's trying to say is there no obvious way for Dallas to acquire another superstar, seeing as how they have been shunned in back to back off seasons by free agents. Their best hope is that MIA loses in the finals and Bosh decides he needs to get paid and be the man again. So he comes home. I think there's a decent chance of that. Less than 50/50 but greater than 25/75. Assuming they max him out and renounce everyone, they have 6 mill give or take to play with before re-signing Dirk and using their exceptions in that scenario.

Not saying Bosh would come home to Dallas or even that I want him . But

Dirk $10 Million
Bosh $18.4 Million
Carter $2.5 Million
Harris $2.7 Million Room exception

Dallas then trades Wright + Ellington + Mekel + Picks for Deng SNT $12.9 Million or less ( Maybe a 3 team ? )

Or trade Wright + Mekel + Picks for Ariza SNT $8.8 Million or less ( Maybe a 3 team ? )

If you do the Ariza trade you can either trade Ellington + Picks for a player making $4.2 Million or less or trade Ellington + Cash for Cap space giving you another $2.7 Million

Say you do the Ariza trade and trade Ellington for Cap space . The $2.7 Million Cap Space goes to Marion

PG-Calderon / Harris / Larkin
SG-Ellis / Carter / Ledo
SF-Ariza / Marion / Crowder
PF-Dirk / Vet Min / Boston 2nd
C-Bosh / Dalembert / Dallas 2nd
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#44 » by Smitty731 » Mon Jun 2, 2014 2:40 pm

Updated OP on 6/2.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,820

Post#45 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jun 2, 2014 3:06 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Updated OP on 6/2.

Thanks.

Couple quick comments from a Mavs guy:

James probably won't get a QO.
I think they probably waive the rights to all the FA's including Dirk. The relationships with Dirk, Vince, Marion, and Harris are really good. If they want them back I think they can work something out, but they aren't going to be the top priorities. Dallas needs to concern themselves with getting some upgrades in first. I could be wrong, but my guess is they waive the holds.

Im sure a range has already been discussed for Dirk. So they wait to do him until after they get some other business done. If they come to him and say Dirk we have to give you the bottom of the range because we can 2 really high quality starters then I have no doubt Dirk is cool with it. If they whiff on top targets, then Dirk gets the top of his range.

Guys like Vince, Harris, and Marion have to understand they have to come behind getting upgraded starters first. I don't see Dallas going above $3M/ for any of those guys and I don't see Vince or Marion getting more than one year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#46 » by Knosh » Mon Jun 2, 2014 3:43 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I know some will disagree with me, but I think the team keeps rights on every FA they have. Blair has value at such a cheap price. Same with Harris.

What kind of value are you talking about? Their cap hold do nothing but reduce the cap space Dallas has.

Otherwise I agree with Texas Chuck for the most part, though I don't see a big problem with giving VC or Marion a second year if the salary is right. Marion for 2 years with the room exception doesn't sound bad and I'd happily give Carter 2 years if he is willing to sign for the vet min.
In 15/16 Ellis likely will opt out to guarantee himself more years and more $/year and Crowder's contract will be up, so I don't expect the Mavs to have cap space the following year and extra years for Marion/VC would only matter to Cuban.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Smitty731 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Updated OP 6/13 to include the Team Option for Jae Crowder being exercised for 2014-2015.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Updated OP on 6/26 to reflect the trade.
Knosh
Starter

Post#49 » by Knosh » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Please please please move Harris and Blair from FA cap holds to FAs renounced. It makes really no sense at all.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Knosh wrote:Please please please move Harris and Blair from FA cap holds to FAs renounced. It makes really no sense at all.

You are right. I keep forgetting to do that part. I'm all in on the soccer game until around 2. I'll make that update when I get back.

Is consensus to remove the holds for Carter, Marion and Nowitzki too? If so, I can make that update as well.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#51 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
Knosh wrote:Please please please move Harris and Blair from FA cap holds to FAs renounced. It makes really no sense at all.

You are right. I keep forgetting to do that part. I'm all in on the soccer game until around 2. I'll make that update when I get back.

Is consensus to remove the holds for Carter, Marion and Nowitzki too? If so, I can make that update as well.

USA USA USA!!!
:usa:
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Knosh
Starter

Post#52 » by Knosh » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Smitty731 wrote:

Gonna watch soccer too, but probably not rooting for the same team. ;)

Not sure on the other three. Dirk will definitely be back, VC and Marion might, but for a lot less than their cap holds. I fully expect the Mavs to spend $10 mil or more on new guys. Either using cap space or maybe another trade, taking back extra salary. I also think that they end up using the Room exception, not the full MLE. But I wouldn't say that they have $25 mil "real" cap space, because a chunck of that will go to Dirk...
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:00 pm

Updated OP on 6/26 at 4:00 PM EST to reflect Chandler's correct amount after trade kicker and to also remove Blair and Harris cap holds. I haven't taken Carter, Marion, or Nowitzki off yet. Something is nagging at me that isn't the way the team is going. I may be wrong. Probably am wrong actually! :)
Dunham32
Junior
And1: 173

Post#54 » by Dunham32 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:14 pm

You would only keep a cap hold if you plan on going over the cap to sign them to a LARGER contract. The Mavs will not keep the cap holds for Dirk, Carter, or Marion because they will not be getting LARGER contracts. Keeping the cap holds make no sense
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Smitty731 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Updated OP on 6/27 to reflect updated projection of the team renouncing Carter, Marion and Nowitzki.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Smitty731 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 3:50 pm

Updated OP on 7/1 to reflect current standing.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Dallas Mavericks Cap Space 

Post#57 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:10 pm

Updated OP on 7/5 to reflect resigning of Dirk Nowtizki.
Knosh
Starter

Post#58 » by Knosh » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:31 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Updated OP on 7/5 to reflect resigning of Dirk Nowtizki.

FWIW the inital report about Dirk said "ballpark of $30 mil" and then the local ESPN guy tweeted this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/485082700207095808[/tweet]

Asked him about it. The number he got was "slightly north of $18M", the "4/$75M" is him guesstimating the total number with max raises without a calculator (wrong). Dallas wouldn't have $18 mil + for Melo though, if Dirk got $30 mil.

So Dirk might actually get less or they have some kind of trade lined up...
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:39 pm

Knosh wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:Updated OP on 7/5 to reflect resigning of Dirk Nowtizki.

FWIW the inital report about Dirk said "ballpark of $30 mil" and then the local ESPN guy tweeted this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/485082700207095808[/tweet]

Asked him about it. The number he got was "slightly north of $18M", the "4/$75M" is him guesstimating the total number with max raises without a calculator (wrong). Dallas wouldn't have $18 mil + for Melo though, if Dirk got $30 mil.

So Dirk might actually get less or they have some kind of trade lined up...

Yeah I saw the same thing. I estimated Dirk at a flat 10 per season for now. I know that is probably not correct, but I haven't seen anyone suggest an actual first year salary yet.

I think they can still get to 18 million for Carmelo if they renounce their remaining FAs and then do some sort of deal involving their minimum salary guys. (Orlando, Philly, someone else who emerges with space?). Or by renouncing their FAs and moving Brandan Wright.

But I thought the same thing. Which brings me to a pet peeve. These guys are supposed to be professional reporters. I think they should have at least a basic understanding of the Cap and where things actually stand. There are so many sources out there to get the info. Just check. Like the guys reporting that Miami has 55 million in space. In reality, Miami has no space at all. Not even close actually. Or one of the guys who reported that the Spurs had close to 30 million. At no point did they have that, nor were they even close. Just irresponsible to me. And now I will get down off my soapbox.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Smitty731 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 9:26 pm

Updated OP on 7/6 to reflect resigning of Devin Harris.

Return to Trades and Transactions