Dallas Mavericks Cap Space

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Dallas Mavericks Cap Space 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Updated 3/4 with the signing of Bernard James for the remainder of the season.

Current Cap Space: None. $11,949,621.00 over
Maximum Cap Space: None. $11,949,621.00 over (if all options/guarantees were not picked up, all FAs renounced, no draft picks were to be signed this season, and all Exceptions were renounced)
Luxury Tax Space: $1,715,618.00
Tax Apron Room: $5,715,618.00
2015-2016 Maximum Cap Space: $33,710,124.00

How I got there:

Guaranteed Contracts (15): Al-Farouq Aminu, Jose Juan Barea, Tyson Chandler, Monta Ellis, Raymond Felton, Devin Harris, Bernard James, Richard Jefferson, Dirk Nowitzki, Chandler Parsons, Dwight Powell, Rajon Rondo, Greg Smith, Amar'e Stoudemire, Charlie Villanueva

Partial\Non-Guaranteed Contracts Kept to date (0): None

Carried Money (7): Eric Griffin ($150,000.00), Bernard James 1 ($915,243.00), Bernard James 2 ($53,838.00), Bernard James 3 ($53,838.00), Ivan Johnson ($25,000.00), Ricardo Ledo ($816,482.00), Gal Mekel ($816,482.00)

FA Cap Holds (0): None

Draft Pick Holds (0): None (Petteri Koponen removed by agreeing not to sign in NBA this year)

Expected Exceptions: Room Exception used on Jameer Nelson. No BAE due to going under the Cap. No TPEs.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Re: Dallas Mavericks "Real" Cap Space 

Post#2 » by giberish » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:09 pm

While not a Dallas fan, the general expectation is that the Mavs plan to renounce the rights for Carter and Marion to free up cap space, then possibly resign one with room MLE money. They might even resign both depending on how their other cap space is used (one with left-over cap space, the other with room MLE). If Marion is getting $6M/yr they'll likely let him walk.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,830

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Dallas is definitely renouncing Blair,Marion, Carter almost certainly Harris and maybe even Dirk(as a bookkeeping matter only)

No way Marion comes back anywhere near that number if at all.

Dallas plans on having close to $20M to spend on top of bringing back Dirk.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Dirk's not taking a 50% "hometown" discount. TBH, I think Chicago and Houston are in a great position to land him, when either or both of them lose out on Melo.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Dirk's not taking a 50% "hometown" discount. TBH, I think Chicago and Houston are in a great position to land him, when either or both of them lose out on Melo.

What makes you think Dirk won't take a 50% discount? Both Duncan and KG did it. I think Dirk wants to win more than make money. He's made plenty of money. He has been open about only wanting to play in Dallas. I think you'll see him on the Duncan/KG deal of 10-12 million.
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#6 » by Knosh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Agree on Dalembert. If there were a scenario where they really needed to create cap space, I do think that there is a market for him, so waiving him really shouldn't be an option.

Don't see James getting a QO. Maybe they choose to keep his bird rights without giving a QO, which would save them $200k. Or they just hope that he is still available after they used their cap and offer him a vet min then, which would save them an additional $400k. IHe is a end of bench guy. If he isn't available, they will find another end of bench guy.

Afaik, not renouncing Blair and Harris doesn't do anything besides blocking cap space? They had one year deals, so there are no bird rights in play.

Marion seems to be high indeed. I could see Carter getting the room exception, so $3m isn't that far off I guess.

I would think that dumping Ellington is on the table, if an opportunity presents itself.

Btw, someone needs to go. Dallas has 15 players right now, you say they are going to bring all of them back (they also have two second rounders in this draft) and then you say they can add one or two pieces. They actually can't.

Your numbers also don't seem to add up? total salaries +rookies + Dirk + Marion + Carter (using your numbers) sould be about $51m. So are they spending $6m-$7m on Harris, Blair and James?! That would be way too much imo.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#7 » by avon barksdale » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Dirk's not taking a 50% "hometown" discount. TBH, I think Chicago and Houston are in a great position to land him, when either or both of them lose out on Melo.

What makes you think Dirk won't take a 50% discount? Both Duncan and KG did it. I think Dirk wants to win more than make money. He's made plenty of money. He has been open about only wanting to play in Dallas. I think you'll see him on the Duncan/KG deal of 10-12 million.

Came here to post this exactly not sure how much he sees dirk making but he was never the all around player Duncan or kg was, he can still score but provides nothing defensively and very little on the glass and he's been ineffective for the most part in fourth quarters this season so a 3 for 30 deal at his age is very generous
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 pm

He's playing in Dallas next year. No question about that at all. Money is up in the air, but I'd take the under on half of $23M next year
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Avon,

Just so Im clear on your position: Josh Smith @ over $40M over the next 3 years represents better value than Dirk at 3/30?
avon barksdale
Banned User

Post#10 » by avon barksdale » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm

I definitely think we'll also renounce James Ellington and Wright can and probably should be moved to free up more cap
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Smitty731 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Knosh wrote:Marion seems to be high indeed. I could see Carter getting the room exception, so $3m isn't that far off I guess.

Btw, someone needs to go. Dallas has 15 players right now, you say they are going to bring all of them back (they also have two second rounders in this draft) and then you say they can add one or two pieces. They actually can't.

Your numbers also don't seem to add up? total salaries +rookies + Dirk + Marion + Carter (using your numbers) sould be about $51m. So are they spending $6m-$7m on Harris, Blair and James?! That would be way too much imo.

I am probably high on Marion. I don't know if he'll take that big of a cut from current. That is my challenge.

I never said they are bringing them all back. In fact, I don't think they do. Just because you hold on to a Cap Hold and don't renounce, doesn't mean they all come back. I said maybe on Blair for sure. I think they might also let someone else go. This was just my best guess as an outsider. I assume a Mavs fan would know better, so that is why I am curious to see those thoughts. Regardless, for a playoff team, the Mavs are in pretty phenomenol shape cap-wise. Light years away from where they used to be when it was constant cap purgatory!
Knosh
Starter

Post#12 » by Knosh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Doesn't sound like Chicago and Houston are in a great position at all tbh.

http://youtube.com/v/fyV5c-Cd4yg?start=357&end=399

(Embedding doesn't seem to work with the start and end times :()
Knosh
Starter

Post#13 » by Knosh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
Knosh wrote:Marion seems to be high indeed. I could see Carter getting the room exception, so $3m isn't that far off I guess.

I am probably high on Marion. I don't know if he'll take that big of a cut from current. That is my challenge.

I never said they are bringing them all back. In fact, I don't think they do. Just because you hold on to a Cap Hold and don't renounce, doesn't mean they all come back. I said maybe on Blair for sure. I think they might also let someone else go. This was just my best guess as an outsider. I assume a Mavs fan would know better, so that is why I am curious to see those thoughts. Regardless, for a playoff team, the Mavs are in pretty phenomenol shape cap-wise. Light years away from where they used to be when it was constant cap purgatory!

Yeah so let's just say Marion, Carter and Dirk are back at the numbers you suggested. That would be $51m all in all (Not even taking into account that Carter might take the room exception). So if Blair, Harris and James aren't a given how do you get to:

Smitty731 wrote:That would then leave the Mavs with space of about 5.6 million.

I'm not nitpicking here, just trying to figure out if I missed something?
avon barksdale
Banned User

Post#14 » by avon barksdale » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Avon,

Just so Im clear on your position: Josh Smith @ over $40M over the next 3 years represents better value than Dirk at 3/30?

No but Im not convinced dirk as his current age will be productive for 3 more years he'll always score well but he's a big liability defensively and on the glass josh is younger far more superior athletically superior defender and rebounder
avon barksdale
Banned User

Post#15 » by avon barksdale » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 pm

As a mavs fan I don't want Marion back for anything beyond the minimum we gotta move on from these old guys with he and vince
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#16 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 pm

I seriously did not intend to derail this discussion, but I feel it needed to be said. Dallas is spinning its wheels. Loyalty is one thing, but if you were Nowitzki, with which core would you want to spend the last 2-3 years of your career vying for a ring:

-- Rose, Butler, Mirotic and Noah
-- Harden, Parsons and Howard
-- Calderón, Ellis and, for example, Deng

I'm even being optimistic for the air of the argument, that Dallas would land Luol, when do many other teams have money to pursue so few impact FA's this summer. Dirk is younger than Duncan and Garnett were when they took their last deals, and is still HIGHLY coveted around the league. IMO, Cuban is not foolish enough to let him walk by under-bidding. But if he does, Dirk will depart, and I say good for him.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
avon barksdale
Banned User

Post#17 » by avon barksdale » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I seriously did not intend to derail this discussion, but I feel it needed to be said. Dallas is spinning its wheels. Loyalty is one thing, but if you were Nowitzki, with which core would you want to spend the last 2-3 years of your career vying for a ring:

I'm even being optimistic for the air of the argument, that Dallas would land Luol, when do many other teams have money to pursue so few impact FA's this summer. Dirk is younger than Duncan and Garnett were when they took their last deals, and is still HIGHLY coveted around the league. IMO, Cuban is not foolish enough to let him walk by under-bidding. But if he does, Dirk will depart, and I say good for him.

Rose cant walk and chew gum without getting hurt if Chicago does bid heavy on dirk they'll have no money for mirotic and butler is average at best as for Houston he wont be the focal point on offensive he hived nothing on defense or rebounding and he older so why pay him big money as for kg his contract looks awful right now and Duncan gets tons of rest but he's still an elite defender and rebounder for his position
Texas Chuck

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Go read quotes by Dirk on this is all I can tell you. He and Cuban have been extremely loyal to each other and will continue to be. Obviously if his priority was to ring chase he could find a better spot, but while he desperately wants to win, he wants to do it in Dallas. And his team just won nearly 50 games in the toughest conference ever and will have tons of cap space with which to improve the team.

He's not leaving. Ever.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#19 » by bondom34 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Go read quotes by Dirk on this is all I can tell you. He and Cuban have been extremely loyal to each other and will continue to be. Obviously if his priority was to ring chase he could find a better spot, but while he desperately wants to win, he wants to do it in Dallas. And his team just won nearly 50 games in the toughest conference ever and will have tons of cap space with which to improve the team.

He's not leaving. Ever.

One reason I've started to like Dirk so much. Hope KD is the same.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Knosh
Starter

Post#20 » by Knosh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:20 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I seriously did not intend to derail this discussion, but I feel it needed to be said. Dallas is spinning its wheels. Loyalty is one thing, but if you were Nowitzki, with which core would you want to spend the last 2-3 years of your career vying for a ring:

So you are listing Butler, Mirotic and Parsons as reasons to leave, but all the Mavs have to offer is Calderon, Ellis and Deng (if they are lucky?)?

The Mavs have plenty of cap space. Assuming Dirk takes the $10m, they can bring Deng in to replace Marion, spend about $10m more on free agents, bring back Carter or Harris for the room exception and then they still might be able to do some more work in trades.
And we are talking about a team that has won only 5 games less than Houston, which you make out to be such a superior option...

Return to Trades and Transactions