Washington Wizards Cap Space

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Washington Wizards Cap Space 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Updated 4/17 with signing of Will Bynum for the remainder of the season.

Current Cap Space: None. $10,419,287.00 over
Maximum Cap Space: None. $10,419,287.00 over (if all options/guarantees were not picked up, all FAs renounced, no draft picks were to be signed this season, and all Exceptions were renounced)
Luxury Tax Space: $3,344,713.00
Tax Apron Space: $7,344,713.00
Hard Capped due to using Non-Taxpayer MLE on Paul Pierce and DeJuan Blair and Kris Humphries Sign & Trades
2015-2016 Maximum Cap Space: $273,781.00

How I got there:

Guaranteed Contracts (15): DeJuan Blair, Bradley Beal, Rasual Butler, Will Bynum, Drew Gooden, Marcin Gortat, Nene Hilario, Kris Humphries, Paul Pierce, Otto Porter, Kevin Seraphin, Ramon Sessions, Garrett Temple, John Wall, Martell Webster

Partial/Non-Guaranteed Contracts Kept to date (0): None

Carried Money (4): Will Bynum ($53,838.00), Toure' Murry 1 ($48,028.00), Toure' Murry 2 ($48,028.00), Glen Rice Jr. ($400,000.00)

FA Cap Holds (1): Al Harrington

Draft Pick Holds (0): None

Current Exceptions: Non-Taxpayer Exception used on Paul Pierce. No BAE because they used it last year. TPEs of $4,625,000.00 (Andre Miller), $2,252,089.00 (Trevor Ariza).
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Washington Wizards "Real" Cap Space 

Post#2 » by fishercob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Maximum Cap Space: $16,189,888.00 (if all options were not picked up and all FAs renounced and no draft picks were to be signed this season)
Projected "Real" Cap Space: None

How I got there:

Guaranteed Contracts (5): Bradley Beal, Nene Hilario, Otto Porter, John Wall, Martell Webster

Non-Guaranteed Contracts Kept (2): Andre Miller, Glen Rice Jr.

Restricted FAs given Qualifying Offers (1): Trevor Booker

FA Cap Holds (4): Tevor Ariza, Drew Gooden, Marcin Gortat, Al Harrington

FAs Renounced/Players Waived (3): Kevin Seraphin, Chris Singleton, Garrett Temple

Draft Pick Holds (0): None

Expected Exceptions (at the start of FA, may change after Roster decisions are made): MLE Non-Tax Exception at $5,305,000.00. No BAE because they used it last year. Also, TPEs of $2,016,000.00 (Eric Maynor) and $1,254,660.00 (Emeka Okafor)

Line of Thinking:
For a team that finally took the step forward and in to the playoffs again, they have a little bit a rough cap situation. Not terrible, but a bit rough. I think they will look to keep Ariza and Gortat. Both have been big parts of their success this year. Once they are resolved, it removes their holds and potentially starts to free up space. Maybe they let Ariza walk if they are convinced that Porter is ready to play. Right now, Porter is kind of a disaster of a pick. Maybe not quite as bad as Anthony Bennett, but they are running a close race. To get nothing for that money, hurts. I think they make a QO to Booker as he’s a nice player to have on a good team. Andre Miller is worth keeping around, as waiving him doesn’t enough to offset having to get a quality backup PG. They’ve looked for a couple of years for a quality backup to Wall and seem to finally have one. I think he stays. Rice Jr. doesn’t make enough to be prohibitive. Seraphin is not worth the QO. Even for a team without cap space, there is no reason to keep him. I’d let Singleton and Temple go, as they are replacement level guys at best anyway. No cap space means no reason to not hang on to rights for Gooden and Harrington. They can also let them go. Those guys are minimum salary guys from this point forward, so it doesn’t really matter. The Wizards finally took the step forward, now they have to maintain what they have and add some pieces to take the next step to true contender status.

Excellent breakdown and I agree with most of it. Just one disagreement: There's a high level of organizational belief in Porter. His season was derailed by a combination of a summer injury that caused him to miss all of Summer League and training camp, as well as two quality, established vets at his position -- Ariza and Webster. I'm not worried about him; he's not Jan Vesely. Give him a healthy offseason and I think he'll be a viable rotation guy next year. He's in their plans; if they are able to retain Ariza, I think they'll look to move Webster.

Gooden will still be on the Bucks' payroll next year, so I definitely think they will try to bring him back for the minimum. Drew gets the same money regardless.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 pm

fishercob wrote:
Excellent breakdown and I agree with most of it. Just one disagreement: There's a high level of organizational belief in Porter. His season was derailed by a combination of a summer injury that caused him to miss all of Summer League and training camp, as well as two quality, established vets at his position -- Ariza and Webster. I'm not worried about him; he's not Jan Vesely. Give him a healthy offseason and I think he'll be a viable rotation guy next year. He's in their plans; if they are able to retain Ariza, I think they'll look to move Webster.

Gooden will still be on the Bucks' payroll next year, so I definitely think they will try to bring him back for the minimum. Drew gets the same money regardless.

I hope I am wrong on Porter. I loved him in last year's draft. I thought he was going to the most ready to play guy in the draft potentially. And I loved the fit in DC too. They needed a SF, and I thought he fit the bill nicely. Hopefully he makes it!
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#4 » by WizardsWorld » Wed May 28, 2014 9:15 am

Ya nice job ! Unlike a lot of our fans on here, I'm expecting our roster next year to look almost identical to the way it ended this year. I think we'll re-sign Gortat, Ariza, Booker, Gooden and Miller. Let Harrington, Seraphin, Singleton, Temple take a walk. Maybe a Webster trade... but I like having the guy on the team. As for me don't see us making any big moves or signings(although we'll probably inquire on Monroe... and realize we don't wanna pay him Max money). I could see us looking at a guy like Patrick Patterson. That'd be prob around the biggest name guy we will try to sign or trade for.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 am

Hoping for Porter too; unlike most here, I don't want to see Ariza back. I think whoever signs him will be in the same situation Houston was after -- with a mediocre overpaid player (last year was considerably above his established level). Gortat I like, just depends on what else is out there. I don't think he's played with us long enough to establish any loyalty so I think we have to pay market or above to retain him so I'd look around at least.

Don't want Harrington back; not as down on Seraphin and Temple as the OP though not expecting either to be more than a reserve.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#6 » by mhd » Wed May 28, 2014 11:42 am

I think its a lock Gooden resigns. He's getting paid by the Bucks, so the Wiz can resign him for the vet min. He lives in the area, and said he's not cleaning out his locker.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#7 » by verbal8 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Nice write-up. I agree except on Porter. Good inclusion on the Maynor TPE, that might come in handy since the BAE was wasted last year.

I think Porter is more comprable to Len and McCollum where they really are still an unknown as an NBA player. Bennett is clearly a disappointment for a number 1 pick, however he is still young so being a productive NBA player is still a possibility.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#8 » by Dat2U » Wed May 28, 2014 4:11 pm

I'd let Ariza go, I think Porter is capable of playing well... next season. I saw signs at the end of this season that Porter was starting to adjust to the NBA game. Maybe he won't be at Ariza's level immediately, but I think he's good enough to where we really won't really lose ground to other teams in Ariza's absence.

I'd also actively look to move Nene & Webster. Webster to NO for & Jeff Withey & rights to Pierre Jackson is one I'd be all over. I'd even include a 2nd rounder to get it done.

With a Nene deal, I'd be targeting Omer Asik. In that case, I'd let Gortat go. If I couldn't make a deal for Asik, T. Chandler, L. Sanders or Varejao prior to free agency I'd likely re-up Gortat.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,902

Post#9 » by TGW » Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'd let Ariza go, I think Porter is capable of playing well... next season. I saw signs at the end of this season that Porter was starting to adjust to the NBA game. Maybe he won't be at Ariza's level immediately, but I think he's good enough to where we really won't really lose ground to other teams in Ariza's absence.

I'd also actively look to move Nene & Webster. Webster to NO for & Jeff Withey & rights to Pierre Jackson is one I'd be all over. I'd even include a 2nd rounder to get it done.

With a Nene deal, I'd be targeting Omer Asik. In that case, I'd let Gortat go. If I couldn't make a deal for Asik, T. Chandler, L. Sanders or Varejao prior to free agency I'd likely re-up Gortat.

What's your ideal roster looking like next year under that scenario?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#10 » by Dat2U » Wed May 28, 2014 4:41 pm

TGW wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I'd let Ariza go, I think Porter is capable of playing well... next season. I saw signs at the end of this season that Porter was starting to adjust to the NBA game. Maybe he won't be at Ariza's level immediately, but I think he's good enough to where we really won't really lose ground to other teams in Ariza's absence.

Well looking at it, a Nene/Asik deal is hard to pull off unless we take Lin as well :-?. Maybe if we could siphon Lin off to a third team but I'm having trouble finding something feasible.

But just say for example we came away with Tyson Chandler for Nene, unlikely but just to give an idea...

CE Tyson Chandler / NEED / Jeff Withey
PF NEED / Drew Gooden
SF Otto Porter / NEED
SG Bradley Beal / NEED / Glen Rice Jr
PG John Wall / Pierre Jackson

That's the roster before free agency. By trading Webster and releasing Miller ... were probably closer to $20 million in cap room with one starting spot and a bench to fill.

The PF spot would be a hard one to fill, I wouldn't necessarily use free agency to fill it... I'd be looking at potential trades where we simply take on salary and maybe offer a pick to get a deal done. If Chicago lands Love or Melo and Gibson has to be dealt... that would be my 1st choice. Would Atlanta be willing to deal Millsap? Is Amir Johnson available... those are the types of guys I'd be trying to procure.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#11 » by verbal8 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Dat2U wrote:
TGW wrote:

Well looking at it, a Nene/Asik deal is hard to pull off unless we take Lin as well :-?. Maybe if we could siphon Lin off to a third team but I'm having trouble finding something feasible.

But just say for example we came away with Tyson Chandler for Nene, unlikely but just to give an idea...

CE Tyson Chandler / NEED / Jeff Withey
PF NEED / Drew Gooden
SF Otto Porter / NEED
SG Bradley Beal / NEED / Glen Rice Jr
PG John Wall / Pierre Jackson

That's the roster before free agency. By trading Webster and releasing Miller ... were probably closer to $20 million in cap room with one starting spot and a bench to fill.

The PF spot would be a hard one to fill, I wouldn't necessarily use free agency to fill it... I'd be looking at potential trades where we simply take on salary and maybe offer a pick to get a deal done. If Chicago lands Love or Melo and Gibson has to be dealt... that would be my 1st choice. Would Atlanta be willing to deal Millsap? Is Amir Johnson available... those are the types of guys I'd be trying to procure.

If Boozer is amnestied, that might be an option as a fill-in PF.
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by WizardsWorld » Wed May 28, 2014 6:30 pm

We're definitely not letting Ariza walk AND trading Webster. Maybe one or the other MAYBE... but at least one of them will be back on the team... and I'm guessing both will.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Smitty731 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 1:29 am

Updated OP on 6/2.
ParkersWorld
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#14 » by ParkersWorld » Mon Jun 9, 2014 7:26 pm

I say we let Ariza & Gortat walk but only if we upgrade (Asik, Love, Parsons, Monroe, Melo, Deng) & I highly doubt someone will take Nene off our hands but if we can find someone who will without taking much back I am all for it.
Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#15 » by nate33 » Mon Jun 9, 2014 8:25 pm

WizardsWorld wrote:We're definitely not letting Ariza walk AND trading Webster. Maybe one or the other MAYBE... but at least one of them will be back on the team... and I'm guessing both will.

Exactly. If Webster and Nene can be moved for expiring contracts, the Wizards can set themselves up for max cap space in 2015 even after resigning Ariza and Gortat. That's the ideal scenario in my opinion. If keeps the main core in place and playoff hopes alive, while also providing an opportunity to add an impact player to the core of Wall, Beal, Ariza, Gortat, (and hopefully Porter). Kevin Love would be the perfect fit.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Smitty731 » Mon Jun 9, 2014 8:27 pm

Webster and Wall both have the same agent and the team taking care of Webster was reportedly one of the reasons that Wall considered when signing his extension. I don't think Webster is going anywhere. And after a huge step forward, they aren't going in to the season with only Otto Porter at SF. I think this team wants to continue to improve.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#17 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 9, 2014 9:05 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Webster and Wall both have the same agent and the team taking care of Webster was reportedly one of the reasons that Wall considered when signing his extension. I don't think Webster is going anywhere. And after a huge step forward, they aren't going in to the season with only Otto Porter at SF. I think this team wants to continue to improve.

It was? By whom?

I would think the $80,000,000 was the the primary reason that Wall signed his extension -- particularly when the team would have been perfectly justified in waiting until seeing what they had in Wall before maxing him out.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by WizardsWorld » Mon Jun 9, 2014 11:03 pm

nate33 wrote:
WizardsWorld wrote:We're definitely not letting Ariza walk AND trading Webster. Maybe one or the other MAYBE... but at least one of them will be back on the team... and I'm guessing both will.

Exactly. If Webster and Nene can be moved for expiring contracts, the Wizards can set themselves up for max cap space in 2015 even after resigning Ariza and Gortat. That's the ideal scenario in my opinion. If keeps the main core in place and playoff hopes alive, while also providing an opportunity to add an impact player to the core of Wall, Beal, Ariza, Gortat, (and hopefully Porter). Kevin Love would be the perfect fit.

Other than your kevin love comment, I can live with the rest of that scenario as long as we don't take too big of a step backwards. I do want to keep Nene... but if we can get someone on his ability level with an expiring deal, than we may go that route. However at the end of the day I don't see the Wiz moving Nene, or getting a deal for him that would be worth it.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Smitty731 » Mon Jun 9, 2014 11:10 pm

fishercob wrote:
It was? By whom?

I would think the $80,000,000 was the the primary reason that Wall signed his extension -- particularly when the team would have been perfectly justified in waiting until seeing what they had in Wall before maxing him out.

I remember hearing Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons talk about it quite a bit when that deal was being signed. I'm not saying it was a deciding factor or anything, but it was out there. Jalen, in particular, talks a lot about the agent stuff. And he's rarely off when he talks about that kind of stuff.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#20 » by sportscrazy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:35 pm

If Washington let Trevor Ariza go, how much cap space would they have?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.

Return to Trades and Transactions