2014-2015 NBA team needs and trade block (POST YOURS)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Re: 2014-2015 NBA team needs and trade block (POST YOURS) 

Post#21 » by darkangle901 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 12:53 pm

Grizzlies have very few movable pieces and really one need only.

On the block: Tayshaun Prince (expiring 7.7m)

Movable pieces (for the right player or package): Courtney Lee, Kosta Koufos, Nick Calathes, maybe Tony Allen

Not available: Gasol, Conley, and Randolph because of his contract situation

Needs: shooters. Preferably 3-D wings. Offensive talent of any kind will be considered. SF in particular is a major question mark right now.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using RealGM Forums mobile app
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#22 » by loserX » Tue Jun 3, 2014 4:02 pm

At this point, hard to say for Utah. Right now our roster looks like this:

C: Favors/Kanter/Gobert
PF: Jeremy Evans/Malcolm Thomas (ung)/Erik Murphy (ung)
SF: ?
SG: Burks/Ian Clark (ung)
PG: Burke/Lucas (ung)/Garrett (ung)

We also have Hayward's RFA rights and two first rounders to help fill out the roster.

If we want to try to win, there are a lot of needs. (I'd love a young lead scorer that can grow with this young team, but who wouldn't?) In any case a good SG, depth at the 3/4, and a real backup PG would help.

If we're content "developing" again, then it doesn't really matter and we'll just tinker in the FA bargain bin.
We will also have loads of capspace again even if Hayward gets a big contract, so we can sell it for assets, but I also know it's a buyer's market this year. We also have all our picks plus GSW's 2014, and 2017 unrestricted.

Not very helpful, I'm sure. The team can really go either way this offseason and the Jazz are notoriously secretive so it's hard to tell what we intend to do.
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#23 » by Baller2014 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 4:27 pm

Kanter is more likely to be your starting 5 than Jeremy Evans is to be the starting 4.
loserX

Post#24 » by loserX » Tue Jun 3, 2014 4:29 pm

Baller2014 wrote:Kanter is more likely to be your starting 5 than Jeremy Evans is to be the starting 4.

Well yeah, Evans isn't starting at any position. In all likelihood we draft either Vonleh or Randle to start.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,551

Post#25 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jun 3, 2014 4:49 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:It is still predraft, but it still seemed like a good time to take a look at what each team needs. Last year we did this at the start of the season, but, now struck me as good as waiting.

So what is your team's trade needs, what sort of return would they be ideally looking for if the traded some assets. What position, what sort of player: stretch 4 or banger, defensive presence or low post option, and any salary restrictions such as no money due for the '13 fa or not over 9m as that puts over the tax, etc).

Let everyone know so we can all make better trades to you team. :wink:

Feel free and add what sort of asset they would be willing to send out in a trade, although that tends to diverge into a whole different debate as to the degree of tradability of each player on a roster (a worthy separate thread).

Also, if your interested here is the list from last year: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1269671 and the year before viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1199664

Atlanta:
Boston: Center, scoring and outside shooting (2/3). Have picks, pf glut, or could trade Rondo
Brooklyn:
Charlotte: Scoring wing, defensive pf. Have 24, Zeller, cap space and #9?
Chicago:
Cleveland:
Dallas: Center and sf (have FA also). Have Ellington, Wright/Dalembert, Larkin? #34, #51, Crowder.
Denver:
Detroit:
Golden State:
Houston:
Indiana: SG, bench (6th man), veteran balance. Have Lance (ufa), could Hibbert or Hill?
Clippers: PF/C depth, backup pg if Collison leaves. Have Dudley, 28
Lakers:
Memphis: SF (shooter, 3&D). Davis is rfa. Prince on block. Have Lee, Koufos, Calathes, Allen?? #22?
Miami:
Milwaukee:
Minnesota:
New Orleans:
New York Knicks:
Oklahoma City: Backup pg, 3 pointer shooter, Center?? Have 21, 29, PJ3, Lamb?
Orlando:
Philadelphia: Looking for youth and future assets. Have Thad Young and ~30m of cap.
Phoenix:
Portland: Looking for bench depth. Have CJ McCollum, Meyers Leonard T. Robinson and Victor Claver
Sacramento:
San Antonio:
Toronto:
Utah: Young scorer, PF, SG, SF/PF depth, backup pg. Hayward is rfa. Have cap space, draft picks.
Washington:

10 of 30?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#26 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Jun 3, 2014 9:26 pm

Brooklyn Nets

Team needs (or at least wants)

1) Chemistry
After a fairly successful 2014 (55 win pace post Jan 1), the Nets were undone by their inability to close out vs. Miami. They were tied or led every game well into the 4th other than game 1 (where they had one day of rest after a game 7 in Toronto), but were unable to hold on to their leads. Some of it was fatigue, some it was coaching, but I think much of it was the chemistry Miami had vs. the lack of chemistry the Nets had.

How they get chemistry is by having most of the team come back and not do another major make-over.

2) Health
D.Will is having surgery on both ankles to have them cleaned out
Lopez is rehabbing his foot
AK had back spasms all year
KG missed plenty of time
etc.

It would be a nice to see this team 100% healthy, which I think we only saw a couple times early on last year.

3) Rebounding
After being a top 2 rebounding team a year ago, the Nets were among the very worst last year. Part of that is because of small ball, some of it was due to Lopez's absence and some it was due to Kidd's insistence on not crashing the offensive boards. Either way, it's an area they need to improve

4)Back up PG - even if Livingston stays, we could use a better back up than Teague or Guitterez. Plus Livingston plays better with the starters and struggled running the second unit.

5)Starting SG if Livingston leaves - I think JJ is a SF at this point in his career. Livingston was effective at SG because of his defense and the shooters around him to mask his lack of shot, but if he leaves (or even if he stays) the Nets need a more reliable option than Thornton and might want a player that doesn't take the ball out of D.Williams hands.

6)Starting PF - Ideally PP comes of the bench next year. There are too many scorers in the starting line-up and we got crushed on the glass with him at PF. Maybe Teletovic will be the starter but I'd still like a more proven one. Given the emphasis on ball movement and shooting in Kidd's offense, I think a player like Ilyasova would be perfect as he can rebound very well and can shoot the 3.

Trade Assets:

Brook Lopez - According to Sam Amico Lopez is "very available". Not sure how reliable a source he is from FoxSports Ohio but he did suggest the Cavs were interested. I would still be surprised if he wasn't on the opening night roster.

Marcus Thornton - And $8.5m expiring contract who can still score, I feel certain he will be shopped.

Mirza Teletovic - really had a good season last year. Improved exponentially on D, rebounded well and had some huge shooting games. However, he expires after this season (restricted) and might be looking for a major pay day and thus cutting into 2016 plans.

Rights to:
Bogdanovic - considered the top Euro owned by an NBA team other than Mirotic by some. He has no contract for next season and thus no buyout this summer. He is a scoring SG/SF who can get to the line.

Karaman - a bruising/tatted up PF with good touch

Bavcic - a large C from the T.Taylor trade to NO.

I don't see anyone else to list as an asset. They either aren't assets because of their contracts (D.Will, JJ), free agents (AK, PP, AA, SL, Blatche), won't be moved (KG, Plumlee) or aren't very good (Teague)

FAs:
(with my best guess at their odds staying)

Andray Blatche - hearing the team doesn't want him back, which I think is a mistake. He's durable, talented and efficient. But he has a poor work ethic and their might not be minutes. (20% chance of staying)

Andrei Kirilenko - hopefully he stays around because of his comfort level with the team and Prokhorov but Kidd didn't do him any favors by not playing him enough in the POs and ticking him and his wife off. (65% chance of staying)

Paul Pierce - hearing he's very likely to stay and the Nets can offer him the most money and whatever role he wants. (75% chance of staying.)

Alan Anderson - might be able to opt out and get more money and PT. (35% chance staying)

Shaun Livingston - the toughest one to gauge. The best the Nets can offer is the tax payer MLE but he's worth more than that. (50/50)

Jason Collins - retires. (5% chance of being back)

Projected Line-up

Deron Williams / Marquis Teague
Shaun Livingston* / Marcus Thornton
Joe Johnson / Andrei Kirielnko*
Paul Pierce* / Mirza Teletovic
Brook Lopez / Mason Plumlee / Kevin Garnett
+
Purchased 2nd rounder
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#27 » by Baller2014 » Wed Jun 4, 2014 1:11 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:10 of 30?

10? No, you had 11.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#28 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 5, 2014 7:00 pm

Nets

Needs: SG. a better version of livingston. and if piece leaves, a small ball PF (note, small ball 4, not stretch 4). Also, athleticism in general, and rebounding(especially if loepz stays).

Trade block: Lopez, Williams, Teletovic, Bogdanovic, Thornton

I agree with TJ that chemistry is important, but disagree with him on hwo to get there. Pierce starting at PF was a major reason for our success. we got killed on the boards but we gained a ton in other areas. we defended better, we created more turnovers, our ball movement improved. And we didnt have in issue with not enough shots, since KG and Livingston and plumlee arent guys who need alot of shots.

i think we just need to keep the core in 2014 together (Dwill-Livingston-AA-JJ-Pierce-Plumlee-KG) and then add similar pieces to that core. id move lopez for picks/cap space/athlete and draft tweener athletes.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#29 » by Troubadour » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Toronto Raptors

Projected 2014-2015 Depth Chart

Kyle Lowry (FA) / Greivis Vasquez (RFA)
DeMar DeRozan / Nando de Colo (FA)
Terrence Ross / John Salmons (UNG - will likely be bought out)
Amir Johnson / Patrick Patterson (RFA)
Jonas Valanciunas / Chuck Hayes

Assets: #20, #37, #59

Priorities

Re-Sign Kyle Lowry
We need him back. If we lose him and miss out on someone like Eric Bledsoe, this team will take a step back next year. For what it's worth, DeMar DeRozan does not seem even the slightest bit concerned about Lowry's free agent status. We could live without Patterson or Vasquez, but it would be nice to bring the whole gang back together. Masai Ujiri values chemistry above all else and this team had it in spades.

Wing Depth
We need someone (starter or rotation player) who can guard bigger wings consistently and hit the three. With John Salmons probably being bought out, there is going to be a wide open spot in the depth chart for a wing to play 20 minutes per game.

Shot Blocker
Our rotation of Valanciunas / Amir / Patterson worked against the Nets, but we may struggle with that rotation against bigger teams. Jordan Hill would be the ideal free agent signing for this roster.

Move Up in the Draft
The belief is that Ujiri wants to move up in the draft, so we'd probably give up some value to do that.

Trading Block:

Masai Ujiri would never rule out trading a player, but I'll rank them from "very available" to "unlikely to be traded."

1. John Salmons
If we can get something in exchange for his $1M buyout, we'll make the trade. This would be ideal for teams trying to carve out cap space.

2. Chuck Hayes / Steve Novak
Won't be anything more than filler in a trade. They seem to like playing here, so no one's pushing them out of town.

There's a big drop at this point. Any player listed after here would take a competitive offer.

3. Terrence Ross
Talented player on a rookie deal who can guard and hit the three. Only question mark is whether he is big enough to play the 3 opposite DeRozan.

4. DeMar DeRozan
He had a phenomenal year and projects to get even better in 2014-2015. We'd only move him for a Top 8 pick or a blue chip prospect / superstar (as part of a package, of course). The Raptors organization loves him for his work ethic, so while he may be one of our most tradeable assets, I just don't see it happening this off-season. If we end up hovering around .500 next season, he'll probably be moved at the deadline.

5. Amir Johnson
The guy is basically the mayor of Toronto, which makes it even harder to trade him. He adds so much defensively and can contribute offensively (see: 1st quarter of Game 7 against Brooklyn) when it matters. Unless we're packaging him and DeMar for a superstar, he's not getting moved.

6. Jonas Valanciunas
He's not getting traded unless we're getting a Top 3 pick in this draft. Organization loves him.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#30 » by teerfour+40LG » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:43 am

SACRAMENTO KINGS (March 10 2015)
=====================================================================

WANTS & NEEDS
#1 Backup C.
#2 Stretch 4.
#3 Experienced NBA level SG.
#4 Better passing.
#5 Better shooting.
#6 Better steals.
#7 Better shot blocking.

=====================================================================

ROSTER & DEPTH CHART
Darren Collison / Andre Miller / Ray McCallum
Ben McLemore / Nik Stauskas
Rudy Gay / Omri Casspi /
Jason Thompson / Derrick Williams / Carl Landry / Reggie Evans / Eric Moreland
DeMarcus Cousins / Ryan Hollins

SALARIES & TRADE MACHINE & BKREF
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAC/2015.htm
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#31 » by Baller2014 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:03 am

Baller2014 wrote:"A defensively minded power forward who can hit his mid range jumper. We would like to draft 1 spot ahead of the Thunder this year, but we won't overpay to do so. We won't screw up our cap space in 2015, and are not trading Kawhi"

Still waiting for this to be added.
loserX

Post#32 » by loserX » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Updating again post-draft: well, we're pretty pleased with how yesterday turned out. We got a very promising young guard and an enticing young wing, so that's two big items checked off.

C: Favors/Kanter/Gobert
PF: Jeremy Evans/Malcolm Thomas (ung)/Erik Murphy (ung)
SF: Hood
SG: Exum/Burks/Ian Clark (ung)
PG: Burke/Lucas (ung)/Garrett (ung)

Now basically content with the guard rotation: Exum/Burks/Burke can handle most of it. Would still like a veteran depth PG better than Lucas (which wouldn't be hard), but with fewer minutes now available it's not a need that requires a lot of value put into addressing it.

We still need do see what happens with Hayward. If he re-signs, great; if he walks we'll need a guy to at least split minutes with Hood.

I was expecting a PF in the draft (presumably Vonleh at #5) and that obviously didn't happen, so that's our biggest need now. Maybe Snyder tries to make Favors/Kanter work, but in any case there's still a hole there.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#33 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Seems like the right time to make an update going into next season. In general, the family recipe remains the same. The main ingredients for a Presti roster are stability, outstanding draft picks and continued internal development seasoned with judicious free agents as required.

The stable part remains first rate. Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Jackson establish the notSonics as legit contenders. Again. And here's where the faithful will cry and claim that we would've won it all if we didn't have to spot the Spurs two games due to Ibaka's injury. To which the critics will taunt "first Westbrook, now Ibaka, so many excuses... your window is closing... bye bye KD". Whatever. We've had two legit shots at the big prize and fell short both times at least in part due to injury. But that's part of sport. Winners talk losers walk. Anyway, here's to hoping none of these four get injured again.

In the outstanding draft pick department I've got to be the first to admit McGary is way better than my original dope smoker big with a back injury assessment. I was all about finding a way to draft Adreian Payne. Who I still think will be a very good player. Then again, I was all about drafting Dieng instead of Adams last year. Anyway, McGary clearly showed in summer league that he could be a decent player at a position of need as Collison isn't getting any younger. As for Josh Huestis, that's a head scratcher. He seems 100% redundant to Roberson. And there were so many other legit players left... KJ McDaniels, Cleanthony Early and Spencer Dinwiddie to name a few. But Huestis is long, athletic and tries hard. We shall see. I love the Christon pick. We need a third PG and we also need insurance against Jackson leaving next summer. Christon has every chance of developing into an NBA backup PG. For sure he will spend next season in Tulsa with Huestis. All in all, this year's class of kids have a chance... especially McGary.

The internal development part is where we need to make our biggest gains. Adams, Lamb, Jones and Roberson all have an opportunity to deliver the goods. This season. Their time is now. If these kids continue to up their games, the notSonics will be a fearsome team. However, if Jones remains tentative, Lamb doesn't defend, Adams fouls too much and Roberson can't hit an open three, then we will have problems getting to the top. In addition, Presti continues building a pipeline of kids requiring longer term development... Pleiß & Abrines are both stashed away in Europe getting better similar to how Jarrett, Huestis & Christon will be stashed away in the NBADL. The hope is that one or more of those kids will be able to contribute in a couple of years or so.

As for the judicious free agents, I love it that KD, Trey and Brooks personally recruited Gasol. He would have been a perfect fit. Unfortunately, Gasol regarded Chicago above OKC in the place to live department. Hurts, but that has got to be expected. Picking up Anthony Morrow on a reasonable contract was smart. That guy can shoot. Telfair... hmmmm. Maybe he makes the team as our third PG and Christon is relegated to NBADL contract like Jerrett did last year. Who knows or really cares? Not the biggest deal.

In the end, the notSonics remain an amazingly young (23 years old on average), championship contending team. The team's main need is just to continue developing internally. While some don't like our grown your own approach, it's working. In fact, this season only 2, maybe 3, of the team members will have ever played an NBA regular season game with any other team. That speaks to the nature and character of the franchise. The other big need is that Brooks must remember the regular season is for getting ready for the playoffs... he needs to focus on developing the kids and diversifying the offense while retaining the team's defensive orientation. Simple as that.

As for trade assets, it's doubtful Presti will be a significant player in the marketplace. However, he will have Perkin's $9.4M expiring contract, a $4.0M TPE from the Sefolosha trade, loads of young talent on rookie deals and a couple of interesting young players (Pleiß and Abrines) stashed in Europe. Whether or not Presti has much interest in trading Perk will likely depend on how Adams continues to develop and what the market has to offer. Most likely scenario is that Perk plays out the season with us and is replaced by Pleiß next year. Another interesting situation will be Jackson... can we resign him next summer? SG is also interesting. Will Lamb, Roberson, Morrow or even PJ3 step up enough? We shall see. So there you have it. Go ahead and make your trade offers. Just don't expect to receive many agreements. Anyway, below are the categories...

Don't bother asking: KD, Trey, iBlockya & Mr Funaki
Seriously, all those crazy trade ideas are just that. Not. Going. Anywhere. Anytime.

Hopefully it's not Harden part II: Jackson
He wants to be a starter. He's really good. He will be a RFA next summer. We'd like him to sign a reasonable contract and be our third guard (~25 minutes). The possibility this situation blows up and is resolved via a trade deadline deal is why Sebastian Telfair will likely make the roster and Semaj Christon gets the Jerrett NBADL arrangement. Unrelated but interesting to note the Harden trade is now complete. Bottom line is that we got Lamb, Adams and McGary for Harden.

The Chuck Norris Award: Collison
There are some guys in the league who seem to play on a different team every year. Most guys play on a few teams during their career. And then there are a select handful of guys in the league, for a variety of reasons, who wind up playing only for one team. Nick's one of them. Seriously.

Worth more to us than to you: Lamb, Roberson, PJ3, McGary, Jerrett, Christon & Huestis
If you don't like our grow your own system... too bad. We do. And we need/expect our kids to grow and contribute beyond what they've demonstrated to date. We will cut them loose if they don't work out (eg Cole Adrich, Byron Mullens, Robert Swift, Mouhamed Sene, etc), but we tend to give them every chance to develop first.

Eurostash: Pleiß & Abrines
As I mentioned earlier, I think Pleiß takes Perkins spot on the roster in 2015/6. Abrines is still quite young. Maybe Abrines is slotted to come over in a couple of years after Morrow's contract is up? Anyway, same story for these guys as with Lamb, Roberson, et al... worth more to us than you.

No one cares: Perkins, Telfair, Thabeet & $4.0M TPE
We're not paying to dump Perkins. We're probably cutting Thabeet anyway. Telfair... eh? And who thinks we're going into the tax this year? Not me.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
qianlong
Starter
And1: 258

Post#34 » by qianlong » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Chicago Bulls

Depth chart:
Rose/Hinrich
Butler/Snell
Dunleavy Jr/McDermott
Gasol/Taj/Mirotic
Noah/Gasol

The team has a very deep team which figures to have one of the best benches. The formula is consistent with previous years, slow defensive team winning the rebounding battle.

Team needs:

Wing or combo guard: Ball handler able to be a secondary playmaker/creator and hopefully can shoot from distance. Said player should be able to play with Rose and Butler in closeing lineups. The player can be a bench scorer or a full time starter, price obviously changes accordingly.

Backup point: We have Hinrich but both Rose and Hinrich have been very often injured so a third pg would be useful. One for the veteran minimum will probably be enough.

Assets:
Don't even ask: Rose, Noah.

We are keeping them: Gasol, Gibson, Mirotic, Butler, McDermott.
For different reasons we are keeping them. We have some redundancy at pf, if we move a player is probably them, but I don't see moving any unless is for an all star.

On the table: Dunleavy, Snell, Bairstow, Sacramento pick, our first picks, cleveland swap.
We like them and will probably keep them. Snell has shown to be improving and the talent to be a complete player, Dunleavy is a good veteran shooter on a value contract.

All in all we don't have much room to improve. I would say if a move is made it will be either a minor move cenetered on Dunleavy and some sweeteners, or a bigger one centered around MIrotic or Gibson for a bigger player.
Ball don't lie
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#35 » by x- » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Rockets:

Need/Want:

-3rd star. Preferably PG or PF.
-If 3rd star is unattainable, may 'settle' for two top-30-40 players instead... or, more likely, try to add (star) talent via free agency next year.

Have:
-Young players (Terrence Jones, Motiejunas, Canaan)
-Draft picks (Pelicans 2015 1st -- essentially guaranteed to be in the 4-19 range through protection, own future first two years from whenever the Lakers get the Rockets pick [likely 2017], multiple 2nd rounders)
-Non guaranteed contracts worth up to nearly $10M
-Trade exception worth $8.47M
-Young vets (Beverley, Ariza), though I'd prefer to keep them, if at all possible.
-Quality Euro-stashs (Sergio Llull, Kostas Papanikolaou, Alessandro Gentile)
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#36 » by Baller2014 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:13 am

djthesonicsfan wrote:Don't bother asking: KD, Trey, iBlockya & Mr Funaki

Might want to put their real names in brackets. I got KD, but had trouble with the rest.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#37 » by Dr Aki » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:11 am

2014/15 Lakers

Depth Chart:
PG - Jeremy Lin (exp), Steve Nash (exp), Jordan Clarkson (min)
SG - Kobe Bryant, Nick Young
SF - Wesley Johnson (min), Xavier Henry (min)
PF - Carlos Boozer (exp), Julius Randle (rookie deal), Ryan Kelly
C - Jordan Hill (TO for 2015/16), Robert Sacre (min), Ed Davis (min)

Needs:
- SF depth, which might be remedied with the addition of Beasley if Beasley wants the vet min.
- A true C, preferably >7'0, preferably known for rim protection and drive discouragement (think Asik)
- Future assets, preferably multiple

Untouchable:
Kobe Bryant (bums on seats, tv ratings, best player still)

Somewhere between untouchable and highly unlikely:
Julius Randle (bums on seats, tv ratings, great white hope)

Unlikely unless something very impressive is in return:
- Any 1st round draft picks we still have
- Jeremy Lin (bums on seats, tv ratings, expiring contract)
- 2015 capspace
- 2016 capspace

Available if a deal comes for a solid piece in return:
- Everyone else
- Any and all of our 2nd round draft picks

No meaningful trade value:
- Steve Nash (9.7 mil exp)

The current state and mindset of the Lakers front office:
The Lakers are in a peculiar transition stage between the end of Kobe's career and Kobe's retirement. We want to give Kobe every chance of winning, but at the same time, we aren't going to go full-Isaiah Thomas-r*tarded and mortgage the future.

Lakers are looking to compete this season and make the playoffs, given our pick is owed to Phoenix and is only top 5 protected. Between going for the POs and sucking because we suck, that pick will most likely be conveyed to Phoenix.

Making the playoffs/trying serves a double purpose, to showcase the Lakers are a serious destination for potential FAs in 2015 and 2016.

This leads onto the potential trades for the Lakers will or will not consider:
- THERE WILL NO TRADES THAT JEOPARDISES 2015 OR 2016 CAPSPACE for expensive, above average players, except for legit stars
- Value trades will be considered, ie, up-value trades of expiring contracts for other expiring contracts and picks (2nd rounders considered)
- Up-value trades of a couple of role players for other underpaid players (ie. rookies, probably rookies that never really panned out)
- Otherwise, the Lakers are always looking to add a legit star to put next to Kobe, preferably a big man, of which, preferably a center

Thus, the Lakers are essentially moneyballing it, and treading that thin line between competing and preserving capspace/assets for a superstar FA (or two, if everything goes to plan).

Yes, these are onerous conditions to set for any trade involving the Lakers, and yes, you may think they are unfair, delusional, (whatever adjective you deem apt), etc...

However, when you take into account the various trades our front office has made (inc. the nixxed CP3 trade) and hasn't made (not trading Pau for Okafor and savings without a pick in return) over the course of 10 years, you will see that Kupchak and co. are just as meticulous, just as patient and just as devoted to the Lakers succeeding and satisfying these above conditions.

TL;DR:
All in all, there isn't a great scope for dealing with the Lakers.

Unless of course, you are Memphis not living up to expectations and expect Marc Gasol to bolt, or New Orleans, for whatever reason think it's a good idea to trade Antonio Davis, or Minny looking to deal Pekovic for not very much (though truth be told, we're obviously more interested in KLove)

But any and most trades will in most likelihood centre around Nash's 9.7 mil expiring contract and Hill's 9.0 mil pseudo-expiring contract (TO for 2015/16), and most will preserve capspace for FA chases in 2015 and 2016
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#38 » by old rem » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:40 pm

GSW...

Someone may expand on this... but I see GSW now looking to consol;idate off who they have. Livingston and B Rush are the only newcomers..and Rush was an ex-Warrior. This is a change...at the basic level in that there were many years where over half the roster changed. At the start of last year...only Curry,Lee + Klay had 2 full years with GSW.

Curry is pretty near untouchable. GSW will be VERY reluctant to deal Klay (as was so even in a K Love deal) Dray Green may just be a backup.. but he's become important. NOT a "filler" and I doubt there's any offer for him GSW considers.

Lee, Bogut, Iggy....are for reasons of salary,age,injury....not real big trade chips.. matter more as keepers..they all start. GSW really needs Iggy (or Barnes) to step it up at SF but...it's an odd time in that SF is lately a role where there's a ton of backups around but not that many quality starters. By contrast... it seems there's a good supply of PF's now. Some GSW fans really got down on Speights..who DID suck early last year. After Jan...he actually played well (and is low $) Speights can score,can play C. GSW has some concern about the durability at C..Bogut + Ezeli seldom were both healthy. Speights and Lee can fill in. Kuzmic mostly was a D League 7 ft C who rebounded well..otherwise..is a project.

Nedovic...was a late rd 1...and I still don't know why. Is there something there? At this point GSW may be ready to just unload him. I see GSW looking at SF..where they used Iggy,Barnes, Green and nobody averaged 10 ppg.
I don't expect a trade but I do think GSW wants some offense there. This season...Barnes..especially..has to step up. He's got TALENT but he did not thrive as a bench guy (Dray Green did). Iggy is well known for D.. but if he just scores 6 pt...he has to do MAGICAL stuff on D to win the matchup. That said..aside from SF..he's also SG depth. Rush..when here before was a wing who made 3's and was a plus on D. He has to be healthy..howeever.

Lee and Iggy are 31 now and over $10 mill per. I don't expect a big offer Lee's rebounding and consistency are important. Iggy does fine as a pass + defend guy. GSW isn't gonna dump thhem for scraps. Likely also won't gett the bid they'd need.

So....As I'd expected...GSW is not much into trades -changes, used up most of the MLE already. Something minor might happen.
CENSORED... No comment.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#39 » by goober » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:12 am

I'd say Utah's biggest need is a true stretch forward to complement Favors when he plays center. Sure we have Novak but his only skill set is shooting 3's. A player like Ryan Anderson would be a good fit

Exum, Burks, Rodney Hood,and Favors are who I would say are the main players that will be tough for Utah to move when offers come around. Exum is our new prospect, Favors is our very committed defensive big man, and Burks has impressed a lot of Jazz fans, including me. Leading us to believe he can step it up this season with 30+ minutes that he didn't get last year. Hood is a rookie who's looked like a solid rotation wing so far.

Hayward will just be hard to trade because of that Trade Kicker (Damn you Hornets :D )

I would think Burke and Kanter could be had for the right price. Exum and Burke looked congested and just plain out awful in SL and Exum showed that he was a point guard, not a combo guard. Kanter and Favors just aren't good together. Kanter can't really stretch the floor and clogs up the inside with Favors. Depending on what direction the Jazz want to go, they could probably package them for a proven player, or more future picks: and other prospects.

Gobert is the wild card. He has looked absolutely solid and has done awesome for France in the FIBA WC. Jazz fans are impressed with how much it seems he has improved. Him next to Favors isn't that great of a fit but he could be a decent backup C. I honestly have no idea what the jazz could get for Gobert.

Rest of the guys could be had for whoever wants them IMO
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,551

Post#40 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Will look at this and see what needs updating, but...

Philly has (almost) no trade block players. I think Moultrie might be on it still? And Jrich, who either is a savvy vet and 3 point shooter, or a useless husk that won't play and is covered by insurance.

Also, there is that pesky 25m or so of space.

Return to Trades and Transactions