Rajon Rondo to the Indiana Pacers for Roy Hibbert and assets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Rajon Rondo to the Indiana Pacers for Roy Hibbert and assets 

Post#1 » by RightToCensor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:49 pm

BOS sends: Rajon Rondo, Vitor Faverani, Kelly Olynyk
BOS receives: Roy Hibbert, Chris Copeland, IND's 2015 1st, PHIs 2015 2nd, IND's 2016 1st, IND's 2017' 1st

IND sends: Roy Hibbert, Chris Copeland, IND's 2015 1st, PHIs 2015 2nd, IND's 2016 1st, IND's 2017' 1st
IND receives: Rajon Rondo, Vitor Faverani, Kelly Olynyk

Smart
Bradley-Young-Thornton
Turner-Wallace-Copeland
Green-Bass-Sullinger
Hibbert-Anthony

Rondo-Hill-Watson
Stuckey
George-Miles
West-Scola-Allen
Mahinmi-Olynyk-Faverani

Celtics get a defensive center to potentially build around along with their defense-first backcourt. Boston would also obtain a much needed floor spacer in Chris Copeland and a plethora of future draft picks.

The Pacers would get their much needed floor general in Rajon Rondo (who would probably resign with Indiana). Having Rondo can move George Hill or Rodney Stuckey to the bench where that would immediately strengthen their bench depth. They also get a young Luis Scola-esq player in Kelly Olynyk and a young rim protector in Faverani.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Rajon Rondo to the Indiana Pacers for Roy Hibbert and as 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Can't trade all those firsts due to the Stepien rule and wouldn't do Hibbert and 3 firsts for Rondo anyways.

Also no idea why the Celtics would be adding in Olynyk here.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:54 pm

The value is there as the pacers are giving up 3 firsts in order to dump hibbert and get rondo... but for the celtics this makes no sense to me.

They dont need more first round picks, especially ones that would not project to be in the lotto/high lotto. and they are taking on a pretty bad contract on a player coming off a pretty awful half season of basketball.

Is hibbert really part of the future in boston? i'd say no. thus moving rondo for him doesnt make alot of sense to me
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#4 » by becorz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:18 pm

I know that everyone likes to hate on Hibbert, but is he really worth less than Rondo? Both have one more guaranteed year (Hibbert has a PO in 2015/16). I would say that a rim protecting center is less common than a pass first point guard. Hibbert is still really good and it is not like Rondo has never disappeared during a big game.

And the whole never trade big for small thing.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#5 » by winter_mute_13 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:22 pm

IMO Hibbert has value in his own right, so I'm really not interested in packaging 3 picks with him, even if it were legal.

If Hibbert currently doesn't have value, then we'll just keep him until he does. We still need someone to play center after all, something which the proposed deal does not address (please don't say Olynyk would be our center).
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#6 » by mcfly1204 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:27 pm

Though this deal cannot happen until September, why not keep it simple and move Hibbert for Rondo/Zeller.

Rondo/Watson
Hill/Stuckey
George/Miles
West/Scola/Copeland
Zeller/Mahinmi
Well at least we're not Detroit!
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#7 » by cl2117 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:41 pm

becorz wrote:I know that everyone likes to hate on Hibbert, but is he really worth less than Rondo? Both have one more guaranteed year (Hibbert has a PO in 2015/16). I would say that a rim protecting center is less common than a pass first point guard. Hibbert is still really good and it is not like Rondo has never disappeared during a big game.

I'd argue that Rondo is worth more than Hibbert because he doesn't disappear during big games. People have complained that Rondo only steps his game up that extra level in nationally televised games and the playoffs. His playoff performances have been tremendous and his numbers back that up.

I wouldn't put the difference between the two at 3 first round picks, but I think if a team is trading for one of these two guys it's to put together a contender. Hibbert's scarily bad playoff performance last year would be a huge red flag for me, especially when comparing that to what Rondo has done when he has been in the playoffs (I don't think he came up with zero rebounds at any point despite not being 7 feet tall).

I think the don't trade big for small aspect should play into it and also the fact that it is harder to find a rim protector than a facilitator PG, but I'd be more hesitant to put up assets for a guy who disappeared in the big games versus a guy who is probably less of a commodity around the league, but who has a great playoff track record.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#8 » by goober » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:44 pm

No way either teams do this.

Giving up Olynyk is bleh

Having a huge hole at the C is bleh

Doesn't make much sense
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#9 » by Smitty731 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:54 pm

The Celtics don't have a big need for Hibbert if Rondo isn't going to around. Unless you think Smart is ready to carry the team on a deep playoff run, I'd rather play it out with Rondo.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#10 » by KGboss » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Hibberts stock is at an all time low. Sorry Pacers fans but you dont go 0-0-0 in the playoffs and then act like nothing happened.

Considering they cant do this it would be something like Hibbert, 2 indy first in 2015 and 2017, and Phillys second round pick.

I would consider it, but i'm still cautious even if that is a big haul of draft picks for Rondo.

Hibbert is still a great player, but the perception of him also isnt that great around the league. indy would not be smart to trade him right now.
Doddage
Veteran
And1: 1,852

Post#11 » by Doddage » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Pacers don't own a 2015 PHI 2nd. May be mistaking that for the 2015 GSW 2nd that Indy traded to Philly in the Granger-Turner trade.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#12 » by Boneman2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 pm

KGboss wrote:Hibberts stock is at an all time low. Sorry Pacers fans but you dont go 0-0-0 in the playoffs and then act like nothing happened.

Considering they cant do this it would be something like Hibbert, 2 indy first in 2015 and 2017, and Phillys second round pick.

I would consider it, but i'm still cautious even if that is a big haul of draft picks for Rondo.

Hibbert is still a great player, but the perception of him also isnt that great around the league. indy would not be smart to trade him right now.

The exact same thing can be said for Rondo except he is not physically capable of playing. Hibbert doesn't have health issues. No way Indy trades the best interior defender on the leagues best defense for an injury-prone player seeking $100 million.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#13 » by KGboss » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Boneman2 wrote:
KGboss wrote:Hibberts stock is at an all time low. Sorry Pacers fans but you dont go 0-0-0 in the playoffs and then act like nothing happened.

The exact same thing can be said for Rondo except he is not physically capable of playing. Hibbert doesn't have health issues. No way Indy trades the best interior defender on the leagues best defense for an injury-prone player seeking $100 million.

One ACL tear doesnt make a player 'injury prone'. it was a partial tear and the advances in modern medicine basically make that a non-issue.

Questionable on court appearances/attitudes are cause for concern however. Give me Rondos a-hole attitude over Hibberts sulk in the corner attitude anyday. Bynum was the second best center in the league until he turned into a diva.

There are concerns from both sides. I'll just leave it at that.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#14 » by Boneman2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:08 pm

KGboss wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:

One ACL tear doesnt make a player 'injury prone'. it was a partial tear and the advances in modern medicine basically make that a non-issue.

Questionable on court appearances/attitudes are cause for concern however. Give me Rondos a-hole attitude over Hibberts sulk in the corner attitude anyday. Bynum was the second best center in the league until he turned into a diva.

There are concerns from both sides. I'll just leave it at that.

Even if the concerns are equal Indy shouldnt have to add additional filler that alone is enough for Rondo. 3 1sts... My god. FYI Indy builds extensively and almost exclusively through the draft.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#15 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

becorz wrote:I know that everyone likes to hate on Hibbert, but is he really worth less than Rondo? Both have one more guaranteed year (Hibbert has a PO in 2015/16). I would say that a rim protecting center is less common than a pass first point guard. Hibbert is still really good and it is not like Rondo has never disappeared during a big game.

for me, rondo is a much better player with a much bigger on court impact. I think hibbert's defense is overrated a bit. he uses his size well, but he really struggles in the pick and roll and i think alot of value attributed to him is more suited to lance/geroge/west who are all outstanding team defenders. I think if you move hibbert to another team, especially a poor one, he looks closer to an average defender then a great one. offensively, he doesnt give you much. on the glass, he doesnt give you much....

Hibbert's value is really on a team that just boots on offense and tries to where down smaller teams defensively. like the pacers. i dont think he fits everywhere

im much mroe comfortable with rondo translating elsewhere
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:Though this deal cannot happen until September, why not keep it simple and move Hibbert for Rondo/Zeller.

Rondo/Watson
Hill/Stuckey
George/Miles
West/Scola/Copeland
Zeller/Mahinmi

cause thats a horrible trade for boston.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 pm

You also don't miss a TON of games over 3 straight seasons and act like nothing happened.

KGboss wrote:

I'd think that the perception of Hibbert around the league with GM's who actually make the decisions is probably pretty fine. Close to normal. Probably a few would rather wait and see, but others are cocky enough to think that they can always "save the talent", or that the talent is just "being misused in another system". The whole, "I'm great as a GM, and they're awful" theory.

Either way, I'm with Smitty. I don't see the point for Boston acquiring Hibbert if they're sending out Rondo. Don't you try and put your win now pieces together? Also, I'm not sure that Indy has interest in adding Rondo while moving Hibbert (though, in all likelihood, we couldn't add Rondo any other way as we have nothing else of big enough value). We considered moving Hibbert, likely to save money to re-sign Lance. He's gone. We can't be in the market for anyone else. Why move him now? Why not see if he is better being depended on more?
j_angel
Analyst
And1: 366

Post#18 » by j_angel » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Olynyk is not just a throw in. This kills the deal alone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Also....Where is this Philly 2015 2nd rounder coming from? Why do people think we own it?

We traded the 2015 GSW 2nd rounder TO Philly. We didn't get one FROM them.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#20 » by jowglenn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 pm

As a Pacers fan who thinks Rondo is a top 5 point guard in the NBA, YES PLEASE YES.

I'd do Hibbert for Rondo any day. We can find some center to fill in, people. A Rondo/George combo is an elite combo. Rondo? RONDO?? God yes.

There is some sense in it for Boston, despite what people say.

If Marcus Smart is really the future, and you decide to trade Rondo, then what do you want back? Obviously, the "massive picks and huge upside youth" is the goal, but how many such packages are out there in the league for an expiring guy who is clearly expecting a MAX deal one year from now?

Boston HAS picks. TONS of them actually. What they don't have is a center of any note.

Doing a Rondo/Hibbert swap does make sense for both teams in some ways.

For Boston, it balances your roster properly post-Rondo, where you have a talented young team surrounding a defensive anchor.

Smart/Bradley/Green/Sullinger/Hibbert with Young and Olynyk off the bench, and pick after pick after pick; if Smart is truly the real deal, why not get a defensive anchor center in his prime at a cheap price? The guy was DPOY first half of the season.

If you think you're not going to keep Rondo for 5 years, 100 million (or whatever he plans on getting) then why belabor the poing? Get a potentially foundational guy for the next 5 years at your position of greatest need at his lowest value. Brad Stephens can work wonders, he'll put Hibbert up right. Celtics have so many picks that it's better to take a 2-year deal w/ hibbert and hope he becomes your stalwart, than put the 5 year deal on Rondo and suppress Smart and your other future picks.

Pacers go with a whole new look and hope that Rondo can become legendary in Indy. A Rondo/Hill/George/West/Mahinmi cover, and trade some other pieces for a marginal center (Scola/Cope for Javale? rehab?) and you might have new blood.

Rondo is a transcendental player. Rondo plus George could become a new paradigm in basketball. Expensive, yes, but you let West and mahinmi expire in a year and then you have just george, hill, rondo, hill, miles, rudez and whatever other guys you can bring along.

That leaves cap room for a big time addition right in the prime of George's career. With a point guard like Rondo, George can play off the ball more, catching and shooting, slamming alley oops from Rondo.

Keep Olynyk, man, sorry this guy even tried to include him.

I'll even go completely damn nuts if it helps get the deal done.

I mean really out there

Hibbert, Copeland, Scola

for

Rondo, Wallace, Zeller

Celtics dump Wallace's contract for two expirings, and get Hibbert to anchor the defense of this young team. Celtics surprise everyone and make the playoffs after trading Rondo.

Pacers get Rondo and the hometown guy Zeller. They spend a ton of money in 2015-2016 but then it all expires and they embark on the rondo/george express.

Great game, well played.

Return to Trades and Transactions