PHI/BOS/SAC Power Forward Switch

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Spasulow
Freshman
And1: 2

PHI/BOS/SAC Power Forward Switch 

Post#1 » by Spasulow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Phi in: G. Wallace (2y/10.1m) + R. Evans (1y/1,8m) + LAC 2015 1st Rd Pick + WAS 2015 2nd Rd Pick + NYK 2016 2nd Rd Pick + POR 2018 2nd Rd Pick
Phi out: T. Young (2y/9.4m; ETO in 2nd year)

Bos in: D. Williams (1y/6.3m)
Bos out: G. Wallace (2y/10.1m) + LAC 2015 1st Rd Pick + WAS 2015 2nd Rd Pick

Sac in: T. Young (2y/9.4m; ETO in 2nd year)
Sac out: D. Williams (1y/6.3m) + R. Evans (1y/1,8m) + NYK 2016 2nd Rd Pick + POR 2018 2nd Rd Pick

Why for Philly:
They give away T. Young who would most likely not be back in Philly next year. As they are in tank mode this year, his loss would fit the plan. They get a 1st Rd pick for next year which they do not posess so far plus three second rounders (collecting ASSETS). They take on G. Wallace's contract next year. However, this might be not a huge drawback as the highest contract on their books next year will be Nerlens Noel with 3.4m (after Jason Richardson expires) so they will have more cap room than necessary anyways.

Why for Bos:
They get rid of G. Wallace's contract which leaves Bos with plenty cap room next year. D. Williams is serviceable and will be able to replace his role this year so there will be no quality loss at all as he can back up both the 3 and 4 position.
The cost of this transaction will be giving a late first rounder (from LA Clippers) and a 2nd rounder. Bos has plenty of young talent next year and now also the cap room to add more pieces.

Why for Sac:
Sac gets the best player in the deal and improves their roster significantly concerning their playoff contention. The loss of both Williams and Evans is not dramatic with Young coming in. Sac gives up two 2nd rounders.

Collison/McCallum
McLemore/Stauskas/Terry
Gay/Acy/Outlaw
T. Young/Landry/Thompson
Cousins/Thompson

This looks like a super athletic and fast team that can do some damage.

Thoughts?
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Re: PHI/BOS/SAC Power Forward Switch 

Post#2 » by Higgs Boston » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:41 pm

All say yes in 2015, but now is impossible and terrible for sixers.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#3 » by Mr Sixer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:04 pm

I don't really get the post above me. But I feel like its a yes by the Sixers, no by the Celtics, and Kings fans have stated they don't want Thad (although I'm not sure if their GM shares this sentiment) but not a bad proposal overall.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#4 » by Drax » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Mr Sixer wrote:I don't really get the post above me. But I feel like its a yes by the Sixers, no by the Celtics, and Kings fans have stated they don't want Thad (although I'm not sure if their GM shares this sentiment) but not a bad proposal overall.

Actually Boston would say yes because we can get some more space under the luxury tax. A late first and a second round pick are an ok price if we can dump Wallace.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#5 » by Foshan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:23 pm

I would think Philly says no. I think they want to go FA shopping next year, if that doesn't work they would probably be willing to eat the end of Wallace's deal. But i can't see them tying up that space now.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#6 » by Golabki » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Spasulow wrote:Phi in: G. Wallace (2y/10.1m) + R. Evans (1y/1,8m) + LAC 2015 1st Rd Pick + WAS 2015 2nd Rd Pick + NYK 2016 2nd Rd Pick + POR 2018 2nd Rd Pick

Sac out: D. Williams (1y/6.3m) + R. Evans (1y/1,8m) + NYK 2016 2nd Rd Pick + POR 2018 2nd Rd Pick

Why for Philly:
They give away T. Young who would most likely not be back in Philly next year. As they are in tank mode this year, his loss would fit the plan. They get a 1st Rd pick for next year which they do not posess so far plus three second rounders (collecting ASSETS). They take on G. Wallace's contract next year. However, this might be not a huge drawback as the highest contract on their books next year will be Nerlens Noel with 3.4m (after Jason Richardson expires) so they will have more cap room than necessary anyways.

Why for Bos:
They get rid of G. Wallace's contract which leaves Bos with plenty cap room next year. D. Williams is serviceable and will be able to replace his role this year so there will be no quality loss at all as he can back up both the 3 and 4 position.
The cost of this transaction will be giving a late first rounder (from LA Clippers) and a 2nd rounder. Bos has plenty of young talent next year and now also the cap room to add more pieces.

Why for Sac:
Sac gets the best player in the deal and improves their roster significantly concerning their playoff contention. The loss of both Williams and Evans is not dramatic with Young coming in. Sac gives up two 2nd rounders.

Collison/McCallum
McLemore/Stauskas/Terry
Gay/Acy/Outlaw
T. Young/Landry/Thompson
Cousins/Thompson

Thoughts?

1. I don't think Boston does this
2. I don't see why Boston is in a Young to Sac deal (If Phily wants to eat the Wallace for a 1st, they can do it separately)
3. Young to Sac makes sense as an alternative to Smith (Det)
4. It would take at least a first (or one of McLemore/Stuskus) to get Young
Golabki
General Manager

Post#7 » by Golabki » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Williams + a protected first for Young makes more sense
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#8 » by GutUNC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Spasulow wrote:Phi in: G. Wallace (2y/10.1m) + R. Evans (1y/1,8m) + LAC 2015 1st Rd Pick + WAS 2015 2nd Rd Pick + NYK 2016 2nd Rd Pick + POR 2018 2nd Rd Pick

Why for Philly:

Why for Bos:

Why for Sac:

Collison/McCallum
McLemore/Stauskas/Terry
Gay/Acy/Outlaw
T. Young/Landry/Thompson
Cousins/Thompson

Thoughts?

As long as the Sixers don't make the playoffs - and they won't - they have their 1st rounder next year.
GDTBATH
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#9 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:21 pm

No.

Evans at 1.8 per is five times the rebounder/defensive PF that Thad is and at one fifth the salary. And between him and Williams they are nearly nine million in expiring salary.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#10 » by rpa » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:32 pm

Golabki wrote:3. Young to Sac makes sense as an alternative to Smith (Det)

How's that exactly? The only 2 similarities between them are that you don't want them shooting outside shots and that they can both (sort of) play both forward positions. The entire reason the Kings are interested in Smith is because he can provide some weakside shotblocking--something that Young doesn't do at all.

Not only that, but as intimated in Lowe's article on Grantland, one of the reasons the Kings seem interested in Smith is because his contract makes him a good target to acquire without giving up any legitimate assets. The minute you start asking for assets (your 4th point) for a worse player that's a worse fit is the minute the Kings chuckle and hang up the phone.
Moses_Doc_83
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#11 » by Moses_Doc_83 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Sixers instantly say no to this. Young for Wallace requires two firsts, and 2nd rounders no longer hold any appeal because the back of the bench has already been built. Also Reggie Evans. Reggie Evans? Sixers had him like 10 years ago, no need for the reunion tour. Would be good for the other two teams, though.
Spasulow
Freshman

Post#12 » by Spasulow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Moses_Doc_83 wrote:Sixers instantly say no to this. Young for Wallace requires two firsts, and 2nd rounders no longer hold any appeal because the back of the bench has already been built. Also Reggie Evans. Reggie Evans? Sixers had him like 10 years ago, no need for the reunion tour. Would be good for the other two teams, though.

Maybe. However, you gotta look at how hard it is to get first rounders for expirings with the new CBA. Just look at Turner and Hawes last year. Obviously not as targeted as Thad, but no 1sts involved at all.

Anyways, when proposing the trade I had the feeling that it might be slightly too good for SAC.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#13 » by becorz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 pm

I honestly think that all three teams turn this down.

For Philly, I think they can simply do better than this for Thad + taking on Wallace.

For Boston, I think they are all about collecting assets. By the time they can cash in on those assets, Wallace is going to have one year left on his contract. Then his contract is useful for trades. So, I don't see them giving up 2 picks to get rid of Wallace and get back a mildly intriguing prospect.

For the Kings, I am told by many people that they wouldn't want to have Landry, Thompson, and Young all on the same team, playing the same position, making larger salaries. I don't particularly subscribe to that theory, but it is a valid point. The FO also seems to like second round picks, so I don't really see them trading any future ones away.
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#14 » by 42uptop » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:20 pm

I would rather keep Thad than trade him away for some second round picks and 2 bad contracts. This doesn't make sense for Philly
I speak the truth.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#15 » by Golabki » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 pm

rpa wrote:
Golabki wrote:3. Young to Sac makes sense as an alternative to Smith (Det)

How's that exactly? The only 2 similarities between them are that you don't want them shooting outside shots and that they can both (sort of) play both forward positions. The entire reason the Kings are interested in Smith is because he can provide some weakside shotblocking--something that Young doesn't do at all.

Not only that, but as intimated in Lowe's article on Grantland, one of the reasons the Kings seem interested in Smith is because his contract makes him a good target to acquire without giving up any legitimate assets. The minute you start asking for assets (your 4th point) for a worse player that's a worse fit is the minute the Kings chuckle and hang up the phone.

Young is a legit starting 4... I agree Smith brings other things, but I think the Kings also want to make the playoffs... or at least be close to making the playoffs and Young helps them there.
Spasulow
Freshman

Post#16 » by Spasulow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:26 pm

42uptop wrote:I would rather keep Thad than trade him away for some second round picks and 2 bad contracts. This doesn't make sense for Philly

I assume that Thad will opt out next year and it is quite a possibility that he'll be gone by then as Embiid and Noel will be the frontcourt of the future. This year he does nothing for a tanking team such as Philly, so by the trade dealine it is probable that he will be gone. 1 late first rounder (23-27) and three second rounders plus taking on a bad contract (for just one more year) might not be the most appealing option, but given how valued first rounders are, I doubt they could get two for an expiring Thad.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,542

Post#17 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Spasulow wrote:
42uptop wrote:I would rather keep Thad than trade him away for some second round picks and 2 bad contracts. This doesn't make sense for Philly

I assume that Thad will opt out next year and it is quite a possibility that he'll be gone by then as Embiid and Noel will be the frontcourt of the future. This year he does nothing for a tanking team such as Philly, so by the trade dealine it is probable that he will be gone. 1 late first rounder (23-27) and three second rounders plus taking on a bad contract (for just one more year) might not be the most appealing option, but given how valued first rounders are, I doubt they could get two for an expiring Thad.

It is more 1 late 25-30 first imo. As is, teams got that for taking smaller expiring contracts than Wallace this offseason. So, I could think of it as Wallace and first for cap space. Thad for a handful of mid-late 2nds.

I could say next offseason lets do the Wallace part, or this trade deadline lets do the Thad part, however either are all that great value so why not wait and see if there is more?

(Also, keep posting trades and welcome here!)
Spasulow
Freshman

Post#18 » by Spasulow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:(Also, keep posting trades and welcome here!)

Cheers!!!

It's actually quite fun to throw something out there which sounds reasonable for oneself and see what others think about the proposed scenario.
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#19 » by 42uptop » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 pm

Spasulow wrote:

I agree that the return for Thad won't be great. That's why I said I would rather keep him. He is a hard-working guy who has been with the team for several years. At the very least he will mentor the young players. There's no reason to trade him away for such a small return
I speak the truth.

Return to Trades and Transactions