Official: Al- Farouq Aminu to Dallas

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Re: Official: Al- Farouq Aminu to Dallas 

Post#21 » by Laimbeer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:Surely the second year is a player option? Why on earth would a young guy lock himself up for two years at basiclaly the vet's min?

Wondered the same thing myself. Looks like the kid can rebound like #$@% for his size.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,565

Post#22 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 pm

bondom34 wrote:Good deal again, awesome offseason for Dallas!

Yeah. Last year in contrast we were all asking why they were signing Monta and Calderon as a pair.

Aminu was on my short list of 3 players I thought Philly could target. Kinda upset. We could have guaranteed the worst shooting team since the 2014 Sixers and passed on it.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,830

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:Surely the second year is a player option? Why on earth would a young guy lock himself up for two years at basiclaly the vet's min?

Wondered the same thing myself. Looks like the kid can rebound like #$@% for his size.

It is a PO for year 2. And yeah he can really rebound which is a real need.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#24 » by bondom34 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:13 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Good deal again, awesome offseason for Dallas!

Yeah. Last year in contrast we were all asking why they were signing Monta and Calderon as a pair.

Aminu was on my short list of 3 players I thought Philly could target. Kinda upset. We could have guaranteed the worst shooting team since the 2014 Sixers and passed on it.

Thing is, with the way Monta bounced back, I wouldn't be shocked if even Felton had a decent year. Plus with Nelson there, the PG rotation could be solid depending on those 2.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#25 » by LofJ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Dallas is going for Karl era Nuggets level depth, I like it.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#26 » by franktony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Quietly, Dallas had a very nice offseason ! Props to Donnie and Cuban.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Post#27 » by Big Jaffa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Good pick up, guy can provide some of that Shawn Marion defense for a 1/5th of the price and his lack of range isn't a huge deal next to Dirk.
Rip City
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#28 » by lordjeff05 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:10 pm

This is a quality signing for Dallas, but just prepare to be frustrated if he plays major minutes. I believe Aminu is probably a smart guy, but he is "basketball dumb" in a way that is incredibly frustrating. He is lacking as a team defender, and though his athleticism helps on defense he isn't a good fundamental defender either. As example, he fouled Jeff Green in the final seconds of a game against Boston causing the game to go in to overtime. He over commits on help defense. Another frustrating tendency, the Pelicans probably had the most turnovers on fast breaks in league history due largely to his inability to make the right play. Too many times to mention Aminu would have numbers on the break and either turn the ball over or we would miss the shot.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#29 » by verbal8 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:44 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:Very underrated acquisition. I like his chances as a solid backup behind Parsons and Dirk.

It might be a good idea to rotate the 3 of them in the 2 forward spots. Dirk is obviously a 4. Parsons/Aminu can really play either spot. The only forward it might be hard to pair with Aminu would be Crowder.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#30 » by LApwnd » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:52 pm

giberish wrote:Best Shawn Marion replacement they could afford.

why didn't they just bring back Marion?
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#31 » by Knosh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 pm

LApwnd wrote:

Cause they couldn't afford him?
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#32 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Darren wrote:Now they can trade Felton for Mahinmi and (waive Mekel and) sign Elton Brand and call it an offseason.

C - Tyson Chandler / Elton Brand / Ian Mahinmi
PF - Dirk Nowitzki / Brandan Wright / Greg Smith
SF - Chander Parsons / Al- Farouq Aminu / Eric Griffin
SG - Monta Ellis / Richard Jefferson / Jae Crowder
PG - Jameer Nelson / Devin Harris / Ricky Ledo

Wright is better defending 4. Aminu is better defending 3. Jefferson is better defending 2. Devin Harris is better defending 1. Elton Brand or Jermaine O'Neal can provide the rebounds and defense at 5. The Mavs is all of a sudden relevant as a black horse. They're now a great defender/rebounder at C/PF away. Elton Brand makes most sense as we play small ball extensively as a running team. And he's been a Mavs before. Assume our management is having a good relationship with Brand, I like our chance to get him at min.

Good luck on the Felton deal you mentioned. Regardless JO and/or Kwame Brown would work nicely. I don't see Brand signing anywhere for less than the MMLE. He has a track record of picking the extra few million
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#33 » by LApwnd » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Knosh wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

but latest rumor makes it sound as though he has to settle for the lower end exception.
Dunham32
Junior
And1: 173

Post#34 » by Dunham32 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:18 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Knosh wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

but latest rumor makes it sound as though he has to settle for the lower end exception.

And the Mavs just gave that to Nelson
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#35 » by pacers33granger » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Darren wrote:Now they can trade Felton for Mahinmi

No they can't. We have less than 0 use for Felton with Hill, Watson, Sloan, and Stuckey on the roster. We also have no real backup center other than Ian and for all his faults, we are happy with him.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,830

Post#36 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:37 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:This is a quality signing for Dallas, but just prepare to be frustrated if he plays major minutes. I believe Aminu is probably a smart guy, but he is "basketball dumb" in a way that is incredibly frustrating. He is lacking as a team defender, and though his athleticism helps on defense he isn't a good fundamental defender either. As example, he fouled Jeff Green in the final seconds of a game against Boston causing the game to go in to overtime. He over commits on help defense. Another frustrating tendency, the Pelicans probably had the most turnovers on fast breaks in league history due largely to his inability to make the right play. Too many times to mention Aminu would have numbers on the break and either turn the ball over or we would miss the shot.

Obviously he's a flawed player or we don't get him for the minimum. But in Dallas he will be a bench guy not asked to play 25 mpg and Rick is really good about putting the role players in position to best succeed.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#37 » by avon barksdale » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:53 pm

I really hope there's a trade pending because this roster is really mismatch, too many pgs and forwards one sg and one center
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#38 » by Knosh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:04 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Knosh wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

I didn't catch any of those rumors. Expected him to get more than $2.7 mil. Not sure who has that kind of money left right now. Maybe that's a fair question to ask, but I'm inclined to wait until he actually signs for that kind of money somewhere.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#39 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:41 pm

I know Dallas is bringing in Nelson, but what are they doing behind Ellis at SG? Right now it seems like the only options on the roster are Jefferson, Ledo and Crowder. And Jefferson and Crowder are both more SFs at this point. I would have spent that Room Exception on a SG, instead of another PG. I think they were fine with Harris and Felton. At this point, the backup SG options for vet minimum deals aren't very attractive.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#40 » by avon barksdale » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I know Dallas is bringing in Nelson, but what are they doing behind Ellis at SG? Right now it seems like the only options on the roster are Jefferson, Ledo and Crowder. And Jefferson and Crowder are both more SFs at this point. I would have spent that Room Exception on a SG, instead of another PG. I think they were fine with Harris and Felton. At this point, the backup SG options for vet minimum deals aren't very attractive.

I agree with u but the issue is what sg was available for that price? I personally would have loved to bring in bazemore or rush but we didn't and as for our pg situation we needed Nelson devin in injury prone and felton is fat. Don't know why we didn't get Jr from the knicks instead of felton. I still think parsons can play 12-15mpg at two 20m st three and split the other sf minutes up between Jefferson and aminu

Return to Trades and Transactions