Kobe to the Knicks

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Re: Kobe to the Knicks 

Post#41 » by turk3d » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:36 am

jayjaysee wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
skflives wrote:
If we knew Kobe was still capable of playing at the level he has played throughout his career this deal would be the kind of deal only a Knick homer would propose. But we don't know what level Kobe is capable of playing at and for how long. Does he need a minutes limit as well? If so then the Knicks are trading a guy who needs his minutes managed but plays a position of need and has an expiring deal for another guy who needs his minutes managed, plays the position we're deepest at and has a longer deal. Its a huge risk and an expensive one at that. No thank you.

Not arguing that. I'm saying, indisputably correctly I might add, that the potential benefits for the Knicks are tangible and huge, whereas for the Lakers they are non-existent.

The only way the Lakers consider this is if they start 0-10 or 2-15 type terrible and Kobe asks for it after playing all 10 games. If they are in a position to tank hard and keep the pick (finishing with either of the two worst records in the league would guarantee them that right?) then I think they'd consider doing Kobe the favor if NYK added some small value. Having a clear salary sheet 2015 with Randle and a top 5 pick would be worth it.

But yeah. That's not happening. If Kobe is actually playing well and the Lakers are still the worst team in the league - someone will offer something better than Amare+Shump. And it won't be hard to top that. And Kobe would probably ask to go to a contender if he did ask to be traded.. While Kobe/Melo could actually beat any team in the league - they probably don't make it to the EC finals. But his contract makes that pretty hard to accomplish actually.

I hear what you're saying but I don't think there are too many teams out there contending who will have the cap space needed in order to take Kobe on (nor would be willing to commit that much in salary to him for the next 2 years assuming he approved a trade). The reason this deal works with the Knicks is that they have a gargantuan matching salary necessary (in Amare) to make this a done deal. But like I said earlier, you have to be careful not to wind up with a record which nets you a pick over #5. It's a tough call imo but I can see why it won't happen.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Post#42 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:09 am

Kobe Bryant puts asses in seats and sells millions of dollars of merchandise so for that reason the Lakers would pass. There is no way the help The Suns get a quality pick next year and move a top 5 player of all time for a Amare people are nuts if they think The Knicks decline this

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#43 » by skflives » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:39 am

jayjaysee wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
skflives wrote:
If we knew Kobe was still capable of playing at the level he has played throughout his career this deal would be the kind of deal only a Knick homer would propose. But we don't know what level Kobe is capable of playing at and for how long. Does he need a minutes limit as well? If so then the Knicks are trading a guy who needs his minutes managed but plays a position of need and has an expiring deal for another guy who needs his minutes managed, plays the position we're deepest at and has a longer deal. Its a huge risk and an expensive one at that. No thank you.

Not arguing that. I'm saying, indisputably correctly I might add, that the potential benefits for the Knicks are tangible and huge, whereas for the Lakers they are non-existent.

The only way the Lakers consider this is if they start 0-10 or 2-15 type terrible and Kobe asks for it after playing all 10 games. If they are in a position to tank hard and keep the pick (finishing with either of the two worst records in the league would guarantee them that right?) then I think they'd consider doing Kobe the favor if NYK added some small value. Having a clear salary sheet 2015 with Randle and a top 5 pick would be worth it.

But yeah. That's not happening. If Kobe is actually playing well and the Lakers are still the worst team in the league - someone will offer something better than Amare+Shump. And it won't be hard to top that. And Kobe would probably ask to go to a contender if he did ask to be traded.. While Kobe/Melo could actually beat any team in the league - they probably don't make it to the EC finals. But his contract makes that pretty hard to accomplish actually.

Either way, no one ever likes this idea but it still gets suggested every week or so...eh

If Kobe is still Kobe this is a completely different discussion. But if
skflives
Banned User

Post#44 » by skflives » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:41 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Kobe Bryant puts asses in seats and sells millions of dollars of merchandise so for that reason the Lakers would pass. There is no way the help The Suns get a quality pick next year and move a top 5 player of all time for a Amare people are nuts if they think The Knicks decline this

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app

If Kobe can use his crutches to block shots then I might think about it. Otherwise he is not worth the risk or an expiring contract.
skflives
Banned User

Post#45 » by skflives » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:46 am

BBallFreak wrote:
skflives wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:I'm no Laker fan. I'm an original Heat fan.

This is a far worse deal for the Lakers than it is for the Knicks, no matter what Kobe makes..

The benefits for the Lakers are non-existent....as in 20 million plus off their cap next year that was once owned by an old player coming off a major injury. That's the kind of non-existent everyone loves.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#46 » by jimmy keys » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:05 am

BBallFreak wrote:I'm sorry but even at this point in his career he's worth more than the entire Knicks franchise, outside of Anthony. This is a putrid deal for the Lakers. Absolutely insulting. Their isn't even an attempt at adding valuable assets. No Hardaway, no Shump... Not even a conditional second rounder! Just the waste of space that is STAT.

Awful.

I said asset could be added.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by jimmy keys » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:11 am

turk3d wrote:I just think that I realized the REAL reason that the Lakers wouldn't do it (besides the sentimental value they have with Kobe). Doesn't someone own the Lakers pick next year? If that's the case, this wouldn't serve them well since it would probably be more of a tank move, even if they were to get some young talent to go with Amare. They'll want to win as many games as they can next year, even if they don't make it into the playoffs so I can see that reasoning. too bad for the Knicks.

Yeah in the original post I explained that their pick is top 5 protected in 2015. It literally would have taken you 10 seconds of reading to process this information.

In any case that's why they should look to dump Kobe. Don't want to end up giving away the 7th pick.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,229

Post#48 » by BBallFreak » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:04 pm

jimmy keys,

I don't think you understand what you're doing to the Lakers by making this trade. You're turning them into what the Clippers used to be. Garbage. Nothing. No more reason to go see them play. No more buying of the jersey's. No more...anything. Done. Finito. NBA irrelevance.

Kobe is what makes them relevant, even if he's injured. He still sells.

I'm sorry but their is no way this trade makes any sense for them. It just doesn't work. Stop defending the indefensible, chalk it up as a loss, and move on...
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#49 » by gswhoops » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:34 pm

skflives wrote:The benefits for the Lakers are non-existent....as in 20 million plus off their cap next year that was once owned by an old player coming off a major injury. That's the kind of non-existent everyone loves.

They clear off a contract...that they just signed, with the expressed goal of letting Kobe retire a Laker??

I don't think LA would see that as a benefit.
skflives
Banned User

Post#50 » by skflives » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:11 pm

old rem wrote:
Define SOLID... if you mean sinking like a brick...okay. Amare is gonna be damaged goods and 1 yr at $20 mill +.

Amare is damaged goods. He has almost no trade value.But Amare has proven a solid contributor if his minutes are used judiciously. So if we keep him for one more year the Knicks would be perfectly fine. Kobe is potentially just as damaged but costs a lot more.
skflives
Banned User

Post#51 » by skflives » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:12 pm

gswhoops wrote:They clear off a contract...that they just signed, with the expressed goal of letting Kobe retire a Laker??

Was the contract signed before or after the injury?
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#52 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Lakers already have a boatload of cap space for next year. Why trade Kobe Bryant? Makes no sense. If this trade were to go down Knicks would have to give up a lot of value including amare, multiple first round picks, multiple young prospects, and one or two promising young players... and that still might not be enough.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by gswhoops » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:17 pm

skflives wrote:
gswhoops wrote:They clear off a contract...that they just signed, with the expressed goal of letting Kobe retire a Laker??

After.

Bryant, who has not played since suffering a torn Achilles tendon in April, will make more than $30.4 million this season, the final year of his current contract.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... les-lakers
skflives
Banned User

Post#54 » by skflives » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:20 pm

gswhoops wrote:
skflives wrote:

After.

Bryant, who has not played since suffering a torn Achilles tendon in April, will make more than $30.4 million this season, the final year of his current contract.

So there goes your answer to the whole "They clear off a contract that they just signed" thing. Its one thing to get rid of a healthy superstar after he just signed an extention but its something else entirely when its an aging superstar coming off a major injury.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by gswhoops » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 pm

skflives wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
skflives wrote:

After.

So there goes your answer to the whole "They clear off a contract that they just signed" thing. Its one thing to get rid of a healthy superstar after he just signed an extention but its something else entirely when its an aging superstar coming off a major injury.

But they signed him to that contract after he was injured. Meaning they knew he was going to be dealing with it, and they signed him to that extension anyway. I doubt their minds have changed dramatically since then.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#56 » by turk3d » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 pm

gswhoops wrote:
skflives wrote:

But they signed him to that contract after he was injured. Meaning they knew he was going to be dealing with it, and they signed him to that extension anyway. I doubt their minds have changed dramatically since then.

My guess (and I'm only guessing was that they thought they would still have Dwight, and didn't expect Nash to wind up being perpetually hurt) since Kobe by himself (a coming off injury Kobe at that) would be a wise thing. They were expecting to make another run, but that's certainly not the case. It's likely that his contract will expire and they won't have much to show for it.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by jimmy keys » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:27 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Lakers already have a boatload of cap space for next year. Why trade Kobe Bryant? Makes no sense. If this trade were to go down Knicks would have to give up a lot of value including amare, multiple first round picks, multiple young prospects, and one or two promising young players... and that still might not be enough.

No one wants to play with Kobe, so who are the Lakers going to sign?
skflives
Banned User

Post#58 » by skflives » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:52 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Lakers already have a boatload of cap space for next year. Why trade Kobe Bryant? Makes no sense. If this trade were to go down Knicks would have to give up a lot of value including amare, multiple first round picks, multiple young prospects, and one or two promising young players... and that still might not be enough.

hahahaha funny
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#59 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:56 am

jimmy keys wrote:

No one wants to play with Kobe, so who are the Lakers going to sign?

You think you could trade cap space for kobe bryant? You are out of your mind. It isnt like he showed any signs of stopping before his injury. He's already shown he could play an old man type of game where he relies on his footwork and coordination not his athleticism.

This is pure nonsense. Again lakers have cap space to sign couple superstars if they wanted next summer. No need to throw away kobe for cap space.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:03 am

skflives wrote:

hahahaha funny

If it were another team, it might be too much but knicks dont have a lot of young promising talent. Shumpert, hardaway jr, and thats pretty much it. Put kobe and melo together in the east and im sure they would put the picks well past the lottery. That isnt even close to getting kobe bryant. Its laughable.

Return to Trades and Transactions