Gerald Wallace

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Blancoloco
Ballboy
And1: 6

Gerald Wallace  

Post#1 » by Blancoloco » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:46 pm

As a celtics fan, I am asking the posters on this site to stop putting Gerald Wallace in trades. No one wants his contract. He will not be a throw in to " make salaries work". No one wants to see the Celts get something....anything for him more than me, but in all reality it's not going to happen. This is not the crash of 6 years ago. This is an old ( by nba standards ) overpaid ( by all standards ) former all star that is in the final stages of a decent career.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Re: Gerald Wallace 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm

I don't think anyone is doing that? Most deals w/ him are trying to move his contract, noone thinks he's good.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#3 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:54 pm

The worst is over.
In 12 months he is a near perfect sized expiring that can bring back up to $15m in trade. Add some picks or prospects to that and you got yourself a player.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Arguably the worst contract in the league right now. It will have value 12 months from now as mentioned. Until then another season of a 8 figure contract player in twilight of their career.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:Arguably the worst contract in the league right now. It will have value 12 months from now as mentioned. Until then another season of a 8 figure contract player in twilight of their career.

I don't think a contract goes from having the most negative value in the league, to having value 12 months from now. It's gradual, and again I think the worst is over. Again in 12 months he is a near perfectly sized expiring contract and someone a team wouldn't care about trading for an sitting. It would be all about the assets attached.

Deron Williams is arguably the worst contract in the league though Kobe could be on top of the list if he is unable to come back at a high level.. or Rose for that matter. Also, Parsons and Hayward have some seriously negative potential if they don't perform after getting essentially max contracts. Wade (4/60 with his age and injuries) and Bosh (5/118 for a 30 year old who has been a role player, playing out of position) could be rather ugly contracts as well.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Jon Niednagel
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Jon Niednagel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:10 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:Arguably the worst contract in the league right now. It will have value 12 months from now as mentioned. Until then another season of a 8 figure contract player in twilight of their career.

I don't think a contract goes from having the most negative value in the league, to having value 12 months from now. It's gradual, and again I think the worst is over. Again in 12 months he is a near perfectly sized expiring contract and someone a team wouldn't care about trading for an sitting. It would be all about the assets attached.

Deron Williams is arguably the worst contract in the league though Kobe could be on top of the list if he is unable to come back at a high level.. or Rose for that matter. Also, Parsons and Hayward have some seriously negative potential if they don't perform after getting essentially max contracts. Wade (4/60 with his age and injuries) and Bosh (5/118 for a 30 year old who has been a role player, playing out of position) could be rather ugly contracts as well.

Very reasoned perspective. +1.

Gerald's contract is bad, and not inconsequential filler money at the moment; however, it may not be the “worst” contract out there. It sounds like everyone is on the same page here. It would be hard to include Gerald in a trade at this very moment without greatly incentivizing the deal, but that may not be the case in the near future. Patience will be a virtue for the Celtics.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:22 pm

Jon Niednagel wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

Very reasoned perspective. +1.

Gerald's contract is bad, and not inconsequential filler money at the moment; however, it may not be the “worst” contract out there. It sounds like everyone is on the same page here. It would be hard to include Gerald in a trade at this very moment without greatly incentivizing the deal, but that may not be the case in the near future. Patience will be a virtue for the Celtics.

Also, think of it this way.
If a team is trading a decent player for Wallace + assets, they probably are not a win now team.
Wallace wouldn't hurt their tank by playing, nor would it hurt them to sit him.
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#8 » by bs_and_cs » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:36 pm

The thing people ignore is the fact that Gerald Wallace is still a good role player in this league. Obviously it's nearly impossible to get past the contract at this point because if he were a FA this summer he'd have likely been signed for $2.5-$3.5M per year. But he is still a guy that could be useful on a winning team.

I mean just last year he had a .543 TS% and a .546 eFG% but his overall stats look terrible he took less significantly less shots than he has in the past because at this point in his career he knows his role. He still plays solid defense (not at the level it used to be, but still solid) and grabs some rebounds and passes the ball well. Most importantly he still gives you 110% when he is out on the court and is a really good veteran for a lot of the young guys on the Celtics to learn from.

Obviously no one is going to trade for a role player who is making $20.2 million over the next two years without incentive, which is exactly why Boston isn't shopping him right now. They are going to wait 12 months and move him next offseason when they actually start working towards their goal of building a championship contender.
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#9 » by AKFO » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:57 pm

I think every Celtics fan on this site realizes a pick would have to be thrown in to get rid of Gerald Wallace.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#10 » by deneem4 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

Amare is the worst...hands down
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:55 pm

deneem4 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

Amare expires after this season.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#12 » by deneem4 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:I don't think a contract goes from having the most negative value in the league, to having value 12 months from now. It's gradual, and again I think the worst is over. Again in 12 months he is a near perfectly sized expiring contract and someone a team wouldn't care about trading for an sitting. It would be all about the assets attached.

And the knicks still can't trade it, even with assets attached.
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#13 » by gswhoops » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

This gets overlooked all too often here, IMO. Expiring contracts, in and of themselves, are NOT inherently "valuable." Their value is derived from 1. how much future salary you're willing to take on and 2. their ability to make a deal centered on cheap assets for a highly paid player league-legal.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:18 pm

deneem4 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
deneem4 wrote:

And the knicks still can't trade it, even with assets attached.

Who says they've tried and why would they want to?
He and Bargani expire at the same time and are why they can afford a max player next summer.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#15 » by damecurry » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

um, how is Joe Johnson left off this list?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm

damecurry wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

um, how is Joe Johnson left off this list?

Only has two years left, has been the Nets best player over the last two years including a great RS, PO and making the AS team for the 7th time in 8 years last year. He's also been probably the most clutch player in the league as a Net.

Also what list did I make?
I simply said D.Will is the worst contract
Though...if Kobe stays injured he's got a worse contract as does Rose.

And I mentioned the negative potential of giving max/near maxes to Hayward and Parsons...especially GH with his 4 year deal.

Finally I mentioned Wade who just got a 4 year 60m deal with his age and injuries. While Bosh got $22m a year for 5 years at age 30.

There were plenty of other examples I could have gotten to including JJ.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#17 » by 165bows » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:04 pm

bondom34 wrote:I don't think anyone is doing that? Most deals w/ him are trying to move his contract, noone thinks he's good.

Can we change the title to Jeff Green? Sure, he's not great, but he starts and doesn't have an obvious better replacement, and he was the team's leading scorer last year. Pretty sure Boston is not just dumping the guy to add, say another PF to the roster.

Edit - though I would be interested in a list of worst contracts in the league, ordered from very worst to say 30th worst. Might be a good thread to start here or wherever it belongs.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#18 » by bondom34 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 pm

165bows wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I don't think anyone is doing that? Most deals w/ him are trying to move his contract, noone thinks he's good.

Can we change the title to Jeff Green? Sure, he's not great, but he starts and doesn't have an obvious better replacement, and he was the team's leading scorer last year. Pretty sure Boston is not just dumping the guy to add, say another PF to the roster.

Edit - though I would be interested in a list of worst contracts in the league, ordered from very worst to say 30th worst. Might be a good thread to start here or wherever it belongs.

We had a vote for the 15 worst back in February (granted Wallace wasn't an expiring yet, so he's the 2nd worst):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1304299

And Green is a much more interesting case to me. He's good, but just overpaid enough to be a slight bother to move. He has a limited market, but almost needs a slight sweetener or a bad deal coming back. Weird.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Amare Stoudamire. Nuff said. Wallace is horrible. But wait a couple seasons an see how many signed this summer are looking equally horrible.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#20 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 pm

AKFO wrote:I think every Celtics fan on this site realizes a pick would have to be thrown in to get rid of Gerald Wallace.

He'd have to be going to some team like Milwaukee, Philly or Orlando and I'd bet they'd want at least 1 #1 pick.

Return to Trades and Transactions