Greg Monroe signs Q/O (per Woj Done deal)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who won the q/o?

Monroe. He will get some $$$$$ next year.
16%
Detroit. Cheap year of Monroe.
No votes
Detroit. Watch them flip him still (even without Bird rights).
3%
Both. (Neither lost flexibility?)
3%
Both. Watch a trade happen later that is best for both (Monroe can veto a trade)
10%
Neither. This was terrible for everyone involved.
68%

Total votes: 31

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Greg Monroe signs Q/O (per Woj Done deal) 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Updated:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/508032313314508800[/tweet]

From Woj, so that is pretty official.

Spoiler:
Forward-center Greg Monroe has informed the Detroit Pistons' he will accept the qualifying offer, play for Detroit in 2014-15 and become an unrestricted free agent next summer, two people familiar with Monroe's plan told USA TODAY Sports.

The people requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about Monroe's decision.

Monroe, 24, was a restricted free agent this summer but decided not to sign an offer sheet with another team or sign a multiyear extension with the Pistons.

He instead will be one of the most highly sought-after free agents next offseason.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /12940893/

UPDATE:

SVG says that Monroe hasn't informed team of QO

Neither Greg Monroe nor his agent has told the Detroit Pistons of the player's plans to sign a qualifying offer and secure his unrestricted free agency next season, according to Stan Van Gundy, but a USA Today report that the big man intends to take that option could signal a short-term future for him with the team.

The USA Today report indicated Monroe has informed the Pistons of his decision to sign the qualifying offer. Van Gundy indicated late Tuesday that he has not been so notified.

Van Gundy consistently has said it is in the team's best interest to sign Monroe to a long-term deal, which he reiterated late Tuesday. But the two sides have not reached terms, Van Gundy has hinted that there are financial thresholds the team doesn't care to exceed in a new contract, and having Monroe for one more year at a cut-rate salary certainly would benefit the team in the short term.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/ ... d_det.html
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Re: USA Today: Greg Monroe to Accept 1-Year QO 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:20 am

Sucks for Detroit to be sure. I get why Monroe is doing this tho after the market completely dried up on him. Will be interesting to see if some of the shooters Detroit brought in do enough to solve some of the spacing issues to let him have a big year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:37 am

Very interesting...in the age of the fast-rising cap perhaps it's not surprising that in-their-prime players aren't rushing to sign long-term deals.

Also a good case study for those who like to say "first round picks are great, you control them for seven years!" No, you don't.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#4 » by princeofpalace » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:57 am

Chuck Texas wrote:Sucks for Detroit to be sure. I get why Monroe is doing this tho after the market completely dried up on him. Will be interesting to see if some of the shooters Detroit brought in do enough to solve some of the spacing issues to let him have a big year.

From USATODAY

He received two max offers this offseason, but a sign-and-trade deal could not be reached, a person familiar with situation said.

Sounds like the offers had to come from teams needing a S&T to get it done but nothing could make that happen.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /13967777/
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#5 » by the_process » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:19 am

princeofpalace wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:Sucks for Detroit to be sure. I get why Monroe is doing this tho after the market completely dried up on him. Will be interesting to see if some of the shooters Detroit brought in do enough to solve some of the spacing issues to let him have a big year.

From USATODAY

He received two max offers this offseason, but a sign-and-trade deal could not be reached, a person familiar with situation said.

Sounds like the offers had to come from teams needing a S&T to get it done but nothing could make that happen.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /13967777/

My guesses are Denver and Boston. Other possibilities include San Antonio, Oklahoma City, or New York.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#6 » by blind prophet » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:21 am

Not only do I respect Monroe for doing this, takes some balls not to take sure money...

I'm equally pleased a few organizations are playing within their means, too many bad contracts out there.

I'd like to see more FO say nope take it or leave it, and more players leave it themselves.

Good for the game long term if this becomes a regular thing.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#7 » by The59Sound » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:08 am

loserX wrote:Very interesting...in the age of the fast-rising cap perhaps it's not surprising that in-their-prime players aren't rushing to sign long-term deals.

Also a good case study for those who like to say "first round picks are great, you control them for seven years!" No, you don't.

It's not a certainty, of course, but this is one of only a handful times in NBA history that a quality player has chosen to play out his QO. History still largely supports the notion that you'll have control of a draftee for longer than four years.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#8 » by shrink » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:15 am

The59Sound wrote:
loserX wrote:Very interesting...in the age of the fast-rising cap perhaps it's not surprising that in-their-prime players aren't rushing to sign long-term deals.

It's not a certainty, of course, but this is one of only a handful times in NBA history that a quality player has chosen to play out his QO. History still largely supports the notion that you'll have control of a draftee for longer than four years.

Exactly. Besides crazy Ben Gordon, who else has done this when they could sign their name and be guaranteed $50+ million dollars, with only rookie scale in the bank.

To me, this is one of the three biggest, most history-making, stories of the summer. and a passing thought ... Since this happened right before new CBA negotiations, do the non-major markets see this as a hole in their CBA that they need to close? Personally, i thought the ability to sign a player a year early was more than enough to keep your sane stars.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
loserX

Post#9 » by loserX » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:16 am

The59Sound wrote:

All true, you generally have a good chance...but it's usually thrown around in absolute terms. If the truth is that you might or actually might not control him, then by definition you don't control him :wink:

Much like other free agents, you have to pay the guy what he wants or risk losing him (although you do get the one extra year).
kevinwinsatlife
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#10 » by kevinwinsatlife » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:28 am

Bad sign for pistons
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#11 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:35 am

loserX wrote:
The59Sound wrote:

All true, you generally have a good chance...but it's usually thrown around in absolute terms. If the truth is that you might or actually might not control him, then by definition you don't control him :wink:

Much like other free agents, you have to pay the guy what he wants or risk losing him (although you do get the one extra year).

So what you're saying is, you say you control him, but you don't, I see what you see that I see that you see. See?

Is this the best player to ever take the QO? I can't remember anyone who did this who was ever really an above average player.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
loserX

Post#12 » by loserX » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:57 pm

bondom34 wrote:
loserX wrote:All true, you generally have a good chance...but it's usually thrown around in absolute terms. If the truth is that you might or actually might not control him, then by definition you don't control him :wink:

So what you're saying is, you say you control him, but you don't, I see what you see that I see that you see. See?

More like "guaranteed leakproof...unless it leaks" :D

bondom34 wrote:Is this the best player to ever take the QO? I can't remember anyone who did this who was ever really an above average player.

I certainly can't think of any better off the top of my head. (And it should be pointed out, as usual, that this is not official yet!) Will be curious to see if Bledsoe follows suit or not.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#13 » by LApwnd » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Josh Smith contract still paying dividends....if he wasn't around, I'm sure Det. would've easily given Monore more money, still not max but more than whats been offered.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#14 » by LApwnd » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:18 pm

loserX wrote:I certainly can't think of any better off the top of my head. (And it should be pointed out, as usual, that this is not official yet!) Will be curious to see if Bledsoe follows suit or not.

not better but the 2 I can recall were Olowakandi and B. Gordon....Gordon still managed to get similar money while Olowakandi got hurt all that season and ended up getting the mle from Minn.
youOK
Pro Prospect
And1: 569

Post#15 » by youOK » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:25 pm

I would have to think that if he is not in their long term plans, the Pistons would try to work out a sign and trade with someone before he officially signs the QO. Once he signs it no one will want to trade for him. Even now they are probably pretty limited in what they would get back and it will probably end up being some role player.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#16 » by Smitty731 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:56 pm

loserX wrote:
I certainly can't think of any better off the top of my head. (And it should be pointed out, as usual, that this is not official yet!) Will be curious to see if Bledsoe follows suit or not.

I wonder if this almost gives Bledsoe a little more leverage, as opposed to the other way. Monroe was the only other guy who might have seen big money in this FA class. I wonder if Bledsoe now might get an offer from a team that may have rather have had Monroe. Cap space, or available money through S&T, seems to burn a hole in the pocket of many teams. Someone may yet still throw a big offer Bledsoe's way.
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#17 » by lakersin4 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Welcome to LA Greg.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:32 pm

If they had offered him a max contract, he probably signs it. You don't control your first round picks if you aren't willing to pay them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
loserX wrote:

I wonder if this almost gives Bledsoe a little more leverage, as opposed to the other way. Monroe was the only other guy who might have seen big money in this FA class. I wonder if Bledsoe now might get an offer from a team that may have rather have had Monroe. Cap space, or available money through S&T, seems to burn a hole in the pocket of many teams. Someone may yet still throw a big offer Bledsoe's way.

Philly is the only team with cap space left to offer Bledsoe the max. Monroe has never had a serious injury. Bledsoe has had two. I'd be shocked if Bledsoe played out the year on a qualifying offer. What he, and his agent, don't appreciate is that Phoenix doesn't want to offer him a guaranteed max deal for the same reason he doesn't want to play out the season on a QO. He could get injured again. He should take less guaranteed money and give Phoenix a TO on the last year in exchange for a higher overall salary.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#20 » by Smitty731 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Philly is the only team with cap space left to offer Bledsoe the max. Monroe has never had a serious injury. Bledsoe has had two. I'd be shocked if Bledsoe played out the year on a qualifying offer. What he, and his agent, don't appreciate is that Phoenix doesn't want to offer him a guaranteed max deal for the same reason he doesn't want to play out the season on a QO. He could get injured again. He should take less guaranteed money and give Phoenix a TO on the last year in exchange for a higher overall salary.

Philly is the only team with enough to outright offer him the max, but plenty of other teams can put together attractive S&T options. Get Phoenix to bite on one of those, and Bledsoe could still see a huge offer.

I've actually been thinking something for Indiana could make sense. Word is they want Dragic more, but if they could get Bledsoe in a S&T for an expiring contract and/or big man, I'd think Phoenix would listen. West would be terrific for Phoenix. He isn't the shooter that Frye was, but he bring an element of leadership and toughness that Phoenix could use. And their cap is in such good shape, that it wouldn't hurt them going forward to have his deal. I think West and someone else to balance salaries makes for more sense than the Hibbert deals I've seen.

Return to Trades and Transactions