Pelicans and Timberwolves

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Pelicans and Timberwolves 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Minnesota trades: J.J. Barea, Corey Brewer, Kevin Martin
Minnesota acquires: Eric Gordon

New Orleans trades: Eric Gordon
New Orleans acquires: J.J. Barea, Corey Brewer, Kevin Martin

Why for Minnesota? They clear the wing logjam and free up minutes for Wiggins. They can see if Gordon can stay healthy and be the longterm solution at SG. His deal is also shorter than Martin's is by a year.

Why for New Orleans? Their other moves this offseason have them giving signs of being all in on making the playoffs. They have a hole at SF about a mile wide. Brewer would give them great defense at that spot. Asik, Davis and Brewer could be the best defensive frontcourt in the league. Evans and Martin can hold down the SG spot. Different players who give different looks on offense. And Barea fills the backup PG spot. I don't think Rivers or Fredette is the answer there. If nothing else Barea expires at the end of the year, and they fill the spot next year.

Thoughts?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,178

Re: Pelicans and Timberwolves 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 pm

I like it for Minny but I'm not sure how N.O. solves its log jam in the guard rotation by trading one guard for two.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I like it for Minny but I'm not sure how N.O. solves its log jam in the guard rotation by trading one guard for two.

I'll tell you how - switch Barea for Budinger. Done and...done.
NOLA Glasses
Senior
And1: 131

Post#4 » by NOLA Glasses » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Minny dumps long term money and New Orleans adds talent. Makes sense on the surface for both sides in my opinion.

I definitely like it for the Pels. Martin could fit better on offense next to Jrue and Reke than Gordon, Brewer could provide good solid depth and defense at the 2/3 and Barea is just the price you pay for dealing a contract like Gordon.
New Orleans love.
NOLA Glasses
Senior
And1: 131

Post#5 » by NOLA Glasses » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I like it for Minny but I'm not sure how N.O. solves its log jam in the guard rotation by trading one guard for two.

I like this even better than the original offer. We need shooters way more than... Whatever Barea provides.
New Orleans love.
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#6 » by Ricepilar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:58 pm

I like it for both teams. Why not also send Austin Rivers to Minnesota?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#7 » by shrink » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:04 pm

I want to like this deal, but Eric Gordon with a 15% Trade Kicker costs $35 mil for the next two years. He is a lot farther from being worth that contract than the Wolves package. Martin is 3 years at $7 mil each, Brewer and Budinger are two years at $5 mil each, and Barea is a $4.5 mil expiring.

If Barea's expiring is in the deal for Budinger, there is not even any savings. If he's the one excluded, MIN saves $5 mil over three years.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#8 » by Smitty731 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:32 pm

I wasn't sure that New Orleans would want the extra 5 million next year that Budinger comes with. That is why I went with Barea. I think Barea can still add something as a scoring PG off the bench. It wasn't all that long ago that he was a key reason Dallas won the title.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#9 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:40 pm

shrink wrote:I want to like this deal, but Eric Gordon with a 15% Trade Kicker costs $35 mil for the next two years. He is a lot farther from being worth that contract than the Wolves package. Martin is 3 years at $7 mil each, Brewer and Budinger are two years at $5 mil each, and Barea is a $4.5 mil expiring.

If Barea's expiring is in the deal for Budinger, there is not even any savings. If he's the one excluded, MIN saves $5 mil over three years.

Martin+Brwer+Budinger=40 mil. Gordon with a trade kicker = 35 mil. So it saves 5 mil plus it's paid out in 2 years, not 3 in case of Martin. It also creates room for young Twolves to get their playing time. It also works for Pels as they get a lot of depth for one overpaid player.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:58 pm

shrink wrote:I want to like this deal, but Eric Gordon with a 15% Trade Kicker costs $35 mil for the next two years. He is a lot farther from being worth that contract than the Wolves package. Martin is 3 years at $7 mil each, Brewer and Budinger are two years at $5 mil each, and Barea is a $4.5 mil expiring.

Since Gordon signed in the new CBA, I believe the trade kicker would be paid by NOP, not Minnesota.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#11 » by breatnach » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:08 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:

I like the original one better (can't emphasize how badly I want to get rid of Barea), but I would probably pull the trigger on the 2nd one as well.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#12 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:12 am

Yes for me. I still like Gordon, and we got to trim a couple of roster spots to open up minutes for Wiggins/Lavine/GR3/Shabazz.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,718

Post#13 » by slicedbread2 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:03 am

I was just thinking of this deal. To be honest, if the T-Wolves can send Budinger as well with Barea and take back some non-guaranteed dudes to help keep the Pelicans' roster at 15 for a medium risk, high reward guy in Gordon, they should do it. Plus they can return the top-55 protected pick that's owed to them from NOLA if the Pelicans desire to do so. Plus they can finally sign Robinson III.

For NOLA, they should do it. Gordon doesn't fit in NOLA now and they've been looking to move him. This would be a great deal.

Edit:

I think with the trade thing, If I were Minnesota, I'd rather send out Budinger than Barea knowing that Budinger has an extra year on his deal whereas Barea's deal is done after the year.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,499

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:41 am

Minnesota should definitely look at this. My idea was Joe Johnson, but he is more expensive than all four combined and Wolves fans didn't like it.

But with Eric Gordon, it's a bit cheaper and opens up minutes. And Eric Gordon is still young and didn't really have that bad of an on-court season.. For those that watched him, might agree. He was just a lower usage player with Jrue on the team and he played well in the role.. And was healthy for the majority of the season.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#15 » by Mykhyn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:51 am

I really like the deal with Bud instead. All 3 would fill a nice role. I'd like the Pelicans chances of the playoffs.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#16 » by shangrila » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:48 am

I'm a little hesitant. I actually like Martin and Bud here for the short term. Both provide shooting, which this team will struggle with even with them, and neither has a crippling contract, plus Martin is still a decent scorer and we'll need that from him.

On the other hand the savings are undeniable and if its Bud rather than Barea it doesn't hurt our capspace for next year either.

But still, I'm freaking tired of losing so I'd have to say a reluctant no.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#17 » by shrink » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:50 am

If the goal of this trade for MIN is to save a small amount of money (maybe, unless Barea is in the deal), and create playing time for Wiggins, there is another solution -- buy someone out.

The fact that Eric Gordon is paid so much is not a good thing unless he can turn that salary into the same level of production. Joe Johnson? C'mon.

If MIN buys someone out, they will get better production from the remaining three, and have better contracts. I would have gambled on Eric Gordon last year in an attempt to keep Love, but now it doesn't make sense.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#18 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:00 am

shrink wrote:If the goal of this trade for MIN is to save a small amount of money (maybe, unless Barea is in the deal), and create playing time for Wiggins, there is another solution -- buy someone out.

The fact that Eric Gordon is paid so much is not a good thing unless he can turn that salary into the same level of production. Joe Johnson? C'mon.

If MIN buys someone out, they will get better production from the remaining three, and have better contracts. I would have gambled on Eric Gordon last year in an attempt to keep Love, but now it doesn't make sense.

I would do Martin/Bud/Barea for him. Gordon should offer about the same on court value as Martin. Less scoring, more playmaking/defense. His deal is essentially 2 years/$30m. Martin and Bud are owed $31m, with Martin having 3 years on his deal. I think it's worth that deal. Bud hasn't shown to be healthy here, Martin provides little outside of scoring(and he's 31), and we all know about Barea.

Gordon - 15.4 - 3.3 assists - 2.6 rebounds - 1.2 steals - 43 / 39 / 78(3.5 attempts). He averaged more FTA before his injury, but he is at least someone who can create his own shot off the dribble for us.

Martin - 19.1 - 3 rebounds - 1.8 assits - 1 steal - 43 / 38 / 89(5 attempts)

They are offering very similar production. Martin has an extra year, and Gordon is owed nearly double the salary. There's also the upside that EG can return to some of his old form, or improve since he is 6 years younger then Martin. Being able to dump Bud who has played less then half of the minutes Gordon has the last 2 years would make me okay with doing the deal.

Return to Trades and Transactions