Kings | Nets trade.... KG

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Kings | Nets trade.... KG 

Post#1 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Nets trade:
Kevin Garnett

Kings trade:
Jason Thompson or Carl Landry
Derrick williams

Why for nets: Clear up the logjam at center while adding a PF to the roster. Allows plumlee to play more minutes at center and not need to transition to PF fulltime.

why for kings: clear 6m in salary next season. bring in KG to add some veteran prescene and a winning attitiude to a team that is ready to make a run to get into the playoffs.

not sure if kings fans would do it with derrick williams involved, thompson and landry for KG works salary wise but i dont think the nets can take on 12M on their 2016 cap. 6M wouldnt kill us but 12M would be tough
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: Kings | Nets trade.... KG 

Post#2 » by kalenclayton » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 pm

I think this trade is solid! Garnett would have to agree to it, and I'm not sure he does. I think he would be excellent next to Cousins. He'd be a great mentor as well. There might be concerns about a clash between the two, but I don't think that would happen. They would fire each other up and make this team a playoff team this year.
Barring injury, SAS, OKC, LAC, DAL, POR, and GSW are all locks for the playoffs. That leaves SAC, HOU, MEM, NOP, and PHO fighting zero the last spots. Garnett's defense, leadership, and just overall gameplay could just push them over the hump.

Collison - McCallum
McLemore - Stauskas - Terry
Gay - Casspi - Ellington
Garnett - Landry - Evans
Cousins - Moreland
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#3 » by bpcox05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Prokorov wrote:Nets trade:
Kevin Garnett

Kings trade:
Derrick williams

Why for nets: Clear up the logjam at center while adding a PF to the roster. Allows plumlee to play more minutes at center and not need to transition to PF fulltime.

why for kings: clear 6m in salary next season. bring in KG to add some veteran prescene and a winning attitiude to a team that is ready to make a run to get into the playoffs.

not sure if kings fans would do it with derrick williams involved, thompson and landry for KG works salary wise but i dont think the nets can take on 12M on their 2016 cap. 6M wouldnt kill us but 12M would be tough

I would do this trade if it was Landry and Williams.

Garnett would come in and start next to Cousins and focus on rebounding, defense, and shooting (or whatever he has left) to compliment his skillset. I like the idea of surrounding Garnett and Evans around Cousins for a year. Both have been very hard workers during their career and both having winning mentalities.

The fact that Garnett is an expiring would also be a benefit to us. Next offseason we would have Cousins as our franchise cornerstone, Thompson as our ideal third big off the bench, and Moreland as our defensive, shotblocking project. All we would need is a legitimate defensive, shotblocking big next to Cousins and we would have our frontcourt set. Not to mention it would be a very efficient frontcourt as far as salary goes.

Next offseason, the Kings would still have these players on the books:

PG - Collison/McCallum
SG - Stauskas/McLemore
SF - Gay (extended)
PF - ??? (FA signing or trade)/Moreland
C - Cousins/Thompson

That team is finally looking like they are managing their cap well.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,147

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:17 pm

I'm struggling to see why the Nets do this trade. I also wonder whether the owner would do this. That luxury tax bill seems to have woken him up a little.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#5 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:19 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
Kevin Garnett

Kings trade:
Derrick williams

Garnett would come in and start next to Cousins and focus on rebounding, defense, and shooting (or whatever he has left) to compliment his skillset. I like the idea of surrounding Garnett and Evans around Cousins for a year. Both have been very hard workers during their career and both having winning mentalities.

The fact that Garnett is an expiring would also be a benefit to us. Next offseason we would have Cousins as our franchise cornerstone, Thompson as our ideal third big off the bench, and Moreland as our defensive, shotblocking project. All we would need is a legitimate defensive, shotblocking big next to Cousins and we would have our frontcourt set. Not to mention it would be a very efficient frontcourt as far as salary goes.

PG - Collison/McCallum
SG - Stauskas/McLemore
SF - Gay (extended)
C - Cousins/Thompson

I dont know that KG play the 4. It was pretty clear last year that he cant defend the position. while his shooting was down last year im confident he can still hit that 18 footer and he can still rebound. i think his days as a PF are over. if you havea C who can gaurd $'s that allows KG to be the 4 on offense and 5 on defense that could work. either way im not sure he is more then a 12-15 mpg player at this stage. he looked REALLY washed up last year and thast 3 years in a row of major decline.

that said, i think from an intangables/leadership standpoint he is a good fit for a team like the kings transitioning from a younger team to one with some vets ready to try and make a playoff run. and beyond this year he has said he wants to get into a coaching or front office role.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'm struggling to see why the Nets do this trade. I also wonder whether the owner would do this. That luxury tax bill seems to have woken him up a little.

Tax is a non issue. nets are more then willing to spend it.

We would do it because we need a PF and we have a logjam at center. KG isnt a good fit here, lowry or thompson would be better fits. We also need more bodies we can rely on being in the lineup, KG isnt someone you can rely on to play 70 games or 20 minutes
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#7 » by bpcox05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:
bpcox05 wrote:
Kevin Garnett

Kings trade:
Derrick williams

PG - Collison/McCallum
SG - Stauskas/McLemore
SF - Gay (extended)
C - Cousins/Thompson

I dont know that KG play the 4. It was pretty clear last year that he cant defend the position. while his shooting was down last year im confident he can still hit that 18 footer and he can still rebound. i think his days as a PF are over. if you havea C who can gaurd $'s that allows KG to be the 4 on offense and 5 on defense that could work. either way im not sure he is more then a 12-15 mpg player at this stage. he looked REALLY washed up last year and thast 3 years in a row of major decline.

that said, i think from an intangables/leadership standpoint he is a good fit for a team like the kings transitioning from a younger team to one with some vets ready to try and make a playoff run. and beyond this year he has said he wants to get into a coaching or front office role.

I still would do it. Play Thompson and Evans all of the PF minutes and have Garnett backup Cousins for 13-15 mpg.

I mainly do this trade for the cap relief next season. The 2015 season is when the Kings are going to have a lot of cap room. Shedding Landry's contract only adds to that. If we extend Gay to a 4 year/$52 mil contract, the Kings would have a little under $21 mil in cap space next year. That gives the Kings ability to go after a big time free agent next year (Rondo, Dragic, K. Thompson, J. Butler, K. Leonard, Love, M. Gasol, Asik, and D. Jordan).

Personally, I would like to see us go after Dragic hard and then pick up one of the lower tiered big men/rim protectors (E. Davis, J. Hill, R. Lopez, or K. O'quinn) and a backup SF (J. Taylor, Singler, Middleton, C. Butler, or D. Wright) to round out the lineup. If we succeed, our lineup looks like this going into next year:

PG - Dragic/Collison/McCallum
SG - McLemore/Stauskas
SF - Gay/Middleton
PF - O'Quinn/Moreland
C - Cousins/Thompson

This team has quite a bit of youth that would need to continue to develop to have a shot at a championship (Cousins, O'Quinn, Moreland, Middleton, Stauskas, McLemore, McCallum), but I think this team could become an elite team in the west if everything falls into line...

- Cousins is a #1 option already, but he has improved each season and is turning into quite the defensive player as well
- O'Quinn needs to focus/continue to improve on his defense, shotblocking, rebounding, and his perimeter shooting
- Thompson needs to keep playing the way he's been playing and he will be a great third big
- Moreland needs to refine his overall game, but he has the defensive ability to be a force in this league
- Gay needs to keep playing like he did all last year and be an efficient #2 option
- Middleton needs to continue to work towards being a 3 and D player who can guard both 2s and 3s
- McLemore needs to work on becoming a 3 and D SG who gets out on the break
- Stauskas needs to keep developing all of his sills (shooting, ball handling, playmaking, etc.) and work towards becoming a Ginobli level player who can come off the bench and provide playmaking and scoring
- Dragic needs to scale his scoring back and become the distributor he showed he is before playing with Bledsoe
- Collison needs to be the steady PG that he is and pester opposing PGs on defense when he is in
- McCallum needs to keep doing what he's doing. He's shown improvement already and he could allow us to move Collison if a better trade comes up

I know there are a lot of ifs, but if your team had the ability to become this team...

PG - Dragic/Collison/J. Nelson (McCallum)
SG - D. Green (McLemore)/Ginobli (Stauskas)
SF - Gay/Ariza (Middleton)
PF - Gibson (O'Quinn)/Henson (Moreland)
C - Cousins/Thompson

...I think it's worth going for.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#8 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking. KG gives you a large expiring while he can also provide excellent minutes backing up the 5 as long as you limit him to 60 games and 15 minutes. He can also bring a veteran presence and is perfect for a team transitioning to try and compete for a playoff spot.

for the nets we get bodies at the PF spot, get guys who can be counted on more to be in the lineup.

seems like a win-win
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#9 » by Austincys21 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Nets say no. I think they'd rather save the money and give it to Mirza
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#10 » by Leto » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I think the Kings love this. I don't think the Nets are getting enough for eating that salary.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#11 » by loserX » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Does KG still have a no-trade clause? Can't imagine going to a basement team in the murderously difficult West is going to be very enticing to him.

And I agree that trading *any* expiring for Landry means the Nets are getting hosed.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#12 » by blind prophet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Sacramento is robbing you, Take a second back in the trade as well.

Kings say yes even if KG never steps on the floor.

Return to Trades and Transactions